• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 11,966 Views, 481 Comments

Ponyville Days - Cirrus Sky

  • ...
36
 481
 11,966

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38: Trip Home

November passed into December and Twilight was still gradually coming to terms with the truth of her parentage. While not too melancholy about it all, she had taken up the suggestion of counselling and visited once a week. Between her friends, Rainbow and the counsellor Twilight was dealing with the issues.

Christmas was coming up soon, Twilight would be visiting her family again. All the family in Canter City. Night and Twilight senior had extended the invitation to include Rainbow and her parents too. Everyone had been eager to go, encouraging Twilight to use it as a chance to put her last lingering doubts to rest.

Sure Heart, her counsellor was even pleased with the idea. It left Twilight firmly decided that she would visit her family. They would fly there this time though. Rainbow was eager to take to the skies with her parents and girlfriend, plus it was a lot quicker and more comfortable than a drive or the train. Firefly was moving around with a stick now, but she still had the wheelchair on standby. One of Rainbow's private planes was a much better option.

They took off from the airfield to a chorus of goodbyes over the radio. Rainbow was piloting with her dad as co-pilot, Firefly and Twilight sat in the back and played a travel game or two. Spike was happy to move around the plane, looking out the windows or watching Rainbow fly. It was an enjoyable and uneventful journey.

-*-

Twilight's nerves started when Spike called to say they were getting close. She had tried to prepare herself for this. But now that it was coming close she was worried. An attack of anxiety began its waves and her mind raced.

She had spoken to her family on the phone. She had e-mailed and messaged, but there had been little face to face contact over the month. As she began one of her calming exercises, a hand caught hers.

“Are you alright Twilight?” Firefly asked gently.

“Just a little nervy about seeing the family. Which is stupid.” Twilight said, she hated how things could set her off into a spiral of nervous reactions.

“It is a bit expected though.” Firefly reassured the girl. “Everything changed for you and now it is time to face that again.”

“Yeah.” Twilight said quietly.

“One thing you can be sure of though, Rainbow will always be at your side.” Firefly smiled. “That girl points her heart and sets her mind.”

“I'm glad.” Twilight closed her eyes and sat back in her seat. “She and Spike have been constants, it has helped me a lot. I know that I accepted the truth, but the fact it was kept from me still hurts. Maybe I can put it behind me during this visit.”

“Don't stress it though, okay? Have a good time with family.” Firefly patted Twilight's hand. “Heavens know that I regret all our lost years.” She looked towards the cockpit as two multi-hued heads bobbed and moved in the routine of flying the plane. “All over stubbornness.”

“I'm not going to let it keep us apart. It just taking me a while to come to terms. I want to be trusted, to not be trusted is like I am expected to fail somehow” Twilight said softly.

“Just know that they love you and always loved you.” Firefly said, considering things a moment. “It must of hurt them all to keep it a secret. Especially Celestia.”

“My psychologist said that. She's got me thinking on the way a secret can hurt everyone, no matter how well intentioned it is.” Twilight managed a weak smile. “It is good to hear someone else say it. Sort of adds weight to the idea.”

“Glad I could help.” Firefly gave a thumbs-up.

“We'll be coming into landing soon guys.” Rainbow called from the front. Twilight didn't feel as tense has she had thought she would. “Buckle up!” Rainbow said cheerfully.

The landing was routine in the little local airfield Rainbow had chosen, their hire car was already there waiting for them. With the luggage loaded and everyone buckled up, Dath drove the family to the place they would be staying. Twilight's childhood home.

-*-

It didn't look any different, Twilight mused as they approached the house. She wasn't expecting any kind of change really, but some part of her mind wanted there to be a reflection of the immense alteration in relationships that had occurred some weeks earlier.

Perhaps it was a sign that, in truth, there was no great change in how she related to her family in a social sense. It was heartening, but there were still obstacles to overcome. Such as her hesitance to knock at the door.

That issue was solved by Spike racing ahead, the door was opened before he got to the porch and he threw a hug around the person to greet him. “Hi Mom! Rainbow flew us over and it was so cool and a lot better than driving!” He said, snuggling into a mom hug.

“Very good Spike. It was a fair bit faster too I bet.” Twilight Velvet said smiling to the others approaching her home. “Hello everyone.” She smiled warmly to her guests. Rainbow and Dath were helping Firefly out of the car, the blue haired member of the party was moving about on her stick now, but still needed help here and there.

Finally, her gaze settled on Twilight. She had a timid expression, one the girl had often worn when tardy or having snuck cookies from the jar. “Twily.”

“M-mom...” Twilight fell into an embrace. She loved her family, and she loved both of her mothers. She knew it deep in her heart and she knew it right now, she could trust them. Even after this secret.

“Oh baby girl. I have missed you.” Twilight Velvet whispered, the hug felt like forgiveness.

Behind them, Spike stood with Night and they were both smiling. Things were going to be okay.

Ahead of the pair, Rainbow and her parents knew things were going to get better.

“Oh dear, how poor mannered of me. Hello Rainbow, Dath, Firefly. It is wonderful to see you up on your feet dear.” Twilight senior still had an arm around her daughter, but she returned to hostess mode too.

“No problems Velvet, this is a bit of a moment for the family and we're glad to see it.” Firefly used her stick and her new, freer gait to speed over and hug the other woman and the family made their way to the house to settle in for their stay.

-*-

By early evening everyone had settled in. Twilight and Rainbow were in the scholar's old bedroom again, the guest room given over to Firefly and Dath, with Spike settled into his old room too. Twilight was still feeling a little subdued though, here in this familiar place with a new perspective.

She was lying in her old room on her old bed. The same posters and certificates on the walls. The same books on the shelves and painted stars on the ceiling. Alone for the moment, Rainbow was plying pool with her parents and Spike, Twilight had her thoughts for company.

She considered, again, her past. There were photos in frames on her dresser, desk and shelves, Photos of her family, all of them. Photographs of Celestia beaming proud smiles beside her, with Twilight senior doing just the same. Photos of herself accepting awards, the memory of the day certainly featuring Twilight and Celestia.

“I can trust them. They trust me.” She said aloud on the thought of her mothers. Twilight sighed. She'd been working on understanding the perspective of her family. Reasoning on their decisions and what had caused them. Sure Heart had helped during their sessions, asking questions and challenging her more negative assumptions.

Hopefully this holiday, this visit, she could mend the hole she'd made in the family.

Author's Note:

I really have let this slide haven't I? But block breaking little fics become sprawling explorations of characters that didn't exist when I started this fic (Within FiM and other media properties) and things got less and less easy to write as I envisioned them.

But now I have mere paragraphs of the epilogue to complete, so I thought to post this chapter and hopefully not leave over a year long gap to the next!

Thank you faithful readers.

PreviousChapters Next