• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 498 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 498

Reunion - Ember's View

Ember blinked as she walked up to the Hospital, having been called in for an emergency. She let out a yawn as she stepped through the door, instantly stopping in place to see a pair of pegasi look like they went through a meat grinder on stretchers. She took a step forward when she heard somepony clear their throat.

She glanced to her side to see a snow white bat pony wearing Luna’s Night Guard armor standing there. His red eyes scanned her, looking her up and down.

“Are you Emerald Haze?” he asked gruffly. She nodded slightly, “Faith Cure said your presence would be better suited in the castle. A… special guest requires medical attention that the current doctor can't provide. And Faith Cure said you are an expert on… different species.” She again, nodded slowly. He raised an eyebrow. “Do I intimidate you?”

She smirked and turned back to the doors. “Just caught me off guard, sir. You’re not a drake. And those don't intimidate me.” She stopped and glanced back towards the two pegasi being led away on stretchers. “What happened?”

“An… accident.” He turned and started out the door, Ember noticing he had a medical bag already on his back. “You aren't afraid of flying, are you?”

If only you knew I had wings. She shook her head. “Your armor would make it uncomfortable though. I can just run to the castle.”

“I recommend against that. It is imperative that you get there quickly.” He knelt down, spreading his wings out.

Right… She sighed and hopped onto his back. Once she was comfortable, he stood up and took flight, heading straight for the castle in the moonlight.

“You are… rather light for a unicorn.” He commented as he flew along.

“I work out and keep in shape. Only have sweets sparingly, and from one place, sir.” She paused, looking towards the castle. “What is the problem that requires us to get there quickly, Moonlight Knight?”

“A… pony is in critical condition, and he requires the best attention as he has vital information.”

“Huh… Was he involved with the other two?”

“We are here.” He gently set down on the balcony, and lowered himself. Ember hopped off, glancing to him for a moment, then towards the window, walking up to it and tapping on it. A blue glow encased it and opened it, letting the pair step inside.

Ember took note of who all she saw inside. Luna was talking to a pair of stallions, one of which looked like the former captain of the Wonderbolts. She gazed to her side and saw Witching Hour looking over something on the bed frantically. Ember took a few more steps in and saw what, or rather who, it was that had Witch so frantic.

Ember’s eyes widened as time seemed to slow down. Her eyes remaining locked on the pony’s face, afraid it would vanish if she blinked. She didn't even hear Witch’s voice as she looked over the changeling that was currently getting light medical attention.

It was a face she hadn’t seen in nearly two decades. The crest looked the same, aside from the damage about half way down it. He still looked the same age as back then, no signs of aging whatsoever.

It was Talon, and he was in critical condition on a bed in the castle, in front of Princess Luna, in his natural form.

“Emerald! So glad they sent you!” Ember vaguely heard Witch say. She paused, looking over the changelings expression for a moment, “Oh, I didn't know how you’d react to seeing a…”

“Talon…” She murmured, earning the direct attention of Witch.

“...How do you know him?”

Ember stepped up to the bed, sitting beside it and looking him over. Seeing all the damage done close up. She could tell he was wheezing with each faint breath, his left hoof scorched, small burn marks along his legs, crest, horn, and even his wings.

“We… uh… aw shards.” She looked down, not having said that in ages, she glanced over to Witch, reading her confused expression. “What happened to him?”

“He was involved in an accident.”

“Don't lie to me! These wounds are not just from an accident! He has trouble breathing, he has various scorch marks! His energy is… er…” She wavered, sighing. “His crest is torn, unrepairable. His hoof is burned from some form of magical damage. Whatever he did, it wasn't just an accident.”

“Fine, he was in a fight with some powerful forces. Okay?” Witching nearly shouted, drawing the attention of everypony else in the room. “What do you mean by, his energy?”

Ember looked down at her shaking hooves. “You’re not going to like this.”

“Like what?” Witch asked, stepping back and looking at Ember. “I’ve never seen you act this…” She trailed off as Ember’s form engulfed in fire, revealing the changeling beneath that resembled the one on the bed, save for the large scar on her chest. “What in Tartarus?!”

Ember winced, looking at Witch, then to Talon. “He’s my little brother, you could say.” She retook her unicorn form.

“Were you even gone during the wedding? Or were you a part of that attack?!”

Ember shook her head, “I was in Manehattan, honest.”

Witch sighed, “Of course…Hard to deny those wings and that tail. And the slow aging you mentioned.” She growled lowly, looking at Talon. “Fine, what can we do to help him?”

“First off, I would like to know everything that happened.” She turned to the two stallions, who were just staring at Ember. The red one with an orange mane shook his head first, the one she recognized as the former captain.

“We aren't sure. We found him and the other two badly beaten. They were the only ones who survived the attack.” Blazetail stepped up. “So you’re a changeling?”

“Not relevant right now, sir.” Ember looked up at him. “An attack with what?”

“Shadowbolts,” Luna said calmly.

“But aren't they just an old mare's tale?” Ember looked at Talon, hearing him wheeze.

“Afraid not, Miss Haze.”

“But they’re pegasi! Where are the magic burns coming from then?” Ember focused on Talon’s hoof.

“From a magic we do not understand.” Luna moved to Talon’s other side, sitting down and looking across him at the pair of doctors. “We suppose thou should be informed of what is going on. But thou must promise not to tell.”

“I keep a secret daily, Princess.” Ember snorted, her eyes barely flickered to Luna. “Adding one more isn't going to hurt.”

“Okay then…” Blazetail started, sitting at the foot of the bed.


Together, Blazetail and Luna brought Ember up to speed on current events; the Shadowbolts, the patrols they do, the fact Talon dropped in on a meeting over two months ago thanks to Discord, and that he decided to join the Renegades in protecting ponies that hated what he was.

A part of her was annoyed he didn't come looking for any others from the hive, while another part was glad he didn't.

She and Witch spent the time during the story to wrap him up in enchanted bandages, Ember telling Witch exactly what to do to relatively mend what was damaged or broken. Blazetail and Cloak sat back, just explaining what all was going on behind the scenes, as did Luna, while the pair worked.

After everything got explained, it was her turn to explain how she knew Talon, how they were from the same hive, in the drake empire. At two different points when the same event occurred. Some rainbow streak that pretty much destroyed a hive.

She also mentioned that she has met a few of her hive mates, but couldn't disclose where they are currently. She didn't want them to lose whatever job they had, considering one was pretty much directly under Shining Armor. She explained to them that she would like what she is kept secret, to which they agreed.

After all was said and done, Ember sighed, looking at Witch. “How come you believe me, when I say who I am.”

Witch looked back at her, and pointed to her chest. “Your scar. Same in either form, and the Emerald I know would keep it to honour what all she has gone through to get where she is today.”

Ember looked down, grinning. “Thanks.”

“That… and your medical knowledge speaks for itself,” Witch added with a smirk. “It does explain why you prefer to enchant the bandages, and why your kind of tipsy after large events. Even though you don't drink.”

“So, you're not mad at me?” Ember asked, sheepishly eyeing the mare.

“Oh, I am mad, but I understand why you’d hide it.” Witch sighed, “It’s just going to take a while to come to terms with that knowledge,” she paused, tilting her head, “Who else knows?”

“Quicktail, Faith Cure, a few other ponies. And you can ask Faith where I was before the wedding.” Ember shrugged faintly. “And now, you, Luna, former Captain Blazetail, some random stallion, Moonlight Knight.”

“You know, I will ask her, just because.”

Author's Note:

Art by Foxenawolf.
Moonlight Knight, Witching Hour is Witching Hours, Blazetail is Calm Winds, Cloak is Jim Hoxworth's.