• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 2,912 Views, 70 Comments

Society as We Know It - Comma Typer



While the Changeling Kingdom is being rebuilt under the rule of King Thorax, many changelings are finding it hard to fit in to their new lives. So, some of them take off to travel Equestria on their free days.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,912

PreviousChapters Next
History Book

Empis held the big book close to his chest. The pages were white and the cover was unstained from any dirt. Surrounded by trees, he sat down on the grass and opened the book.

A cool gust of wind, a far away sound of ponies playing in the park. The leaves and the grass gave off a fresh aroma. Chirping birds were in the air and on the branches. Bag in hoof, Empis read.

"'If one wants to read about the history of Equestria, then you've come to the right book. While other history books abound, this is the most comprehensive, the most exhaustive, the most researched, and the most sought-out book concerning Equestria's history—from before its founding to the present day (as of the publishing of this edition).

"'Equestria is a land of a rich past. From before Equestria's official existence, there were already ponies—heroes and heroines—who performed feats of not only great might and expert prowess, but who also had the ideals of friendship in mind and in heart. They were the ones who undoubtedly paved the way to the uniting of the Three Pony Tribes, forming Equestria as we know it.

"'Then began the era of the two Princesses—Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Leading a young nation of ponies, they kept Equestria safe and fine as the country of ponies. With their knowledge and magic, under the training of Starswirl the Bearded, they governed Equestria in a time wrought by troubles, foes, and uncertainties—evil magical creatures threatening to destroy all that the ponies have built over the decades, and the surrounding kingdoms and countries whose opinions of Equestria varied from close friendship to distant enemies.

"'As everyone knows, especially us ponies, there was the time when Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon. It was a sad night—Princess Celestia having to banish her own sister to the moon.

"'Yet, despite the sorrow of it, this began the famous and popular age of the sole rulership of Princess Celestia. It was during this long era of peace and prosperity that Equestria slowly became the power that it is today—the spread and expansion of ponies into various, untrodden areas; the flourishing of pony culture as ponies created various forms of creative pursuit, experimenting and innovating to make new ways of conveying the ideas and the concepts and the emotions of the time; the establishing of an official military that, through the centuries, was bolstered with bolder ponies who not only defended Equestria but also inspired ponies to do their part in protecting Equestria. This, combined with Princess Celestia's political efforts to be as friendly as possible with Equestria's neighboring countries while having a firm hoof in case things went awry, brought Equestria from its small and humble beginnings into a great time of friendship.

"'Then, after a long time of Princess Celestia's rule, Nightmare Moon returned to Equestria to bring in eternal night. However, six ponies defeated Nightmare Moon through the magic of friendship: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. It turned out that not only did they defeat Nightmare Moon, but that they were also the embodiments of the Elements of Harmony—Applejack was honest, Rainbow Dash was loyal, Rarity was generous, Fluttershy was kind, Pinkie Pie brought laughter, and Twilight Sparkle had magic. With the return of Princess Luna to the throne, the two sisters ruled together again.

"'Princess Celestia allowed Twilight Sparkle to study the magic of friendship with her newfound friends in Ponyville. So began the journey of these six friendly ponies as they not only learned the magic of friendship together, but also spreading it to wherever they went and to whoever they met. This brought the ponies, who were already well-known for their friendly attitude, even closer together as friends.

"'Then, Twilight Sparkle became an alicorn. Now, she was a Princess.

"'The journey of friendship continued on. She became the Princess of Friendship; she and her friends discovered more and more about the magic of friendship. With their help, Equestria became more friendly with various kingdoms—Yakyakistan, Griffonstone, the Dragon Lands, the Changeling Kingdom/Hive. With not only ponies but other creatures living and prospering in Equestria, this is what Equestria is in the current time: a powerful, creative, and friendly nation of ponies led by kind and considering leaders as they seek only peace and friendship for all the creatures of the land.

"'It's well-understood that knowing history is no game. It is true that a lot of the events that are to be described here are not so cleanly cut and simple. However, this understanding of history—of what happened, of where it happened, of who made it happen, of how it happened, and of why it happened—enriches the mind with what is good. We learn from our past to make sure that our future will be brighter without also forgetting the present, to make it as worthwhile and as good as we can make it. Helping out a friend, reconciling with foes—the magic of friendship seen throughout history is that same magic that emanates everywhere you see at least one friendly pony—or any friendly creature for that matter. Even those who are only learning the basics of friendship have that magic of friendship.

"'And, surely, the magic of friendship that persisted from pre-Equestria times to the present day shall continue on into the future.

"'But, of course, to go into a great future, one must understand the past and see what can be done in the present.

"'The accomplishment of that is the goal of this history book. We, the authors and the editors, hope that this proves to be an invaluable resource not just to your library but to your life as well.'"

Then, Empis flipped a page.

He looked behind him.

The sound of ponies playing in the park still persisted. Besides that, it was very quiet with the chirping of the birds wherever they were and also with the rush of the cool breeze. Some leaves fell to the ground.

Empis looked at the book. "This is going to be good book." He smiled and read.


"I don't know how you would be OK with carrying that around in your bag," Twilight said, eyeing Empis who was holding the book.

Several ponies were reading books in the castle's library. Some of them were sitting down, reading at the wooden tables; others were standing up, reading either with their hooves or with their magic (levitating the book).

"Not to mention that you want another book to borrow," Twilight went on. "Are you sure you're completely fine with that arrangement?"

Empis nodded. "It's completely fine by me."

Twilight stayed silent as she inspected the bag and the changeling from where she was. "What if I say that it's not fine?"

"Why?"

"Because, how are you capable of going around without perhaps bumping into somepony because of your book?"

"I can manage, Twilight," Empis said, smiling as he did so. "I can assure you."

"I need more assuring than that," Twilight said. "Sorry, but I don't think you'll be able to get through the day properly carrying that heavy book around in your bag. It's too unwieldy and it's also too big if you want to carry it around with your hooves, which is even worse than just carrying it in your bag. Do you get what I mean?"

Empis glanced at the book. Then, he looked at Twilight. "Alright. You've convinced me."

Twilight smiled. "That's going to help you, uh, stay in shape!"

"What's gonna help me stay in shape?"

"Not stressing your body unnecessarily."

Empis blinked.

Twilight sat, beckoned Empis to follow with a hoof, and sat down at a round wooden table. Empis sat down beside her.

"They're printing out so many copies of 'Equestrian History,' they can't keep up with the sudden rise of demand!" Twilight said. She placed a hoof on the cover of the book. "Schools always ask for this book above all else. We ponies love a good story or two."

"I can see that." Empis looked at the vast shelves of books of varying descriptions.

Twilight grinned as he looked. "Colts and fillies love it because they end up having their own favorite historical figures—the colorful illustrations and laid-back writing helps. Teachers love it because it's well-researched and well-written—it's very in-depth and encyclopedic in its breadth and, uh, depth of knowledge. The everyday reader loves it because it has so many pages to read through and it's about reality!"

Empis nodded. Then, putting his hoof on his chin, he said, "My friends were right in telling me that you were a lover of books."

"How did you not know?" Twilight said, gesturing a hoof towards the wide bookshelves. Then, she took in a deep breath. "Of course, I'm not supposed to be shooting magical lasers, forcing ponies to read all the time. But, some ponies have a flawed, distorted image of me in their heads. Some seem me as a perennial book-reader, others see me as a perfect Princess who does no wrong, and there are more others that see me as just a complaining panicker. Not to mention that we fought evil creatures before, so those evil creatures certainly don't have good thoughts about us." A pause as they looked at each other in silence. "I'm not a simple pony. Which sounds weird coming from me." Her ears flayed as she displayed a grin of awkwardness. "But, anyway, none of us ponies are that simple. I guess you knew that, being, uh...you know, infiltrators before?"

Empis groaned. "Are you gonna try to bring up our past?"

"Uh, n-no! I didn't mean to offend nor to insult you, Empis! That's your name, right?"

Empis nodded. Then, he cracked a smile. "I can't believe the Princess of Friendship is acting like such an apologetic pony in front of me!"

"Well, I don't always have to act formal, do I?" Twilight then smirked at the changeling.

"Good...one?"


Cheerilee pored over the book.

She was sitting on the tall wooden stool in front of teacher's desk of the classroom with Empis seated at another tall stool at the other side of the table.

Sounds of ponies playing in the playground—the younger ones. The high-pitched squeals and the lively laughs made the feeling bright.

She looked up, facing the seated changeling, while rapidly flipping through the pages of the large book. Then, she closed the book. "It's interesting to see you get a book like this for yourself. What do you do on a daily basis, Empis?"

"I'm not really certain about that," Empis said. "I do random work around the hive: painting, cleaning, arts and crafting, dancing, acting, being in the Feelings Forum."

"Ah, the Feelings Forum," Cheerilee said, slightly leaning her head in confusion. "This is to make sure that you changelings are open to each other, that all but the most secret of secrets are told to understand one another?"

"Yes," Empis said.

"That's good. It's because I have a history lesson coming up about, well, you!"

Empis pointed a hoof to himself, looking here and there. "Me? But, I didn't do anything heroic? Is the book already old? Do they have ponies in secret places to take pictures of random changelings to see if they do anything cool?"

Cheerile snickered. "No, they're not that invasive. I was referring to you and the rest of the changelings, not just you. Although, isn't the thought of it interesting enough? Just to see your picture there—'A Hero of the Changeling Hive.'" Her eyes went half-open as she made a slow waving motion with a hoof.

Empis blinked. "But, I don't want to be known for fighting."

"I wasn't telling you that you should do that," Cheerilee said. "I was just telling you that it's alright to—"

"Uh, Miss Cheerilee? Is that ar' new visitor?"

Empis and Cheerilee looked at Apple Bloom at the front door.

The filly waved at the changeling, beaming. "Hi, there!"

Empis waved back, though slowly.

"Oh, I'm just having a little chat with Empis here," Cheerilee said, motioning a hoof towards the changeling. Then, her eyes went a little wider open. "And, he's also providing a little help for your next history lesson!"

Empis swiftly turned back to Cheerilee. "But, I didn't ask—"

"You don't have to come to class," Cheerilee said, now talking to the changeling. "You've already said more than enough about your home from personal experience."

"So, I can be a teacher without having to be with the students?"

"Officially, you don't have to be a teacher, but, whether you have the job or not, you can still teach ponies." Cheerilee smiled cheerfully at that.

"Can he come?!" Apple Bloom said, hopping up and down. "Having Gabby come by to teach us 'bout Griffonstone was amazing, even if it's just for twen'y minutes!"

Cheerilee covered her laughter with a hoof. Then, she looked at Empis. "Well, what do you think? Empis, do you have the time to spare for these colts and fillies eager to learn more about your hive?"

Empis looked out the window, not saying a word. Then, he turned back to Cheerilee. "When's the class?"

"When their playtime is over."

Empis pretended to look at his watch.

He had no watch.

He looked at Cheerilee. "Uh, I'll say a 'Yes.' I've lived there my whole life. How hard can it be?"

Apple Bloom then jumped and hopped. "Woo-hoo! Another fun history lesson comin' ar' way!"


"And all of this happened just because I wanted to ask a teacher about what she feels concerning 'Equestrian History.'"

"What did you say?" Cheerilee said.

"Just mumbling some thoughts. I think the chalkboard is lovely!"

Cheerilee smiled.

"We don't have chalkboards in the hive, that's why."

And the class gasped.

The changeling gulped. His teeth were jittery, his body was shivering.

The silence was heavy.

Cheerilee walked in front of the chalkboard, facing the class with her smiling face. "So, for our next history lesson, I've brought in a special guest from the Changeling Hive! It was unexpected—I haven't even met him until today! But, considering that you loved your session with Gabby, I figured that you would love a history lesson about the Changeling Hive taught by none another than a changeling himself. So, please welcome: Empis!"

The class cheered and applauded as Cheerilee stepped back and as Empis stepped foward.

The changeling gulped again.

The cheering and the applauding faded away, leaving everyone in the room with that silence again.

A cool breeze went inside the room. Manes were flying, swaying in the air; a few grabbed hold of their manes. Some open books were already flying through the pages, prompting several ponies to either close their books or to hold on to them to keep them from deviating any further from the lesson's pages. A pony coughed, further breaking the silence.

Cheerilee coughed as well, eyeing the changeling.

"Uh, hi."

"Hi, Empis!" the class yelled in unison.

Empis balked a little. "Uh, I've never done this teaching thing before. But, I'll try my best. I think."

PreviousChapters Next