• Published 3rd Dec 2016
  • 515 Views, 0 Comments

Extinguished - Freethinker037



Fate can be a cruel mistress

  • ...
 0
 515

Shattered

Legs pumping.
Lungs burning.
Brain overloading.
Emotions raging.

Heart….shattered.

Deep within the darkened lands of Equestria, the peaceful night air was disturbed as a blazing fireball raced through the grassy Knolls and wide open fields at tremendous speeds that pegasi can only dream of, covering dozens of miles a minute. The flames raged brilliantly. A stark contrast of bright oranges and reds against the dark greens and blues of the sleeping land. The light it emits are nearly blinding, easily conquering the moons light into submission. Many nocturnal animals flee as to avoid being burned alive, if not from fear.

Truly, it proves to be a powerful sight for all who bear witness.

Sadly, as it may have been burning brightly on the outside, the fire within, however, had long been extinguished.

The blaze continued its rampage throughout the night, never slowing down, not even when it went through more wooded areas, only ever following the fastest and least obstructed line as it raged on, leaving nothing behind but hoofprints scorched into the grass.

It seemed like nothing would be able to stop it. Soon, however, the grounded comet inevitably broke through the Equestrian boarders and entered the Badlands.

The Badlands are ‘no pony’s land’. Ponies, Griffons, Dragons…it did not matter. None of them had control here. The earth is its own master here, and the weather is free to act as it sees fit. The Badlands are a force in their own right.

That fact, however, did not phase the fireball as it continued without halt. It remained this way for a minute more before it began to waver. The strength of the flames began to wane and its speed began to drop. It also began to veer one way then the other. Whatever the source of flame was, it began to tire.

It wasn’t long before it all came to a grinding halt as the flaming entity was tripped by a rock. Momentum carried it’s tumble in the dirt until it eventually came to a dead stop, with its flames fully extinguished and the creature revealed.

There laid a Pegasus pony, panting heavily from the exertion as they tried to feed their body the oxygen it craved. The contours of their body as well as their muzzle indicated them to be a male member of the species. His flame red coat glistened in the moon light, unmarred by the inferno that previously encompassed them. His short mane consisted mainly of orange and yellow hues with his tail mimicking his mane in length and color. His wings were what differentiated him from other pegasi. Where other pegasi had wings covered in feathers, the lone stallion had dragon wings, the unusual appendages spread out from the fall.

As he laid there on the ground, his body began to quake and his eyes were held tightly shut. His mind began feeding him images of what happened earlier that evening. Images of the horror unintentionally orchestrated by his own hooves.


SEVERAL HOURS AGO

It was early in the evening when the doors to the emergency ward burst open with a blast of flame.

“HELP!!! SOMEPONY PLEASE HELP HER!!!” A red stallion yelled as he stood inside the main entrance.

Tears flowed freely from his orange eyes as he desperately gained the attention of the night staff, and pointed them at the mare who laid on his back. Second and third degree burns covered her body like twisted decorations of black, charred skin and blood. Her barrel rose and fell in quick shallow breathes; her lungs working to keep her among the living.

Doctors and nurses acted immediately and took hold of the situation, allowing their training to guide them as they laid the endangered mare on a stretcher.

“Get a bubble up and get her to the burn unit! She needs immediate surgery!” The head doctor had shouted as he gave the orders to his staff. A unicorn nurse quickly conjured a medical bubble around the victim. The spell is designed to stabilize wounds and protect them from dust or debris that may make things worse so that the injured can be transported. The staff ran as they carried the dying mare through a set of double doors towards the burn wards.

The red stallion remained standing in the entrance hall, too shocked to move as he stared at the now closed doors they took her through. The last he saw of her before they shut was her Cutie Mark. The rest of her was blocked from view by the staff. The unmistakable image of a golden aura surrounded by her immaculate gold fur. Unfortunately, her Cutie Mark was the only thing that escaped unscathed.

‘This can’t be happening…. This can’t be happening. This can’t be happening. Faust above, this can’t be happening.’ His mind was in turmoil. He never meant to lash out. He never expected his powers to react the way they did. He was never supposed to hurt her! He placed a hoof over his face as his head began to hurt, but pulled it away when he felt a cold stickiness. He stared as his hoof was covered in blood. Her blood. He quickly wiped it off on his fur. His wings shook in anxiety before his senses picked up more of the sticky sensation. He looked over at them, only to see that he was covered in blood as well as tiny bits of charred flesh. He yelped before he vigorously shook out his coat trying to dislodge the horror on his back. He didn’t notice the nurse who had approached him.

“Sir!” She called out. This caught the stallion by surprise as his head shot up to the mare before him. The mare, in turn, winced in sympathy as she looked him over. He was a complete mess; clearly what many doctors would call being F.I.N.E.
-Freaked out
-Insecure
-Neurotic
-Emotional
She put on a warm smile to try and calm the stressed colt.

It did very little.

“Sir, I’m going to need you to provide some information, if you’re able.”

The stallion blinked as it took a moment to process her inquiry before being able to reply.

“Wha?...Oh! right. Yes, o-of course. A-anything you need.”

The nurse’s heart went out to the distressed colt.

“First, I’m going to need the name of the patient.”

“Uh, it’s G-Golden Aura…”

“And what is yours?”

“Huh? My name?”

“Yes.”

“It’s… It’s Phoenix Fire.”

“Hmm. Her injuries were extensive. Can you tell us what race of pony she is?”

“Unicorn… She’s a unicorn.”

“Now what is your relationship with the patient?”

“She’s…she’s my fiancé.”

“Oh. I’m so sorry.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now can you explain what happened?” The nurse asked as she jotted everything down. When she didn’t get a reply, she looked up at Phoenix Fire only to find him breathing hard as the events of the past hour came rushing back.

“Sir?”

“Th-there was an argument… concern…pain……fire….” Phoenix was getting more frantic as he recalled what happened to Golden Aura.

“Sir! Please, you need to calm down!” The nurse was getting worried now.

“This can’t be real. This isn’t happening.” Phoenix Fire kept repeating this over and over again as his world began to spin. He can barely hear the worried nurse.

“Sir, please! I’m sure it wasn’t your fault!”

Wrong choice of words.

“Fault. My fault. It was my fault. It was all my fault.”

“No. Sir it wa…”

At this point, Phoenix Fire had snapped and started shouting.

“IT WAS! IT WAS ALL MY FAULT! I COULDN’T CONTROL IT, AND AURA WAS THE ONE WHO PAID THE PRICE!”

Thankfully, before the nurse could react, the door to surgery were pushed open and the doctor from earlier reappeared before them both. Phoenix Fire was not pleased by the doctor’s absence from the surgery room.

“What in Tarta…DOC! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? WHY’D YOU LEAVE 10 MINUTES IN!?”

The doctor as well as the nurse looked at him with confusion.

“Sir. It’s been over an hour since we went to surgery.” The doctor replied in disbelief. Phoenix’s eyes were as wide as dinner plates at this point.

“……what?”

The nurse replied, her sympathies clear in her tone. “Sir, you’ve practically been catatonic the whole time. The only reason I came to ask you those questions was because I saw you move.”

Phoenix Fire was surprised. To him it felt far less than that.

“Oh. Uh, Ok.” He then looks back to the doctor with hopeful eyes. “So, how is she? She’s gonna be ok, right?”

The doctor avoided his gaze by looking through the gathered information that the nurse wrote down. When he looked back up, Phoenix Fire could clearly see the grim expression on his face and his heart began to plummet.

“Mr. Phoenix Fire? About your fiancé Golden Aura…”

It was falling.

“…she suffered multiple third degree burn trauma across the majority of her body as well as some of her internal organs…”

Gaining speed.

“….We did our absolute best, but there simply is little that can be done to fix this much damage…”

All systems shutting down.

“…Unfortunately, it is with a heavy heart that I inform you that…”

Brace for impact.

“…Your fiancé had succumbed to her grievous wounds. I’m sorry to say, Mr. Phoenix Fire, but Golden Aura died.”

Crash.

Phoenix Fire didn’t move for a few minutes as his mind had to go through a full system restart after being incapable of processing what the doctor had just said. The two ponies with him were starting to worry before he finally spoke.

“…No…” was all he could say as he began to stumble backwards. His breathing was also increasing at an alarming rate.

“Sir…” The nurse tried to say something but it was hopeless as Phoenix Fire was no longer listening. At that point, he was a lost cause.

“No. no no no no no no no.”

He couldn’t take it. He couldn’t breathe. The weight of what he had done began to crush him alive. He needed out. He needed air. He felt like he was getting strangled. He made a break for the door, not caring about the two medical ponies who were with him.

Ponies out in the street screamed and jumped back in terror as a blood covered pony had burst out the doors of the emergency ward and straight into a group of pedestrians, knocking them down. Phoenix Fire could feel the cold night air on his blood-soaked fur. It felt too cold for him. He felt too cold. His heart was beating faster than sound. His blood was completely saturated with adrenaline. He looked around trying to gain his bearings. He completely ignored the crowed of scared ponies as he made a mad dash down the street.

‘Faust above. Please let this be a nightmare. Please, let it all be a lie. Let me wake up! PLEASE, FAUST, DON’T TAKE HER AWAY FROM ME!’

Phoenix ran. He had no idea where he was going or what he was going to do. All he knew is that he needed to get away; to put some distance between him and the now cursed hospital. Phoenix could feel the guilt on his chest. The weight not daring to offer him respite.

‘It’s my fault. It absolutely my fault. I’m a murderer. I…’

Phoenix Fire shook the thought out of his head and ran faster. The emotional twister in his heart carried on mercilessly.

‘Faust, Celestia, mom, dad…anyone. Please get me out of here.’

As if having heard his plea, Phoenix’s body began to react. Flames erupted from beneath his hoofs. His mane and tail have ignited into a brilliant flame. His eyes have ignited, fire spewing from their sockets. Even the flaming X that was his Cutie Mark came to life and began to burn.

With a final burst of power, his coat soon ignited, the intense heat incinerating the blood that stuck to his coat.

Like a comet, Phoenix Fire shot out of town and took off into the night, never to be seen by the town’s people again.


Silence reigned over the badlands. The songs of nocturnal wildlife being the only thing audible. The moon continued to bathe the land in an ethereal glow. The wind would blow a silent melody across the empty fields.

In the middle of one these fields, just outside of Equestria’s boarders, Phoenix Fire was still laying on his side after taking a tumble into the ground and catching his breath after having run as fast as he did for as long as he did.

Soon however he stood up with his head hung low.

His eyes were brimming with tears. It took all his weakened will power to hold them back. His heart still ached from the guilt of what he had done. The weight of it would forever remain on his shoulders.

He took a deep breath and shook his head vigorously to clear his mind. ‘I need to keep it together. I can’t lose it now. It’s like she would always say: A cool head will persevere. Yeah…. she did…. she always said that………Goldie…’ Just when he began to regain control of his emotions, it all spiraled right back out. To make matters worse, he could now hear her voice in his head. It was maddening.

The pressure was building up on the distressed stallion as he did his best to calm down. He took deep breaths. He tried to shut out his runaway thoughts. He beat at the side of his head, opening a small gash in the process. Everything he tried failed miserably. It all soon built up to a crescendo and Phoenix Fire was losing his mind. His legs gave out as he fell onto his haunches. Between the heartache, guilt, memories and rampaging emotions he felt like he was gonna blow.

“Make…”

Something began to stir within him, again.

“…It…”

It fed off the turmoil and began rapidly grow to unbelievable strengths.

“STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!”

And then it exploded.

All the guilt, the pain, the frustration, the emotions… everything came exploding out into a magnificent sight. A giant column of raging flames erupted from where Phoenix Fire stood and reached far up into the sky beyond sight, illuminating the night and the immediate area. In the epicenter of the towering inferno, Phoenix found his outlet. With a roar of animalistic rage, he poured everything into the flaming obelisk, giving himself no quarter as it burned.

After a minute the flames began to die down, slowly weakening until it was finally extinguished. Phoenix found himself standing in a scorched-black crater measuring just over one pony length deep and three pony lengths wide. He felt empty inside; devoid of anything. This is a welcome respite for him as he spread his scaled, leather wings and flew himself out of the giant hole he made.

After touching down, Phoenix Fire just stood still. He did not move a muscle or even blink. The only sign that he was not a statue or that he was alive was the fact he was still breathing. He wasn’t even thinking. His mind was emotionally exhausted and refused to function. The only things he could feel was the cold air and sadness.

After a while, though, his brain began to function again. He lifted his head and began to look around his surroundings. He had known about the badlands for a long time, as he was once one of her majesty’s royal scholars, and this wasn’t the first time he ever entered the forsaken land. He remembers coming to this particular spot three years back and setting up a small forward camp to study the geographical location. Unfortunately, Princess Celestia had called off the whole expedition. When he inquired her about the act, she explained to him why the badlands had been forsaken.

Phoenix Fire turned his head and looked towards an area littered with mountains and cliffs.

Known as the Passages of Perdition, no other area is as forbidden to enter. Officially, it was claimed by her Majesty’s Government that the area is littered with treacherous landscape and dangerous flora as well as fauna, and it was deemed unpassable. Pegasi were not even allowed to fly over it. It was a bold-faced lie, told to keep anypony, anyone or anything as far away as possible. As unethical as it was, the truth behind the banned entrance is far worse. Hidden deep within the valleys and gorges of the Passages of Perdition was an entrance to a dark and sinister realm.

The ancient stone gateway to all that is evil.

Tartarus.

Phoenix Fire started to feel a sudden attraction towards the mountainous region.

Just as he was about to begin his walk towards the damned mountains…

“PHOENIX FIRE!”

Phoenix Fire’s ears homed in on the familiar voice before looking up. He was surprised to see who had called out to him.

“Princess Celestia?”

The princess of the sun flew to him before landing with regal grace. Her face bore a look of utter concern and worry.

“Phoenix Fire, there you are! I’ve been looking all over for you! Are you alright?”

“Princess. Forgive me for not bowing.” He replied in greeting, “No. No, I’m not.” He finished in defeat.

“I figured. I’ve been to the hospital. I saw what happened to….” Celestia grimaced at the memory. “Phoenix, I am so sor…” She was cut off before she finished.

“Save it. I don’t want your apology. I don’t even care anymore.” He said dejectedly.

This caused Celestia to raise a brow at his rudeness. Normally, Phoenix Fire was one of the politest stallions she’s ever had the fortune to meet. He’d always address her accordingly, and with a bow. To hear him be so blunt was unheard of.

“How did you find me anyway?” He asked, annoyance clear in his tone.

“After the incident that changed you, I decided to tag you with an alert spell. It would warn me should something have happened to you. It led me to the hospital, first before it brought me here.” She replied matter-of-factly.

Phoenix groaned at this. He wanted to be alone.

“On the way, I saw you fire column. Phoenix, what happened wasn’t your fault.” Celestia said, trying to reason with him.

“Of course it was my fault!” Phoenix snapped. “It’s completely my fault!”

“I’m sure it wa…”

“YES IT WAS, DAMMIT! I’M THE ONE WHO BURNED HER! I’M THE ONE WHO SNAPPED AT HER! I’M THE ONE WHO LOST CONTROL OF MY POWERS!” He shouted at the celestial princess.

“Don’t you see?” He asked her quietly before shouting again.

“I KILLED HER! I KILLED GOLDEN AURA! I LOST CONTROL AND I BURNED HER TO DEATH!!!” He finished, panting to regain his breath.

At this point, the emotional turmoil from earlier was starting back up as tears threatened to fall again. Celestia, at this point, had no idea what to say to help him. Before she could say anything, Phoenix spoke up again, in a quieter tone this time.

“Damn it. Damn that BUCKING volcano. If it didn’t give me these Faust damned fire abilities, none of this would have happened.”

Celestia blinked before speaking. “If that volcano didn’t give you those powers, you would have burned to death as soon as you fell in.”

“At least it would have been me and not her! She never did anything to deserve death!”

“But you did?” Celestia asked sternly.

“I know I didn’t deserve the volcano’s ‘gift’, That’s for damn sure!”

Silence reigned after. Both ponies staring each other down. The stalemate lasted for a few moments before Celestia took the initiative.

She inhaled deeply before slowly exhaling. This calmed her nerves as she thought out her words.

“Phoenix Fire, Listen. Your abilities are unique. They are beyond anything known to ponykind. They are beyond the realm of magic. Even I don’t know how they work. How were you supposed to know what would happen?”

This gave Phoenix pause.

“You had no control over what happened. You can’t blame yourself.” She continued in a motherly voice.

“…I-I could have done something.” Phoenix began to stutter as his inner turmoil picked up speed, again.

“I doubt there was much you could have done.”

His body began to shake from the pent-up emotions, again. He hung his head and closed his eyes tightly as he fought to control it. He could feel it getting worse. He tried to hold out the best he can. He fought the pain in his chest that threatened to consume him. He had to hold on, though. He had to…..

He suddenly felt soft feathers land against his back, the sensation bringing everything to a grinding halt. His eyes immediately snapped open as they hunted for the source when he looked up. He saw Princess Celestia standing closely beside him, her majestic wing draped across his barrel. Her expression could only be described as caring and motherly.

“Don’t fight it, Phoenix. It will destroy your mind if you do.”

She then smiled lovingly at the suffering colt. “Let it out, my little pony.”

That was all it took for the flood gates to opened.

Phoenix let his head drop as he began to cry. It started quiet at first, but as it finally came out, he was soon on the ground and bawling. Tears flowing down his cheek like rivers.

“GOLDIE-IE-IE-IE!!!! I’M-I’M-I’M SORRY-Y-Y-YYYY!!!!!!” He cried out. He was truly a broken stallion, shattered from everything that had happened as well as his own guilt. He would beg his deceased fiancé for forgiveness, only to be met with silence.

As Phoenix continued his breakdown, Princess Celestia remained by his side, her wing still draped over the melancholic pony, offering what little comfort she could.

They remained that way for the better part of an hour as Phoenix was drained of his emotions. Soon, however, the crying had finally reached a conclusion. Despite this, they remained as they were for several more minutes before they both stood back up.

Still sniffing, Phoenix turned to Celestia before speaking, his voice raspy from his crying.

“Thank you, your highness.” He said as he bowed his head in a show of respect. Celestia nodded and smiled.

“Many years ago, I lost my sister. I know how you feel.”

“You have my sympathies, Princess.”

“As you have mine, Sir Phoenix Fire.”

Phoenix looked down in thought before returning his gaze to his ruler.

“So, what now?” He asked.

Celestia gave his inquiry some thought. She then began to speak.

“If you wish, I can reinstate your previous position as one of my royal scholars. I’ll even throw in a promotion.” She stated hopefully.

Phoenix gave her offer some serious thought before he came to a decision.

“Thank you, Princess, but my previous life had long been lost. I don’t think I could ever go back to how things were. I’m just not the same pony anymore. Also, with Golden Aura’s Passing, I don’t have a home. I don’t even have a purpose in life anymore.”

Celestia was sad to hear that.

“Then what will you do?”

He considered his options before remembering The Passages of Perdition.

“Tartarus.”

“WHAT!?” To say that the princess was shocked was an epic understatement.

“I’m going to face the flames of Tartarus.” He said with determination.

“NO! NO, YOU WILL NOT!!! Phoenix, Tartarus is swarming with evil demons and dangerous creatures, not to mention that it is also the prison that houses the most dangerous individuals to have ever existed!”

“I’m well aware of the dangers, your highness.”

“No, you are not! Otherwise you would not be even considering this plan!”

“Princess Celestia, please. This is my choice.”

“As the Princess of Equestria, I overrule your decision!”

Phoenix was starting to get irritated.

“Only in Equestria. In case you haven’t noticed, we’re in the badlands.”

Celestia place a hoof to her head. ‘He can’t be serious.’

“Why!? Why would you voluntarily walk into the darkest realm to have ever existed!?”

Phoenix sighed as he considered his words carefully.

“Because I no longer belong in Equestria.”

That definitely gave the princess pause.

“…What?” She asked, confused with where he is going with this.

“Your highness, I’m no longer a pony. I am some form of a pony-thestral-dragon hybrid, imbued with the power of fire and molten rock that I cannot even control. Everywhere I go, ponies -even thestrals- look at me with fear. The only reason I had to move on with my life after the Mulina incident was Golden Aura. Now that she’s gone, there is simply nothing in Equestria that’s left for me.”

Celestia was shocked. Her heart went out to Phoenix Fire.

“I’m sorry you feel this way.”

“Thank you.”

“But I can’t just step aside and let you go to Tartarus in good faith.”

“Unfortunately, Princess, it’s simply not your decision to make.”

“But why? What will you do when you get there?”

“I’m going to train. One way or another, I’ll learn to master my abilities. If I survive, then I’ll return to Equestria.”

Celestia was grim. “…And if you don’t?”

“Then I’ll be able to see Golden Aura again.”

‘Faust above!’

“…There’s no convincing you otherwise, is there?” She asked with defeat in her tone.

“I’m afraid not.” He replied sadly. “Care to join in my final hours?” He asked.

Celestia’s ears drooped in sadness but nodded, nonetheless.

Together they began the long walk towards The Passages of Perdition, and ultimately….

Tartarus.


The ancient stone gateway of Tartarus stood tall and proud. The gargantuan blue doors stood as tall as four stories and were at least ten pony lengths wide. Ancient, enchanted runes covered the surface from top to bottom as well as side to side. They were built millenniums ago to keep the bad in and the good out and have been improved by many beings in many different ways during its history.

They were intimidating to say the least.

It was nearly time for the sun to rise when Phoenix Fire and Princess Celestia finally found the extremely well hidden doorway.

“Are you sure about this? Because you know you don’t have to. I’ll make sure no one gives you second looks ever again.”

Phoenix shook his head before he spoke, his voice thick with determination. “I’m sure.”

Celestia took a moment to have a good hard look at Phoenix Fire. He truly was an exceptional pony and should not be forgotten.

“You are remarkable.” She said with a sigh.

“Hm?”

“Here you are, everything you have described yourself earlier to be and more, standing in front of the doorway to Tartarus without a hint of fear, about to go in and conquer it, or die trying.” She finished with a sad smile.

Phoenix chuckled at her comment.

“I don’t think I’d ever be able to do what you are about to do, even though I am an alicorn.”

“Pray you never have to, your majesty. Pray you never have to.” He said with a sigh.

Her smile dropped as sadness shrouded the solar princess. “Indeed. Are you ready?”

“As soon as you raise the sun.”

Indeed it was time for the sun to rise. Wordlessly, the Princess ignited her magic and her horn began to glow intensely. The moon soon lowered out of sight as the giant star that was the sun took its rightful place in the sky above, illuminating the world in its powerful rays.

Phoenix watched the sunrise as a smile crept onto his face. He used to love going for a fly and watch it as he glided through the air. Many times, Golden Aura would join him. She would always ride on to his back and snuggle into his fur whenever they did. She’d always say she’d feel safe flying with him and nopony else.

A final tear drop fell. In the light of the morning sun, the shimmering surface glowed a beautiful golden hue as it fell to the ground and joined the earth.

Celestia stood in wait, as Phoenix Fire took a moment to collect himself. Silently, she prayed. She prayed for his health. She prayed for his future. She prayed he would see the madness of what he was about to do and stop. She prayed for Golden Aura. She prayed for her own sister. She even prayed for Equestria and all her ponies.

Phoenix Fire cleared his mind as best as he could. ‘This is it, then. Time to see if these ‘gifts’ really are gifts or if they’re nothing more than a curse.’

He took the first step to damnation.

Celestia took this as her queue and used her magic to open the giant doors. The runes glowed brightly as the heavy stone creations began to swing open, reacting to her magic.

A thought quickly came to Celestia as she remembered something important.

“Phoenix Fire, wait!”

Phoenix stopped his slow march and looked back to the princess. The doors continued to open.

Celestia knew there was little time, now that the doors were opening. The gate keeper would have surely reacted to this. She dashed quickly to Phoenix Fire’s side.

With a quick flare of her horn, a small amulet appeared in her magical grasp. She placed the small trinket around his neck as she began to quickly explain.

“This amulet is ancient. It is as old as these doors are and made in the same way. I never knew who enchanted it, but it acts as a key to the gates. Should you ever wish to return to the surface, use it to open them.”

Phoenix looked at the small artifact hanging around his neck with intrigue. The Princess wasn’t finished though.

“But heed my warning, Phoenix Fire. Demons may not be able to wield the amulet, but the prisoners within can. Never let it out of your sight, or we may all suffer.” The warning was accentuated with a distant, roaring howl, deep within the darkened path beyond the doors.

“Thank you, your majesty. I’ll protect it with my life.” He replied with a final bow to his Princess, eerily calm and unphased by the noise as he faced the doors to Tartarus once more.

The doors were now wide open. Anything can go in or come out as it pleased.

With a final deep breath, Phoenix Fire began his walk towards his fate.

There came a second roar, far closer than the first. Phoenix flared his wings in defiance as he continued.

Celestia watched helplessly as she waited for her faithful subject to walk past the gaping maws and into the Labyrinth of the Damned so that she may close them. The second he stepped past the doors, she summoned their closure. Once again, the doors reacted to her whims and began to close on the empowered, red stallion.

“Goodbye, Sir Phoenix Fire. Good luck, and Faust speed.” She bid quietly.

The roar came a third time. This one coming from a much closer position than the last.

Phoenix Fire’s mane and tail ignited into flames and his Cutie Mark began to burn once more as he awakened his powers, ready to face what was coming.

Celestia never took her eye’s away from the diminishing gap of the closing doors. Her breath hitched in fear when, further down the dark passageway, the Guardian, Cerberus, appeared.

The three-headed guard dog ran towards the doors. It’s six eyes locked firmly at Phoenix Fire. It’s sharp teeth ready to rip and tear at the trespasser that dared to enter its domain.

Tears began to pour out of Celestia’s eyes as she feared for the lone stallion. Phoenix, however, didn’t hesitate as he continued his march deeper into the dark tunnel.

The doors were nearly closed, now, but the princess couldn’t look away as Cerberus continued his charge. Seeing that his enemy was now close, Phoenix Fire began his own charge at the three-headed hound with his own roar of defiance.

The helpless Princess gasped as the two, powerful beings were about to clash. But before she could bear witness to what would happen, before the two beings finally collided in battle, the doors finally closed and sealed and all that was left was silence.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment