• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 500 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 500

New Family Ties

Ember let out a soft groan as she rolled over in bed and let her hooves hang over the edge. Quicktail was already making lunch for everypony in the living room and she had slept in. She has been wide awake for the past couple minutes though, as her mind was thinking about something else.

The hospital crew already knew what she was, along with Princess Twilight Sparkle. She let her eyes linger on the horn-ring sitting on the stand by the bed as she thought about her extended family. Witching Hour already knew, but Leaf Wind didn't, nor did Trick Step or Fine Brew. She wondered if she should tell them or not, just to get it all out and off her chest.

“What's on your mind, Miss Haze?” Ember heard from the doorway. Ember blinked and looked at Magenta, who was looking at her with worry. “I can tell you’re thinking, my mother made that exact same face. So, what are you thinking about?” Magenta asked as she moved over and sat by the bed.

“If I should tell my other friends about what I am.”

“Did you keep it a secret from everypony?” Magenta asked while raising an eyebrow.

“It’s kind of what we changelings do. I just feel it is too soon, or that they will get angry. Hay, Witching Hour was upset when she found out,” Ember shrugged weakly, rolling onto her back and staring at the roof.

“Well, that seems kind of dumb that you hide what you are,” Magenta spoke bluntly, earning a huff from Ember.

“Glad that centuries of my history seems dumb,” Ember rolled onto her side to face away from Magenta.

“But if Witch Doctor knows what you are, then how bad is it that her family knows?” Magenta moved up to the bed and hopped up, letting her hooves rest on the edge as she watched Ember.

Ember rolled back onto her back and looked at Magenta with an eyebrow raised questioningly. “Witch Doctor?”

“Er, yeah. It’s what Tricks calls her,” Magenta grinned and sat on the floor, letting her muzzle rest on the edge of the bed.

“Huh, I wonder if you’d give me a nickname,” Ember looked back at the roof. “If I adopted you.”

“I’d say she’s already adopted you, dear,” Quicktail’s voice comes from the doorway, making them both glance towards it. “Your lunch is ready, m'ladies,” Quicktail bowed slightly before stepping back out into the living room.

Magenta bounced to her hooves and started towards the door. “How about we talk about it over lunch, okay?”

Ember rolled to her hooves and followed. “Okay,” Ember followed her out into the small living room they had and sat by the couch, where lunch was already waiting for her. She quickly dug into her meal as Opal and Feather watched her. After a few bites she looked up and around. “Where’s Lode Stone?”

“Said something about meeting with the Royal Guards this morning,” Opal glanced at Feather who nodded. “It seems for what he did during the riots, he is being offered a spot in the guard.”

Ember looked confused, Opal chuckled softly and started to explain. “I told him to come back and hide with me underneath in the mines, but he decided he didn't want to see any more suffer. He lead ponies away from the main conflicts and took paths that kept them from coming to too much harm.”

“I had asked one the guards,” Feather took over. “Lode kept going back out after dropping off a hoof full of ponies. I guess his time in the griffin empire made him brave,” Feather shrugged slightly.

“So, they want to make him one of the guards?” Ember asked, focusing on Opal.

“Yeah. I found it weird too, but he’s actually considering it.”

“But is Princess Twilight going to have problems with a changeling in the Royal Guard? And… What about Luna when she returns?” Ember sighed, resting a hoof on her forehead. “I’m just… over thinking things again, aren't I?”

“Yes, you are. Even if the princesses have problems, the guards will quickly calm them.” Opal chuckled. “Besides, he’d make a good guard. Scope certainly does, I think he’s a lieutenant by now.”

Ember raised an eyebrow for a moment, then shook her head. “You’re doing it again.”

“No I'm not. Me doing it again would be saying that Daring, Leaf, and Fine are currently at the remains of their tea shop.” Opal blinked, then looked down at Magenta, who looked confused. “I, er. Uh…” Opal blushed and stumbled for words as Ember started laughing, making Magenta look towards her.

“Opal is a bit weird. Not as weird as some ponies, mind you. But she often says things that turn out true. We just tend to brush it off, most of the time.” Ember looked at Opal with an eye. “That time she said Talon had hit a tree, hard, and nearly broke a wing though…”

“And you dismissed me at first! When he didn't return right away, you and Feather here went out looking for him, and I was right!” Opal held a hoof to her chest as she beamed proudly.

“And you did it again when we were chatting with Princess Twilight!”

“I did?”

“Yes! You told her what Scope looked like, and as far as I recall, we never said that he was a unicorn,” Ember watched Opal blink, then tip her head to each side as she thought.

“Huh, so I did, oops,” Opal shrugged helplessly. “So I am doing it again, at least I'm not as bad as before the fall,” she playfully stuck her tongue out at Ember.

“Er, true.”

“So, why did you mention Leaf and Daring?” Feather spoke up, then blinked. “Wait… the same Daring from the books?”

Quicktail chuckled softly, finally making a noise as he had silently sat next to Ember who had looked down again.

“Because,” Opal started, as she pointed to Ember. “Somepony here has been thinking about them all morning and wondering if she should reveal herself to them or not.”

“And what does your magic 8-ball say?” Ember muttered, barely looking at Opal as she kept her nose pointed down.

“I don't use an 8-ball, too archaic. Just ask Pinkie Pie. Don't even get me started on the bones,” Opal waved a hoof, earning a chuckle from those around. “I prefer gut instinct and you know it. And it says, yes,” Ember let out a long sigh, as Opal shook her head. “At least one of the reactions will be amusing.”

“Wait wait, go back,” Feather blinked, looking at Ember. “Just how many famous ponies do you know?”

Ember blushed and rubbed the back of her head, looking a little sheepish. “Well, being a Nurse at Canterlot, I see a good number of ponies.”

“Next your going to tell me that you have tea with Princess Luna, aren't you!” Feather pointed a hoof at Ember, who only shrugged in response.

“No, Siren Bliss does, and I know her decently well.”

“Agh! I am no longer worthy of being in your presence!” Feather huffed and crossed his arms, snorting fakely as Ember blushed and grinned softly. Ember chuckled and stood to stretch out.

“I suppose I should go see them, huh?” Ember looked at all those around, who nodded back to her.


“I’ve changed my mind! I don't want to do this!” Ember whined as she was dragged along by Opal’s magic. Her hooves slid along the paved street towards what was left of the Fine Brew Tea Room. Magenta and Quicktail were by her side, chuckling at Embers misfortune. Feather Dust was hovering along, making sure Ember didn't take to the air to try and escape.

“You’re doing it, otherwise it will distract you while you work. And I don't think you want that, do you?” Opal barely glanced back at Ember as she trotted along, her horn glowing.

“But it’s still too soon! I should wait! You know, come back in a week, a month, perhaps!”

“No, you are doing this now,” Opal kept walking, as Ember relented and sighed.

“But what will they think?” Ember looked over her shoulder at Opal, as she was still being dragged.

“I believe we have been over this?” Feather spoke up. “They are your friends, I doubt anything bad will happen. And didn't you mention that Talon had revealed himself to some of them?”

“Well, yes. That is true,” Ember agreed quietly.

“Well good. Also, is this the place?” Opal blinked as she looked over at what was left of the building that they had once called a tea shop. Sifting through the rubble and working on cleaning it out were a few ponies, and a familiar auburn colt was the first to spot Ember’s crew. He grinned and waved at them.

“Emerald! Hi there!” Tricks beamed as he trotted around the rubble that had been piled. His shouting drew the attention of the other ponies as they looked up from what they were doing. Ember waved back at them as her group spread out and looked among the ponies present, sighing very softly to herself.

“So, what brings your group to our corner of rubble?” A red stallion asked as he trotted up behind Tricks, watching Tricks quickly move over and hug Magenta. Ember sighed a little and looked down.

“I… need to talk to you,” Ember almost mumbled.

The stallion raised an eyebrow as he stopped a yard or so from Ember. “Me?” Ember shook her head slightly.

“Not just you, Leaflet. All of your family,” Ember looked up slightly, noticing he had a confused expression on his face, and sighed. “It’s a little personal, and honestly, I should have told it a lot sooner.”

Leaf nodded slightly, as he looked toward Tricks. “Hey Tricks, wanna go get everypony else?”

“Yeah, come on Magenta!” Tricks grinned and saluted Leaf before dashing back towards the building with Magenta following. Leaf turned back to Ember and looked her over.

“What's wrong?”

“Did you hear about the Hospital during the riots?” Ember asked as she sat down where she was. By now only Quicktail and Feather Dust had remained at her sides. Opal had moved closer to the building and was helping moving the rubble as Tricks and Magenta rounded every other pony up.

“I heard they managed to stay strong until Dame Fluttershy and her contingent came to relieve all the doctors and nurses who were tending to the wounded from before. And that they needed reinforcements all night. Other than that, some of the guards thought they saw a dragon there on occasion.” Leaf listed off, watching Ember as he spoke. She was fine until the mention of the dragon, which she winced slightly at.

“Was it really bad there?” Leaf asked softly.

“I could never understand war. It seems so pointless to me,” Ember looked up just in time to see other ponies trotting up to her. “I had served in the last griffin-drake war and this one night of conflict was far worse.”

“So, like the main gate to the castle with its body count?” Leaf asked, tilting his head slightly.

“Uh… sure? I guess?” Ember looked confused for a moment as Daring stepped forward.

“We had our own special guard there. Lord of House Star himself, Shiro Hoshi. I never did ask what his body count actually was.” Daring smirked.

“You wanted to talk to us?” Fine asked, standing next to Leaf and looking at Ember.

“Uh, yeah,” Ember said sheepishly, as she rubbed a hoof on her opposite arm. “How exactly to say this… That drake those guards thought they saw, was me.”

“Ha, good one. Are you telling me you know illusion magic?” Leaf chuckled. Ember shook her head slightly, as she grinned weakly.

“You were curious what Talon looked like, right?” Ember looked towards the building as Leaf and Tricks nodded curiously. “Is there still somewhere relatively hidden left in your tea shop?”

Leaf pointed over his shoulder back at the building. “Only place that's still really stable is the cellar. I don't think we’re all going to fit in there, no offense to your griffin.”

“Are you calling me fat, Little Leaf?” Quicktail smirked as Leaf looked up at Quicktail.

“Not as fat as some griffins I’ve seen! Seriously, Matteo wouldn't fit through our front door when we still had a building!” Leaf chuckled as Quicktail slid up to his side.

“So you know how Matteo got to be wearing Wonderbolt colors?”

“Er, yeah. Big bird was a part of my recruit training under Silver Lining,” Leaf leaned away from the griffin as he leaned closer.

“You were trained under Silver Lining himself?!”

“Er. Yeah?” Leaf was now pushing the limits of how far he could lean without falling over as Quicktail got closer.

“Ahem,” Ember cleared her throat loudly, making Leaf and Quicktail look at her. “You two can trade veteran stories later. I believe we are here for me?”

“Sorry dear. I can sit outside while you show them, since Leaf is calling me fat,” Quicktail looked back at Leaf. “And once you're not covered in bandages, we can see just how good your training actually is.”

Fine stood and turned towards the building and gestured for the others to follow. “Holly should still be down there, making sure everything is still in one piece,” Fine lead Leaf, Tricks, Ember, Daring, and Feather down into the cellar of the once fine establishment. The path to it was the first thing cleaned up and now they were just cleaning out the rest of the building so they could see what all needed fixing up.

Once downstairs, a good number of torches were lit up around the place, and a white stallion with a two toned red mane and tail was looking over a brewing vat as Fine stopped behind him. After a few moments of silence as the ponies gathered around, and getting the stallions attention, all eyes fell back onto Ember.

“Well,” Leaf started up. “What's the big secret?”

“This seemed so much easier to say this morning,” Ember looked at each of them, letting her eyes linger on Fine and Leaf more than any other. “I'm a changeling,” She winced as she heard a few gasps.

“So, wait, when you said you were that drake, you…” Leaf trailed off as Ember nodded. He blinked, then leaned in closer. “Prove it.” Ember blinked in response and took another look at all those present. She let her eyes linger on Fine and Holly Sweep, the white stallion, and took note they were still slightly shocked. Her eyes went to Daring next, and she merely shrugged in response, after that she looked down at Tricks who looked back up at her expectantly.

She sighed and in a flare of red fire, showed them her natural form. She kept her eyes closed as she gauged the shocked reactions of everyone in the room before slowly opening them. As she expected, Fine and Holly looked even more shocked, and Leaf had taken a step back, and was looking her over. As she looked at Daring, she saw her grinning and was about to say something before another pony in the room cut her off.

“That is so cool!” Ember looked down at Tricks to see him grinning. “Is that what Talon looks like underneath as well?”

Ember let out a sigh of relief and grinned as the others seem to relax a little. “Well, close. His crest and wing color are different. They are blue, instead of green. But otherwise we look nearly identical.”

She looked back at the others, and squeaked as she noticed Daring was a foot away from her and about to hug her. Ember tried to step back but found Daring to be much faster as she hugged Ember. “Thank Celestia you're normal! I figured you were secretly like, a dragon who hides with a pony illusion or something weird like that!”

“I… uhh… thanks? I think?” Ember squeaked out, her eyes wide as Leaf started to chuckle.

“Hey! After the crap I’ve seen these past couple months. You are normal compared to a broody alicorn, a living statue of a hippogriff, a snarky little lizard, and don't even get me started on a few days ago!”

Ember just blinked in response, unable to find words to that.

“Finally, a normal day!” Daring grinned and held Ember at arms length. “I’d kiss you, but I think you're griffin would get upset.”

“Hey! What about me?” Leaf moved up to look at Daring.

“Oh, you’ll be fine. Your wings might get a little stiff though,” Daring grinned towards Leaf, who blushed slightly.

“So,” Fine spoke up, as Daring let go of Ember. “This actually explains a few things about you. Like why you either avoid the parties I invite you to, or keep to yourself.”

“Yeah, I didn't want to get full too quickly.” Ember grinned sheepishly as she watched Fine. “You don't seem that upset.”

“Dear, after this last week? Nothing could really phase me. As Daring said, you could be a dragon and we’d still treat you as a family member all the same. Just be glad my brother-in-law isn't here, he’d be making jokes about ‘never having had a bug in his bed before’ or some horseapple like that.”

At that, Feather blushed slightly and coughed into a hoof fakely, which made Fine look at him for a moment and blink.

“He has, hasn’t he?” Fine just puts her hoof on her face and slowly slid it down as Feather blushed brighter and whistled innocently. “Stallions.”

“So is it true, Miss Haze,” Tricks spoke up, as he watched Ember look at him. “Can you become a dragon?” Ember nodded at that, and gently pushed Daring back with her magic since she was still close. Once Daring as far enough away, in another flare of fire the changeling before them was replaced with an emerald green dragon. She looked at each pony present, and noticed each one looked back at her in awe.

“That is so cool,” Tricks said with an awestruck sigh. Ember held the drake form for a few moments longer before retaking her unicorn form.

“Safe to assume that he is one as well?” Holly pointed to Feather, who was still blushing faintly. “With that reaction to what my wife said, I am merely assuming.”

“Yeah, I am. But I wouldn't tell Rainy or Mugsy…” Feather chuckled softly. “He would finally mark something off one of his many lists,” he grinned. “Just let me do it.”

“Okay, if you insist,” Holly chuckled, then looked at Ember. “So, does Magenta and Quicktail know?” Ember nodded, making him grin. “Good. And that mare you were with, that grey unicorn?”

“That's Opal. And yes, she knows too. She is a sibling, after all.” Feather nodded slightly, glancing over at Fine who was now floating up a tea pot in her magic.

“You and her drink tea, right?” Feather nodded. “Good, I am sure we all could use some and this would be a welcome break.”

“Yes. Do you need any help here?” Ember turned and started up the stairs out, the others soon following.

“Well, we could use some, but aren't you needed at the hospital?”

“After the last few days, I could use a break from the bodies.” Ember sighed as she opened the cellar door.

“So,” Feather grinned as he slid up next to Daring. “Are you the actual Daring Do from those novels?”

The mare blinked at him for a moment, then chuckled. “Do I seem short to you?”

“Nope!” Feather grinned as he moved over and poked Ember’s side. “How come you get to know all the famous ponies, and the only one I know that is famous is Discord!”

“And how do you know Discord?” Leaf asked as Ember laughed.

“I live in Ponyville. I was around when he returned and got turned to stone again by the Elements!”

“Wouldn't that mean you know the Elements of Harmony then?” Leaf looked at Feather questioningly as he blinked.

“Huh… That is right. Still not as cool as knowing the famous Daring Do!” Feather chuckled as he hovered near Daring. “After all this is over, You have to sign something of mine! Please?!”

“I could tomorrow if you bring me something.”

“Gah! Everything I have is at home! I Could probably fly there and back but I’d be gone the whole day!” Feather whined as they all spread out from the cellar. As they piled out, they saw Quicktail and Magenta already working on piling up and clearing away the rubble. Opal was helping too, she had somehow made it to the second level and was clearing away what she could. At least what she could reach with her magic and hooves anyway.

Daring chuckled as she watched Feather, “Well, it’s not like I'm going anywhere any time soon. And you know where to find me.”

“Opal! Be careful up there,” Fine shouted, as Opal just grinned down at her.

“Talon isn't the only one who can teleport. I’ll be fine,” Opal shouted back as she slid some debris into a corner. “Besides, the really unstable part is over there,” She barely pointed towards one of the other rooms.

Leaf quickly slid up to Ember’s side. “So, about those techniques that drakes know. Do you know any?”

Ember blinked and looked at him, “uhh, even if I did know some, why do you want to know?”

“Anything else to add to the spice of life with Daring Do!”

“Well, I doubt you have a forked tongue,” Ember smirked as Leaf shrugged weakly.

“Oh well, I can always ask Jin sometime. I bet he knows a lot of good techniques!” Leaf beamed, before squeaking and jumping away as Opal was suddenly by his side.

“You know Jinsong too?” She asked with a wide grin. “How is he doing?”

“Uh, good. How do you know him?” Leaf blinked, looking confused.

“Oh, not really that long of a story. But the author probably hasn’t written it up yet,” Opal shrugged and started trotting back to the building. “And before you comment; Leaf, yes I do know Commander Surprise and I am nothing like her.”

“Uh. Okay.” Leaf murmured softly.


Lode Stone looked over set of bronze armor before him that sat on one of those pony-quins. Standing to one side of him was a familiar blue stallion with a long somewhat wavy black mane, and standing on the other side of him, between him and the armor mostly, was Commander Amber Dawn.

“So, Lode Stone was it?” Lode nodded, glancing to Amber as he spoke. “The princess and I have talked, namely about you. So we,” he paused to point at himself, then to the blue pony, “know what you are.”

“Yes sir? You’re fine with that?”

“If you can be anything like Talon, then yes,” Amber nodded curtly.

“If your actions during the riots were any clue. Then I believe he could very well become similar to Talon.” The blue stallion nodded with a grin.

“Thank you, Steel Smith,” Amber turned to focus on Lode. “If I may see your natural form?”

“Er,” Lode paused as he looked around. It was just the three of them in the room, and there were no windows. “I guess if you already know.” In a flare of red fire, Lode let his pony-guise drop to reveal with natural form. He extended his dusty brown wings as he looked back at the stoic gaze of Amber. “It has been a long time since I’ve let that form drop.”

“Huh, your wings are smaller than Talon’s,” Amber looked over the changeling before him. “And you're certainly more toned then he is.”

“Well, sir. I do have roughly 20 years on him. I spent most of that time either on the run, or in various mining operations. As for my wings, I actually prefer to not fly if it can be helped. I feel better on the ground, or more preferably within it. I am a tunneler, and as such I am more in tune with the earth below our hooves.” Lode explained.

“That dusty brown color of yours goes well with the grey of your chitin, I must say.” Steel grinned widely, as he looked Lode over. “Even accents that red carapace of yours too.”

Lode glanced at him for a moment, “Er, thanks?”

“Hm. So you’re a miner, eh? Not a soldier?” Amber raised an eyebrow. “If that is the case, why’d you help strangers if you have no urge to protect the innocent?”

Lode focused back on Amber with a determined look. “Because in my twenty years on the run, I have seen ponies and griffins suffer. Be it from a lack of food, a home, or even bullies. Within the last decade, I have…” he trailed off, searching for the right words, and smirked once he found them, “grown a spine, so to speak. I got tired of seeing suffering, and, well. I guess deep down I feel like a soldier now and not the tunneler I was before.”

Amber actually seemed to smile at that, “If only Talon gave me a speech like that,” Amber pointed to the armor. “Take it home, wear it, make it fit. You can remain under your pony disguise, but the Commanders and those above, such as the Princesses, will know of what you are. We could definitely use more like you in the ranks.”

Lode grinned at that, “Thank you sir. I will try to do my best.”

“If I may ask though; why did you agree to this?” Amber narrowed a raised eyebrow at him. “If your life was nothing but mining, and you were going to the Crystal Empire after here, why stay on as a guard?”

Lode took a deep breath and relaxed as he assumed his pony-guise. “Ember explained it best. She was running from the pain, and I think I was too. Staying here with her has healed the pain of losing my family and I wish to remain a part of it. I feel connected again, in a sense. If I were to go the Crystal Empire, it would just be more running, and honestly? These hooves of mine are tired of it. If I can put my skills and knowledge to good use, even if it is protecting ponies, and staying near my family again, then I shall.”

“Glad to have you aboard Lode Stone. Report to the… er, remains of the courtyard tomorrow for your first assignment,” Amber saluted Lode, and he mimicked it to saute him back.

Author's Note:

And finally Ember talking to her second family. Fine Brew, Holly Sweep, Trick Step (All belong to Witching Hour), Leaf Wind, Daring Do (Concept) (All belong to Sylvian).

Oh, and Lode becomes a member of the Royal Guard, fancy that huh? Also wonder what that first mission is? *hint hint, nudge, Canterlot in Flames Chapter 13, wink*

Comments ( 5 )

Yes, Zol, what ever could his first mission be :trollestia:

Also, Daring's reaction will never fail to make me laugh! She's more worried about really odd things, than something as mudain as a Changeling turning out to be a family friend.

I mean, next to being married to Leaf, Changelings are nothing!

7378641
*Watches Magenta stare back.* "How could you?"

exultant righting

7379903
Thanks for the edits. And yes the parts with Daring were Sylvian's idea, mostly. So I just had to include them!

7449486
Wouldn't happen to be "A different perspective." Would it?

Unless its another I don't know about.

Login or register to comment