• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 957 Views, 70 Comments

Equestria; UNDEAD - runningtoastgirl77



One day, a mare came back from the bathroom to find herself with the dead bodies, or at least what is left of them, and from there our young heroine is thrown into the world of post- apocalyptia. Can Equestria ever go back to a place of harmony?

  • ...
9
 70
 957

Chapter Two: The Family

A small group of ponies entered through the door, along with something I suspected even less than a Zebra to see today; a griffon. All together, our little group made Seven.

“Sooooo your little roommate finally joins the land of the living!” Said an older Pegasus Stallion with a blue coat. “Praiiise Celestia!”

“Serry’ bout da gunshots, saw one o’ dem bastards stalkin’ us.” Said a very young unicorn, levitating a pony handgun. “Bit messy oud’ dere!”

“Did you find anything?” Zian said, closing and barricading the door, with the help of the griffon.

“An ol’ Libary to south,” The filly continued, putting her gun in the holster then sitting in a chair near the couch. “Alsa’ a’ general store to tha’ east.”

“We can start out in the morning, everypony.” Said a younger pegasus stallion than the other one, this one about my age or maybe a bit older. He was a light off- grey pony with a dark slate mane, an air of almost elegance about him. He grabbed a bowl of Zian’s stew and took a seat on the floor next to the filly’s chair. “And Zebra. And Griffon.”

Our last companion was a simple light teal mare, who silently joined the others near me.

“Everyone,” Zian said finally, sitting down next to me. “This is Autumn. She bakes.”

The old pegasus laughed, “Wellll no shite!”

Zian gave him a dirty look. “She is joining us. So we might as well let her get to know us.”

“I might as wel’ go fist.” The old pegasus laughed. “M’ name’s nit impotent. They call me Mech’! Cause I fix things!” He bowed. “Weeeel’ comb to our magical family, mi’lady!”

“I’m Cherry!” Said the filly simply.

The pegasus stallion sighed. “My name is Whirl Wind. Though you don’t need to call me that.”

The other earth pony glanced away and mumbled something.

The griffon, who I only now at that time deciphered as a female, half snow leopard and half hawk, spoke up in her steed. “Mornin’ Glory here is a little shy. My name’s Grella.” She help out a fisted claw, and waited for me to hoof… claw bump or something. After I caught on I obliged. “So, what’s your story?”

“Story?”

“Where your from? Why your here?”

I blushed. “Well… I… I-I’m a baker… I make muffins.”

“That’s it?” Cherry looked disappointed. Grella scolded her.

Whirl Wind sighed and took a bite of Zian’s soup, looking at me as the others got their food. “Did you eat already?”

“N-no…” I glanced to the floor. “I’m not really hungry.” My stomach begged my differ, growling- no, roaring throughout the room.

Zian smirked. “At least try to eat some, hum?” She plopped a warm bowl on the side table.

I sighed, and tried to start eating. However, soon after I tasted Zian’s cooking I shoved my face into the bowl, eating the potatoes in chaotic pleasure. Once the bowl was licked clean, I looked up and I got a massive rush of deja vu.

Everypony was staring at me.

Zian smiled, and couldn’t hold back a giggle. “I didn’t think my food was that good.” She took a cloth rag in her hoof and wiped my face off.

I blushed. “I can clean myself, you know.”

“Yeah, but your too cute messy. Hee, I couldn’t resist!” Zian laughed.

“Don’t take her teasings to heart,” Grella sighed, “Zee Zee here flirts with everyone, Autumn.”

Flirts? I could only imagine the face I made, like a cross between embarrassment, infatuation, and constipation. My face probably morphed from a peachy cream to a bright cranapple fluster. “D-don’t tease me…”

Zian let out a giggle under her breath. “Alright, Autumn darling.”

What a coincidence that my full name was Autumn Darling. I had learned that Zian wasn’t scared to make me squirm.

“S-so…” I said, desperately changing the subject. “What happened when I was out?”
They all glanced to each other. “Welp…” Mech said, “Missy, the world’s gone to shit.”

“It actually started a while before I ran into you two days ago, or at least it hit us.” Zian said, “They were crawling all over Everfree. I grabbed what I could, fighting off the afflicted with my spear.” She tilted her muzzle to a rough yet lovely metal and wood collapsible spear. “I was alone at my house, so I didn’t see to many casualties. I was making my way to the next village over, but it was… empty. That was until I saw you, Autumn. I ran over to see if you knew what was going on, when you passed out and attracted a zombie. I didn’t want a death on my hooves, so, I threw my spear at it. I was carrying you on my back when I met Whirlwind and Mech, and so we walked together until we met Grella and Morning Glory in this old farm house they were refuging in. So we stayed here for the night.”

Morning Glory nodded and looked to Grella, who continued. “Glory and I met just on the outskirts of Everfree and we managed to fight the things off until we got here. When we saw you guys runnin’ up… well, a good griffon doesn’t leave ponies for dead. Well, not this one at least.”

Cherry jumped up on Grella’s back. “Den I come in, right?”

“Yeah then Zian and Morning Glory found Cherry and brought her back here,” Grella smirked, patting the unicorn on the head.

“Tomorrow, I say we get going to Canterlot,” Whirlwind said. He had been so quiet I forgot he was there. “Speaking of which we should stop with story time.” He set his bowl aside. “Grella, think you can help carry supplies?”

The griffon glared, “Think I can’t?”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he presented an assortment of saddlebags. “Found them upstairs.”

“I already have all I need.” Zian said, cleaning off the pot she cooked with and packing it.

“I also think we should put on some extra protection,” he paused as Zian snickered, “I found some clothes in the closet. Grella, though…”

“I’ll be fine.” She insisted.

“Everyone else, take your pick.” He presented an assortment of shirts, jackets, ect.

I then noticed that Whirlwind was already clad in a grey plaid over shirt and a black undershirt, holes haphazardly cut out for his wings. And while I was observing his shoes I looked back to the pile to find that all that was left was an indigo hooded sweatshirt with a brown saddlebag.

I felt a little disappointed, though I accepted it. Whirlwind stretched out and yawned. “I’ll handle medical supplies. Mech, you can help with repair supplies, Glory can hold extra necessities, Zian you can carry extra food, weapons, whatever. And Grella, you can carry the heavy stuff, blankets, weapons, matches, and other survival things.”

“What about me?” I said.

He looked me over. “Whatever you want, I guess. Just nothing to heavy.”

I sighed and threw on my jacket, then took my saddlebag and explored the house away from everypony. “Two days, huh?” I whispered to myself as I walked upstairs. I eventually came upon a bedroom with a large window, it’s light green shutters ajar though probably just decorative. There was a thick layer of glass that in a cinch could be lifted up. I moved past a thin curtain letting in rays of moonlight across the floors. I looked outside.

Outside of the farmhouse was a small fence bordering a few rows of vegetables, along with a barn with vibrant red paint. Just outside of the fence was a stone and dirt trail. And in the road was…

...was…

“Autumn,” I was spooked by the sudden appearance of Zian behind me.

“Zian!” I jumped.

She joined me at the window, “Disgusting, isn’t it? Poor creatures.”

I stared at the two zombies ripping apart the headless carcass of the zombie Cherry had shot earlier. “What are they doing?”

“Harvesting,” Zian glared out the window, “the meat.”

The creatures then scattered off, carrying pieces away in their mouths or various over appendages. “Can they get in here?” I whimpered.

“Not right now. Those zombies aren’t strong enough; they're too old. To rotten,” Zian sighed, “a fresher zombie, however… that I might have an issue with. But those? No, they’re no danger.”

“Won’t they be attracted to us?”

“Not now. None of us are too injured,and we’re a safe enough distance. I’ll have Cherry or Grella snipe out any if we see anything that could be a current threat.” She smiled, “you’ve had a rough night. You could use some rest.”

“I don’t think I’d be able to rest after that.”

“We all need to move on or we’ll perish,” Zian smiled kindly, “you should at least try to get some rest. Maybe it would be better if you take the bed?”

“I don’t know…” I blushed.

She set down her magic lit lantern on the bedstand. “Would it help if I had Cherry, Morning Glory, and Grella sleep in here too?”

“I don’t know…”

“The pony doesn’t know a lot of things, does she?” She teased. “Come on, we both could use some rest.”

“Zian, I… have a question first.”

“Oh? Do tell.”

“Why… why are we going to Canterlot?”

She frowned. “For a solution. We’ll have to look at the spell archives in Canterlot, but...I think we might be able to find a spell in Canterlot to cure this, maybe even a combination of spells if we need to.”

“Cure? The entire world?”

“Yes.”

“That would need one powerful unicorn.”

She frowned. “Yes.” She smiled at me. “The point is though that it’s not impossible; the spell MUST exist somewhere.”

“How do you know?”

“Well, if a spell started this, a spell must be able to undo this, right?” She was quiet, then patted my back. “Let’s not worry about it now. We should get some sleep.”