• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 956 Views, 70 Comments

Equestria; UNDEAD - runningtoastgirl77



One day, a mare came back from the bathroom to find herself with the dead bodies, or at least what is left of them, and from there our young heroine is thrown into the world of post- apocalyptia. Can Equestria ever go back to a place of harmony?

  • ...
9
 70
 956

Chapter Four: The Library

The hours droned by on my nerves as we walked. You know how when you want time to pass faster, so time decides to drag itself along until you feel like every minute is a leap year? That sums up my first day on the road.

Eventually my sullen melancholy dispersed, and the group stopped. Not putting my head up, I was prepared (or more like paranoid) for another undead rendezvous with death. But, to my relief, we were merely at our destination.

Morning had dissolved into the hot afternoon. “What’s so important about this library?” I asked.

Zian smiled, “Hope?”

We went inside of the small library building. To be honest, it already looked ransacked of anything I would assume to be essentials, but to great luck there was no trace of blood. I decided to take the opportunity and take a breather while Zian and the others searched the building.

“Tired’ al’ready?”

I glanced over and smiled at Mech, “Yeah a little.”

He took a seat on the floor, the scruffy old pony taking a drink of ‘water’. “Me too. Daum tired.” He sighed. “Whirly’ is so tough on an old pony, makin’ me fly all day.”

Putting his newly found grammar improvement aside, I remained silent.

“Whirly’ allllways want’n to take charge. Be the bigger pony,” for once, Mech wasn’t smiling. “I just hope he doesn’t lose himself.”

“Did you… know him before?”

Mech laughed. “Weeel I oughta’!I did help raise da’ young’n!”

I started pulling things together in my mind. Honestly, I hadn’t considered my two blue pegasus companions could have had a prior history, much less expected a relation.

“Why don’t ya’ go help the others an’ leave an ol’ horse to sulk?” Mech said. I got the message.

I trotted over to Zian. “Find anything?”

She groaned. “No.”

“What are you looking for?”

“A spell book.”

“That’s it?”

She glared. “‘That’s it?’ That’s everything, just saving Equestria and the rest of the world here, no pressure or anything!”

I was surprised. “Do you… want some tea?”

She sniffed with an apologetic look. “Yes please.”

Later, we decided to camp out at the library. I found some books on what was left of the metal bookshelves and decided to take a breather and revel in sweeet solitude.

After deducing my way through a shockingly twistful Sherclop Pones novella from olden Equestria, I went to retrieve another book when I noticed Zian sitting alone in the upper level. I looked around and noticed that everypony had fallen asleep with the exception of Grella who had taken full attention as watch at the door’s window, as observant as ever.

I walked upstairs. “Zian?”

She turned around to me, and never before had I seen a more hopeless expression from her. She shaked, faking a smile, her teal eyes ringed with red and crusted tears, holding back on crying in front of me. “ O-oh… Autumn. H-hi…”

“Zian…” I frowned, “...are you okay?”

“W-who? Me not okay?” She frowned. “But if… you're a little sad… I could give you a hug I guess.”

I smiled. “Zian…”

We sat by the large upstairs window for what seemed like hours, Zian just sobbing on my shoulder hugging me. I suppose the stress of expecting to save the country would get to any pony, right?

Eventually, she just stared at the night sky. “Autumn,” Zian frowned,“Will… will the world ever be the same again?”

I looked up at the moon and felt the translucent shimmering light embrace my face. “Yes.”

“But… how do you know?”

I smiled. “I have a feeling?”

That was enough for her, if not at least for a glimmer of hope.