• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 957 Views, 70 Comments

Equestria; UNDEAD - runningtoastgirl77



One day, a mare came back from the bathroom to find herself with the dead bodies, or at least what is left of them, and from there our young heroine is thrown into the world of post- apocalyptia. Can Equestria ever go back to a place of harmony?

  • ...
9
 70
 957

Chapter Five: On The Road

“Good morning, Whirly’...” I yawned.

Whirlwind blushed, “Oh… good morning…”

I sat down and ate my morning oat rations. “How did ya’ sleep?”

“Fine…” he obviously wasn’t used to casual talk. He munched on an apple.

“So, What’d you used to do?”

“Well… I was a weather pony… nah, I’m still a weather pony,” he said casually as if he had expected to just be going back to work in a few days. “I helped make clouds.”

“Like what you did back at the river?”

“Oh, no… at the weather control in Cloudsdale, pegasi just manage the mechanics. The machines make clouds, really pegasi haven’t made clouds since they were invented a long, long time ago. At the Cloudsdale school we learn how to make clouds as a last resort, but it’s not common regulation.”

“Your from Cloudsdale.”

“Yeah, Mech and I… my father and I. My dad was hired as mechanic for the weather machines. But…” he sighed. “...not anymore. Not for a long time.”

“Why not?”

For the first time, I saw him smile. “Zian is right, you ask many questions.”

We went back on the road, Whirlwind taking charge on the ground this time with a gun and a map. This Time, the sky was dense with a very thick fog and despite Whirlwind and Grella’s best efforts they couldn’t clear it. “According to my map, we were just at the Road Reader Traveler's library here… so our next best bet on the way to Canterlot is going by this town here...”

“Wat’ town?” Cherry exclaimed, trotting over to walk by him upfront.

“This one here…”

I began to zone out and looked over at Zian. We had spent a good portion of the night just staring out the window until I fell asleep. I wasn’t sure when she did.

“I think we should check it out,” Zian said, “we might find some useful supplies. Maybe even more survivors!”

Grella paused. “I don’t know…”

Mech, who looked considerably less cheerful and tired, took a drink out of his canteen. “Surre’ let’s go into danger!”

Whirlwind sighed. “Well, what do you propose?”

He waited for Mech to respond with his trademark sarcasm, but he was staring up the road. A dark silhouette appeared in the fog. Cherry floated out a shotgun with little resistance, but Whirlwind stopped her. “Cherry, wait a minute.” He trotted towards the pony. “Hey! Excuse me!”

The shadowed pony slowly trotted towards us. Mech tensed.

“Are you lost?” Whirlwind asked, walking closer.

Suddenly, the pony pounced forward, as best as it could with one wing and three legs, and Mech pushed Whirlwind to the side and fought it back with a blunt weapon, one which I guessed was a tool. Scared,Cherry let out a shot.

It did hit the zombie… only after going through Mech’s side first.

Whirlwind stared, covered in Mech’s blood. “Dad…?”

“Ya’ll should run before… more…”

Mech convulsed on to the ground into a shaking mess, managing to shake off his saddle bag. Whirlwind grabbed it and flew off into the sky, returning later cleaned through probably some ancient Pegasus technique, then handed to bag to Grella and continued walking. “I saw a shit ton of zombies on the way. Their slow though. We should get going.”

We didn’t want to bother him any further the rest of the day, as Mech’s death finally actually started to sink in. The thoughts that Mech was actually dead.

No one said anything to one another, and Grella took over leading us into the next town. Whirlwind lagged behind.

No pony blamed him.