• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 3,296 Views, 159 Comments

Work Horses - swedely



In the near future, man will unlock the secrets of inter-dimensional transport and enslave ponies.

  • ...
54
 159
 3,296

Marshmallows and Butter

I don’t know what it was about large gatherings of people, but they always made me depressed. Seeing other people pass merrily by in flocks to their next destination would make me look at myself, strolling aimlessly and alone, and feel worthless. I guess some people are just better at losing themselves in the moment. I could never do that. Everything had an objective, and it was my goal to meet it.

I went to the town fair to meet some friends and try to enjoy myself. I found them, well part of them. It was as if I hadn’t seen them in years. Their faces were the same, but their hobbies were more…mature. Congregating in the background, lighting up cigarettes, and nobody around giving a damn. Kids everywhere, smoking, dressing indecently, growing into horrid monsters, leaving behind mere shadows of themselves.

I crouch down by the carousel and wait for my mom to pick me up, trying only to blend in and not think. The monsters, however, notice me. They skulk closer and closer speaking in a language I recognized but did not understand. Their voices heightened and lowered in pitch, became raspy, and it all frightened me. When I didn’t respond, they would bellow hideous cackles and guffaws, but eventually they were infuriated and grabbed me. The carousel’s music grew louder as they pinned me to the asphalt and pressed their cigarettes on my skin. I couldn’t hear myself scream over the music.

The music turned into singing, then to a muffled whisper, then to a clear voice calling my name.

“Eric! Eric, wake up!”

The monsters and the fair vanished and I opened my eyes to find my roommate, Luke, shaking, smiling, and staring at me. His skin was more pale than usual, making his freckles stick out like mud on a white suit.
“Eric, do you know what’s on your bed?” There was a tinge of vibrato in his voice, as if he was about to explode in hysterical laughter.

I tried to guess what could be in my bed that would make Luke so happy. At first, I jokingly thought of a dildo, but then I remembered the events of last night. “I take it you met, uh…Flutters?”

Luke stooped down lower and let out a noise like he was punched in the gut, though his smile only grew. “I think you mean Fluttershy!”

Leave it to a brony to correct me on a pony’s name. “Well whoever she is, you can take care of her. I don’t want anything to do with talking ponies.

“Aww, c’mon Eric! I can’t be here all the time. I gotta take care of Michelle too! Just think of her as…as a home project. I know how much you love to take care of animals, and that’s what Fluttershy used to do!”

I sighed in resignation. Even though Michelle was a brony too, she found out she was allergic to talking ponies when she and Luke went to an auction. Luke was gone for a week consoling her. “Fine, but don’t be shocked if she’s just gone one day. If Flutters,”

“Fluttershy.”

“Whatever! If Fluttershy gets on my nerves, I am inclined to kick her out.”

Luke’s smile finally left him. “You can’t just do that Eric! She’s one of the elements of harmony!”

“Then you can take care of her yourself.”

I crossed my arms and smiled in satisfaction. Luke looked like he was about to throw up, which made me chuckle a little. Finally, Luke said, “Fine. I doubt you’d even have a problem with her anyways. That smile of yours will probably scare her away.”

I laughed and replied, “Trust me; I won’t be smiling with her around.”

I stood up and went to my room to get a change of clothes. I grabbed what I needed and started to undress when I saw the pony sleeping soundly in my bed. I won’t deny that she looked adorable, but then again I would say the same thing about a snake constricting my arm. She was whimpering and fidgeting every so often. From what blabbering I understood from Luke, Fluttershy was a pony that was literally afraid of her own shadow, so I imagined what beautiful dream she was being terrified of. I stepped into the bathroom and tried to remember what my dream was about. Something about a circus…a fog machine? Oh well.

I saw my reflection in the mirror and noticed a big scrape on the side of my face. How didn’t Luke notice this? Oh right; my face never left the pillow. I opened the cabinet and pulled out some hand sanitizer. I never used to clean a wound other than putting water on it, but ever since I started studying to be a vet I took a couple extra precautions, even if they weren’t very good ones. I took a little of the substance out and rubbed it thoroughly in my hands. I took a deep breath and slapped my scrape repetitively, pursing my lips as the sting coursed through my face. After cleaning the wound I realized I didn’t shower last night like I usually do.

One shower later, I got dressed and headed to the kitchen for some cereal. I opened the door and the mellow pony’s head snapped towards me. She half hid herself behind the covers and whispered, “Um, good morning sir.”

“Good morning.” I responded flatly. “Uhh…you eat cereal?”

All I got in reply was a small nod and a lowering of the blanket. “Alright, all we’ve got is Lucky Charms so I hope that’s ok.”

Her pupils shrunk to an impossible size. “D-don’t those have m-m-m-m-marshmallows?”

“Uh, yeah, they do…why?”

“I heard marshmallows were p-p-pieces of my friend, Rarity.”

Something clicked in my head and I just stared back at the pony with a stone face. “Yeah, and I heard you were a stick of butter, you want breakfast or not?”

She slowly crawled out of my bed and followed me to the kitchen, though she seemed to keep her distance from me. I poured two bowls, put one on the table, and the other on the floor. Fluttershy said thanks, but she never looked at me. She only looked at her cereal sadly before she slowly began to eat. She only ate about half of it and said she was finished. I cleaned both bowls and sat down on the couch. Thank God I don't have class or anything today. I looked over at the clock and noticed that it was 1:08. Wow, we were knocked out. Luke was nowhere to be seen. He must have a date with Michelle and left while I was in the shower.

“Oh my, what happened to your face? Did you scrape it when we were running last night?” The pony was looking at me with pity in her eyes.

“No, I had a dream that zombies were eating my face and it came true.” I said scornfully.

The pony vanished underneath the couch, and I facepalmed. Geez, this pony is gonna drive me insane. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head. “You know, zombies like to live under couches.”

A yellow blur darted out from under the couch back to my bedroom, and I fell off the couch laughing.