• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 3,297 Views, 159 Comments

Work Horses - swedely



In the near future, man will unlock the secrets of inter-dimensional transport and enslave ponies.

  • ...
54
 159
 3,297

The Fall

Reminder: anything in this story that is received as offensive by anyone is strictly accidental and in no way intended for malice. I sincerely apologize if you are offended by the content of my story.



"We will resume the trial after a fifteen minute recess.”

Judge Carter banged his gavel, and everyone stood up and headed out the courtroom doors. Of course, we had to stay cuffed and under constant watch, but we were allowed to talk with our lawyer. I looked at Luke, and could see that he was still distraught from the accusations. I needed to cheer him up.

“Hey bud, you alright? “

“No,” he responded, “Oh God. What if he’s right? What if I did keep Fluttershy hostage for my own purposes and never even realized it? I’m a freakish monster.”

He looked down at himself, ashamed. I had to say something to make him snap out of it.

“Wow. You’re really gonna let an overpaid story teller convince you of who you are on the inside? You know what I think? I think you took her in because you felt that she was running from something, and that’s what we’re here today to prove! I know who you are, and so does everyone else around you.”

Next came a shrill, angry voice that sent a chill up my spine.

“You SICK bastard! How could you do something so evil, so heinous? I thought you were a sweet guy who would only do what was right. Well boy was I wrong!” Maybe this is why I don’t have a girlfriend. "I knew you were more interested in that pony than me! You wanted to make sure your retirement didn’t fly out the window!”

The only thing that kept Michelle from tearing Luke limb from limb was the line of officers that surrounded us.

“Shelly,” said Luke, “I didn’t do it for that! You know I would never do anything like that!”

“I’m not your ‘Shelly’ anymore! We’re through! I hope you rot in prison.”

Michelle stormed off, leaving Luke in tears and shock. Poor Luke. He’s gonna fall apart any moment now. I can’t imagine how much he’s hurting right now. All I could do was grasp his knee with my cuffed hands to offer him my empathy. I looked to Arnold and said, “Please, get us out of this.”

The rest of the case was a blur. All the prosecution could do was bring one of the cops that chased Fluttershy and I that one night to the stand. Aside from that, Diego just reiterated what he said before about Luke being the mastermind and me the henchman. Finally, we got our chance.

“Does the defense have anything to counter the evidence?” asked Judge Carter.

“Yes we do your honor.” Arnold stood up tall, proud, and the slightest bit smug. “Edward G. Vincent is a respectable man, correct? He’s a brilliant business man, oil extraordinaire, and from what I hear, a wonderful father and husband. He even got financial advice from Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara after the passing of her father,” I looked back and saw the pony in the audience smiling and wiping a tear from her eye. That must be Diamond Tiara. “But we have reason to believe that this man of gold has a bit of corrosion. Your honor, the defense calls Ned Vincent to the stand”

A murmur began to grow in the courtroom, and Judge Carter banged his gavel to hush it all. I looked at Vincent as he stood, calm as ever. You know we’ve got you! You don’t have a prayer! Vincent took a seat by the podium and the bailiff approached him to swear the oath. “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?”

“So help me God.”

Arnold took a few paces towards the podium with his hands in his pockets and began asking his first question. “Mr. Vincent, can you please tell the court if you are a brony?”

“I am, and proud of it!” Vincent said with a big smile.

“And how long have you been a brony?”

“Well, the show first grabbed my attention when I was twenty-two, so about forty years ago.”

“And I’m sure you’ve seen a lot of the fandom over the years; a lot of music, works of fan-made literature, art. Did you like the art?”

“Depends on what kind of art you’re talking about. I thought the comics were funny, I loved the grand, epic pictures with lots of detail and emotion.”

“Detail and emotion huh?” Arnold smirked, “Would you mind sharing with the court what your favorite photo was, or your favorite kind of art?”

Diego stood up suddenly. “Your honor, this is completely irrelevant to the case at hand.”

Arnold snapped back. “Objection! Your honor, what I’m trying to say is imperative to the case.”

Judge Carter looked sternly at Arnold with furrowed brows and squinted eyes. “Then get to it Mr. Goldstein!”

Arnold looked to the jury box and said, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the point I’m trying to drive home is that Mr. Vincent is a clopper.” Vincent fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat, “Now, you might ask what this has to do with those two young boys over there,” he pointed towards Luke and I, “What it means is that while the “evidence” against them is baseless and circumstantial, ours is damning. We got a warrant to sweep Mr. Vincent’s computer and found nothing, but with some analyzing and chasing usernames, we have traced several pornography sites back to him, many of which contained clop, or pony porn.”

Vincent threw his hands up in the air and proclaimed, “Ya caught me! I’m a clopper! What does that have to do with any of this?”

Arnold smiled confidently. “Mr. Vincent, weren’t you listening to my opening statement? We have reason to believe that my clients are protected under the Hospitality Clause of the MoPA guidelines and constitution. If an owner is abusive to his or her pony and said pony runs away to the care of another person, then the new owners are exempt from kidnapping charges and the previous owner can be charged with animal abuse. This includes sexual abuse.”

Judge Carter contemplated this for a moment and I thought we were in the clear, but the words that came out of his mouth made my heart sink. “Mr. Goldstein, this proves very little. Either produce some hard evidence, or I will let the jury deliberate.”

Arnold looked at us, with worry and pity in his eyes. He mouthed the words “What now” and I felt completely helpless. I thought of everything we’d done with the pony and nothing came to mind. I was on the verge of tears. Damn! Shit! Bitch! Agh! What can we do?! What did we do?! Why did I take her with us? And then the answer to my prayers hit me.

“MY HOODIE!” I bolted to my feet, knocking over the chair beneath me.

The murmur returned, louder this time, and once again, Judge Carter hammered away. “Order! ORDER! What is the meaning of this outburst Mr. Cornell?”

“Your maje-honor,” I stuttered, which made Diego giggle, “if I could just have a moment with my lawyer.”

He looked at me for a good long second or two as I tried my hardest to make my eyes look like a puppy’s. “I’ll allow this, but this better be produce some results.”

Arnold walked over briskly and I whispered to him my plan. Once I finished explaining, Arnold’s eyes widened up. He walked to the center of the courtroom. “I request a piece of evidence be pulled from police custody your honor; one hoodie.”

Judge Carter asked for the item from the officers at the doors, and a few minutes later the article of clothing arrived in a plastic bag. I looked over at Luke, who seemed to be in a trance.

“You awake buddy? We’re about to go free!”

He never even looked up. “Whatever…”

I decided not to press him further and instead looked at the scene that was about to play out. Arnold put on a cotton glove and removed my hoodie from the bag.

“My client, Eric Cornell, told me that Fluttershy’s coat was immaculately soft and smooth, like a cat’s. He also mentioned that she sheds like one too, and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get all of the fur off of this hoodie, which he always wears. The night Mr. Cornell “abducted” Fluttershy he picked her up with this hoodie in order to hide her appearance and not draw attention from the police. He noted that her coat was very smooth that night. Now, why would that be? Sure, the Vincents can probably afford the most expensive shampoos, but we hold another theory. Your honor, I request a DNA test be made on the fur of this hoodie.”

I looked at Vincent, who was sweating and hyperventilating. You see that? That’s called justice you bastard! A fairly large machine was wheeled into the courtroom as Arnold began picking off a few hairs with a pair of tweezers. Thank God for advances in genetic technology. Arnold deposited the hairs on a tray, pressed a button, and the tray inserted itself into the whirring machine. Arnold looked back at Judge Carter once more. “One last thing your honor. I request a sample of DNA from Mr. Vincent.”

“You can’t do that!” shouted Vincent.

“On the contrary, he can.”

Everyone looked to a man in a black suit, white shirt, and red and white striped tie. He was of average height, had very neat hair, and looked very fit.

He pulled a badge from his coat pocket and said, “Morgan Winslow of the Management of Ponies Administration. I am here on official business to oversee this case and make sure that justice is properly served and, if needed, arrest the guilty. Your honor, I am aware of my limitations, but I am also aware of your power. If you grant a search warrant for this man’s DNA, you will find the answers we’re all looking for, but the decision is entirely your own.”

I looked back towards the judge, who was still watching the man in the suit. We waited for what felt like hours, and then Judge Carter finally pulled out a slip of paper, filled it out, and signed it. “We might as well get this over with,” he said resigned.

I felt a smile break across my face, which I fought to suppress. Don’t celebrate too early.

Judge Carter handed the bailiff the warrant, and the bailiff took a Q-tip to Vincent’s mouth. He seemed to refuse at first, but reluctantly, he let the bailiff swab his mouth. The saliva covered utensil was brought to Arnold, who then put it in another tray on the machine. He pushed another button and we waited eagerly for the results. There was a screen on one side of the machine. At first it said “no match” and my heart nearly stopped, but then the screen blinked the result away and said “match.” “Your honor,” said Arnold, “it would appear that Mr. Vincent’s DNA was on Fluttershy’s fur. And just so there’s no mistake,” he pressed on the screen which made it change once more, “the test was one part saliva, one part hair, one part semen.”

The courtroom exploded with talking, shouting, stomping, slamming of hands, banging, and crying. I saw the officers escorting the audience out of the courtroom, leaving it empty except for the jury, lawyers, Luke, me, Vincent, Judge Carter, and Morgan Winslow. Judge Carter looked to the jury and said, “Members of the jury, you may now deliberate.”

The group stood up and exited through a door next to their seats. We waited for a few minutes and they returned. “Has the jury reached a verdict?”

One of the jurors stood up. “Yes your honor. We the jury find the defendants not guilty for the abduction of the pegasus, Fluttershy.”

All I could do was smile and lay my head on the desk. I heard footsteps approaching from behind me. They belonged to the MoPA agent who was walking up to Vincent.

“Ned Vincent, you are under arrest for the sexual abuse of a pony.”

Vincent was read his rights and was escorted out of the courtroom.

“Bailiff, release these two and see that they reclaim their things. This court is dismissed.” Judge Carter banged his gavel once more and Luke and I were free at last.

There was a huge party for us at the local bar. Everyone wanted to buy Luke and myself a drink. I gave one to Arnold. It was the least I could do. After we got our things back from custody, we picked up Fluttershy from the pound. She said she didn’t want to see more people at the moment, so we took her back to our place and left for the party. None of this seemed to cheer Luke up any. I saw him sitting at the bar, taking shot after shot. I knew I had to be a good friend, so I went over to try to cheer him up.

“You come here often, stud?” I gave him the eye and a pair of puckered lips, but all he did was sigh and look even worse. “Come on man, how can Michelle still be mad at you? Did you talk to her?”

“Yeah…she said I still care more about Fluttershy than her and just walked away.” He took another shot and stood up. “I’m goin’ home.”

Luke stumbled toward the door, hiccupping. “Let me help you man,” I said.

He just grunted and shook me off. We were within easy walking distance of the bar, but it was still pretty far for a drunk dude. I watched him shove the door open with his body weight and drank my mug worriedly.

Fifteen minutes later, I decided I should leave too and make sure he got home safely. I thanked everyone for supporting us and headed out. The sun was down now, but I was still checking to make sure Luke wasn’t passed out in the streets. I hope he’s in bed when I get back. I pulled the car into the lot, locked it, and headed up to our room.

I opened the door and heard a noise. It sounded like grunting and gasping, almost like crying, but it sounded like more than one person. The lights were off, but I didn’t want to disturb whoever was making the noise, so I followed it to the source. It led me to my room, only now it sounded less like crying. I switched on the lights and nearly thought I was having an alcohol induced nightmare and I was actually passed out at the bar or somewhere. Oh how I wish that was the truth. What I saw was Luke hunched over on the floor and pulling on a red shirt over Fluttershy’s eyes. I did what my first instinct told me to do, and that was yank Luke away from her and throw my fist into his temple. He fell to the floor out cold half with his pants around his knees.

Fluttershy laid there shivering, whimpering, and sobbing. Again, my instincts took over and I picked her up hurriedly. At first she fought me, but she looked into my face and cried into my chest. Her coat was unkempt and her mane was a mess. I took her straight outside and into the hall. Sitting against the wall, I rocked back and forth, trying to calm her, but I knew it was useless. I had to get her out of here, and not just out of the apartment.