• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 2,912 Views, 70 Comments

Society as We Know It - Comma Typer



While the Changeling Kingdom is being rebuilt under the rule of King Thorax, many changelings are finding it hard to fit in to their new lives. So, some of them take off to travel Equestria on their free days.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,912

PreviousChapters Next
Pinkie's Welcome Party

The train stopped.

"Come on, everypony and every changeling!" Pinkie yelled while she hopped up and down through the exit doors.

Mr. and Mrs. Cake scowled at the changelings staring at Pinkie Pie's cheer and joy. Then, they smiled a little at them and walked away carrying their now laughing foals.

As the ponies left the train, several of them glared at the changelings.

There was silence in the train with only the four changelings there. Silence had already left seconds ago, carrying a bag of donuts with her. No pony had entered the train yet.

"So, we just wait here and pay the additional fee later on at Dodge City," Neon Guard said.

Blue Alarm looked on through the windows. "Are you sure you want to disappoint that mare? It looks like she really did prepare a welcome party for us."

Neon Guard quickly turned around to see the outside. "Are you sure?!"

The four changelings now looked past the train's windows.

They saw the train depot. It was wooden, small, and hay covered the roof. The building beside it was taller but was also wooden and hay covered its roofs. The two buildings stood alone. The town of Ponyville with its quaint houses was a short walk's distance in the background.

On the wall of the train depot was a poster. On it were words: "Changeling Welcome Party at Ponyville!"

In the distance, balloons were flown, streamers were thrown. Loud electronic music blared out from the town. Laughs were plentiful. The only thing blocking the changelings from the party was the train depot in front of them.

"When is the next scheduled train to Dodge City?" Neon Guard looked at Blue Alarm. "Do you remember?"

"The next one arrives...an hour from now."

Neon Guard sighed. "We can attend the party for an hour."

"Yes!" And Humerus flew off at full speed.

Neon Guard groaned. "Red Noise, go look for him."

"All right, Neon Guard!" And Red Noise flew off at full speed, also.

"Blue Alarm, you're staying with me while I give All Aboard our ticket."

And the two changelings flew out of their carriage car.


Many houses, even the outlying houses, were laden with streamers, confetti, balloons, and other colorful party decorations. Tables with food and drinks were placed here and there throughout Ponyville. Whether near a house or near the river or near the town hall, there were at least a few ponies talking and chattering. Some were dancing to the beat as a white unicorn with messy mane stood behind her turntable and nodded to the beat.

Past the open marketplace of many stalls and produce, there was a building that looked very sweet. It looked like a gingerbread house: The brown roof was laden with white frosting, large candles were on top of the top roof. Pink and purple flowers gathered together beside one of the building's timber-laced walls. The hanging sign had a pink cupcake on it. A pink door was the entrance and the exit.

Past the bright rooms, past the counters of baked goods and confections, past a trap door, past a yellow slide to the basement, there was a small room. With rock walls and ceiling, the room contained many things, if not everything, needed for a great party: Balloons of different shapes and sizes and colors, shiny disco balls, gift boxes and gift wraps of different kinds, colorful party hats, more cakes and other pastries, party plates, streamers, ribbons, among others.

On one side of the room, there were metal drawers that almost matched the color of the rock wall. A few drawers were open. In them there were numerous folders with papers inside. Pinkie Pie grabbed five files from one open drawer.

"I knew they were coming to Ponyville!" She opened up one file. "It only makes sense that they would come here after a while. Who are they are going to meet for the parties they'll get here?"

The file contained a few pictures of changelings. One set contained the changelings before—wearing black chiton, they had blue pupilless eyes and limbs with holes. They bore angry faces, showing their fangs. The other set contained the changelings now—wearing assorted colors, they had pupilless eyes of different colors and their limbs were whole. Their wings now sparkled.

She opened another the other four files. On them were pictures of four changelings. Highlighted were the changelings' names: Blue Alarm, Red Noise, Neon Guard, Humerus. Below the pictures were lists of data and general information about the changelings in question.

"You all used to be part of the same military unit under Queen Chrysalis." Pinkie Pie looked at the papers more closely. "What do you have in common, changelings?"

She looked at Blue Alarm's file. "First, there's you, the first of your unit I've seen in Canterlot, eating at Joe's donut store." She darted to Red Noise's file. "Then, you appeared at the same donut store minutes later." She hopped to Neon Guard's. "You appeared walking on the street in Canterlot. And then, there's Humerus." She bounced to Humerus's file. "All of you, coming to the first ever changeling welcome party in all of Equestria!" She did a little dance on the floor with her eyes closed. "Good thing the files are up-to-date!"


The night before

In the darkness of the wastelands, the Changeling Kingdom glowed yellow and green. The street lights adorned the otherwise dark streets as changelings still walked and chatted and bought things at this late hour, although there weren't that many. If one took a glance at the windows, one might be able to see a changeling appear and disappear for a few seconds.

Inside the tall hive under construction and repair, the stone walls and floors were numerous. Holes opened and closed, changing the layout of the hive every so often. Changelings in green and yellow armor and helmets did not stand in one place too long. They changed positions, they flew, they patrolled all under the green lantern lights.

In one room, there were drawers and drawers standing on the floor. The guards looked here and there, moving here and there in the room, constantly in the search of a criminal. It was dark.

"What do you plan to do tomorrow?" a guard asked.

"I plan to eat breakfast, guard, eat lunch, guard, eat dinner, guard, give the guard duty to Neon Guard when he comes back, then sleep." The other guard sighed.

The sound of buzzing wings went on.

"Do you have anything to talk about?"

The other guard stopped in front of the door. He opened it. He peeked out. He closed it. "Do you have anything to talk about, Record Warden?"

Record Warden did not say anything. He kept patrolling.

A hoofstep.

The guards scrambled around the room.

Record Warden flew to the drawers. A few drawers were opened.

"Our files have been breached!" he whispered to his fellow guards.

"What?!" all the other guards shouted.

"Go look for the thief!"

Then, a few guards went out of the door. The rest flew through the room, eyeing the walls, the floors, the ceiling, the drawers, even each other. Record Warden looked at the drawers. There were missing folders. In place of those folders was a pink card. He hastily opened it.

"'Surprise! From, Pinkie Pie,'" he read aloud. "'P.S. I asked your king for permission to use these files for my upcoming changeling welcome party at Ponyville. You can come here if you want! I don't mind getting the files from here—I know that the original folders are somewhere else. Getting the copies is much easier and safer if you ask me!'"

A groan went out from Record Warden. He flew straight to another guard. "You, go ask King Thorax if this is true." He gave the card to the guard.

"All right, Record Warden!" The guard flew out the door.

Past the commotion and the other guards, he flew through various hallways and areas and rooms in the hive. The guard showed his quick reflexes as he looked left and he went left, he looked right and he went right—was there a guard incoming? He quickly strafed to the side. He flew higher and higher, passing by some of the construction changelings working on the hive. At this height, the view of the night sky brought a sense of being alone. In the middle of the wastelands, there was a shining city of light and thriving civilization. Although the city would rest soon, light and activity would still shine for a few more hours.

Finally, near the top of the hive, he charged into the highest room through an open window.

The room commanded a grand view of the Changeling Kingdom and its arid surroundings under the night sky. On the polished stone floor, a blue carpet had been laid. It led to a humble throne—it was made out of stone. The throne was decorated with a few diamonds and gems, however. On it King Thorax did not sit. He was approaching the stone stairs to the lower floor.

The guard flew to King Thorax and bowed down.

Thorax turned to him. "Quick Escort?"

"Hail, King Thorax!" Then, he stood up.

"What is it now?" Thorax asked in an irritated tone. "I'm about to sleep." He rubbed his eyes as if to show that he really was about to sleep.

Quick Escort gave him the card. "Read this, King Thorax, and see if the contents are true."

He opened the card. "You could've just said 'Hey, Thorax, is this card lying?'"

Quick Escort bowed down again. "My apologies, King Thorax."

Thorax sighed as his eyes scanned the letter.

He closed the card.

"So, is it true?"

Thorax yawned. He covered his mouth with his hoof.

Quick Escort looked around. There was no one but him and Thorax there in the throne room. The lanterns hanging from the ceiling were already off, not giving out any light.

"Yup. Pinkie Pie told me about it at around early tonight."

Quick Escort nodded slowly. He showed a nervous smile. "That's good to know, King Thorax. So, we should resume our duties as normal?"

Thorax nodded. "Now, go out and guard. I need to sleep now."

Quick Escort flew out of the room.

Thorax yawned again. As he headed downstairs, he said, "All this royal work is making me tired."

Then, the throne room was empty. Some holes closed, some holes opened. The cityscape below still shone light and the noise of changelings chattering and talking and flying still blared throughout the dark and moonlit wastelands.


Back to today

Humerus looked and beheld all that went around him as he flew past them while electronic music blared through the speakers here and there. There were ponies socializing, talking, eating—it all seemed normal. However, it was more lively. There were more ponies, more activity, more energetic dancing, more eating. Party decorations decorated all the houses and the stores and the ground below. It was indeed a colorful and loud party.

"Come back, Humerus!"

And then, there was a growl.

Humerus looked behind him.

Red Noise was chasing him furiously. He was catching up to the happy changeling.

They turned left, narrowly avoiding two ponies talking to each other. They almost spilled a cup. They were close to bumping into a filly riding a scooter. Good thing she had her helmet on. Then, Humerus crashed into a pink door.

He tumbled on to the floor.

Pain throbbed through his body. It was only a door, but the damage had been done. His head was banging with pain. Humerus rubbed his head with his hoof and a moan.

He sniffed. He stood up. In front of him were rows of various pastries—there were donuts, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, among other sweets. There was also a glass bowl filled with jawbreakers, gum, and lollipop.

Behind the counter was a smiling pink mare. She threw confetti up in the air. Streamers were blown with a great sound. Balloons floated from the floor. "Surprise!" she shouted. "So, how did you like the surprise? Was it really good?" She jumped over the counter and leaned towards the recovering changeling.

Humerus grinned. "I can't believe I'm meeting Pinkie Pie again!" he whispered through his teeth.

Red Noise tugged him. "I also cannot believe that you haven't noticed me this whole time, Humerus." He turned to Pinkie. "It's nice to meet you again, Pinkie, but we have to get on moving because—" He walked back away, holding Humerus with his hoof "—we have to report to King Thorax. He sent us a letter to get back to the Changeling Kingdom really soon." He wore a smile.

He turned around with Humerus in hoof. "Come on, Humerus. What were you thinking?"

Red Noise bumped into Pinkie Pie who was standing in front of the door. "Aw, you can't leave so soon! The party's just started!" She held a balloon with her hoof. "You want a balloon?"

"How did you get here without walking?" the red changeling asked with a flabbergastered face.

"Teleportation, duh!" She laughed, letting go of the balloon.

Red Noise tried to laugh, looking anxiously at the counter and back at where Pinkie stood. Humerus was actually laughing.

Pinkie grabbed the two changelings with one hoof. "Let's go, guys!" She turned back to the bakery. "Don't do anything bad, Gummy!"

The baby alligator, standing on the floor, blinked with a blank face.

"That's a good Gummy!" Then, she hopped out of the bakery, two changelings in tow.


The houses, framed with timber and laden with hay on the roofs, were abundant in Ponyville. The gray-green ground looked better with the many streamers and balloons around. Everywhere, ponies were walking, dancing, talking, eating, smiling, having a good time. There were earth ponies, pegasi, unicorns—young and old. In the distance, one could see a castle on top of a crystal tree. On its trunk was a golden door.

"So, how do you like Ponyville so far, Humerus?" Pinkie asked, trotting her merry way through the bridge over the river.

Humerus laughed. "She knows my name!" he screamed. "She knows my name! The Element of Laughter knows my name!"

Red Noise placed a hoof on Humerus's mouth. "Keep quiet. You don't want to look weird in front of the other ponies."

"You're changelings in a town called 'Ponyville!' Everypony here looks at you weird!" Pinkie held out another balloon. "You want a balloon?"

"I don't think so, Pinkie," Red Noise said.

"Give me the balloon!" Humerus shouted. He held out his hooves.

Pinkie stopped right in front of the loud and blaring speakers. She gave the balloon to Humerus. The changeling held the balloon with his hooves and grinned.

"It's my pleasure to make you smile!" She grinned. "Both you and Red Noise!"

"You know my name, too?" Red Noise looked on at the smiling Pinkie. "How do you know our name?"

"What is it?" She placed a hoof to her ear. "I can't hear you with this noise!" she shouted. She pointed a hoof to the speakers right in front of them. Vinyl Scratch nodded her head to the beat. She waved at Pinkie. Pinkie waved back.

"But, you just heard me perfectly—"

"What?!"


"You told me this place was one of the best places to party at."

"Yes, I did!"

"Then, why are we at a shop that sells quills and sofas?"

In front of them was a shop that looked a lot like the houses of Ponyville—framed with timber. The hanging sign showed an image of a quill and an image of a sofa. The shop was not forgotten in the party—it also had balloons and streamers all over the building. The music from a nearby speaker blared more electronic music.

The door opened. A light brown stallion appeared, wearing a casual suit. "What can I do for yaAW?! What are changelings doing here?"

"Aw, Davenport!" She placed a hoof on one of his shoulders. "They're good now, remember?" She grinned.

Humerus grinned.

Red Noise groaned.

"No, Pinkie! Stay away from them!" He pushed Pinkie away and slammed the door.

The changelings looked at Pinkie. Pinkie looked at Red Noise. "He also sells beds!"


In front of Vinyl Scratch's turntable were ponies dancing to the beat of house and electronic music. A pink hoof tapped her shoulder. Vinyl Scratch turned back.

Pinkie and the two changelings were there. She looked at the changelings. "So, here's my DJ friend, Vinyl Scratch!"

She placed a hoof to her chin. Without saying anything, she waved a hoof at the changelings and hurriedly turned back to her turntable.

"She doesn't speak a lot," she said, grabbing the two changelings and running off to somewhere else.


On the green hills surrounding Ponyville, there was a tower. On it was a big clock. Above the clock, there was a large yellow bell.

Pinkie rubbed her chin with her hoof. "Hmm..."

"Are you sure you know how to throw a party?" Red Noise asked.

She turned to him, wearing a glare. "Yes, Red Noise, I know how to throw a party!"

He stayed silent. "OK, I trust you."

Humerus slapped him. "You're going to ask that to the greatest party pony in all of Equestria?"

"Maybe, Humerus. Maybe."

"Nah," she blurted out. "I don't think we should place party decorations on such an important landmark. Let's go another place, guys!"


The house in front of Pinkie and the changelings was a wooden house with leaves covering much of the roof. Besides the windows, birdhouses adorned the house. Tall grass, colorful flowers, and green bushes surrounded the path. A small bridge went over a small river with lily pads. The trees were tall and green. On the trees, many birds sang their songs and tweeted. On the ground, bunnies and rabbits and a jackalope hopped about. The house itself stood on a green hill, looking as if it was floating off the ground. Around the house, there was only the path—other than the path, there was only air. Below the cliff, the ground was a little far away. However, the danger of living in such a house was alright for a pegasus.

"So, is this where much of the party would take place, Pinkie?" Humerus asked. "We're going to Fluttershy's house! The Element of Kindness lives here!"

"You don't have to recite every piece of personal information these ponies have," Red Noise said. He placed a hoof on the smiling Humerus. He looked at Pinkie. "Are you sure you want to crash Fluttershy's house? We know she's a shy pony."

"She's not shy enough to like parties!" She pulled a cannon from her mane.

Red Noise looked at the cannon. It was aimed at Fluttershy's door. "I don't have a good feeling about this welcome party."

PreviousChapters Next