• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 500 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 500

Pulling into the Big City

“And there is Manehattan,” Gold Star announced as he and Ember stood side by side at the bow of the ship. They were still an hour away because their main engine was down, but to Ember it felt like she was already inside the city. She gulped and looked to Gold Star, and he just grinned back at her. “You’re willing to face dragons, but the big city scares you?”

Ember nodded slightly, looking back at the city. “So many ponies there, and from what I can see, it looks like a giant maze.” Ember sat down. “And I won't be able to fly.”

“You could go pegasus before we get there.” Ember just stared at him blankly.

“You seem unphased by what I am.” Gold Star burst out laughing.

“Girl, I have seen things worse than drakes here.” He leaned close to her. “A changeling is normal by comparison.” He grinned at her. “Even if you do appear part dragon.”

“Yeah.” She rolled her eyes, “That's what I get for my hive being around them so long. Sadly, I can't breath fire.”

“Oh, I bet that would be handy to have.”

Ember sighed softly, “Only one among my hive could, aside from the queen, that is. But he…” She trailed off, looking down. She looked up when she felt a hoof on her shoulder.

“I am sorry for your loss,” he sighed softly. “Nothing can fill the void that's there, except memories. Remember those good times. Who knows, he could still be alive.”

Ember nodded slightly. “I am sure he is, but I do have something to remind me of him. A little statue made by a griffin.” She grinned up at him. “So, how do I get to this… train station?”

“Just follow the signs, look for the train symbol if you can't read Equestrian.”

“I can, mostly.” Ember nodded, gazing back at the looming city before her. “Anyway, I’ll continue to admire the view, I'm sure you have stuff to do.”

“That I do, enjoy your view.” Gold Star saluted her, then turned and walked back towards the helm of the ship, barking orders out. Ember shook her head slightly and resumed gazing out across the sea towards Manehattan.

Ember continued to stare out at the large city. She stole a quick glance at her saddlebags, which now weighed a bit more as each member of the crew gave her a few bits, except McCoy. He just gave her a written letter to hand to some pony at Canterlot General hospital.

Ember looked back towards the city and noticed a few other ships that were going and leaving the port under their own wind power. None of the other ships looked like the one she was on, or near its size either. She kept her eyes on each boat, chuckling to herself softly.

It seemed each race had boats, drake boats seemed like huge carriers, allowing plenty of room for them to take off. Griffins had smaller boats, since they could take off easier and use spears in combat. But it seemed ponies preferred large boats, so they could have cannons or the unicorns using bows.

She shook her head as she thought about war boats; changelings wouldn't have their own boats, as they avoid war when they can, but if they are dragged into one, they keep with what they are blending in with.

Now that she thought about it, changelings had to be the most peaceful race there was. Even ponies had little bits of aggression within them. She let out a sigh and took another look at the boats. Okay, maybe changelings picked up on war too, but really? Being a part of any other species would do that.

It didn't take long for the ship to pull into port and all the procedures to go forth. She kept at the bow of the ship, out of every ponies way until Gold Star said she was safe to move. It took about an hour for all this to go on.

She managed to take a few steps out of the port and just stood there, gazing at all the ponies walking about. She took a deep breath and continued another step before a voice behind her made her stop and turn slightly.

“Miss Haze, wait up.” Spin Helix landed softly beside her, grinning. Ember tilted her head, looking confused.

“Why are you here Mr. Helix? I thought you were needed with the ship.” Helix kept the grin as he stood beside her.

“Gold Star thought you could use an escort through your first major city. I was more then happy to oblige. You don't mind, do you?” Ember quickly shook her head.

“Oh no, no. I’d love that.” She looked back into the city. “This place is just so… big. Is everything like that here in Equestria?” Helix started into the city and Ember followed close behind.

“Not everything is this big, just Manehattan, Pillydelphia and Canterlot really. Baltimare is kind of close too, but it's still growing. There are other smaller places too.” Helix let out a few chuckles.

“Hopefully, Canterlot isn't as busy as this place.” Ember shook her head as she trotted along. Since arriving, she had kept her emotion senses limited to just a yard or so around her. Any greater, it felt ready to overwhelm her with so many different emotions. Being a harvester, she had control over how far she could sense, but could never shut it off and at times, like this, she wished she could.

“I haven't been there in a while, but I do recall it being peaceful in comparison. Probably because that's where Princess Celestia resides.” Helix stopped as he heard a soft squeak behind him and glanced over his shoulder. Ember was looking at him wide eyed.

The Princess Celestia?” He nodded.

“Don't worry, she’s harmless. Well, unless you piss her off, but I doubt you’d do that.” He grinned widely as Ember shook her head.

“Well, no. I’m just worried she’d see through my disguise or something.” She resumed walking, and decided now to look around, seeing various stores along the main road they were traversing.

“She may be an alicorn, but she isn't all seeing. She didn't predict this war going to our lands, for starters.” Helix let out a soft sigh. “So seeing you for what you are, I doubt it’d matter anyway if she could. You are kind and generous, so she’d welcome you with open wings.”

“Yea, I suppose you're right, besides. I doubt I’d get much interaction with her anyway. I don't think alicorns get sick, or hurt.” She chuckled softly. “Thank you again for this, Mr. Helix.”

“It was no problem at all Miss Haze. The train is the most direct route to Canterlot, unless you really want to fly there.” They took a turn and strolled through a park, Ember started to relax a little at the view of nature, grinning some as she glanced at it.

“At least it isn't all buildings here.” She looked towards Helix. “So, I’ve been meaning to ask, what is a train?”

“Think of it as a series of carts chained together, lead by an engine that can roar like a dragon.” He glanced back at her. “Really, it's just the engine that makes all the noise. The rest of it is comfy seats, good food, and some company. Although you’re on your own there, but I’m sure you’ll make a friend or two on it.”

“Huh, drakes had nothing like that.”

“What about the griffins?”

“Never really been to a griffin city. My home was more in the drake empire, so we kind of lived in theirs. I guess it makes sense as the drake empire is kind of small, or at least seemed so.” Ember shrugged as she walked along.

After leaving the park and taking a few more turns with idle chat. She finally came up to the train station. She glanced at Helix with a grin, then winced after hearing one of the train whistles blow.

“Yeesh that's loud.”

“You get used to it after a few years.” Helix said as he turned to face her and bow slightly. “This is my stop, Miss Haze. I wish you the best of luck in Canterlot, where we may meet again.” He turned and took a few steps, then stopped and glanced back at the hoof near his mid section.

“Just wanted to thank you again for the escort. And tell Gold Star thanks for ferrying my sorry tail across the sea.” She grinned up at him. Helix gave a more formal bow and nodded back.

“It was no problem at all, Miss Haze. Take care.” He turned and took off into the sky back towards the port. She watched him fly off, then turned back towards the station and started towards it. She paused at the top of the steps and looked around, spotting booths that had a few ponies behind them. She glanced above it and noticed the sign she was looking for.

She grinned and trotted up, casually waiting in line till it was her turn. She stepped up and asked for a ticket to Canterlot, the mare behind the counter giving her a once over, shrugging, and passing it along after getting the required bits. After trotting inside and looking around, she found the train she needed, after marveling at them for a bit.

She had to wait about an hour for the train to get prepared for the trip, but it gave her plenty of time to admire the view of such technological wonders. When they called for her train, she was actually eager to ride one of these, to cover great distances with relative ease. It certainly saved energy to do so as compared to flying.

The inside of the train was small, least compared to what she expected. It truly was like a bunch of carts chained together, with the same space. She seated herself at one of the benches as she was told to wait for every pony to board. It seemed this train was going to make a few stops along the way to Canterlot, but all were rather short.

She was also told where the cabins were, but decided to remain here for now. She grinned as she looked about the cabin, ponies of all kinds were taking this train, but what made her grin the most was the foals. They looked to be ready to enjoy this ride as she could feel their excitement in her short range.

It didn't take long before the train started off on its trip, the whistle startling her as it seemed to affect some of the foals as well. The feeling of fear soon passed though as she watched Manehattan fade into the distance.

Author's Note:

Spin Helix and Gold Star are Sylvian's.