• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 500 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 500

Assessing the Damage

Lode Stone stood in the crater that was formerly the Wonderbolt compound. He looked around it, ignoring the pained feeling of the soil he was standing on seeping through his hooves. The secret tunnel to the castle had been sealed up and blocked off at the doors in the castle, and all wiring and pipes had been sealed too. He sighed as he lifted a hoof, looking down at it as the pained feeling left it some.

It had been two days since the Shadowbolt fortress fired the cannon, destroying much of the high-class district and the castle. He was underground with most of the civilians that could be there. And when it fired, not only did he feel the pain it caused, so did almost every earth pony that was near him, some even howling out.

He may not have been an earth pony, but being a tunneler he felt the connection all the same. The ground itself had stopped crying out in pain a day ago, and during that time, he found it really hard to focus. Right now it felt like it was healing, but still whimpering from the scar made.

He let out a sigh, looking skyward. He knew the compound wasn't destroyed, otherwise, there’d be debris of the building all over the place. But he couldn't tell why it felt like some of the ground was just, missing. Like it was picked up and carried elsewhere.

His thoughts were disrupted by a shout, making him turn towards one of the edges of the crater, seeing a Royal guard shouting down at him. He grinned meekly as he trotted up to him.

“What the hay are you doing in there citizen?” The earth pony stallion asked, gruffly.

“Just trying to get a feel for how to fix that,” Lode gestured back to the crater, glancing back as well. “After we get the rest of the city back in order... sir.”

The stallion sighed, “That cannon tore a scar in the city, it's going to take a long time to heal.”

Lode stone rested a hoof on the stallion's shoulder, “And it seems I’ll still be around to help fix the city up. I may not be a builder, but I know how to use a hammer.”

The stallion looked up, “I think I’ve seen you in the tunnels before. What's your name?”

“Lode Stone, sir. Yours?”

“Blitzkrieg. And I suggest you stay out of that crater for now. Go see what work you can help with.”

“Yes sir, I was just taking a short break. I’m going to check on a friend anyway, then I shall.” Lode turned and started towards the low-class part of the city.

“Which friend, if I may ask.” Blitzkrieg watched him stop, and glance over his shoulder.

“Emerald Haze, she works at the Canterlot Hospital,” Blitzkriegs eyed widened a little, as Lode turned a little more, detecting surprise. “Why?”

“Just… comfort her as best you can. We don't know what happened to the Wonderbolts and their allies. Far as we can assume, they are alive.” Blitzkrieg turned and started back towards the castle. Lode sighed, turning and continuing to trot to his destination.


Ember woke to the smell and sounds of bacon sizzling and eggs being cooked. She yawned widely, slowly sitting up and looking around. Her last two days had been worse than when she left the drake empire. So many wounded since they were caught in the rolling cloud of debris. There had been no word from the Wonderbolts, or the Renegades, since then. Two days of silence as the city dealt with the wound it received.

She let out a sigh as she looked at her hooves, barely noticing that they were her natural changeling hooves. She was so drained she didn't feel the urge to hide, or even the power to shift at the moment. She looked towards the door to the bedroom, noticing it wide open and the aroma wafting in.

She sighed again and slowly crawled out of bed and trudged into the living room. She glanced towards the kitchen, seeing Quicktail humming a tune and cooking up breakfast. She dragged her hooves as she walked towards the couch, flopping on it with a loud sigh. Quicktail barely glanced over his shoulder, his grin fading just a little as he saw the state Ember was in.

“You’re not okay, are you?” Quicktail asked as he slid some eggs onto a plate. Ember barely looked in his direction before shifting her gaze to the mantle, staring at the two statues and leg guards.

“No… I’m drained,” She muttered, her gaze not leaving the statue of Talon. “The city feels wounded and hurt.”

“I know the last few days were bad. But think of it this way, we’re still alive,” he walked over, balancing some plates on his wings and sliding one in front of her. “Kept your breakfast warm for when you finally woke up.”

She looked down at it, then to him, grinning slightly. “Thanks,” She slowly started on her food, as Quicktail sat next to her.

“You’re not going to the hospital today, at least not for a while,” Quicktail barely glanced at her as she quickly turned to look at him.

“I have to! They -mmph!” Quicktail closed a paw around her mouth as he shook his head.

“Look at yourself, you are in no condition to go right now,” He leaned in close. “I may not be the expert on changelings, but when you are drained enough to just let the disguise fall, then you aren't going to work,” He let her mouth go, and grinned softly. “So, for now. Soak up my love, Faith will understand.”

“I... okay.” Ember sighed, looking back at her food.

“And besides, when you do go back, I’ll be there with you.” He smirked as he took a bite of his own cooking.

“Wait, why?” Ember looked back at him, confused.

“The rest of the griffins are being kept in a part of the royal quarter of the castle, and really have no connections to Canterlot. So, they are going to help out in rebuilding, and I offered to help out at the Hospital.” Quicktail grinned widely, as Ember just blinked.

“There wasn't a lot of damage to it…”

“No, just the windows and those with wings would be helpful. Besides, I'm strong and can help out. And I can stick close to you, give you that precious energy you need,” He grinned, leaning over to nuzzle her. She leaned back on him and nuzzled back.

“Thanks, I don't know what I’d do without you.”

He chuckled softly, “Continue to be alone and not make any more friends,” he grinned down to her, then perked up as he glanced at the door, a knock sounding a second later.

“It's me, Lode Stone. Am I…” He trailed off as the door opened a little, a soft red haze around it. He slowly stepped in and looked at the pair sitting on the couch, a half-eaten meal in front of them. “Interrupting?”

“Come in, you're letting in the cold air.”

Lode chuckled and stepped in, closing the door behind him, then turning around and staring at the pair that started to eat their meals, while snuggling up to each other. He walked over to the mantle and sat by it, looking at the pair.

“So, I…” he paused, looking down for a moment, “The Royal Guards say there is a high chance the Wonderbolts are still alive, and I agree with them.”

“What makes you say that? Of course, they are alive! Luna probably stayed in the compound and it's somewhere else, who knows where.” Ember looked past Lode, staring at the statues again.

Lode looked confused, “What do you mean?”

“I saw it from the hospital, both the Shadowbolts fortress, and the Wonderbolt compound. The Wonderbolt compound lifted off, it… I don't know, it looked different for the few moments I saw it!”

Lode looked down, “That explains the feeling I got from the crater then. No way it was just destroyed, if it was, there would be parts of it all over. Even if the beam was the size of Canterlot Castle itself.”

Quicktail looked confused at Lode, “Feeling you got?”

“Heh, here's a lesson for you. While I may not be an earth pony, being a tunneler means I'm just as close as one. I feel the earth beneath my hooves better than most changelings,” he lifted a hoof, wiggling it a little. “I feel more at home underground than above it, and don't get me started on the sky. While I can fly, I prefer not to.”

Quicktail nodded slowly, “I understand, I think,” he turned to Ember. “So that means there is a high chance Talon is still alive.”

Ember nodded back to him, Lode looked confused again. “Wait.. our little soldier colt is…?”

“Fighting with the Wonderbolts, wherever they are now. Yes.”

“But I thought he couldn't fully disguise himself! And why would he be fighting with the Wonderbolts!”

Ember looked down, sighing. “I believe it's time to catch you up on current events.”


“Wow... just wow.” Lode just blinked as he walked alongside Ember and Quicktail. Both were dressed for work, with Embers outfit already at the hospital, and Quicktail wearing his guard outfit, complete with the wing guards. The trio was trotting towards the hospital after having explained almost everything to Lode.

“Yup.” They both agreed as unicorn and griffin glanced to the earth pony in the middle.

Lode looked at Ember, “Our little soldier has grown up, figuratively speaking anyway.” He chuckled softly as he looked around. “Well, this is my stop, I’ll see you both tonight since I'm sleeping at your place for now.” He turned and went off towards one of the buildings that was being worked on.

“Have fun! Try not to break anything!” Ember shouted as he left, Lode stopped and turned partially.

“That was Scope that did that!” He stuck out his tongue, before almost prancing to his destination.

The pair laughed as they made their way through the dusty streets towards the hospital. They looked around to see ponies working on cleaning the streets, fixing what little was damaged this far from the castle and generally being helpful to each other. Quicktail let out a soft sigh as he looked at Ember, who had fallen silent.

“Well, at least Canterlot is fixing itself.”

Ember nodded slowly, keeping her sight forward, “Yeah, it was dealt a major wound, but will recover like any city does.”

“You don't sound all that hopeful.” Quicktail moved up and laid a wing over her.

“This is just bringing back painful memories. That's all.” Ember sighed, looking up at the hospital and seeing Faith Cure outside, directing ponies to various things. “Well, shall we see what damage there is to fix today?”

Quicktail nodded as he and Ember trotted up to Faith Cure, who turned to them and grinned.

“Ahh, You must be the famous Quicktail, who stole Embers heart.” She bows, just a little sweep of her hooves. “Since you're basically volunteering your time here, I figure you can start on the top windows and work down? You’ll get some help of course.”

Quicktail glanced up at the top floor of windows, “Not a problem, ma’am,” he gave a short salute, “When should I start?”

“Oh, so formal too,” Faith chuckled. “Ember can give you a tour first, then you can go up and help. You may be up there for hours on end, though.”

Quicktail scoffed, holding a paw to his chest, “Taking advantage of my Sky Wing training?” He grinned, leaning close to Faith, “You are such a boss,” he bowed slightly, “It will be done, ma’am,” he finished with another salute.

Faith just chuckled as she watched him be just a little over dramatic, Ember just shook her head with a grin.

“Come along Mr. dirty beak,” Ember tugged him along gently in her magic. “We have work to do.”

“Yes, ma’am!” He grinned as he willingly followed behind Ember. Leaving Faith behind to laugh as they went inside.

Author's Note:

And here we catch up with Lode Stone, Ember, and Quicktail after Chapter 3 of Canterlot in Flames. This one takes place the next day, and Faith Cure finally gets to meet the griffin that sweeps Ember off her hooves.