• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 2,915 Views, 70 Comments

Society as We Know It - Comma Typer



While the Changeling Kingdom is being rebuilt under the rule of King Thorax, many changelings are finding it hard to fit in to their new lives. So, some of them take off to travel Equestria on their free days.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,915

PreviousChapters Next
Friendship Attempts

The train station was magnificent with its purple, slanted roofs, its wide and numerous glass windows, its style that matched the rest of Canterlot's buildings: regal, royal, refined.

The train arrived, slowing down to a halt. The doors opened and multiple ponies went out and multiple ponies went in, several of them carrying and pulling their bags and their baggages.

Among the ponies that exited the train was an Earth pony mare with brazen fashion and an Earth pony stallion with an adventurer's outfit. The stallion looked irritated.

"Can you tell me again why I have to be with you, Plaid Stripes?" the stallion asked, tired in his tone as the train steamed off and moved away.

The two ponies walked on the platform, moving closer towards the exit. "Because my dad wants me to have more friends and you happened to be walking by." She smiled at him. "I'm wearing glow-in-the-dark teeth!"

"It's not even sunset!"

"Quibble Pants, it's alright!" she replied.

Quibble groaned. "I can understand having to spend time with you to be friends. What I don't understand is having to get out of Manehattan and all the way to Canterlot just to be friends!"

"Friendship problem?" an enthusiastic voice asked.

Plaid Stripes and Quibble Pants turned around.

Two shiny changelings waved their hooves at them. One was yellow and green, the other was green and red. Their wings glimmered under the sunlight.

"We can help!" one of the changelings yelled. "My name's Upbeat!"

"And, I'm Novate Spruce!" the other changeling yelled.

"OK, what kind of names is that?" Quibble asked.

Plaid Stripes nudged him. "They're just trying to be nice, Quibble!" she whispered adamantly. She faced the changelings. "Hi! Yes, changelings, we'd like your help!"

Quibble was now looking surprised. "What?! Help in what? Changelings who are in dire need of a naming committee?"

"So, what's your name?" Upbeat asked.

Plaid Stripes pointed to herself. "I'm Plaid Stripes." She pointed to Quibble. "He's Quibble Pants."

"Quibble Pants?!" the two changelings yelled in unison.

Quibble groaned again. "We're surrounded by high-brow society ponies! I don't want to be embarassed within the first few minutes of getting here!"

"But, you must be related to Fancy Pants!" Novate Spruce shouted.

Plaid Stripes now looked surprised, looking at her friend who sported an annoyed expression. "I didn't know you were related to Fancy Pants!"

"I'm not!" Quibble said through gritted teeth.

"We must take you to Fancy Pants, now!" Upbeat declared as he pulled one of Quibble's hooves. "He can be the answer to your friendship problem!"

"Take me back!" Quibble yelled out as he struggled. He turned towards Plaid Stripes. "Plaid! Please explain to the changelings that I'm not in the right mood for this!"


The street in Canterlot was bordered with many elegant and exquisite buildings that emitted a sense of affluence as ponies, mostly unicorns, walked and trotted the clean sidewalks, some of them wearing fancy clothes. One of them was wearing a black sweater and repaired glasses.

Standing in front of a table drinking tea was a stately white unicorn wearing a fancy suit and a monocle. Beside him was a graceful white unicorn with pink mane and tail. She was also drinking tea.

Approaching the two was an Earth pony pulled by two flying changelings while another Earth pony was catching up to them. All while they shouted at each other, Quibble Pants shouting for help, the two changelings shouting that they are the help, and Plaid Stripes shouting that she's catching up.

Then, the two changelings dropped Quibble.

He stumbled, tumbled, and finally stopped right in front of the table.

Fancy Pants adjusted his monocle and approached Quibble. He offered a hoof. "Are you alright? You seem to have taken an injury or two."

"I'm quite alright, thanks to these changelings."

Fancy Pants looked up.

Two changelings landed on the ground and waved at him. Plaid Stripes looked at the two nervously, then imitated them by waving at him.

"His name's Quibble Pants!" Upbeat yelled. "I think we found a relative of yours!"

"Cousins are good at friendship problems, right?" Novate Srpuce said confidently.

"Uh, I have an extensive family tree and Quibble Pants isn't in it," Fancy Pants said, wearing a stern look on his face. "You must have been mistaken."

"But, you have 'Pants' in your names!" Plaid Stripes added, walking towards Quibble.

Quibble stood up. "Just because we have a word that's the same in our names, it doesn't mean that we're related!"

"Maybe we should consult the libraries," Novate Spruce suggested. "They probably have better family trees."

Fancy Pants laughed.

The rest looked on as he laughed.

"The family trees of the libraries? There's a reason they're called family trees!" He turned towards the changelings. "Again, I assure you that Quibble Pants is not my relative. He can be my friend, though."

And the changelings and Plaid Stripes smiled wide.

"However, is that the entire reason for visiting me?"

"It doesn't seem very valuable for your time and effort," the other unicorn said from her spot. "My name's Fleur Dis Lee."

The two changelings and Plaid Stripes nodded. Quibble didn't nod. He also didn't smile.

Quibble looked at Fancy Pants. "Look, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, Fancy Pants, but those changelings are causing trouble! I'm not here to find out if you're related to me or anything! I was just dragged into this!"

"That's fine, and apologies accepted." Fancy Pants smiled. "So, again, may I ask if you all want to talk about it over cups of tea?" He gestured towards the table that was fitted with a bright and colorful umbrella. "I and Fleur Dis Lee would like company outside of Canterlot."

Quibble made an angry look towards the changelings.

The two changelings nodded. So did Plaid Stripes.

"I can't believe I'm going to be spending time with high-class ponies!" Plaid shouted.

Fancy Pants and Fleur Dis Lee smiled.

Quibble groaned. "At least there are ponies other than Plaid Stripes to be with now."


Fancy ponies walked on the sidewalk, some of them displaying and using a fancy walk, formal in its way, its style, its grace. Some of them looked up with haughty, snooty looks.

Carriages passed by, carrying in them fancy passengers. The carriages were pulled by the bulkier stallions who weren't as fancy as the ponies they serviced even just by looking at the clothes they were wearing.

The ponies did fit with the style of Canterlot's buildings—they were fancy, showing off a sense of ornate quality that could only be obtained by climbing the social ladder of Equestria until one could reach one of the highest rungs.

So, those ponies broke off their fancy and proud looks, even for just a moment, when they caught a glimpse of Fancy Pants and Fleur Dis Lee hanging out with two Earth ponies unknown and two changelings.

The aroma of tea wafted through the air, out of the shop, out of the cups, establishing a flavored hint in the air. Meanwhile, from inside the shop also went out sounds of refined discussions in posh voices by ponies in posh clothes as the ponies serving the tea also wore posh uniforms, levitating the posh cups of tea with their magic.

Back to Fancy Pants, Quibble Pants, and the rest of the ponies and the changelings around the table with an umbrella.

"So, what brings you here to our fair city of Canterlot?" Fancy Pants asked Quibble, gesturing with a hoof. "It certainly is a long way from Manehattan."

Quibble took a glance at his cup of tea. He looked at Fancy Pants. "I didn't come here willingly. Plaid Stripes's dad wants me to be her friend on a trip to Canterlot. Except we could've had bonding times right back in Manehattan and not waste precious time and money on a trip to Canterlot!"

Fancy Pants recoiled. He glanced at the changelings and at Plaid Stripes who looked worried and frowned. "Of course, I do not easily accept accounts from only one side, though I wish you could enjoy being in Canterlot—it's not everyday a pony gets to spend a day or two here." He smiled. Then, he turned towards Plaid Stripes. "So, how did it go for you?"

"At least I can make a friend in Canterlot!" She hugged Quibble. "Although, I do agree that we're probably spending a little too much on bits."

"Yeah, right, a little!" Quibble yelled. "Like that isn't something to worry about! You know I had a full day planned out for myself! I didn't expect to suddenly be pulled into a forced friendship day or whatever this is supposed to be!"

And Upbeat hopped right in between the two ponies. "OK, let's stop this arguing!" He looked at Quibble. "Now, let's remember...uh, a lesson...about...friendship."

Silence passed by. Also, Silence the mimepony passed by on the sidewalk.

"Hey!" Upbeat whispered. "What's the friendship lesson we're supposed to be teaching?"

"You mean the one about understanding each other's situations?" Novate Spruce asked in whisper.

"I can hear you," Quibble said.

The two changelings looked around.

All the ponies around the table were looking at them.

"We endeavor to not meddle in ponies' affairs!" Upbeat proudly shouted.

"You've already meddled enough by literally dragging me all the way from the train station to this tea shop!"

And several onlookers were making themselves obvious by stopping on the sidewalk.

Novate Spruce took a sip of his cup of tea. "What about you drink some tea, Quibble Pants? I'm sure that...will do something."

"I don't think tea is the ingredient that will help this friendship problem," Quibble replied in a gruff tone of voice, "if that's what you're calling it."

"Wait, the changeling said something about understanding each other's situation!" Plaid Stripes yelled.

"OK!" Quibble yelled in response. "If it's going to keep you changelings happy and if it's going to make this trip more tolerable." He looked at Plaid Stripes. "So, what's your situation?"

"I'm having so much fun with all of you!" Plaid Stripes yelled before hugging Quibble again. She looked at Fancy Pants and Fleur Dis Lee looking at her in surprise. "It's such an honor to be part of your company!"

The two unicorns smiled. "And, I think it's an honor to be meeting two very unique ponies. And, also, two unique changelings." He faced the changelings who were smiling at him. "Now, who wants a second cup of tea? After this, we can go to the museum to check the artifacts."

"With these bumbling changelings?" Quibble hastily added, still looking stern at the changelings.

The changelings continued to smile.

Upbeat turned towards Plaid Stripes. "Now, what about you understand his situation?"

Quibble groaned.

Plaid looked at him. Then, she looked at the sidewalks.

More ponies were standing and watching the scene.

She gulped.

She looked back at Quibble.

Quibble looked back at her with a face of irritation.

"What's your situation, Quibble Pants?" Plaid asked.

"I guess I've already said enough."

Plaid slowly turned her head towards Fancy Pants. He wasn't looking that happy. "So, does that mean the friendship problem is solved?"

"I think that means you've already heard of his situation and how he's feeling." Fancy Pants looked at the changelings. "Are you sure this is the best way to handle a problem like this?"

"We're just applying the lessons we've learned, Fancy Pants!" Novate Spruce replied joyously, smiling.

Fancy Pants sighed.


As the two ponies and the two changelings walked by, Quibble occasionally groaned. While Plaid Stripes and the other changelings were smiling and were chatting amiably, Quibble just looked and observed the various buildings, ponies, and other items that slowly passed by as they walked.

Several ponies that passed by them made a gasp or a look of astonishing disgust or both as they witnesses the plaid shirt, the purple scarf, and the green ponytail Plaid Stripes wore. Whispers were exchanged, looks of refined terror were aimed at the pony. However, she moved on, still talking with the changelings.

"Why are you changelings here, anyway?" Plaid asked happily. "Is your king here or something?"

"Yes!" Upbeat answered. "How did you know that?"

"I was just guessing." Plaid smiled. "Why is your king here?"

"In talks with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!" Novate Spruce replied enthusiastically. "I bet they're very important!"

"They must be," Plaid said. She smiled. "Hey! Would you like to eat at this donut place I heard about?"

"Donuts?!" the changelings asked together.

"My dad went there one time and he loved the donuts!"

Quibble sighed, exasparated and tired, looking at the pony and the changelings there. "OK, how far is this donut place you're talking about?"

"I don't know where it is." Plaid smiled.

Quibble stood on the sidewalk, stopping his walk. "Let me guess." He faced the changelings who were also smiling at him. "You also don't know where the donut shop is."

The changelings nodded, keeping their smiles.

Quibble looked around.

Beside them was a green, quiet park decorated with trees of various sorts and kinds and filled with ponies having various activities such as eating on the marble tables, taking pictures of the place with their cameras, and just watching the environment around them. Across the street, there was a row of buildings that looked different yet contained the same elegant style as the rest of the Canterlot buildings. There was an eatery, although the waiters in their fancy uniforms were serving fancy meals. At another part of the street, there was a shop that boasted of its unique spoon and fork collection and several ponies walked in and out of that shop. At the other side of the street, there was another restaurant yet the food being served there was also fancy. And, the smell of the air was the fragrant, natural smell of grass from the park.

"Let's go ask somepony for a map or directions!" Plaid Stripes said. Her eyes darted around as her head moved along. "First, we find somepony with a map!"

The two changelings nodded. "That's great!" Novate Spruce said, smiling as he also looked around. "Leave the flying to us!"

And then the two changelings took off to the air.

Quibble sighed again. He looked at Plaid Stripes who was looking on at the changelings flying, scouting out the area, observing and watching certain ponies here and there as they flew at high speed. "We could've just asked for directions."

"But, a map is more visual and would give us the location of the donut place in no time!" Plaid Stripes answered assuredly.

Quibble stared at her with an agitated stare. "Nopony carries around a map except tourists."

"Then, the changelings need to find a tourist!"

"How would we know if the pony is a tourist if we don't ask him?"

"Then, we ask him!"

"Are you telling me that it's OK to ask everypony you see if they're a tourist?"

"Not really, but it's the donut place is a good place to relax and to eat...donuts." She made an awkward smile.

"I don't care if we can relax there at all. I'm certainly not getting relaxed by all this waiting! You're just making it worse!" He pointed a hoof at her.

"But...what about the friendship? Our friendship?"

"We've been together for—what? Less than a day?"

"Found it!"

Quibble Pants and Plaid Stripes looked up.

Two changelings landed on the sidewalk, Novate Spruce holding a map with his mouth.

"Now, we can look for the donut place!" Upbeat declared. He grabbed the map and opened it.

"Hey! That's my map!"

The two ponies and the two changelings looked.

A brown stallion was galloping, an angry look on his face. He adjusted his visor, still keeping his face of extreme irritation. "That's my map! You better give it back to me or else!"

Quibble glared at the changelings. "You didn't even ask for permission?!"

"I was told to find somepony with a map!" Novate Spruce replied anxiously.

"Should we run?!" Upbeat yelled, glancing at the raging stallion.

And many of the ponies were now looking on, beholding the run and the pace of the displeased pony and seeing the slight predicament of the ponies and the changelings looking at him with fearful eyes.

"I said, 'Should we run?!'" Upbeat repeated.


Out of the donut shop were two changelings and one pony satisfied with their paper bags of donuts. Also out of the donut shop was Quibble Pants who was holding no paper bags of donuts at all.

Upbeat smelled loudly. "There's that donut aroma!" He held the paper bag close to his face. "I'm prepared to taste these donuts first-hoof! My friends said that it's delicious!"

"I'm excited for it, too!" Plaid Stripes said excitedly, already opening her bag of donuts as they continued walking on the sidewalk. "I'm going to tell my daddy all about this trip!" She looked at Quibble. Her smile went away. "Why are you sad?"

"Like you're actually going to listen to me at this point."

"At least we got out of that mess with the pony and his map," she said. "It's nice that he still gave us directions to the donut place even though we stole the map in the first place." She frowned. "I admit...it wasn't really the best idea."

"Finally, some realization."

And the smell of sweet donuts went to him.

A donut was in front of him.

"Wanna donut?" Plaid asked, smiling.

"Alright!"

And Quibble took the donut and took a bite.

He looked at his regal surroundings as they walked. The ponies were still uptight, still fancy. Even on the sidewalks, how they talked had a fancy tone to it. Even their laughs were restrained, restricted to a quiet yet royal-sounding laugh. Fragrant smells from the colognes and the perfumes of the ponies passing by sometimes mixed together in the air, forming a new, exotic aroma before it vanished. The taste of the donut was a toasting combo of the slightly sweet dough and of the sugary sweet frosting that had a chocolate flavor that was just succulent. He smiled a little. He chewed.

The two changelings, meanwhile, were not just smiling. They were shouting and screaming, affirming and reaffirming to all the ponies that could hear them of their love for donuts.

And Quibble covered his ears. "When will you guys stop?!"


"Anything else on the list?" Novate Spruce asked.

"What list?" Upbeat replied as they stood on the train station's platform.

"We're going to be seeing the ponies off!"

"We can still hear you," Quibble said right beside them. "And, Plaid insisted that we're not leaving Canterlot until after sunset. As much as I want to leave right now, I might as well not upset her and her dad."

"Yes!" Plaid Stripes hugged him.

"Stop with the hugging, alright?"

Plaid Stripes removed her grip on him.

Novate Spruce looked at the small crowd of ponies gathered on the other side of the platform. "Then, why are we at the train station in the first place?"

"I just like looking at the passengers entering and exiting the train!" Upbeat replied.

Quibble groaned again. "Really?! For how long are we going to be staying here watching passengers go?!"

"About a minute," Upbeat said. He smiled at him.

"We went through how many streets to get here? And only for one minute?!"

Plaid nudged him. "What about we try watching the passengers? Maybe it's fun after all!"

"What could be fun in watching passengers entering and exiting trains? I'd rather get myself in a marathon of reading Daring Do books."

"I don't think that's fun," Plaid said.

"What about we read Daring Do books while watching passengers?!" Novate Spruce yelled. "It's going to be more fun than the two of them on their own!" He pulled out a Daring Do book from his bag. "I even brought one of the books!"

Quibble opend his eyes wide, looking at the book. "Are you a fan of the Daring Do books?!"

"I bought the whole collection!"

Quibble stood there, eyes wide open and his mouth wide open. He blinked.

"You must be really surprised."

"Surprised?" Quibble repeated. "I'm not just surprised! Well, maybe I shouldn't be that surprised since I've already met a changeling who was interested in the books—however, I am surprised that you have the whole and entire collection of the Daring Do books!"

"I hope that this doesn't fall into one of those fan coversations where I don't understand a single thing," Plaid commented, moving a step away from the pony and the changeling.

"It's not possible that you have the entire collection in your bags, right?" Quibble said, his excitement and his enthusiasm growing as evidenced by the tone of his voice.

"Of course, not!" Novate Spruce said. "That's why I try to fit more of the books in Upbeat's bags!"

Upbeat waved a hoof.

"This is amazing!" Quibble said, a wide and optimstic smile on his face. "We can stay on this train platform all day long talking about Daring Do!" He looked at Plaid and walked up to her. "Plaid Stripes, I didn't expect you to bring me into this! Those changelings are still annoying, but...I think I can tolerate that."

"Uh...thanks?" Plaid Stripes looked to her left and to her right and then back at Quibble, a bit anxious and worried. She smiled. "It warms my heart that you're happy because of me. It's something to tell my daddy about."

She hugged him.

"We're still not hugging each other that often," Quibble said. Then, he walked towards the changelings. "So, what are we going to be talking about?" He laughed a laugh of joy. "Let's start with the obvious questions: What's your favorite Daring Do book? I mean, your favorite Daring Do book from the original trilogy?"


Upbeat and Novate Spruce hovered around the elegant shelves. Arrays of arranged spoons shone under the bright light. The spoons were of different varieties: Some were simple, others were ornate to the point of extreme, intricate complexity. Some were the simple silver color, others were of bronze or of gold. The numerous designs of spoons were unique, differing from each other in their own ways. Price tags were set in front of each individual spoon, ranging from the simple spoon that costed one bit to the epitome of quality, exuding brilliance and artistic achievement that could only be the work of the finest ponies involved and dedicated in the field, in the art of spoon-making—the spoon that was the pinnacle of dining, the spoon that was the idealization of all that embodied the function and the appeal of a spoon, garnished not too much but with the right and correct and precise amount to the point that it was truly a spoon that would amaze, a spoon that would never disappoint, a spoon that was not luxurious, that was not just a luxury—it was, indeed, the realization, the accomplishment of what a spoon should be if a pony were to have the resources and the time. And the spoon costed a thousand bits.

And Plaid Stripes beheld it, looking at it. She gasped.

"Maybe I should've known," Upbeat said. "Her earrings are spoons." He smiled. "It would be a nice gift to her!"

PreviousChapters Next