• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 11,966 Views, 481 Comments

Ponyville Days - Cirrus Sky

  • ...
36
 481
 11,966

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Returning

With five friends to help, it didn’t take Rainbow long to move out of her place at the airfield and in to Twilight’s in town. It was entertaining to hear Rarity get overly dramatic when packing the wardrobe (“Everything is virtually identical! It is positively criminal!”). Applejack helped move the heavier items from home to storage or one of Rainbow’s workshops and Fluttershy helped pack things with care as Twilight checked off the list.

Pinkie surprised everyone with the speed she cleaned everything, furniture and floors looking like new. Rainbow wasn’t a slob or even all that messy in her house but after the pink cloud of fury moved through the place looked better than when Rainbow had moved in. “Party clean-up means I am an expert.” Pinkie had explained with a grin and spritz of her spray bottle.

Finally everything Rainbow thought to take was in Applejack’s truck. Everything being donated was in Fluttershy’s car and all that remained in the house was the furniture. Rainbow wouldn’t need it now but her parents were going to have the house and would appreciate it.

When the last box was loaded and everyone was out, Rainbow and Twilight stood in the doorway. “So, this is it.” Twilight said softly, holding her girlfriend’s hand.

“Yeah.” Rainbow lifted the key in her palm. “End of an era. Not a bad thing though.” She gripped Twilight’s hand harder. “Moving in with you is the best choice I made since, well, since I chose to follow you into the forest.” She took a last look down the corridor and then pulled the front door closed.

Twilight was blushing at the implied compliment, “Time to go home then?” It gave her a little thrill to say it to Rainbow.

“Yep. Time to go home.” Rainbow smiled down at her shorter partner and pulled her close as they walked to the cars.

-*-

Dath and Firefly checked out of the guesthouse with promises not to be strangers, they moved their luggage into the house and ordered their things from storage to be delivered. As Rainbow was settling in to sharing her life with Twilight and Spike, Dath and Firefly took to their new jobs. The crew liked their new colleagues and Rainbow’s parents liked the more laid back airfield atmosphere, not to mention the small town life in Ponyville. Days turned to weeks and soon interviews began for new recruits to the airfield.

-*-

Ponyville looked the same as ever from the air, Gilda mused as she circled in to land. Sure, the airfield had the new addition but the town itself rarely changed. Landing didn’t take long and whoever was on control duty either didn’t recognise her or didn’t pass comment. She was directed where to park up the airplane.

That was where the first surprise came.

Gilda was unloading her holdall when a someone called her name. It was a familiar name that had a drilled response. “Ma’am!” She turned and saluted. She hated the way drilled responses still worked, but her dad wanted her respectful and she was currently trying to be a better person.

She did not expect to see Firefly, especially not in a wheelchair. Or laughing with clear amusement. “Gilda, I’m not a superior officer and do not need a salute. I kept on telling your father that.” She rolled up closer and knocked the brake on.

“Geez, Captain. I wasn’t expecting that so went into autopilot.” Gilda gave a wry smile. “Uh-”

“I had a bit of a crash, before you ask.” Firefly forestalled any awkward questions. “We came to visit Rainbow, Dath and I, we ended up getting some jobs down here.”

“You work here now?” Gilda tried to keep her mouth from dropping too far open.

“Yes, I’m on control until I am airworthy again. Once that happens I might try and get Rainbow to let me fly again.” Firefly smiled softly at the thought of piloting again.

“Yeah, I’m here for one of the piloting gigs. I’ve got the hours logged on those sort of birds and thought it was about time I tried this whole ‘being an adult’ thing.” Gilda looked out over the tarmac at the helicopters.

“That is a good idea, ag, you’re all growing up y’know. Makes me feel old.” Firefly laughed. She began to wheel herself away and gestured for Gilda to follow. “So, you and Rainbow ended things.”

“Yeah.” It was a statement but Gilda felt she needed to acknowledge it. “From what I know, she’s with someone way better now.” She didn’t let any bitterness into her tone.

“Twilight is lovely, just what my girl needs in her life.” Firefly paused. “You and Rainbow were too similar to each other.” Firefly said, looking Gilda in the eye. “She and Dath have the same issue, they love each other but clash too much to be in each other’s laps.” The pair were making progress through the airfield, being in no hurry Gilda was happy to chat.

“They made up?” Gilda kept her voice as casual as she could, after all, she had been a major subject in their arguments. However the fact that Firefly was here and working meant that Rainbow had made some sort of connection with them again.

“Yes, we did.” The familiar man who stepped out of the hangar they were passing said. He looked more relaxed in a t-shirt and battered aviator jacket, a far cry from the stern man in pressed uniform.

“Sir.” Gilda saluted, she respected him as she respected her father. Firefly giggled beside her.

“See Dath, she is a good girl really.” Firefly smirked and her husband rolled his eyes.

“Are you going to see Rainbow?” Dath didn’t sound threatening but Gilda hoped that the full circumstances of their break-up hadn’t got loose. As ever, the man was straight to the point.

“I was hoping to look her up before my interview.” Gilda rubbed her knuckles against her jacket, she’d developed the habit of late.

“So I don’t come as a surprise. Someone else said yes to my application so, ah, knowing Rainbow she’ll just wait until someone sits at her desk to find out who is there.”

“Rainbow always preferred first face to face impressions.” Firefly chimed in. She had parked her chair and was watching Dath and Gilda carefully.

“A habit you imparted on her.” Dath said, resigned but not aggrieved. He turned to Gilda again. “It would be wise to see Rainbow
before the interview, I agree. Will you need a ride into town?”

“Into town? I thought she would be here somewhere.” Gilda let her bag slip to the floor, going into town ran the risk of her crossing paths with some of Rainbow’s friends. They were bound to have found out how the pair parted and while three of them didn’t worry Gilda, the baker and the farmer were built and strong.

Noticing the not-quite fear in Gilda’s poise Firefly pulled her phone from her pocket. “Rainbow lives in town now. You’ve landed on her day off.” She flicked through the text conversations as she spoke. “I can let Twilight know you want to see Rainbow and she can set something up.”

“I see.” Gilda hadn’t expected her heart to sink, or for a feeling of emptiness to fill her. She’d left Rainbow, Rainbow was with someone better and their relationship was so strong they lived together. ‘Maybe the last stupid hope about getting back together is gone then.’ She picked her bag up again. “That would be a good idea.”

Sensing the change in mood in a rare moment of sensitivity, Dath gestured to the surrounding buildings. “Would you like a tour of the place? I know you’ve been here when Spectrum was still around and since, but Rainbow has really pushed through a lot of changes.” He knew he had disagreements with Gilda but her father was his friend and a respected officer, he knew Griffon would appreciate him looking out for the girl.

“You work here too?” Gilda looked at the shiny badge on his jacket, one of the staff IDs that everyone who worked at the airfield had. ‘That Twilight girl is really getting Rainbow fixed up…’

“In the museum and as a general site guide.” Dath supplied. “I love the old planes, your father has plenty to say on that matter.” He looked fondly at Firefly as she tapped away at her phone. “After the accident we both left the airfactor company and worked things out with Stripy. She set us up with jobs and a place to live.” Pride resonated in his voice.

“A tour would be cool.” Gilda allowed. As they wandered around the property with Dath pointing out new features, Firefly’s phone buzzed. Gilda jumped to find out the reply. It took a moment for Firefly to read it.

“Twilight will be good to have you over later. She did mention that she won’t be telling Rainbow until you arrive. To avoid her storming off or sulking.” She pocketed the phone. “We’ll drive you over in an hour.”

“Alright.”

-*-

The hour passed too quickly.

Gilda felt increasingly uneasy as the car drove down the tidy residential street. Dath stopped the truck outside an older style building, the familiar blue Dodge in the drive next to a purple car. “I have to do this.” She muttered to herself, jumping out and watching the truck drive away. Firefly had decided this reunion was better between Gilda and Rainbow and only Gilda and Rainbow.

The path to the porch was too long a trek for her to make, but she didn’t buckle. She knocked the door.

Running steps and a green haired boy opened the door. “Uh... Hi, Gilda. I’ll get Twilight.” He turned around and ran back into the house. The navy haired girl Gilda remembered reached the door quickly.

“Gilda. Rainbow is out the back. Come on through.” She shut the door behind Gilda. “I hope you got my e-mail.”

Gilda rubbed her knuckles against her jacket, “Yeah. I did, thanks.” She was led through the house and out to a deck area. Rainbow was sat at a table, her back to the door.

“Rainbow, someone is here to see you.” Twilight said softly. Rainbow turned to face them, her smile in greeting fell into a scowl. “You two need to talk.” Twilight backed away, much like the confrontation with Dath, this needed to be something Rainbow flew solo.

PreviousChapters Next