• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 956 Views, 70 Comments

Equestria; UNDEAD - runningtoastgirl77



One day, a mare came back from the bathroom to find herself with the dead bodies, or at least what is left of them, and from there our young heroine is thrown into the world of post- apocalyptia. Can Equestria ever go back to a place of harmony?

  • ...
9
 70
 956

Chapter Twenty Eight: A Short Story

Monday


Today I saw a changeling group at the Hallow's gates, a few drones who ran away from their hive, in search of a life in Equestria. I ate lunch with one in my mama's cafe today, we even had a deep conversation about marshmallows. His name is Mantis, and he even was traveling with a cute rejected queen - Foal? What is the term for a little changeling? Her name's Damselfly, and I had to admit she was the cutest shade of blue. I gave her some gems I found in the caves, and she was ecstatic. She was so cute when she's happy. I hope they both stay for a while.


Tuesday


Damsel came back to the cafe today with Mantis! She brought some of her cute things she collected from the hives, they were pretty like little dark blue crystals, and she explained that they were pieces of the castle for her part of the hives. This got me thinking, 'What do changeling castles look like?' I thought they might be something like a beehive, but the was damsel described her hive was beyond my imagination, like a magical kingdom with a full spectrum of colors! It amazed me, I thought there was just the Chrysalis hive, but apparently there are a whole bunch of hives!

She tried her best to explain it too me, but I couldn't get it. Mantis said he'll have to show me more sometime.


Saturday


It's been two days since I saw my family was murdered. I can barely believe what happened, it all happened to fast. I heard the screams of my parents, and only the blood staining our bedroom's floor as the ceiling caved in, crushing them and my older sister. Only I and my little sister survived of our family. We had been hiding under a turned over couch for hours, the severed eyes of my sister staring at me as they rolled under the couch. We almost screamed, had we not been so cared of reaching a similar fate.

I didn't want to write anymore, but my sister saved this stupid book, and insisted. So, I might as well use it. I guess she just wanted to see me stop crying, so... I guess I'll humor her for now. I figure I might as well keep writing, at least in front of her, to keep my mind off of things. I had practically just gotten this at the beginning of the week. Strange how witnessing a massacre can change your opinion on ponydom. That was supposed to be a joke, by the way. I guess it wasn't the best one.

I guess based on a writing prompt from Dawn, she wanted me to talk about our 'savior', where we are now. I might as well talk about the big thing that happened, the happiest moment of my despair. Out of the blood, fire, and fear, a search party found us. The hallows had been destroyed, but I didn't care. I had been in a state of near paralysis from shock for hours. The shining hope I was was greeted by was a pony I had only seen in books, news, and legends, a tall purple alicorn. She looked at us with a smile, her voice was haunting. "It's okay now."

Her words hit me. I was in shock, as several others joined her, including non other than several other legends. It was like a fairy tale come true, right after a nightmare. I couldn't hold back the tears, hugging Dawn as hard as I could without hurting her. She didn't care though, she was in fact thrilled, talking to the one and only Princess Twilight. It was a sight we were both glad to see. She's so young though that she probably can't even conceive what happened.

I wanted to go home, but I knew that was impossible. We went with the rest of the survivors, surprisingly a train car full, though it was sickening considering just how big our capital used to be. I could overhear some ponies on the way to Canterlot's med clinic that there was a small town near ponyville that we could go to, that were nice to bat ponies. I just hope that there are none of those changelings there.

I stared at the pages with tired eyes. I realized I started reading it in my head after the second entry, and Rose had fallen fast asleep. I closed the book, still exhausted, and got up and trotted to the door, making for positive that it was locked. I still wasn't comfortable in this place, and they sure as hell were not going to be sneaking in and smothering me in my sleep... that and I might have been just at little bit paranoid.

I wondered about the book, and the writer. I didn't even know remotely how old they were, or even if they were still alive. But in actuality, that was the least of my worries. What I was really worried about was why did they give this to me? I took the desk chair and blocked the door of, just encase, then went back to my bed, lying on my side , my newly cut short mane falling around my neck, giving off a slight tickling sensation. It was strange, I never had my mane this short since I was a foal. I liked it.

Before the temptation of slumber heaved itself upon me, I took the journal one more time, and flipped through it. At the back, I found two rough signatures; Moon Pie and Dawn Delight.