• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 3,605 Views, 112 Comments

A Big Hug - David Silver



Daring Do finds an interesting creature. She isn't going to take care of it, so she brings it to the Royal Sisters to deal with. Surely they can handle it, right?

  • ...
10
 112
 3,605

3 - Exchanging Thoughts

Luna picked through the books before finding the right one. "Mistress Zoika's Guide to Beast Speech." She nodded to herself after saying it out loud. Surely she'd be able to grant the equine tongue to her pet. Considering how intelligent he seemed to be, it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Eagerly, she trotted back towards the garden as the book hovered beside her. She flipped through it as she went.

Warning. All creatures have thoughts, they just tend to not be thoughts that are often relevant to ponies. As fascinating as it may seem to endow a cricket with speech, you aren't likely to get very stimulating conversation out of it, and hearing it say 'grass', 'seed', and 'leaf' ten times a minute forever may grow tiring.

Luna shook her head at the warning. Her pet was more than a cricket, and seemed to be endowed with advanced thought already. If they could exchange words, she was sure there would be some interesting things to say.

She arrived at the actual spell and began reading voraciously. So consumed was she in getting it down that she didn't notice she had arrived until she ran straight into the armored chest of her pet. "Oof!"

Tsuki smiled at her brightly. He wasn't wearing that helmet again. He began to reach for her but stopped, noticing the book. Leaning in, he sniffed at it before sneezing off to the side and wriggling his adorable, if large, nose.

Luna gave a more reserved smile. "This will let you speak to me, Tsuki, and any other pony you would like. Does that sound exciting?"

Tsuki twitched a floppy ear as he sank down to his haunches, looking... pensive.

Luna tilted her head in kind. "I thought you wanted this?"

Tsuki gave a little nod and closed his eyes.

Luna smiled a little more deeply. "It's alright to be nervous. I won't allow harm to befall you, Tsuki. You're my ward, and I will protect you." Assuring words spoken, she brought the book in and quickly reviewed the spell, mouthing parts of it silently. She was sure she was ready.

She spread her wings out wide and her horn glowed brightly as she worked through the internal gestured required along her long horn to make the spell work. Tsuki began to glow with her magic before it focused down into his fuzzy neck, then sank into the flesh.

Tsuki squeaked, but seemed unharmed.

They stared at one another in a moment of quiet. Luna raised a hoof as her wings folded. "Well? Did it work?"

Tsuki's mouth opened and closed several times slowly before he frowned.

Luna scowled. "Did I get it wrong?"

"No." Tsuki had a deep voice, as befitted one so large.

Luna started with surprise. "Tsuki?"

He smiled in his guileless way. "Luna."

Luna's expression warmed to triumph. "It worked! Wait, can you say more than a name?"

Tsuki seemed to consider it. "My name is Tsuki. I... had a name before. It is gone."

Luna blinked with surprise. "Another name?"

Tsuki nodded gently. "When there were more... me." He tilted his head. "Where there were less... you."

Luna cast a glance to the west. "Do you mean where Daring Do found you? The pegasus with the hat?"

Tsuki shook his head. "Tsuki already alone by then. Where Tsuki from... not sure." He leaned in and began sniffing at Luna gently. "Think it very far away. Farther away then sun or moon." Suddenly he hugged Luna tight, getting a squawk from her. "Moon is close now."

Luna gave a wry smirk. "We suppose that's true. The moon is very close." She gently extracted herself from her pet's loving embrace. "But, truly? Farther than the sun? Where are you from?"

Tsuki shrugged, frowned, then clapped his paws together. "Remember."

"Yes?"

"Different..." He patted the ground. "Different. Many many tsukis. Big city for big tsukis." He leaned in and sniffed at Luna gently. "Something happened. Something bad."

Luna frowned as her pet began sniffing at and around her. "The fates would endow me with a pet with a tragic back story," she sighed out.

Tsuki blinked at the words, then sat up. "Tsuki sorry. Hug?" He held out his hands in offering of a big apologetic hug.

Luna sat on her own haunches and shook her head. "We are not displeased with you, Tsuki. Your story raises many more questions than answers, but, perhaps, they are questions that can be left alone. Whatever happened to your home has already occurred. You are here now, with us. Are you happy with that?"

Tsuki raised a paw to scratch at his fluffy head thoughtfully. Luna could see thoughts swirling behind those large eyes. She had stirred something. She had... despoiled the pure innocence she once had. "Tsuki... should help." He reached down and patted the armor that clad him. "Luna help?"

Luna raised a brow at the thought. "Is it not too late?"

Tsuki lifted massive shoulders. "Not know until look. Luna help?"

Luna considered a moment before rising to her hooves. "I think I know how to begin. But first, your armor." She reached out and poked the ill-fitting suit. "Before we go on any adventures, let's get you into the proper suit."

Tsuki grabbed Luna right off the ground into a monstrous hug. "Thank you! Luna is best pony!"

Luna could only smirk as she dangled in her pet's arms.

Author's Note:

Woah woah. I thought this was just sugar. Why are you getting adventure all up in my sugar time?!

Is this a typo?