• Published 11th Feb 2016
  • 1,134 Views, 54 Comments

Friends and Fairy Tales - CrackedInkWell



What if seven characters from different fairy tales that not only are they confused in how they got to Equestria, but how the have memories of other ponies they didn't remember having?

  • ...
4
 54
 1,134

(Newly Arrived Books for Royalty)

“I really hope that those Zebras will give me a break tomorrow,” Prince Blueblood commented, rubbing his temples. “I swear that if they call me up tomorrow to have a debate with me over trading camping supplies in rhyme again, I’m going to scream.”

“So I take it that you had a bad day,” Luna inquired as she ate through her breakfast.

“Don’t get me wrong Auntie Luna; I don’t mind doing all the negotiations from time to time,” the white unicorn illuminated his horn to pick up his wineglass. “But these ambassadors are very tricky to talk with, and that’s saying something! I don’t see the point why they want me to speak to them in rhymes as well, I mean, the last one didn’t mind of me speaking like this.”

“So were you able to get through with them?” Celestia asked, picking up a forkful of red velvet.

“Barely, I was lucky that they understood that Equestria wants to open up tourism in their country, to see the savanna and such –although, I’m still embarrassed that I was rather slow at rhyming on the spot. It makes me wish that I was a little more prepared.”

“I think you’ll eventually get the hang of it nephew,” the Sun Princess replied, “that the act of spontaneous rhyming will come to you.”

Blueblood narrowed his eyes and bitterly took a sip.

“Pardon me, Your Majesties,” the three royals looked up to find a Solar Guard entering into their private dining room. “The packages from Princess Twilight’s library have just arrived.”

“Good,” the prince stood up from the table, “Unless either of you have any other concerns, I would like to retire to bed early. Perhaps a good bath and some sleep might do me good to prepare better.”

Luna looked over at the window, “But evening is a couple hours away.”

“I just want to relax. Now, if neither of you mind, thank you for the meal, and good night,” Blueblood bowed before he left, taking his class of wine with him.

“Lu,” Celestia started up a new conversation, “Don’t you think that we’re overbearing him with these responsibilities?”

The Moon Princess shrugged, “We know how valuable he is with his negotiation skills, and he doesn’t seem to mind. However, perhaps he deserves to be given a break from politics for a while. The Zebras that I’ve met are wise but some of them could be stubborn at the worst of times.”

“I know, I may not show it, but I can emphasize with him a little.”

Luna raised an eyebrow, “How so?”

“Well, a bit of variety from the mundane politics is good for one’s wellbeing. After all, you have more of a life then I have during the nightly hours.”

“That’s because I know how to have fun Celestia,” she smirked.

“You know; I wouldn’t mind that every so often, just now and then, mind you – that for a day, I would have a different occupation. For example, painting a picture, or learning how to cook this dish, or taking care of some sick animals; something like that to break the day-to-day task of signing my name on petitions.”

“Sounds like to me that we’re in need of a… what do you call them? Vacation? Holiday?”

“Not really, just a day off is enough. Now I have some things that I need to do before I head off to bed.” Celestia rose from the table, “I’ll see you tomorrow morning Lu.”

“Enjoy your slumber, sister.”

_*_

After a two hour long soak of the purest spring water, expensive soaps, shampoos, and perfumes, his mane, tail and coat painstakingly removed of any greasy dirt, Prince Blueblood emerged from his bathroom in his dark blue evening robe with a precession of servants following behind.

“Will that be everything, Your Grace?” his butler inquired him.

“At the moment, it is Mr. Brass. I’ll be taking a look through the books Twilight had sent me before I head off to sleep.”

“Very good,” he nodded, him along with the staff bowed before they exited the prince’s room to close the double doors behind them.

The unicorn, now left alone, turned his attention to the desk at the pile of books neatly set out. Trotting over, he illuminated his horn to pick up and examine the books. “History of Zebraca Vol. 6… The Rhyming Thesaurus… Voyage to the New World… Pride and Prejudice…” Blueblood looked at the next book, and blushed at the title. Sliding the book underneath his bed, and underneath a loose floorboard, he muttered: “A bit of me time…” he looked at the other titles, “Fall of the Maneigha Empire… Philosophies of the Crystal Empire…” Then he came to a book that puzzled him. “What’s this?”

Putting the other books down, he placed the book in his hooves. Unlike the other books, this one didn’t look very old, not even a hardback. If anything, this little book had a blue cover, with dull yellow lines that formed pictures of oddly shaped creatures. A family on the left and a taller one on the right in a dress and holding onto a carpetbag with a flowery hat, above them in the crudely shaped stars, was the title: “Mary Poppins. P. L. Travers.”

“Did that princess get this mixed up?” Blueblood asked himself as he flipped the book over before opening it. Among the text and conversations, there were hoof-drawn pictures of the weird creatures from the cover. “Is this a foal’s boo- OW!” Blueblood immediately dropped the book as he felt a sharp pain in his right hoof.

“Oh perfect,” he grumbled, finding that his pristine white hoof had a red line on it, “Stupid paper-cut.” The prince went over to the rope that hung by his bedside to ring it, noticing that as the closer he got to it, the more lightheaded and dizzy he became. But he was able to ring it, summoning his butler up.

A moment later, the summoned stallion opened the door, “What can I do for you, Your…” but he trailed off as he watched his employer suddenly fainted. “My Prince! Prince Blueblood,” he rushed over, checking his vital signs. While relieved that he was still alive, he called out for help.

While this was going on, the white unicorn as soon as he hit the floor, suddenly found himself dreaming. He dreamed that he was being blown by the East Wind to a red brick home, known as number seventeen, Cheery-Tree Lane.