• Published 12th Mar 2016
  • 14,703 Views, 1,834 Comments

Ponyville's Tiny Librarian - CommanderX5



Twilight has been a tiny, hard-working student for many years, willingly deciding to stay bite size after discovering a love for the adventures and challenges that came with it. Now it is time to start a new chapter of her life in Ponyville.

  • ...
32
 1,834
 14,703

PreviousChapters Next
Ch8 - Luna's Fun - Part 4

Ponyville’s Tiny Librarian

-

Chapter 8

Luna's Fun
-
Part 4


Spike stomped on the platform. “Protect us? Oh come on!” He growled, his fists tightening as he leveled a stern look at the tiny ponies. “Twilight, do you have any idea how embarrassing it is when two miniscule ponies are the ones protecting you from a giant monster? Especially considering I swore to protect you.” He crossed his arms in annoyance and looked away from them.

White Path nodded. “What Spike said. You should have more faith in your sidekick and let him help you.”

Twilight and Luna turned away and fired off small beams of magic towards the beast.

The yeti swatted at Luna as if she were a fly, though his hand missed entirely, and tiny thunderbolts peppered him in response.

Twilight jumped backward reflexively, barely avoiding being stepped on by a leg far wider than her mentor’s. She gulped as the ground jumped beneath her hooves, testament to the sheer weight of her foe.

The yeti decided to ignore the tiny ponies and took a step towards the normal-sized one, only for Luna to block his path and envelop his head completely in a veil of dark magic, blinding him.

Her smug grin didn’t last long. A wild arm from the yeti took her by surprise, and she was thrown crashing into the wall, bouncing off onto the platform and sinking into the snow.

“Princess!” Twilight shouted as she ran towards the alicorn. “Are you alright?”

Luna shook out her mane and massaged her neck. “We art fine. Regretfully, not using the protection spell—” Her eyes widened and she pointed at the yeti towering over them, a leg raised. “Behind thee!” she shouted, sending her magic against the giant foot of the monster before it could land on the tiny mare.

Twilight quickly turned around in confusion, only to lose her balance on the slick ground. Her heartbeat thundered in her ears as she stared up at the humongous foot only inches away, the blue aura rippling as it kept the yeti at bay. After a moment of recovering from the shock, she lit her horn and yanked at the yeti’s other leg, causing him to tumble over.

Luna wiped the sweat from her head and stood up, a short trot bringing her abreast to Twilight as they both glared at the prone yeti.

It didn’t stay down for long, and the two ponies flinched as a giant arm swept up a large boulder and tossed it at them. They focused all of their magic on stopping the flying rock, failing to notice the two big hands reaching for them under it.

A burst of green flames intercepted both hands, and the yeti quickly withdrew them in surprise. “Serves you right, you big jerk! No one hurts Twilight when I’m around,” Spike snarled, taking another breath and breathing out more flames.

“Spike!” Twilight shouted as the yeti turned to the new threat, his foul visage scrunched in determination as he pushed past the flames and reached for the dragon. Before she could even charge her horn, White Path levitated Spike out of reach, dropping a hoofful of snowballs right on the yeti's face.

Enraged, the monster struck the stone platform, causing everyone standing on it to lose their balance. Before either Spike or White Path could stand, the yeti grabbed them and started to squeeze.


“Leave them alone!” Twilight raged, all the magic she could muster focused on the hands hurting her friends. Spike has scales and can endure it much longer. I should free White Path first, Twilight thought as she struggled against the beast’s heavy muscles, each of its fists nearly the size of White Path himself.

Noticing Twilight’s efforts, Luna brought her magic to bear, and together they slowly overpowered the yeti’s hand.

White Path gritted his teeth as he struggled. Once the hands loosened enough for him to catch his breath, he quickly put all of his strength to aid his tiny friends, his own horn charging as he shoveled more snow right into the yeti’s face.

With the monster's eyes covered in snow, White Path pried himself out of the yeti’s grip and ran up his arm, striking at his captor’s face with his hind legs. The yeti let out a howl, dropping Spike and swatting at the pony with both of his hands.

Just as planned. White Path jumped from the beast’s shoulder onto the platform just before the hands struck and murmured, “Stop hitting yourself.” He grinned in satisfaction.

The yeti’s face turned red with rage, letting out a snarl. “Grrrrrraaaaawwwwwwwrrrrrr!!!”

A moment later, Twilight and Luna felt the stone tremble beneath their tiny hooves.

“Earthquake?” Luna asked, raising an eyebrow as she looked at Twilight, who simply shook her head and pointed up.

“What are you talking about? I don’t feel anyt—” Spike paused when he began to notice the rumbling. “Ahh. I stand corrected.”

Twilight turned to the princess in panic before screaming, “Avalanche!”


Luna stared at a humongous wave of snow advancing down towards them, wondering if it just seemed so big because of her reduced size, or if it really was the biggest avalanche she had ever seen in her very long life. Her attention shifted towards the yeti when he ran back into his cave, now watching them as if hoping that they would run into his hands in search of shelter.

“Princess, we have to protect Spike and White Path!” Twilight said resolutely, Luna responding with a sharp nod.

“Again? Come on!” Spike harrumphed as Twilight and Luna’s horns created a magical dome around them.

“Can I help?” White Path asked, a blush present on his cheeks. “I mean, I’m like… fifty times heavier than either of you. I may not be powerful or talented, but I want to help.”

“Thou canst send thine magic into the barrier,” Luna said.

“How?”

“Just use thine levitation to hold the barriers together, it will help!” Luna shouted before gritting her teeth, pumping more power into her dome. Twilight created her own barrier under Luna’s as a secondary line of defense.


“What’s that sound?” Steel Blade asked as the low rumbling became louder and louder, the stone wall trembling under his hooves.

One of Overwatch’s ears swiveled to face up the slope, and she turned with it. “Huh,” she said, staring blankly at the advancing wave of snow. “It’s an avalanche.”

“Avalanche?” Steel squawked, before lifting up his partner and flying off. “Twilight and the others were up there! We gotta go help!”

“Not while it’s still going,” Overwatch said, wrapping her hooves around Steel Blade. The torrent of snow flowing below them like a roaring river. “There was a cavern down there anyways. I’m sure they’re safe.”

“Cavern? I didn’t see a cavern.”

“It was hidden behind an illusion,” Overwatch responded as she tried to shake off the snow on her helmet. “They’re safe. Call it a gut feeling.”

“So they’re hiding out in a cave in the middle of the mountains and you didn’t tell me? What if there was something dangerous in there?” Steel asked, his voice rising with his panic.

“So we could do what? Bother them while they’re exploring? You know how Twilight gets when we try to help her out.”

Steel Blade tightened his grip. “Yeah, and now she’s buried under tons of snow!”

“P-Princess Luna is there to keep an eye on them,” Overwatch said, her breath slowly being squeezed out of her. “I’m sure she’ll unshrink herself if need be. Now breathe, and please loosen up a bit.”

Steel Blade took a deep breath, untensing just a bit as the avalanche continued to roar by. Before long, a sound caught his ear, and he startled. “Wait a moment, didn’t we forget about somepony?”

Overwatch blinked. “Ponyfeathers, we forgot Fleur!” She suddenly turned downwards, and she quickly pointed out Fleur being pulled along the current of snow, who seemed to have lost her coat, her white fur blending perfectly with the snow. “Get us closer, now!”

The noble was swept along, crashing into multiple objects along the way as Steel Blade tried to catch up. Overwatch drew magic into her horn, waiting to get close enough to pull Fleur out of the snow.

The noble vanished just before they could arrive, but the avalanche was winding down. What was left of the snow drifted off to reveal a battered unicorn clinging to a post in a death grip, her saddlebags gripped tightly between her teeth.

She spat out the cloth, pushed herself up out of the snow, and rolled her shoulders with a grimace. Her always elegant fur was covered in bruises and scratches.

“Did she just… survive an entire avalanche?” Steel Blade asked, his mouth slightly agape.

Scowling, Fleur jiggled some of the snow on her bags onto the platform before shaking the snow from herself violently.

“You first,” Overwatch said as they touched down, sinking into the snow.

“A-are you alright?” Steel Blade asked with a strained smile, keeping a respectful distance from the battered pony.

Fleur turned her gaze to them, her eyes narrowing. “We will speak of this later,” Fleur said sternly as she put her saddlebags back on. “For now, we are going after my son, and you are going to help.” Her tone brokered no argument.

The two guards nodded hastily. Steel Blade lifted up Overwatch again, and the unicorn guard levitated Fleur up as the group made their way down the mountain.


Spitfire’s well-trained eyes noticed the threat even before she felt the trembling. “Avalanche!” she shouted before spreading her wings and flying away, pulling Fancy Pants up by the rope tied around his belly.

Soarin followed her lead and pulled Blueblood away, the confused prince wondering just when his life became so complicated.


“Cadence!” Shining Armor shouted, waking up the alicorn sleeping in his scarf.

She popped her head out, blinking sleepily. “What is it, Shiny?”

“The mountain where Twiny and our friends have been climbing…”

“What about it?”

“There’s been an avalanche!”

Cadence jolted into wakefulness, climbing up Shining Armor’s neck. Standing on top of his horn, she focused on the mountain, tracking the huge wave of snow falling down it.

“Twilight!” she shouted as a blue aura bloomed into life around her horn.

“We have to help them!” Shining Armor declared before he started to feel the tiny alicorn standing on his horn becoming heavier and heavier. “Cadence, what are you...”

He swiftly found himself muzzle-first into the snow, his very special somepony’s hooves on the back of his head.

Cadence looked down at him and frowned. “This is no time to make snow angels, Shiny, our friends needs us!” she shouted, spreading her wings.

Before Shining Armor could get his head out from under the snow, Cadence’s hooves wrapped around his middle, and a moment later he was being hauled up into the air, but not without first creating a furrow in the snow with his face.


The rumbling cacophony passed, and both Twilight and Luna released their magic and collapsed, the leftovers of Luna’s dome crumbling into pieces. The snow around them was deep, but not enough to cover their barrier, leaving a decently sized hole to rest in.

“It seems we’re safe,” Spike said, wiping his forehead in relief before melting the snow with his flames.

The roar of the yeti in the background made them jump, followed by the sound of trundling footsteps through the thick snow. “Not for long,” White Path said.

Twilight’s hooves trembled as she stood back up, Luna following shortly after. “What now? I’m not sure how long we can last,” Twilight said.

She felt a poke on her shoulder and turned to look up at Spike. “Twilight, I have a question,” he said.

Twilight frowned at her assistant. “Spike, we have no time for this. A yeti is about to—”

“Why haven’t you or Luna dispelled the shrinking spell and thrown that yeti to the other side of Equestria yet?” Spike asked, crossing his arms with a frown.

Twilight and Luna turned to each other with a blank expressions before each bringing a hoof to their face.

“I can’t believe I’ve been so stupid,” Luna groaned. She shook her head and cleared her throat. “We mean, after we shrank and began to enjoy ourselves, we forgot we were not in our original size. Tis never been a concern in the past, and twas not the first time we had fought against such a foe who had so outscaled us.” She glanced over to Spike and added, “No wonder thy caretaker forgot to do the same when she faced a manticore.”

Spike let out an exasperated huff. “It’s fine, but we should really get it done sometime soon.”

“Agreed,” Luna and Twilight said in unison as they lit their horns, ready to remove the effect of the shrinking spell as the yeti advanced.

An angry shout echoed from above them, and they dropped the spell in surprise, looking up to see a white blur sail over them, followed by a loud howl from the yeti. The two tiny ponies looked at each other in surprise, before summoning their magic to shove out the snow around them to give them a better view.

“Mom?” White Path said in surprise when he saw Fleur trotting towards them, cuts and bruises across her body. “What happened to you?”

“Trying circumstances,” she said simply as Steel Blade and Overwatch touched down beside them. “Remind me to replace my coat after this is all done.”

The yeti growled again, drawing Fleur’s attention back at him, the flames of anger in her eyes.

“And you’re the reason why! You’re not going to lay your dirty mitts on my son! En garde!” With a flash of magic, Fleur withdrew a long, thin package from her saddlebags, tossing the box away to reveal a shiny rapier. She drew the blade, dropping the sheath onto the snow and charging at the yeti with a shout.

Steel Blade blinked. “That’s a sight,” he said. Fleur jumped to her left, gracefully avoiding the yeti’s giant fist. “We should probably go help.”

“I think she’s fine,“ Overwatch answered, narrowing her eyes at the yeti and charging her horn. “We’ll be done soon anyways.”

Fleur’s rapier struck at the beast’s legs, causing him to move backwards. The yeti tried to slam Fleur with both hands, but the agile mare took a quick backstep before jumping up onto them. The yeti tried to back off, but Fleur was already atop him, bringing the flat of her blade across the side of his head with a snap.

Overwatch fired off her shot, using the yeti’s distraction to snare a bola around his legs. The beast tumbled forward into the snow, but he could only roll onto his back before he found a blade pointed at his neck.

The guard mare threw a smirk at Steel Blade, who rolled his eyes and huffed. “Unicorns.”

The monster froze under Fleur glare, her various injuries only serving to make her more intimidating. “Now, are we done? Are you going to turn around, go back into your cave, and think about your life decisions?” Fleur hissed. “Choose wisely before my next coat comes with exotic yeti fur.”

The yeti nodded carefully around the sharp weapon leveled at his neck. Fleur glared at him a while more before hopping off. The magic bola dissipated shortly after, and he sat up slowly only to find another pony trotting up to him.

“Sorry, I don’t trust you quite yet.” Overwatch turned back towards the group. “We’ll be back shortly. Come on, Steelie,” she said before escorting the yeti back to the cave, the pegasus guard keeping in close proximity from the air.

Fleur trotted towards her son, levitating out a small handkerchief from her saddlebags to wipe the sweat from White Path’s face. “Aww, sweetie, did that overgrown bear-thing hurt you?” she cooed.

Mom, stop embarrassing me in front of the super pony and the princess, please,” White Path said, a blush on his face as he swat at the floating cloth. Fleur quickly looked down to find the two tiny ponies, and she lowered herself to their level.

“Lady Twilight, Princess Luna, are you both alright?”

“We’re fine, just a little exhausted,” Twilight replied cheerfully.

“We art stunned by thy bravery, Fleur de Lis, jumping in without hesitation to defend thy child,” Luna said, beaming. “Thou hast truly made thy noble house proud.”

Fleur dipped her head in a bow. “I’m honored, Princess.”

“Damn. Seems we missed all the action,” Spitfire said as she landed on the stone platform, Fancy Pants hanging onto the rope before he finally descended and embraced his wife.

“My word, my dear Fleur, you’ve certainly seen better days,” Fancy Pants said as he levitated some of his clothing onto Fleur’s battered and cold body. Just moments later, Soarin' and Blueblood touched down next to him.

“Is everypony okay?!” Cadence shouted worriedly as she landed, dropping a white stallion into a heap before plowing through a couple meters of snow. She turned quickly towards them, shaking off the extra layer of frost she had accumulated. “When I saw the avalanche, I got so worried.”

She finally paused, looking at the ponies in front of her. Twilight and Luna sat next to her hooves, exhaustion apparent on their tiny faces. Fleur was busy stretching, showing a few of her injuries even under the clothes that Fancy Pants put on her. Soarin' and Spitfire were tied to Blueblood and Fancy Pants with rope. White Path even had a few bruises, wrapping around his barrel.

Cadence blinked. “What in Celestia’s name happened here?”

“Oh, you should have seen it! We—” White Path halted under the combined looks from his parents, and withdrew, crossing his forelegs.

Fancy Pants brought a hoof up to his muzzle and cleared his throat. “I feel that we’ve had enough adventures for one day. Anypony fancy a quick trip back to the airship to warm up with some cocoa?” he said, to very quick general agreement.

Twilight frowned, looking across to Luna. “Go back now? We didn’t reach the top yet.”

Luna stared back in disbelief, her mouth slightly agape. “Thou aren’t serious, art thou?”

Twilight nodded and said hesitantly, “I-I am, Princess. Is there something wrong?”

Luna turned toward the guards, who had just made it back. “Is she always like this?” Receiving nothing but nods from Overwatch, Steel Blade, and Spike, she turned back to Twilight, as if reevaluating her.

She spoke simply. “We wouldst say the ponies of this age art truly of epic proportions, but we feel that wouldst convey the wrong message.”

Author's Note:

Wonderful news everyone. After years of silence, my top editor Kydois returned with time on his hand to add his high-quality edits. With him back on board, I can once again continue this story.

I don't know how often we can update and how many chapters we can make, but I hope that you'll all enjoy the return of this story from the grave.

Cheers.

PreviousChapters Next