• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 3,603 Views, 112 Comments

A Big Hug - David Silver



Daring Do finds an interesting creature. She isn't going to take care of it, so she brings it to the Royal Sisters to deal with. Surely they can handle it, right?

  • ...
10
 112
 3,603

7 - Return Home

With a flare of dark magic, Sombra sent Tsuki half-tumbling over to the other rabbit creatures. "You will take him to your den. He is mine, just like the rest of you." They gave timid nods, which was not satisfying. "Go." They fled, grabbing Tsuki off the ground and carrying him away in a sea of fur.

He turned to look down at Luna. "Now then, where were we?"


Tsuki was bounced from back to back a moment before he managed to twist around to the right-side up and get his own springing paws under himself. Bouncing with the others instead of being carried my them, he asked, "Where we going?"

They had no answers, save to march on until they came to a dimly lit and cozy-feeling cavern. There were many holes in the wall, like a hive of bees, but instead of bees, other rabbit creatures were in them, peeking down at those who were returning. The crowd dispersed without warning or even apparent cue, leaving Tsuki standing there before the eyes of all his would-be peers.

The others were curious, afraid, staring from a distance.

Only one approached. One the others backed away from with lowered heads. He looked old. His whiskers and ears had gone grey and he was a bit wrinkly, but he had a power all his own. He had wisdom, and the others seemed to know it.

That elder rabbit walked, his shaking hindlegs perhaps no good for hopping anymore. Tsuki felt like he was watching someone important, really important. Sombra had made important noises, but he was more impressed by the quiet power exuded by the old rabbit.

He fell down, lowering his head low and spreading his ears out.

The elder stopped just before Tsuki and gave a thin little smile. "Lost kin..." So someone besides him could talk? Tsuki looked up sharply at hearing the words.

"Have I surprised you? Just one more thing taken from us by that dark one..." The elder sighed gently. "Can you speak, lost child?"

"Yes!" Tsuki sat up, smiling. "Yes! My name Tsuki."

The elder returned the gesture, his own smile showing many years, but genuine, glowing with many fond memories. "Welcome, my child. My name has not been uttered for many years, but now... I am Setting Snow, last of my generation."

Tsuki didn't understand all that, but he could hear the sorrow in the elder's words. "Tsuki help?"

"I pray that is so..." He rose slowly to his hind legs. "Children, my time fast approaches its end. This child will lead you. He is not... exactly as I would have preferred, but he still... He will try." He nodded at Tsuki. "Are you ready to learn?"

Learn? Tsuki had been doing nothing but learning since he fell into Luna's grasp. "Yes. Tsuki will learn. Don't be sad, Snow. You great grandfather. Look." He waved at all the other rabbits that were coming closer. "They know it."

Setting Snow gazed slowly at the cautiously approaching crowd before his eyes settled back on Tsuki and his smile returned. "You will be good to them. Now listen, we have much to go over before... before he returns."

He turned away from Tsuki and approached a wall with more pictures on it. "Most of our history is lost, like ourselves, but we are... were... a proud people. We could be again. Maybe you'll do it." He gestured broadly at the picture that showed the rabbits fleeing. "This was our last, chased free of our ancient homes by the coming darkness. We weren't fast enough, and it caught us. It didn't kill us, that would have been too kind. It pulled us down, generation by generation."

Tsuki frowned with thought, trying to figure it through. "Why Tsuki not talk good? Why they no talk?"

"Precisely so." Snow stepped along the wall, using it as a support. "The darkness has a ruler. You've met him. I can smell him on you. King Sombra. You have to fight him."

"No."

Snow stopped and turned slowly to gaze at Tsuki. "Whyever not? He has hurt your brothers and sisters, and keeps us here in the dark."

Tsuki frowned a little, but repeated, "no." He crossed his arms. "Tsuki will not be bad. Ponies are friends."

"Even when a pony has done so much evil?"

Tsuki nodded, full of conviction. "Tsuki will help him. Help him, and help everyone." He spread his paws wide. "No more fighting."

Snow was silent a moment. The other rabbits stared, uncertain. The room grew quiet until the smallest laugh escaped the elder. "You may... You may win yet. My age is far past. Take your people, lead them to the light." He smiled gently. "That name, do you know what it means?"

"Tsuki is Tsuki."

"More than that." Snow fell to all fours, letting go of the wall. "We are Tsuki. Rabbits of the moon. Once, we danced beneath its silver rays. We lived, celebrated, loved, and... Please, bring us back to the light."

Author's Note:

Tsuki has his mission set out in crystal clarity.

Can he prevail against the darkness?