• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 11,966 Views, 481 Comments

Ponyville Days - Cirrus Sky

  • ...
36
 481
 11,966

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: Plans

Twilight idly watched the play of light on her desk. Library duty was split between several different librarians and such was the size of Ponyville library that only one and a volunteer ever needed to work. Today was one of her many days off. Seeing as her true occupation was as a research aide to Celestia the system suited her well. Two days of the week working in the library got her out of the house and the rest of the time could be spent on study and reports, friend time liberally dispersed amongst it.

A slight gust spiralled a window charm and threw a rainbow across her book. Twilight smiled at the simple sight, it was a bright and colourful reminder of her girlfriend.

Today Rainbow was back working at the airfield. Her job was ill defined and seemed to simply be mere ownership with a little of whatever duties she fancied. Apparently she’d inherited the lot and the rights to several patents from Spectrum Speed himself after impressing him with her passion for flight. Twilight smiled, Rainbow was so earnest and loyal, she could imagine the meeting between two who wished to have been born winged. She was certainly glad that the old aviator had managed to keep Rainbow in Ponyville and was even more glad that Celestia had insisted on visiting the town on her campaign. “Were it not for these people in our lives then we’d never have met.”

*

Rainbow gathered up an armload of paper from the stickers that she’d just applied to a plane. With a thumbs up to the owner and a nod of thanks in return she moved on to the next chore. She didn’t really have to do anything at the airfield herself, she employed others to do everything but she did make a point of helping with the forecasts. Her degree in meteorology had to be used somehow right?

As it stood, the duty board was empty of chores so Rainbow decided to check in with each of her managers. They had the usual news and chatter with a few requests in, soon the sun was moving towards evening. She had no plans for Twilight that night and knew that her studious girlfriend had some work herself so Rainbow decided to go and chat to Spectrum.

The statue stood on a hillock at the far end of the airfield, apparently designed in as a sound buffer between the activity on site and the town of Ponyville. Whatever reason it had been created for, it was the best vantage point to see over the entire airfield in one direction and over to town in the other. It was at the top of this landscaped area that a statue stood.

He was stood in his usual stance, the one anyone who’d spent any significant time at sea took. The statue had been sculpted on a photo from the prime of his life, back as a young man serving in the Pacific. His goggles pushed up onto the brow of his flying hat and a flight suit covered with jacket and scarf. Rainbow still had the jacket, another bequest. The helmet and goggles had gone with their owner, clasped in the hands of the elderly airman. She’d commissioned the statue with full support from everyone at the field, and the end result was a fine piece.

“Hey Spec, not had a good chat in a while have we?” Rainbow settled down on the earth and leaned against the stone plinth. The old man had taken her in after she left college, the wandering pilot had simply been flying from runway to runway across the country. Putting down in Ponyville had been the best move of her life.

“So, Gilda ditched me. You probably saw me moping around the place. I guess that’s good news to you.” Rainbow chuckled, “You never did like her right? Anyway, I’m with Twilight now. Which is great. You would have loved to have met her. I bet she’d have loved to hear all your old stories.” She shifted position slightly. “Thanks old man, for getting me settled. I never did say that before. Wish I had. If you hadn’t caught me here, who knows what crater I’d be in?”

Rainbow stood and dusted her jeans off. “Thanks, I needed a chat. I’ve got a date to plan now.” She gave a grin, “Third date dude, got to make it count!” She jogged back to the buildings of the airfield and noted down her location on the board. Her office was her sanctum and the perfect place to check over her purchases and the list.

*

“Dinner time Twilight!” Spike yelled up the stairs. Twilight realised that it was now early evening but she’d made good progress on her study so at least the afternoon had passed productively.

*

Rainbow looked over her “notes” scribbles and snatches of ideas and discussion. The girls may have been too squeamish to ask about the ultimate end of her plan but all of them had certainly been willing to discuss the more romantic side of things.

*

“Well, Ah do know that you want to create the right ambience.” Applejack had replied to the unusual question. “Aunt Orange was always on about using scents to make things prettified.” She laughed at Rainbow’s expression. “Sugar cube, you look a mite confused.”

“Well duh. What has smells got to do with anything? I know some people dig the dark and stuff.” Rainbow shifted for better balance on the farm fence.

“Sugar cube, you know about how a certain smell makes you remember of feel something? Like, Ah don’t know... When Ah was in Manhattan with my Aunt and Uncle, well Ah couldn’t stick it. Every damn time Ah could smell an apple, all Ah could think of was home.”

“I get you, so if I make things smell good then she’ll be more comfortable and stuff right?” Rainbow pulled her thinking hard face. “Makes sense I guess. Thanks AJ.”

*

There was a jar in front of her, it held lavender oil. The instructions said to just put wooden sticks from the packet into it and it would diffuse the scent. “Good smells, check.” Rainbow smirked, quite honestly the sight of her making and ticking a checklist would probably put Twilight Sparkle into frenzy and immediate orders to bed. The next item had been at Fluttershy’s suggestion.

*

“Oh, Rainbow, what a lovely idea.” She’d beamed at her brash friend despite how odd a question on Romance was coming from the pilot. “You certainly want to make the lighting just right. Candles are perfect, oh... To fill the room with flickering pinpricks of flame, the room lit with soft warm glow...” She trailed off and sighed happily.

“I’ll let Big Mac know that ‘Shy.” Rainbow smirked and watched with fascination as Fluttershy tried to mimic both the hedgehog and the tortoise with their defence mechanism. “Candles in Twi’s house is asking for trouble though.” She chewed her lip.

“Oh... you can get little battery powered ones from the store.” A voice came from within a yellow sweater. “They are very pretty.” It really was a comedic tiny voice.

“Thanks ‘Shy. I want this to be perfect for her. I’ll go get some.” Rainbow gave a pat to the small tuft of pink hair.

*

The box under the table held many battery powered tea-lights, at least enough to make the room glow. “Romantic lights, check.”

Pinkie had been an odd one. After speaking to Rarity and picking up some bed covers (the fashion designer often turned her hand to interior decoration and many gifts to her friends were handmade) the party planner had been surprisingly helpful on planning a good date.

*

“What you need to do is put her into the right situation. You said you don’t want to force her, you want Twilight to be happy and ready to do the deed.” She giggled. “So, all you have to plan is an evening in at one of your houses! She’ll let you know if she wants to get closer.”

*

Rainbow considered her home. It was a mess, it was a place she dumped her things and slept sometimes. It wouldn’t work out there. She flicked out her cell phone and checked the time, Twilight would be ok to call. She dialled and took a deep breath, more nervous than when she’d asked Twilight out.

PreviousChapters Next