• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 12,404 Views, 980 Comments

Flight 19 - ImChangingmynameforreaso



Flight 19 disappears and ends up in an unfamiliar country filled with unfamiliar people. Or ponies.

  • ...
44
 980
 12,404

Chapter 17: Culmination (End of Book II)

Chapter 17: Culmination


The gryphon had led them back inside the monastery, pausing to let them shed their cloaks and stomp the snow from their boots and hooves. “I don’t want you tracking all that into the Pentachoron chamber,” he declared. “It’s already such a bother to keep clean as it is.”

“Why’s that?” Star was busily rubbing his legs and hooves dry with a towel one of the gryphons had provided. “I thought you said you didn’t get many visitors to see it.”

“We don’t.” Terrence waited patiently to one side of the common room, leaning against one of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves that seemed to form the majority of the room’s decoration. “The room does still need to be cleaned daily though; it gets terribly dusty.”

Star rubbed the towel over his mane, brushing away encrusted ice and snow. “Why do you have to dust it daily?”

“I don’t.” Terrence looked offended. “What do I look like, a maid?”

Stivers bit back his initial response and tried a different tack. “Why does the room get so dusty?”

“Something to do with the Pentachoron itself; it’s always been like that.” Terrence shrugged. “We also have to go get rid of the rats every morning as well. That will all have been done by this time for you.”

“Rats?” Crimson Hoof stopped dead. “Wait, what about rats? Nopony said anything about a room full of rats.”

“Oh, don’t worry. They’re all dead when we come in. That’s why we have to clean up,” Terrence advised. “It seems to attract them every night along with the dust. But they’re all dead by morning.” He offered the pegasus a wink. “Hopefully you lot will fare better, but we’ll see, I suppose.”

Hoof’s expression looked as though the pony had bitten into a particularly underripe lemon. “What the hoof is that supposed to mean?”

Taylor leaned over, smiling benignly. “If anyone offers you cheese,” he advised, “don’t eat it.”

“Thanks, sir,” Hoof replied sourly. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Are you done?” Golden Sword’s voice cut sharply through the room. “I’d like to get this underway, if you don’t mind.” He waited for a moment, then nodded at Terrence. “Lead on.”

Terrence fluffed his wings and ambled over to one of the larger bookcases near the fireplace. The gryphon reached out with a foreclaw, grasping the edge of the wooden supports and tugged. There was a small clicking sound and the entire section, some seven feet high and three across, swung outward silently, revealing a short corridor beyond that ended in a circular staircase.

“Well I’ll be damned,” Stivers said. “A secret passage.”

“Nonsense.” Terrence looked at him askance. “It’s not secret at all. If I knew about it, how could it be secret?”

“Well I didn’t know about it,” Stivers shot back.

“Don’t tell me, let me guess.” Taylor folded his arms. “We didn’t ask, right?”

“Now you’re catching on,” Terrence said approvingly. “Come along then, let’s go.” He ambled into the opening and started up the staircase with a nimble step, and the others followed behind him, queueing up single-file. The staircase was fairly broad, with what looked like wrought-iron railings on either side, and easily wide enough to accommodate two of the ponies abreast.

“I should have wondered when I never saw a flight of stairs anywhere in the living areas,” Sword ventured. “The multiple levels are easily visible from the outside, after all.”

“True enough,” Terrence replied casually. “Most visitors never think on such things; they only go on what they see at the moment, and not what their brains know is different.” He shrugged and continued climbing. “Well, it’s rare enough we get visitors with brains, much less those who use them.”

“Ouch,” Hoof said from below them. “I think we just got burned.”

“Really?” Terrence leaned over the banister to peer downward. “I can’t imagine how. The torches aren’t even lit unless someone is in here at night, and it’s broad daylight.” He swept a wing toward one of the windows on the outer wall where the light streamed brilliantly into the interior. “Was one still smoldering or something?”

“Figure of speech,” Star said resignedly. “Just a word, Terrence.”

“As you will. You lot are so odd,” the gryphon said. He kept climbing up until they reached the second floor landing. Another shape stood there by an old wooden door, cowled and cloaked. Terrence stopped before it and nodded respectfully. “Good morning, old one. Is all well?”

The shape moved, pulling back the cowl to reveal an ancient visage, the elder gryphon’s feathers worn and tattered with age. “Aye,” it croaked. “All’s ready here, if you are.”

Golden Sword bowed his head respectfully. “Are you the abbott?”

Terrence and the older gryphon both burst out laughing, the oldster with a particularly piercing snort. “Skies no,” he cackled. “I’m just the groundskeeper.” He bowed to Terrence. “It’s all cleaned up and ready to go.” He held out a foreclaw, grasping a small sack which bulged ominously. “I cleaned out the critters for yer.”

Taylor glanced at the sack and leaned back toward Hoof. “Remember, say no to cheese.”

Hoof grunted and they moved aside to let the old gryphon pass as he pushed past them, humming an odd tune under his breath. “I don’t think that’ll be a problem, sir.”

“Ey, if you don’t want those...” William offered, pointing to the sack.

“Pah, you don’t want these, laddie.” The old caretaker shook the bag, and it made a noisome thumping sound against the railing. “They ain’t fresh, and besides, yer don’t want to be gnawin’ on anythin’ yon beastie in there has dispatched.” He made an odd noise and spat. “T’ain’t natural, I tell ye.”

“That’s enough, Cedric, thank you,” Terrence said sharply. “Please excuse us now.”

“Aye,” the caretaker replied simply, and tottered off. There was a brief moment when he stumbled at the foot of the stairs, cursing, and then he passed out of view, still humming the tune and punctuating it with an occasional “Ya hey!”

Star watched him for a moment, and then looked back around at William. “Would you really have eaten those?” he asked, his tone betraying his distaste. “I mean, seriously?”

“Why not? If it’s ‘asn’t been layin’ around fer more ‘an an evenin’, it won’ ha’ gone sour. You do ‘ave to watch out for magicked food though. D’ere was d’is one time, back ‘ome, when my da’ was visitin’ a friend of his, and he had these talking sandwiches he’d had made just for fun, and—” William broke off, seeing five ponies, five humans and one particularly irritated gryphon glaring at him. “Uh, maybe some other time, then?”

Terrence eyed him for a moment longer and then returned to fumbling with the latch. “Ah!” His beak clacked with satisfaction as the lock clicked open. “Here we are. A bit annoying that Cedric locked it back, but one can’t be too careful. Don’t want the wrong sort getting in here, or getting out, for that matter.”

“Who would get out?” Shadow asked. “I thought you said nopony ever comes in here.”

“Come along, then,” Terrence said, ignoring the question. He pushed the door open wide and strode through it, leaving the rest of them standing along the stairway. Sword stood still for a moment, uncertain, one hoof on the landing.

“Right,” he muttered. “Let’s get this done.” He stepped forward and walked through the doorway, the others following along slowly as they shuffled into the room beyond.

The chamber was circular in shape, roughly twenty feet across from side to side, pierced regularly along its circumference by narrow windows with intricate frameworks that let the sunlight fill the room. The roof arched high overhead, and was also marked by eight regular openings; Sword’s careful eye noted that each of them corresponded to a major compass direction. The object in the center of the room immediately caught his attention, as it did all the others. The sunlight shone in evenly, dust motes visibly dancing in the beams in random patterns. The windows shape now apparent as the rays were directed to the gleaming jewel that hung suspended in mid-air over three stonework statures of archaic design. The statue closed to them appeared to be of a gryphon whose countenance was grim and dour, the stonework giving the impression that the creature was glaring at the beholder as they entered the room.

“If tha’s na’ Lord Cane,” William said in a shaky tone, “D’en I’m a bloody pegasus.”

Terrence eyed William suspiciously, then looked back at the statue. “Well, I’m fairly sure you’re not a pegasus,” he stated, “but considering the company you keep, I’ll keep my opinion in reserve, if you don’t mind. As to the statue, it’s entirely possible, but I’ve no real idea. I never met the fellow.”

Another statue was more familiar to the rest of the group. Golden Sword drew in a sharp breath, as did several of the other ponies. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were depicted in astonishing detail, their wings outstretched and touching as they appeared to be leaping into flight. The last stature, however, made him grit his teeth together, for it too was familiar.

“Discord,” he growled. “What the hoof is that doing there?”

“Oh, you recognize that one?” Terrence wandered over and patted the stonework draconequus as if it were a family pet. “Surprising. Most folks of your type don’t go in for lore.”

“We’ve had... dealings with him before,” Midnight offered. “You might say a bit of living history lesson with that one.”

“Amazing.” Terrence sighed. “I always get left off of all the exciting invitation lists. I would have loved to have been there for that.” He shrugged. “No matter, it’s all just decoration, anyway. It’s something that seems to have been left over, and I didn’t have the heart to throw them out; it’s such wondrous craftsmanship, after all.” The gryphon glanced at them knowingly. “Besides, I don’t think its the statuary you ought to be paying attention to, now, is it?”

Stivers shifted uncomfortably. He kept trying to peer at the jewel that hung over the three statues, but his eyes kept wanting to slide away and look at something else. Anything else. “Is that it?”

“Yes.” Terrence’s tone shifted subtly, the playfulness that had been in it ever since their arrival suddenly gone. “Look on it and tell me what you see.”

Silence spun out for a moment. “Um, it’s a jewel?” Hoof ventured.

“Really? What kind?”

“I don’t bucking know,” the pony snapped. “I’m not a jeweller It’s a floating... um, diamond. Or something.”

“No, too dark for diamond.” Sword’s voice was thoughtful. “Garnet, maybe, but too many points.”

“What are you babbling about?” Stivers gestured toward it. “The thing’s shaped like a goose egg. I’ve seen stones like that in a creek near my home.”

“There is no shape,” Midnight said abruptly. “It’s changing. And whenever it looks like something familiar, it changes again. Doesn’t it?” She looked back at the gryphon where he stood casually against the wooden beams of the wall.

“Good, very good.” Terrence’s voice had dropped down slightly. “You’re close.” The gryphon flowed into motion, walking around behind them to the doorway and pushing it closed. The room seemed to darken abruptly, belying the sunlight that still streamed in. “You’re to be congratulated.”

“Why?” Midnight asked. “Because I figured out what it’s doing?” The fact that the gryphon was between them and the exit was setting alarm bells off in her head.

“No, for staying here this long.” Terrence sat down, his bulk blocking the doorway. “The last time someone wanted to take a look, they’d gone screaming out of here by this point.”

“So that means we’re doing great, right?” Taylor turned his head slightly, speaking to the gryphon, but his eyes stayed fixed on the shimmering orb before them. “We can just take it and go?”

“You’ll take it and go, or die trying.” Terrence’s voice had dropped again, and his words took on the tone of an incantation. “What you seek will be found, twixt the sky and the ground. On a pedestal of three, thou shalt find me. The key to my secret will come from a friend. All you desire will be found within.” His wings spread suddenly, the span immense. “I am Terrentio Candentus, Abbott of this refuge and guardian of the Pentachoron. Unlock its secret, or unlock eternity. Make your choice, now.”

Silence hung thickly in the air, finally broken by the sound of someone clearing their throat. “Well aren’t you the fucking Good Humor Man,” Taylor intoned. “And now you’re suddenly the abbott, too?”

“He never said he wasn’t,” Midnight stated wearily. “We just assumed he was talking about somepony else from the start. More wordplay.”

“Well, I don’t know about you, but as opposed to eternity, I’m personally inclined toward the secret unlocking thing,” Taylor said. “It’s the whole actually doing it that has me a bit confused.”

Terrence stood still, his eyes gleaming a brilliant yellow, and said nothing. The gryphon’s gaze seemed to reach out and touch each of them in turn.

“Okay, no help from that quarter.” Taylor looked at Stivers. “Ideas?”

“The Princess said we need to bring it back with us, right?” Stivers shrugged. “So, just walk over and pick the thing up.”

“Right. I never thought of that. Brilliant plan.” Taylor clapped his hands. “Go get it, tiger.”

The Marine looked over at the scintillating jewel that hung before them. Common sense told him that it was just a hunk of shiny rock, and that picking it up was simple. All he had to do was reach out and just... grab it. He stood still, sweat slowly beading up on his brow. “I can’t,” he managed. “What the fuck? I can’t walk toward it.”

“Are you alright, Captain?” Sword’s voice was tinged with a hidden menace as he glared over at Terrence. “What’s wrong?”

Stivers shuddered, then took a step backward. “I can move, there’s nothing wrong with my legs or anything. I get to a certain point, and it’s like nothing works.”

“I’ll do it.” Hoof stepped forward a couple of paces and came to an abrupt halt. “Luna’s sake. I can’t move. Not forward.”

“How the hoof are we supposed to take it and unlock it if we can’t even get to the bucking thing?” Sword spat. He glared at Terrence. “Or is this another one of your little secrets, abbott?

The gryphon’s eyes flared a bright orange, and Sword felt an unseen grip settle about him. The others began twisting uncomfortably as well, and it was plain the sensation was not limited to himself. “What are you doing to us??”

“If you cannot unlock the Pentachoron, then you have failed,” Terrence growled. “Do you cry off, then?”

“No!” Midnight lunged forward, and there was the faintest sensation of something parting before her, like a wisp of a curtain parting. She reached out with a forehoof to touch it, and a blinding flash wiped the room from her vision. She stumbled backward, shaking her head, and tripped, her legs flailing in a tangle as she tumbled to the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The room had gone completely dark, and Midnight looked around, her wings flapping in panic as she found nothing but unrelenting blackness on every side.

“Hello?” she called out. The sound seemed to die shortly after leaving her lips, and there was no return echo. She could hear the sounds of her fur and feathers rustling as she gathered herself and stood up, but the sound was muted and weak. Her ears tilted back, flattening against her head as Midnight turned slowly in place, her nose twitching as she reached out with every sense she had. No smell, no sound, and there was nothing to touch, either, at least within range of her hooves.

Fright began to nibble in at the corners of her mind, and she fought it away. Now is not the time. “Hello?” she repeated. “Is anypony there?” Her nostrils flared as she sniffed again, and without thinking about it, she spoke again. “Anypony besides me?”

“Not bad,” a low voice chuckled off in the distance.

Midnight jerked reflexively, her ears flicking upright. “Who is that? Terrence, is that you? Are you teasing us again?”

“No, I’m not Terrence.” The voice seemed closer. “He’s quite useful now and again, but he’s nought but a tool. That’s all most of you are, usually. Sometimes simple, sometimes complex, but tools, one way or another.” It chuckled again, the sound making Midnight’s mane jump and nearly stand on end. “The few that aren’t are so interesting, though. So, which are you, my dear?”

Midnight crouched down, trembling as a dim shape began to form before her, its features coalescing slowly from motes of light that gathered themselves from the nothingness around her. The face was all too recognizable. “Discord,” she whispered.

The shape laughed. “Oh no, I’m sorry, but you’re quite mistaken.” Yellow eyes with glowing red pupils fixed her in their mocking gaze. “This is a simulacrum, my dear. A shape. You all seem to be so hung up on shapes,” it said in a plaintive tone. “You’re nearly impossible to communicate with without some kind of form involved. And if its something you find unpleasant, then it just makes it harder.” It shrank down suddenly, morphing into a smaller form equal to Midnight’s size. Yellow fur emerged, and a pink mane unfolded, draping over the smiling face. “Is this better?” it asked in a low, quiet tone.

“Fluttershy?” Midnight gaped momentarily. “No, you’re back in Ponyville.”

“That’s right,” Fluttershy said, and giggled. “You seem to not mind this shape that much. I think I’ll keep it for a bit.” Twin pools of aquamarine gazed at her. “If I really like it, I might just keep it for myself. The original owner won’t miss it, after all.”

“Don’t you dare!” Midnight spat. She lunged forward and shoved at Fluttershy with her forehooves, sending the other pony sprawling. “Stop that!”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy stammered. “You see what I mean? All hung up on shapes.” The other pegasus picked herself up and made a show of brushing herself off. “Well then. I think that’ll do for what we have to do, here.”

“What do you mean?” Midnight shivered as the Fluttershy clone before her offered her a beaming smile. She looked so real. “What are you?”

“I’m everything you, or anyone else, ever wanted, or could ever possibly want.” Fluttershy made a show of inspecting her hooves. “Although I have to admit, this is really a bit small and inconsequential, but you have your limits, I’m aware. So, I’m offering you a choice.” Fluttershy spread her wings and hovered in the air, beginning to glow slightly. “You want me, and my knowledge. Fine. It’ll be interesting to see what you make of it, but I’m not giving you the whole package.”

Midnight backed away a step as Fluttershy’s form flared brightly and split into three identical shapes. The central form lowered itself and folded its wings, but the ones on either side moved away and began to enlarge. The form on the left spread out, growing larger and settling itself down, the colors rippling and cascading through it as it altered shape again. A horn sprouted from the brow, and gentle pastel colors flowed through the mane and tail as the form of Princess Celestia solidified. The rightmost one grew taller and thinner, the legs merging in spots and then re-emerging as it took on another familiar form. It finally settled down, and the brilliant blue eyes looked at her. “Well, ain’t this something?” it asked.

“Taylor?” Midnight shook her head. “What...” She looked at all three of them. “What am I supposed to do?”

“You stand at a rare point,” Celestia said. “You’re at a crossroads of your own destiny, and you get to choose the direction you’ll go in and be aware of your choice.” The alicorn looked over at the other two beside it.

“So choose,” Fluttershy said. Her voice dropped, becoming almost inaudible. “But you only get to pick one of us.”

“Don’t worry about which one,” Taylor said soothingly. “Remember, we’re not really here, and nopony... and no one... will know your choice but you. So don’t get all hung up on shapes again, like you did last time.”

“But once you choose, you can never go back,” Fluttershy advised. “I mean, that is, even if you really wanted to.” The voice grew timid. “If that’s okay with you.”

Celestia glared at the pony simulacrum beside her. “Even if it isn’t,” she added, “you must abide by your choice and live... or die... with the consequences.” She shifted restlessly. “So make your choice. Now.”

Midnight glanced from one of them to the next for a moment. Each looked back at her invitingly, but held their peace. The Taylor one even folded its hands, the thumbs twiddling idly as it looked at her. The mare stepped forward and slowly circled them, walking around behind them and then stopping to stand before them once again. “Very well,” she said thickly. “I will make my choice now.”

“Excellent!” Celestia’s form said. “Which shall it be?”

“None of you.”

The silence was almost palpable before the Fluttershy clone spoke. “W-What?”

“I said none of you.” Midnight Arrow’s eyes glittered viciously as she glared at the three forms before her. “I have had it with having my life laid out before me by someone else and being told what I have to do. And I will not be forced to make some vague, arbitrary choice about my future by some... some chameleon with an ill disposition and a bad sense of humour.” She lifted her head and stared at each of them in turn. “I came here for the Pentachoron, not soul searching. Either give me what I came for or be done with it. I’m sick of your games.”

Celestia gawped at her. “Are you certain of this?”

Midnight ground her teeth together and bit back a reply. She turned about, facing away from all three of them and remained silent. She heard a faint shuffling sound from behind her, and Fluttershy’s voice spoke up.

“Oh my,” it said, and fell silent. The light dimmed but did not fade entirely; Midnight glanced down and realized she could still see the outline of her body. A faint shadow from her forelegs stretched outward before her into the surrounding darkness.

“Midnight? What the hell is going on here?”

She stamped a hindhoof. “I told you I made my decision—” She spun around and stopped awkwardly. Celestia and Fluttershy were gone, but Taylor still stood there, blinking and looking around as if dazed. Beside them both, almost within touching distance, was the glimmering jewel, floating in mid-air and emitting the faint light that enabled her to see. “Taylor?”

“Present and unaccounted for,” he shot back. “What the holy hell is this?”

A flood of relief surged through Midnight, and she could have shouted for joy. “You’re really here?”

“What, do you want a friggin signed affidavit from my squadron commander? It might take awhile, the mail service here is really slow.”

Midnight started to ask him how he had gotten there, then paused, her eyes narrowing in suspicion again. That was the kind of response she’d expected from him. And if the intelligence inhabiting the Pentachoron had any penchant for reading her mind... “Prove it.”

He blinked. “What?”

“Prove you’re Taylor. Say something you might normally say, but not something I’d expect.” She waved a forehoof in the air. “Surprise me.”

“I don’t...” He paused, considering. “Okay, how about a poem?”

“Go on.” This ought to be good, she thought.

Taylor struck a pose, one finger pontifically uplifted. “There once was a young man named Enos. Who had an incredible—”

“Okay okay, stop stop stop,” Midnight yelled, sitting back and clapping her forehooves over her ears.

“—skin rash,” he finished, grinning.

“If there was any doubt, you’ve removed it. I’m convinced.” Midnight felt relief wash over her again. “You’re just as annoying as ever.”

“It’s those tender comments of yours that fill my heart with joy.” Taylor crouched down on one knee and spread a hand on the ground. “What is this place? We were all standing around that damned room watching each other fiddle-fart and go nowhere, and you hauled ass up to the Pentachoron and froze.” He let his fingertips trail over the smooth surface underfoot. “You just sat there for a moment, and then bammo! I’m here in Nowhere, South Dakota with you and the big shiny thing.” He eyed it uncertainly, then looked at her. “What were you talking about? What decision did you make?”

Midnight opened her mouth to reply, and then closed it suddenly with a snap as some unspoken warning in the back of her mind kicked in. “Nothing,” she said. “Nothing important. Come on, let’s get this thing and find a way out of here.”

That wasn’t one of the choices, little mare, the voice of the Pentachoron spoke up in her mind. Now I get to pick. A low, rolling growl emerged from the darkness, and on the far side of the gem, a pair of gleaming red eyes opened up and stared at them both.

“Okay, I seriously did not sign up for this shit when I had a talk with Uncle Sam,” Taylor said. “What the fuck is that?”

“Our host.” Midnight shifted to the left and froze as the gaze followed her movement. “I think I displeased it.”

“It?” Taylor backed up a step, and then stopped when the eyes turned his way. He shivered as the baleful gleam stayed fixated on him. “Okay, what’s the plan, here?”

Midnight glanced around. “I think if we can get the jewel, we’ll be able to get out of here. That’s the key to everything.” She missed the odd look Taylor threw her way. “All of the rest of this...it’s just shadows. Distractions. If we just take the gem, we can go.”

“I don’t think Fido over there wants us to take his bone,” Taylor opined. He reached a hand out tentatively toward the Pentachoron and snatched it back when a snarl ripped out of the darkness. “Christ, it’s huge.

“Taylor, we’re still at the monastery, remember? You said so yourself, you saw me rush up and touch the jewel, and then I stopped.” She felt a wave of anger rush over her as she glared back at the red eyes. Still playing games. We don’t have time for this!

The pilot stopped and looked at her for a moment. “So this is all just in our heads? Nothing here really matters?”

“Nothing but the Pentachoron.” Midnight nodded at the slowly twirling gem. “If we don’t get it... we’re all done. It’s the key. Nothing else matters.”

“Right.” Taylor took a deep breath, and then offered her a shaky grin. “You got the wings on you, hon. Grab it and haul ass.” He leapt forward abruptly and past her into the darkness, toward the waiting eyes.

“Taylor! NO!” Midnight screamed. “STOP!”

“GO!” he bellowed, and then his voice was cut off by a feral cry of rage. The eyes dimmed and turned away, and the sounds of struggle began floating out of the darkness. There were several muted thumps of flesh striking something firm, and then a horrible tearing sound and the pilot screamed.

Midnight wavered for a moment, her muscles thrumming as she fought the urge to rush into the tumult. She reached out and grabbed the Pentachoron in her forehooves, feeling the odd warmth of the gem as it settled into her grasp. Her eyes streaming, she spread her wings and shot upward into the dark, flying blindly into the nothingness and trying to block out the sounds as they slowly faded away behind her. Seconds passed, then minutes, the only sound the muted flap of her wings and her own harsh breathing. Come on, come ON, she thought. I’ve got you, you’re mine now, let me go!

Interesting. The voice of the jewel spoke up from the black air directly before her. That wasn’t what I had in mind at all. She heard a low sigh, and then a clicking sound that made her vision flicker abruptly. Very well. It’s been millenia, but I suppose I can go back to being a tool instead of serving one. I am yours, Midnight Arrow. A glow of white began to appear in the air before her, and she swooped toward it, feeling wind against the dampness of tears on her cheeks.

I am yours, the voice repeated. I do wonder how you’ll use me, though. It tittered softly as she flew into the blinding glow. I think it will be... interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Midnight stood frozen in place, then gasped, her chest heaving for breath. She blinked and saw the glittering jewel settled snugly in place beneath her outstretched forehooves. The warm glow of sunlight blasted into her senses, and she looked around to see the rest of her group staring at her in utter shock.

“Holy shit, Ell-Tee, how’d you do that? I couldn’t even move.” Gruebel reached out a boot gingerly and then stepped forward. “Hey, it’s gone now.”

The rest of them began inching toward her slowly, like newborn colts trying out their first steps. Midnight stumbled and settled back on her haunches, sitting awkwardly with the Pentachoron still clutched in her grasp. She jerked her head around and saw Taylor, still standing with the others, but staring at her instead of the gem or his feet. His eyes met hers, and she shuddered at the haunted look in his face. “Taylor? Are you—”

“All is well then,” Terrence intoned, his voice returned to its normal level. The gryphon looked at Midnight and smiled slightly, but his voice was sad. “The Pentachoron is returned to us once again, to work its will, and yours.” The smile faded from his beak. “And may all our ancestors have pity on you, my dear. I’m so sorry.”

Chapter 16: Contrapasso ToC → Book 3, coming when I get back from Basic training.

(~august/september)

Author's Note:

For those of you who are not paying attention to the bajillions of blog posts I put out, I am leaving for basic training. This means I will not be able to post a chapter for upwards of 8 months. Hang in there, because you guys are what is going to get me though this.

Book III, coming when I get back.