• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 11,966 Views, 481 Comments

Ponyville Days - Cirrus Sky

  • ...
36
 481
 11,966

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16: Chatting

The time to catch a tram to their local stop was getting closer and Twilight had decided to take them through the old quarter to meet a tram. The shopping precinct which led to the station was accessed through a wrought iron gate which an eager Twilight virtually dragged Rainbow through. The quite area over hustle and bustle of the city itself and the decorative lights gave the place an almost mystical air. They visited a skate shop and a book store when an idea struck Rainbow.

“We better get some kind of gift for your family.” Rainbow said, watching Twilights eyes alighting on the many store fronts in the old quarter.

“What to get them though?” Twilight mused aloud. While the bookshop once again called her name she knew full well that it was pointless, the house was bursting at the seams with the written word. Clothes wouldn’t be much help and while her mother and Celestia would appreciate jewellery, Shining, Cadence and her father only really liked it as a special occasion gift. Finally a tantalising scent caught her attention. “Rainbow, I have the perfect place!” She pulled Rainbow towards a shop that resembled a slightly upmarket Pinkie Pie. As if she and Rarity had become one person and created a store.

The smart brownstone building, with subdued but attractive store trimming was painted a deep chocolaty brown; the window display was of varied and attractive candies in amongst chic vintage items and clever lighting. “Dolciume” the sign read. A discreet sign near the door proclaimed “Dolciume: handmade candies, luxury chocolate, gourmet treats and global candies.”

“This is perfect!” Twilight smiled, pulling Rainbow again to drag her away from the window display. “We should tell the girls about this place, maybe pick them up some treats.”

“Yeah… I think I need something right now, my sugar levels seemed to have suddenly dropped.” Rainbow pretended to go faint. “Maybe a bag of those hard candies will help.” She entered behind Twilight and was hit by the scent of a thousand treats. “Wow…”

“Yeah. I thought Sugarcube Corner smelled sweet…” Twilight began looking at the varied displays of artisan candy.

A young woman at the desk looked up at the new arrivals, her hair was a pale green with three stripes over her left ear that looked a lot like the candies she sold. “Good afternoon and welcome to Dolciume, I am Comfit and I’m happy to help.”

“Wonderful! I need to get something as a gift for family members. Mom and dad like hard candies my brother and sister in law like variety and my…aunt, likes Turkish Delight.” Twilight smiled and walked over to the cash desk. While she began discussing her order Rainbow wandered off to look at the many jars filled with colourful treats.

She read the tag underneath each jar and found a shelf of bright candies. “Lightening Seeds? Awesome…”

“Rainbow, I’m nearly done here. Do you want anything?” Twilight was still stood at the desk as Comfit placed wrapped parcels and bags into a larger decorative bag.

“Oh yeah! Can I have some of these two?” Rainbow walked over carrying the bright blue and yellow Lightening Seeds and a second jar full of multicoloured pips labelled as Rainbooms.

“You think you can handle the sour and spice?” Comfit asked taking the two jars. “These are radioactive, candies turned up to eleven.”

“I can take a little extreme flavouring!” Rainbow grinned as the shopkeeper weighed out the candies and poured them into bags. She handed them to Rainbow and took the payment.

“Have a nice day ladies. I hope that your family likes the treats and call again!” Comfit smiled as they left.

“That was a nice store; we will have to grab stuff for the girls.” Rainbow walked beside Twilight swinging her arms. “So we getting the tram yet?”

“Oh, we better had go and catch one now. Cadence will be waiting at the station soon.” Twilight lead the way to the station, laughing at Rainbow’s yelps of surprise over the taste of the candy.

*

“Tho, tell me moar abouth your family.” Rainbow glared at her giggling girlfriend. “The candieth were tharper than I thought they would be.”

“I know Rainbow, it’s just very funny! Most people would eat one at a time not four.” She stopped laughing at Rainbow’s speech and cleared her throat, corralling a few stray snorts and chuckles back. “You want to know more about my family? You have met them before you know.”

“Not properly though.” Rainbow took a swig from a sports bottle she found in her bag. “That’s better. No, see we saw them at the wedding briefly. I think everyone was so shocked about that fake that I can’t figure out what they are all really like.”

“That’s true.” Twilight shuddered a little, recalling the night spent in City Hall’s subbasements with Cadence, they had only just managed to crash the wedding and reveal the interloper. Everyone had been surprised to find she was the same woman who had impersonated Luna. “Ok, mom and dad are researchers, more like experts in their field these days. They work as advisors to Celestia. Mom is an Anthropologist, she has a doctorate. Dad is a leading mind in Sociology, he’s a doctor too and lectures at the university sometimes.”

“Wow, smart parents Twi’. No wonder you’re a super egghead.”

“Indeed. I’m taking a double doctorate, they were both so fascinating according to mom and dad that I couldn’t choose.” She gave a moue of false sadness when Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Anyway… Shining is in the Secret Service assigned to Celestia. He’s gotten pretty high up in the place and we all think he’ll get a lot further.”

“Yeah, you said before the wedding about that, and Cadence said she’s a psychologist. That’s pretty neat for her.” Rainbow shuffled a little closer to Twilight. “So…um, this isn’t something I’d ask at home or anything but it’s always bugged me and the other girls.” She paused. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” She looked as sincere as possible. “We can’t figure out the deal with Spike.”

“Oh.” Twilight’s face passed through pensive to thoughtful, “You do know he’s fostered right? Technically by me.”

“Yeah, we figured that much from something he said to Applebloom. AJ was the one who kinda stamped on us asking you anything more…”

“It’s not a problem Rainbow. He’s been perfectly happy right up until that time he decided to visit what he was sure was his roots.” Rainbow noticed a slight tear in Twilight’s eye and squeezed her shoulder. She gave a weak smile in return. “He was... Well he was in an orphanage. Mom and Dad were championing fostering and adopting kids at the time and to tell the truth Mom was a little broody too. They fell in love with him and being already registered carers they took him in.” Twilight smiled. “When they introduced us, well, they took me into the orphanage to play with all the children. All the others wandered off and got bored because I was so introverted. They found us both later under a tree in the playground, he was paying rapt attention to me reading a story. He’s my little brother and I love him, since he moved with me and there was all kinds of legal shenanigans I signed up as his guardian.”

“Oh cool. That makes your folks pretty awesome.” Rainbow smiled, “Explains how you’re so awesome too.” Twilight smiled shyly.

The tram drew to a halt at another station. “Oh, this is our stop. Do you have everything Rainbow?”

“Yeah, got the lot. You’ve not left anything right?” Rainbow carried her purchases and overnight bag as Twilight picked up her own things and they left the train.

“Cadence should be in the parking lot. I can’t wait to introduce you properly.” Twilight hooked her arm that was free from bags around Rainbow and leaned closer as they left the station building.

Out in the parking lot a few cars were waiting for arrivals. Twilight tugged Rainbow in the direction of one of them and Cadence stepped out of the vehicle. It was a pale cream coloured Chevrolet, pinstripe detailing in colours to match Cadence’s hair. Rainbow noted the custom machined badge too, instead of the usual gold it gleamed a bright blue.

“Twilight! Ooh so good to see you again!” The two women embraced and mimed their little secret handshake to much giggling and hugging. Rainbow hung back a little, they had met before but it hadn’t been under the best circumstances.

“Oh! Cadence, meet Rainbow Dash. I know you chatted a little at the wedding but, she’s my Girlfriend now.” Twilight gestured Rainbow forward and with surety reminiscent of Fluttershy, Rainbow stepped forward.

“Good to see you again Cadence.” Rainbow smiled and shook hands.

“You two look cute together. Now, get into the Cadence-mobile! We’re expected for family dinner!” She helped them load the trunk with their things and the three set off towards the Sparkle family home. Animated conversation passed the travel time.

PreviousChapters Next