• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 11,966 Views, 481 Comments

Ponyville Days - Cirrus Sky

  • ...
36
 481
 11,966

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Chat over Coffee

After plenty of shopping in the mall and some of the high street stores, they were both ready for a break and some liquid energy. Twilight was determined to find one of her favourites and moved on with purpose, leading a slightly lost Rainbow around twists and turns, main roadways to alleyways between blocks.

Eventually, just as Rainbow began to suspect they were lost: “Oh! This is a fantastic coffee place Rainbow. Let’s stop here.” Twilight pointed out the small café on the corner. It was just like any other corner in this part of the city and Rainbow had no clue as to how her girlfriend had noticed it. It was her city though and a coffee would really hit the spot.

“Ok then Twi’, whatcha having?” They took a table and Twilight began carefully arranging her bags of purchases. Rainbow had simply hung hers from the back of a chair. She took a look at the menu for her own order while the librarian fussed.

“Can you get me the special? They usually do something tasty for that. Thanks love.” Twilight finally finished placing her purchases to her liking.

“Alright then, I guess I’ll have the…uh,” Rainbow scanned the chalk board again. “Oh man! I’m going to have the Wonderbolt!!” Her shout raised a chuckle from the barista and Twilight. With a mildly embarrassed harrumph Rainbow went to order their drinks.

*

“Whenever we came to the city mom would bring me here for hot chocolate.” Twilight smiled over the rim of her cup and took a sip of her house special. It was so cosy and her breakneck pace earlier had made her legs demand rest. “Then when I stayed with Celestia we visited for tea.” She had the dreamy look of one remembering; Rainbow simply leaned back and took in the sight.

“You just look too cute.” She whispered and took another swig of her coffee. She was about to ask another question when the bell above the door rang out.

“Well, well. I thought I was the only one who knew of this little gem.” It wasn’t a haughty tone, more one reminiscent of Rarity’s. The source of the voice walked in with confidence, styled blonde hair and mirror shades gleaming. With his crisp white jacket and black button-down collar matching effortlessly with his well-tailored trousers and gleaming shoes.

“Blueblood…” Rainbow hissed. She’d not met the guy but from Rarity’s report he wasn’t exactly on her good people list. She was about to take exception to his presence when once again the navy haired librarian surprised her.

“Of course I know about this place Blue, my mother was the one who introduced it to yours.” She smiled. “I’m stopping in the city before visiting home and thought I would show someone else this place."

“Oh Twilight Sparkle! I never recognised you! It’s these damnable shades you see. They make me look at least 30% more stylish but are a devil when I’m inside.” He smiled a gleaming smile and whipped the glasses off his face and into a pocket.

If Rainbow could get her jaw any lower it would be in the basement. “You guys know each other?” was about all she could sputter out.

“He’s Celestia’s nephew Rainbow, you do the math.” Twilight chuckled and Blueblood grinned, he went about making his own order.

“But he’s a jerk!” Rainbow whispered to Twilight. It earned a clip to the ear. “What was that for?”

“You took Rarity’s word on it? I’m ashamed to say I was too caught up in my own plans that night to do anything but she is a bit of a drama queen no?” Twilight spoke with an even tone but stopped when Blueblood joined them.

“Blueblood, meet Rainbow Dash. Aviator, entrepreneur and my Girlfriend.” Twilight smiled widely and Rainbow was glad she hadn’t take a swig of her drink else someone would have got a face-full of coffee.

“Charmed I’m sure. Anyone who this discerning girl chooses must be well worth it.” Blueblood held his to-go cup “Dreadfully sorry I can’t hang around dear, I do have an appointment to get to. Is your visit a whole family thing or am I excused?”

“I’m not sure yet, Mom said we were doing something for the anniversary though, so keep an eye on your social calendar.” Twilight paused.

“Of course I’ll keep it free, I think I have most evening near the date blocked at dinner time for those pair.” He turned to leave

“Ah ah, one more thing Blue. Did you apologise to my friend Rarity?”

Blueblood turned to face them, “Of course I did Twilight, where do you think I obtained such a stunning jacket? Now ciao ladies, I really do have an appointment to keep.” He left with a ring of the bell at the door. Twilight waved him off while Rainbow sat slumped in her chair, mouth agape.

“I get how you’d know him Twi’ but what was that? Rarity had it that the guy was the devil incarnate!”

Twilight gave her a knowing look. “You think a guy’s behaviour at an event like that is his defining traits?” She sighed, “I was too busy trying to spend time with Celestia, I should have warned Rarity or told Blueblood what to expect. With his associations, he gets plenty of gold-diggers and vapid little powder-puffs chasing after him at official events. He judged Rarity at face value and she judged him on his orchestrated actions. Once I heard I sorted everything out.”

“Oh.” Rainbow had only seen the culmination of the evening’s events and the terrible tale related by Rarity. Twilight’s explanation seemed to clear it up and explained why Rarity hadn’t mentioned Blueblood recently. “Alright then. You really are good at this social stuff despite being a twenty year shut in.” She gave a smile to rival Blueblood’s to soften the sting

“I do learn quickly Rainbow and you girls are all great tutors, even when you aren’t trying.” Twilight grinned and sipped from her cup. “So... do you have anywhere else you plan to go after this?”

“You said about some neat bookshops? I want to try and get some of the Daring Do books from the, ah, second printing. The cover illustrations and binding are awesome and the hardbacks had maps printed on the inside!” Rainbow’s eyes shone with excitement.

“Right there.” Twilight beamed, “Right there is how come I love you so much Rainbow, you were willing to give something new a go and now you love it so much.” She blushed a little and took another sip. “It let me know that I at least had a chance with someone as cool as you.” She lowered her eyes, slightly embarrassed.

Rainbow looked a little stunned for a moment but her expression soon softened into a smile. She placed a hand on Twilight’s shoulder. “You know why I love you?” she shifted her arm slightly and stroked Twilight’s cheek. “You were so... so open minded to even offer me, I mean jumped up sky jockey me, something so utterly opposite everything anyone saw me as. It’s like you saw something, some little tiny thing even I couldn’t see, and knew just what to do.” They were speaking in intense whispers, unaware that the baristas and the handful of other customers had all focused on them with the similar look a kitten snuggling a duckling would receive.

It was Twilight who became aware of this first. She remained calm and simply smiled to Rainbow and sat back in her chair. The spell broken the cafe returned to normal business.

Eventually the girls finished their coffees and resumed shopping.

PreviousChapters Next