• Published 2nd Jul 2016
  • 9,017 Views, 47 Comments

The Dragons in the Mountains - DracoTitan



It's been years since I've arrived in this strange place. Years that tribes have chased us into secrecy. Years since I've seen my sons and daughters. Years since the light shined my hard scale and the winds carried my great wings. Now we are free

  • ...
20
 47
 9,017

Days of Sleeping, Interrupted

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy this chapter as well. I decided to use bold for when dragons like Everblight are speaking with their power. Before I forget, if I bring in other Displace I would ask if they're willing to help me portray there character properly. He still is not ready to be summon though. That being said here you have chapter two and stay awesome.

Everblight yawns widely as he feels a nudge on his psyche, the familiar tug of a dragonspawn in dire need. Stiffly rising, he gaze at Twilight with a smile, "Hello tiny one, what do you need?"

"WE'VE BEEN TRYING TO WAKE YOU UP FOR WEEKS," looking down, he see a group of five ponies with the cerulean pegasus glaring at him.

Shifting through the things that Spike told him, he blinks before smiling at her, "Sorry about that Rainbow Dash, how can I help you girls?"

"How do ya know' her name sugar cube?" the orange earth pony tilting her head up to meet his eyes.

Leaning down with bones crackling causing Twilight and Fluttershy to flinch, he smile gently, "Even in the deepest of slumber, we true dragons aren't truly asleep Applejack. Spike told me much about you." "Speaking of the little one, where is he?" before any of the girls could speak up, a house was thrown into his face. Looking over, he see a tall purple and green wingless dragonspawn with a pale gray unicorn in his coil. "Nevermind, I can tell why you woke me from my nap," ignoring the five jaw dropped faces, he slink behind the young dragonspawn without a noise.

Rarity couldn't believe her little Spikey-Wikey would become such a brute. Tears gather in her eyes as she opens her mouth to talk him down when she hears a deep voice behind the young dragon, "Alright, enough playing around." The pair turn to see that the white and brown dragon awake with a deep frown...and a broken house on his face, "Put the damsel in distress down kid." As Spike roar in the dragon face, the various ponies edge slightly away as the older dragon sighs. Slowly rising on two legs, every eye pinprick as Everblight cover the very town, its outskirts and parts of the Everfree in his shadow.

As Spike takes a step back, the old dragon drew his head down and roar with an open mouth. As everypony cover their ears, Rarity and Spike realize that Everblight could eat the pair alive with how wide his mouth open. As the echoing roar ends, Spike's ear frills droop as he places the fashionista before whimpering. As soon as the young dragonspawn looks up, Everblight's expression shift to a slightly comforting one as he place a huge claw on Spike's shoulder, "First greed growth huh...alright. Return what you stolen so we can talk kid."

Roughly two hours later, a much smaller Spike traced circles into the ground. Feeling the ground shake next to him, he gaze up to the old dragon in sadness, "Sorry about the mess I made."

"Don't worry about it kid, it ain't the first time a building was thrown at me," as the young draconic being smile up at him, Everblight click his foreclaws together as most of the town gather around, "that reminds me." Pressing the tip of his index claw to Spike's muzzle, the last thing Spike see and hear before he drifts to sleep is Everblight smiling down at him, "Happy Hatching Day son."

The Mane Six and the townsfolk gasp as Spike's body ripple like water and his form shifts quickly. Now equaling nine feet in height and twelve feet tall, his body gains thick muscles while his green scales darken and his purple ones pales. Three spikes grow on each of his shoulders, elbows and knees and his tail change from a blunt spade to a sharp stinger. A pair of wings grew out from above his arms and a third pair of limbs grows just below his arms. As the last of his metamorphosis settles, his green scales gain a small glow to them.

Twilight looks up at the dragon before walking over to him with a raise eyebrow, "So...what did you really do?"

"The first thing I did is take away the greed growth," as the dragon lays down, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, "it is more detrimental to his aging than helpful." "The next thing is develop a true fire breathing sack although he can still send messages," seeing them sigh in relief he chuckles. A frown cross his face, making the others back up in worry, "I have begun to help him with his draconic nature...but eventually he will want to meet other dragonspawns."

"So what, you expect us to just forget about him," Rainbow Dash hover in his face as the others shook their head, "cause that ain't happening."

"Good, good," the townsponies sigh in relief as the giant dragon chuckles, "but he must attend his own journey." "I sense a migration due soon," looking to the south, Everblight huffs in annoyance, "he'll accompany them...maybe he'll bring back a fellow student or two." Curling into himself, a small grin cross his face.

Spike wakes and realizes that he's half out of his bed, he clumsily rise taking note of the extra weight on his back. Glancing around, he crawls over to the mirror and see the changes that occur. Meanwhile, the Solar Court is interrupted by a loud roar that causes the nobles to flee over one another much to the satisfaction of Princess Celestia.

While the princess writes up a thank you letter, Twilight walks in to see Spike bouncing around, "I take it you like your last gift."

Giving a big hug that makes the pony squeak, Spike quickly runs out the door only to be grabbed by Everblight, "Calm down Spike, this is your now and forever."

Glancing up to the gigantic dragon, Spike rubs against him, "This is the most awesome day ever!" "So what we gonna do?" the dragonspawn jumps back with tail lashing about, to the amusement of the girls and Everblight, "am I going to learn to fly, oh what about a secret dragon fighting style." "Or, or I could be learning-"

"I'm going to teach you how to breath fire," seeing the slightly disappointed frown, he chuckles before nudging Spike, "and I mean your true flames, not the messenger flames." Rising, he moves forward with Spike and the six girls heading towards the quarry. As soon as the girls are at an acceptable distance, Everblight stomps on the ground and a group of quarry eels bites at Spike. Hearing Everblight inhale deeply, the seven smaller beings gape as he let loose a twister of flames with a diameter of thirty yards across. Seeing him shake his head with a mumble of getting rusty, he looks down at Spike, "Go on, take it slow if you want but I believe in you."

Twilight walks over to the quarry to see Spike trying to combat breath. Seeing Everblight look at her, she walks over as Spike continues to try, "I wonder why he hasn't done it yet."

"Maybe he's too use to a pony's lifestyle," looking up at the ancient with a curious face, she see he's more focus on his own words then her, "if he can't combat breath for himself-"

"I got it!" Everblight turns to see Twilight run a ways away before purposely falling into the quarry. Spike turns towards his friend as a quarry eel twist around her and she shields herself in a raspberry color field, "SPIKE HELP ME, PLEASE!"

Everblight face turn to surprise as Spike jumps down into the quarry. As Spike lands, he immediately bites into the flank of the quarry eel gaining its attention. As the eel snaps at him, he opens his mouth to roar and flickers of fire dance. As Twilight felt her being carried out, Spike loose a pillar of red and green fire. As he let loose another torrent, the giant eel weakly cry out before stilling.

As he fell to sleep, mentally cheering that he combat breath, a large wave of fire force the other eels back in their caves. Everblight scoops up the dragonspawn and dead quarry eel with a smile along with Twilight, "Good job son...you did great."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The whole town watch as Spike flew under the tentative eyes of Everblight and Rainbow Dash. It had been a few months since he breath combat fire and he's been absorbing lessons after lessons to prepare himself. As the dragonspawn and pegasus lands, a great shadow drew the peoples attention as a thunder of dragonspawns flew high above. Turning to Everblight, Spike see a grin as the ancient dragon motion towards the others, "Get going kid...and good luck."

"Thanks...dad," pumping his wings, Spike catch up to the thunder in minutes. As the they flew west, Spike hears the snarls of other dragons. As he pumps his wings, he notice a group of six dragonspawns bullying a green and black dragoness with deer like antlers. Swooping down, he growls at them making them flee. "Stick with me alright," getting a nervous nod, Spike and the smaller female flew closer to the group.

Meanwhile on the ground, Twilight, Rarity and Rainbow Dash watch this happen. "That a boy Spike, swooping in and saving the ladies," Twilight and Rarity giggle as Rainbow Dash shadow box. As the trio watch Spike and the smaller dragonspawn fly off, Rainbow Dash looks over to Twilight with an arch eyebrow, "So, what did Everblight give you?"

As Twilight shift nervously, the awkward feeling increase as Rarity also look over with a pout, "...A sliver of his athanc." Seeing the two crunch their face in remembrance, she sighs before pulling out a blue crystalline sliver, "A small fragment of his heartstone, with emphasis on heart."

"Why under Celestia's sun and Luna's moon would he pull out a part of his heart," Rarity flinch back in horror before a thoughtful look cross her face, "then again, that also sounds wonderfully romantic."

"Don't read to much into it," the three ponies blink as the athanc sliver blinks on and off, "it's just so I can see and hear what you three are doing." "And what part of 'he needs to do this on his own' did you not understand," the three girls shift nervously, with guilty faces on. Before they could apologize, a snort and a slight chuckle told them that he more amuse than anything, "Just to let you know, that my athanc is what prevented you from being spotted and eaten by them." "Until next," as the athanc dims down as the trio walk forward.

"Wait a moment," Rainbow stops the two unicorns by spreading her wings, "doesn't that mean he's seen us naked?!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Spike hovers while the small dragoness lands. As he lands, he realize that she barely reaches up to his elbow, "Hey there." The female looks down nervously as he lays down on the heated rocks. After a few minutes pass, she looks at his extra arms with a questioning gaze, "I went through my metamorphosis a couple of months ago." "I'm Spike," seeing her relax a little, he smile softly and see a small one grow on his face, "and you are?"

As she opens her mouth, an arrogant voice crackle behind him that makes her step back, "Oh would you look, the runt found a friend." As Spike turns, a group of male dragonspawns stalk forward with the red one smirking at the pair, "Move it Chute before I-"

"Before you what," Spike rose, finding the others between his elbow and shoulder in height.

Before the males could say anything, a ball of blue fire knocks the red back into the brown fat dragonspawn. "Wha' hav I said about messin with my sista Garble?" the eight turn to see a dragoness with green and silver scales. As she lands next to Spike, she snarls at the group of males while nodding to Spike, "Imma gonna break yer jaws, ya bunch of winged newts."

"There's just one of you and six of us," Garble snarls at her before a deep huffs sound behind him.

Turning, he's thrown back as Spike lash out with the end of his tail, "I'm not the best at math but I only count five baby seals and two dragons." As the others look between the two taller dragonspawns and their knocked out leader, they whimper before darting away. As Chute runs up to the taller dragoness, Spike approach them slowly, "Sorry all of that, I'm-"

"Spike, I heard ya," the dragoness smirk at him as Chute climbs up her back, "name's Amber an thanks for watchin my lil' sis."

As Spike turns to head towards a lava pool, Chute hugs his forearm, "Tank yu Spike!" "How yus ge so stron?" unknown to the trio, a pair of white dragoness and a gold dragonspawn edge listen in from a cliff.

Smiling at the younger female, he lays down as Chute curls next to him, "Have you ever heard of Everblight?" Seeing the pair shake their heads, he frowns, "It all started when Toruk the Dragonfather was pushed out of current day Equestria..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Garble growls as he shoves Fume off of the cluster of jewels, "That. Uptight. BITCH!" "So what if I was messing with the runt," as he paces around, Garble kick Vex in his muzzle, "it's the nature of dragons to prey on the weak." "And that freak, he'll pay dearly for embarrassing me," unknown to the sextet, part of the volcano crumble showing a single red scaled eyelid. "FUCK!" infuriated, Garble roars and grabs a boulder before throwing it behind him. Opening his mouth to rant, he and the others shudder as part of the volcano breaks apart, "What the...oh shit."

Spike, Ember, Chute, the three ponies and the other dragons look up as a loud roar echo across the area. As Spike rose, he see the sextet speed past him, "By Toruk's maw, why the Tartarus are they running?" Here a loud crack, the various dragonspawns look to see the volcano break apart. Reaching down and grabbing Chute, Spike and the others draconic beings took to the sky.

"EARTHQUAKE!"

"No," the many dragonspawns look at Spike in disbelief, before looking where he's pointing, "like Everblight said-"

"-every mountain has their story," Twilight, Rarity and Rainbow Dash gap as a large red dragon burst from the volcano as if hatching from an egg. Black spines ran down his back as lava drips from his mouth. Glowing orange eyes leer down at the land as he roars his awakening loudly and a cloud of ash spread.

As the various dragonspawns hover high above and phoenixes swarm below, Chute whimpers before looking at Spike, "Ho-Ho is he? Wat is he?"

"An ancient true dragon, a direct son of Toruk," the others look at Spike in shock before looking in awe at the mountain size dragon, "and his name is-"

"Pyromalfic," Rarity whimper as Rainbow points on a brave face, Twilight looking up at the freshly awake dragon as it gaze around itself, "he who chased the sirens' ancestors deep underwater and who once commanded an army of diamond dogs."

"The Mountain's Flame/The Mountain's Flame," if a living soul would turn to look at the ponies, they would see the athanc sliver glow a deep red color.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Everblight felt a shift he hadn't felt in many millennia that called him to rise. The subtle change in the wind, the tremble of the very ground and the rise in temperature. As he extends himself out to the sliver of his heartstone, it told him of the most obvious thing he could think of. A sibling has awoken and has challenge the very world order. Feeling the others drifting awake, he snarl as he feels the fear of his only brood member.

"Father! Pyromalfic is-"

"I know my son, I know," great wings opens with a snap as townponies alike turn from the glowing red of the west to Everblight as he rose to his full height. With a single leap, he took of at great speed towards the dragon migration, "I'm on my way."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ As Spike blinks back to reality, Pyromalfic grins darkly before pointing at the mass of dragonspawns, "Bow." As the single word comes from his mouth, several drops from the sky as their will shatter like a glass struck by stone. Frowning, the great red dragon glare at the others before asserting his will on them. Soon, only Spike, Garble, Amber and Chute refuse to bow while visibly shaking. "How can such weak dragonspawns resist my thrall," flames licking at his maw, he strides forward and grabs Chute in his hand.

As the others cry out in terror, Pyromalfic squeeze the young dragonet with sadistic glee, "What force on this pitiful world has allowed you to refuse my command?"
As if answering his question, a far away roar broke through the heavy silence. As his thrall was broken and the dragonspawns and phoenixes flew under the canopy, he and every living thing turn towards the east. At first, only a mass of blue energy could be seen. As the mass came closer, Spike and the ponies' expression turn to happiness as the shape of another monstrous size dragon with white scales and brown carapace loose another roar. As the dragon circle around, Ember look over to Garble before looking to Spike, "Um...why does it look like you want to cheer?"

"Because he helps me become what I am," as the white dragon lands with a snarl on his muzzle, Spike grins proudly as several other dragonspawns turn towards him in shock, "I have called him Teach, Councilor...Father." "But my alpha, his name, is-"

"Everblight," Pyromalfic chuckles as the other dragon close his wings and stalks down, tearing chunks of earth off with each step, "so good to see you...brother."

"Pyromalfic...ya got a lot of nerve trying what ya did," blue fire flicker from his maw as Pyromalfic grins at him, "the dragonspawns are mine."
The pair glare at one another before each took a deep breath and roar. Pyromalfic swung his tail, equipped with deadly thagomizers, at Everblight. Deflecting with his tail blade, he lunge forward and claws the face of Pyromalfic. As the great red roar in rage, the dragonspawns watch the fight of two titan size dragons. The two dragons then rose on their hind legs and grapple, trying to push the other down.

As Pyromalfic grins and push down, Amber look over to an unconcern Spike, "We've gotta-"

"Do nothing," the others and the discovered ponies look surprise at a grinning Spike. Before any of them could speak, they watch as Everblight smirk before dropping backwards and putting a claw against his red brother's groin. As the red dragon is thrown, Everblight rolls before pouncing on his downed brother. "Everblight was the weakest of Toruk's children, so in order to defeat his bigger siblings-"

"-he used strategy and tricks to win," as Twilight finish, Everblight dug his talons into his brother's back. As Pyromalfic still, Everblight pulls out a boulder size ruby with orange cracks that pulse with light. As the dragonspawns and ponies look at the athanc of the loser, Everblight winks at them before eating it. As they flinch back in surprise, the ancient dragon's body is cover in a beam of light.