• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 502 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 502

Holding On

“What's wrong?” Quicktail asked as he watched Ember fall into their bed. “Long hours at the hospital?”

“Something like that,” Ember mumbled into the pillow. “There was a...patient… at the castle, that required my expertise.”

“Certainly not a griffin, I’d know about it.” He crawled into bed and laid next to her, draping a wing over her and snuggling up to her side.

“No… he’s more exotic than that…” She trailed off, somewhat snuggling back into his side as she yawned widely. “I… can't go into details about it, I'm sorry.”

“Why? You’re normally open about everything else.” He rested his head between her ears.

“This is one secret that I have to keep, hun. Princess Luna’s order.”

Quicktail quickly lifted his head, looking at her, “Seriously? From Her?” She rolled onto her side a little, looking up at him.

“Yes. I can't tell anypony about it… and…” she closed her eyes, sniffling. “It's not what I was expecting, at all.”

Quicktail laid back down beside her, laying a wing over her. “If you must, let it out. Just know that I am here for you.” He adjusted himself a little, able to move an arm and paw to rub along her back, massaging it gently.

She shook her head, looking up at Quicktail again and rolling onto her side. “Curse it to Tartarus, I don't care of she banishes me to the moon.” She rolled over to face Quicktail, tears were already forming in her eyes, “Talon is the patient, and…he’s stabilized, but he was in critical condition just a few hours ago.”

Quicktail blinked, watching Ember. She was shaking as she looked at him, tearing up as she buried her muzzle in his chest again.

“He was beaten to near death… by a group of pegasi.”

“Let me at them, I’ll teach them a thing or two of messing with changelings!”

Ember shook her head. “They have magic, like a unicorn does.”

“H-how?” Quicktail stammered, “That doesn't seem possible!”

“Even the Princess doesn't know. It’s scary to know of this, and it's not right for me to keep it from you.” She hugged him tightly. “Just… Don't go telling the world, ok?”

Quicktail nodded, hugging her back. “Aren't you happy to see him again?”

“I am… but, there’s more.” She sighed. “He… hasn’t aged, at all.”

“Ok, I know you age slower. Because your part drake, but.. twenty years is a long time to not age at all. Do you know why?”

“One word; Discord.” She looked up at him. “At least that's what Princess Luna said.”

“Riiight… So what is wrong with him?” He paused to chuckle softly, “Talon, that is… the list is too long for Discord.”

Ember chuckled weakly as she relaxed a little next to the griffin. “His crest is damaged, his left fore hoof and part way up the limb is burned. In addition, he has several burn marks along his other limbs, his back carapace is cracked and had gravel in it. He had at least two cracked ribs,” she sighed as she listed off everything.

“Geez, please tell me he went down fighting at least.”

“From what Blazetail said, there was a major fight. Two others were involved, I don't know what all is wrong with them but it isn't pretty.” She shook her head. “Even drakes and griffins weren't this bad. And I was in the middle of their war!”

Quicktail sighed, and stroked a paw through her mane. “Is there anything we can do to help him?”

“At this moment, it's all up to him. Witchy and I have done all we can. We can only pray he gets better.”

“Can't you give him something? Energy perhaps?”

Ember nodded slowly, “I can, but if I give too much, I could drain myself dry. At this point I wouldn't care if ponies saw the true me. It's just… hard knowing he was so close to death.”

Quicktail squeezed her in a hug. “He’ll pull through. You said he was a soldier, right? We always pull through because others need us to. Just you wait, he’ll be back, crashing into trees again before you know it.” He grinned down at her, noticing that she had fallen asleep while he was talking. He let out a tiny sigh and kissed her forehead, just above her horn. “He has to, for your sake,” he mumbled quietly.


Ember yawned as she slowly woke up, the warmth that she fell asleep on was gone from the bed, leaving just a pillow in its place. She heard faint rustling from outside the door, she slowly pulled herself up and looked around.

“Quicktail?” She heard a squeak from the living room, and about a minute later a familiar griffin head popped into the bedroom, grinning sheepishly.

“Your awake, uhh.. early.” Ember tilted her head as she looked at him. Her senses hadn't fully woken up, but she could have sworn she was detecting anxiety from him, with a side of nervousness.

“What has you so riled up?”

“Oh! I was just going to go some place and get something. I left a note telling you to meet me at Rusty’s, but… guess it's not needed now, huh?” he kept the sheepish grin as he spoke.

“Uh, ok. But I should check on Talon,” she started to get out of bed, yawning widely again.

“After breakfast, you need food in you first. Okay? Just go to Rusty’s and I’ll be there, promise.” Quicktail waved as he vanished from view, moments later she heard the sound of the door closing. Ember shook her head and made her way over to the bathroom.

She spent the next ten minutes getting ready, and was out the door quickly thereafter. She trotted towards Rusty’s diner, trying to keep up a grin as she passed by ponies, as she ignored the current battle going on in her mind.

She shook her head, grumbling as she glanced towards the castle. They’d let her know if his condition improved, right? Yeah. She could be found easily at her home or the hospital, but she suddenly found herself outside Rusty’s.

She glanced around, not spotting a griffin, so she decided to see if he was inside, already waiting. She opened the door, peering in for the moment and soon spotting a familiar griffin already sitting in a booth with a big grin.

“Ah, Miss Haze!” Ember heard spoken from her side, making her jump and gasp, she glanced over to see a large brown stallion with a dusty grey mane standing there, grinning at her. “You're a bit jumpy this morning! You normally surprise me with greetings!”

“Ah, sorry Rusty. Just a lot on my mind lately, that's all.” She looked towards Quicktail again. “And I see a griffin who wants my attention.” Ember started towards him.

“Oh yea, lovely fellow. I didn't know he was yours though.”

Ember almost fell over herself as she looked back at Rusty. “I… er…”

Rusty leaned in close to her, “He’s a keeper, wouldn't you say?” He grinned, before zooming off to tend to the kitchen. Ember just blinked, watching him for a few moments, then grinned and started back towards Quicktail with a faint pink tint on her cheeks.

She sat down and noticed he was still grinning at her. She glanced over the griffin, and noticed small box sitting by him. “So, what has you so excited this morning?”

“Weeelll,” He let the word go long, resting a paw on the box. “After talking to certain little birdies, I may have found something to perk up your day.”

Ember raised an eyebrow, leaning on the table, “Certain little birdies?”

“Yes!” He chirped, still grinning. “I can't tell you who, as of yet. But you do know them!”

“Can I guess who?”

“Sure, after you order!” He glanced to his side, as Rusty rolled up. “You know what I’ll take, right Rusty?”

Ember blinked at this, tilting her head slightly as Rusty nodded. “Yup! One order of scrambled eggs, extra corn muffins!” Rusty looked at Ember, “And for you, Miss Haze?”

“Just the eggs for me, extra bacon.” Ember nodded, keeping her eyes on Quicktail.

“Got it!” Rusty zoomed off, leaving the pair alone.

“Witchy and Leaf,” Ember stated.

“What about them?” Quipped the griffin.

“Whatever they told you.”

“Oh no no no.” Quicktail shook his head, “Nope!” He grinned widely as he slid the box towards her. She looked down at it, noting it was a simple brown box, with a bow tie on top. “I didn't have time to get it a proper wrapping, but a certain pony told me you’d love what's inside.”

Ember raised an eyebrow at Quicktail, then looked down at the box. She slowly undid the bow with her magic, and opened it up. She gasped at what she saw inside.

Inside the box laid a silver bracelet, a griffin and a pony were inscribed on it. Each one holding a part of an emerald gemstone which was embedded in it. The clasp of the bracelet was made up of the tails of the two, twirling into each other as it looked like the two were grinning at each other, above the stone.

She floated it up, looking it over, and barely looking at the griffin behind it.

“While not a griffin tradition to give stuff, as it's more of a pony tradition. I talked to Topaz Echo about it, and in his spare time. He made that for me. Sure, it cost a pretty bit, but he does some da...er… really excellent work.” He paused, glancing to the side as Rusty stood there, holding a spoon.

Rusty grinned, leaning towards Ember again, “A keeper” he whispered, then zoomed off as Embers cheeks turned bright red. She grinned and floated it over to Quicktail, extending a hoof as well.

“Care to put on this lovely piece of work?” She grinned as he nodded, grabbing it out of her magic and opening it. He held it towards her fetlock, and gently closed it around it, then kissed her hoof and smirked. “Only a few months together, does that count as proposing?”

“We griffins work fast, hehe.” He boasted, holding her hoof in his paw.

“Ahh, young love!” Rusty guffawed as he watched the pair quickly retract, blushing furiously as he set down the plates of food. “Enjoy your meal, you lovebirds!” He winked towards Quicktail, then zoomed off again.

The pair ate in silence, but it was a good silence as they watched each other. Ember was certainly feeling better now, between the best source of love in front of her, and all the excitement in the air around the diner, her spirits had certainly gone up a notch or two.

As they finished up, Ember chuckled softly, “So, a park after this?”

Quicktail put a paw to his beak, looking deep in thought. “I don't know… a park might be too revealing.”

Ember’s cheeks reddened some as she chuckled. “Tonight, you overly fluffy bird you.”

“Yes ma’am.” He saluted, earning a chuckle from their side. They both glanced to see Rusty standing there, grinning, he simply dropped the tab off, and bowed.

“My work here is done. On to the next table!” He sped off with a huge grin, as the pair stood and made their way out of the diner.

Author's Note:

Rusty is Calm Winds.