• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 500 Views, 67 Comments

From the Ashes: Ember's Story - Zoljen



A changeling's adventure in fleeing from a war between drakes and griffins.

  • ...
0
 67
 500

The Follower

“Now remember Witchy,” Ember said as she led the almost-teenage grey mare along. “You’re just watching today.”

“I understand, Ember,” Witching Hour grinned widely. “Still going to be cool to watch you work.”

It had been roughly five years since the griffin-drake war had ended, and about seven since Ember started work for Canterlot General hospital. Needless to say, her first week proved hectic as she adjusted to the insanely comfortable bed and getting up at the crack of dawn and being to work on time, but she had proven herself reliable and knowledgeable.

Today was ‘Bring Your Foal to Work Day’ and, while she had none of her own, she had taken a liking to Witching Hour and her brother, Leaf Wind. She visited the tea shop as often as she could, and became good friends with Witch’s family. They did have the best cookies, after all.

On her days off, she would often foal sit them. They would also visit her home, a single story house on the edge of the ‘lower class’ part of Canterlot. It only took her about three months of being under Faith Cure’s tender mercy to afford it, and a part of her was thankful when she finally got it.

She did require privacy occasionally, to stretch her wings out. But other than that, she enjoyed the small abode. She had the windows specially enchanted to just let in the sunlight, but block anyone viewing inside. Turns out that was a common enchantment among the higher class ponies, notably among the bedrooms.

“But, there is nothing wrong with looking the part, right?” Ember chuckled as she led the mare to her closet in her house. “One of these should fit you.” She opened the door to the closet and let Witching decide on which boring blue outfit to wear.

“So many choices!” She grinned at Ember who nodded.

“I know. I can just never get tired of the color blue,” she replied, adding to the sarcasm that was in the room. Witching elevated one close to her and looked it over, grinning and slipping it on with her magic. It was a little baggy, but looked good on her.

“So you just wear them before you get to work?” Ember nodded in response. “But what about them getting dirty?”

“Cleaning spell works wonders,” she chuckled, “You can just carry it if you want,” Ember started towards the door, already wearing her outfit. She glanced back to see Witching remove hers and fold it gently before placing it in her saddlebag.

“So, are you excited for today?” Ember asked as she opened the door and started towards the street, a bouncing Witch following.

“Am I!? I’ve studied and watched as many slides as I can to prepare!” Witch pranced about as she spoke, full of energy.

“Doing all that really doesn't prepare you. I mean, it helps so you know how to reset bones, close wounds, apply bandages, etc.. But it doesn't prepare you for the blood, or how horrific some wounds can be.” Ember held a hoof to her chest, sighing softly.

“Oh yeah. You’ve seen war wounds. Those can be gruesome,” Witch sighed softly. “Especially earning a few protecting those two griffins who helped you.” Ember nodded in response.

Ember had told her where she came from, and the fact she tended to both griffins and drakes. She failed to mention what she was, as she felt she didn't need to know. She also told her of the trip to get here, omitting most details aside from the nice ponies she met.

The pair trotted along towards Canterlot General. “Today should just be a check up day. Where we check up on ponies who have been hurt doing their jobs. So hopefully nothing comes up, you’re still a little young to see some of the worse stuff.”

“Bah, I'm old enough!” Witch pouted as Ember grinned at her. They entered Canterlot General and made their way over to the reception desk. The stallion behind the counter grinned to each of them.

“I thought you didn't have any foals, Miss Haze.” The stallion asked, glancing to Witch.

“Oh, I don’t, Light Gaze.” Ember grinned at him. “I mentioned to Fine Brew what today was, and she happily let me bring Witching Hour here. So she’ll need a visitor’s pass for now.”

“Oh, do we have a new doctor on the way?” Light Gaze grinned as he fumbled around on the desk, keeping an eye on Witch as she nodded.

“Yup, I'm going to have one of the best teachers help me, so I can help out other ponies when I'm old enough!”

“And be able to keep your brother in top shape,” Ember chuckled softly as Light Gaze produced a visitors pass with Witchings name on it.

“He gives me plenty of practice already, with how klutzy he is.” Witch grinned widely as the other two laughed.

“Yup, that he will. Anyway, come along, little nurse.” Ember gestured her to follow, leading her to one of the inspection rooms of the clinic.

“So, who is your first patient?” Witch asked, looking up at Ember as she opened the door.

“A fine feathery friend.” Ember stepped in and pointed to the average sized griffin currently laying on the exam table, holding an arm. “Well, Razor Claw, where does it hurt the most?” Ember walked in calmly, stepping aside as she glanced to Witch, who squeaked at the sight.

Ember chuckled, gently sliding Witch in with her magic, then closing the door as the griffin looked down at her, then to Ember.

“Along the forearm.”

Ember sat and looked at the arm, “Extend it.” The griffin straightened the arm out with a wince, Ember leaned in close, looking it over and gently poking at it with a hoof.

“What are you doing?”

“Examining it. Griffins are resistant to magic; you’d throw off any scans I’d do.” Ember stated matter of factly. “So, the best way is to poke, and it looks to just be sprained. Do anything strenuous lately?”

“Well, I did take a rough landing a few days ago. Figured I’d did just that.” The griffin screeched as Ember set a hoof on the arm.

“Well, you certainly did a little more than sprain it. I suggest you stay off of it for at least two days, maybe three.” Ember leaned back, glancing at Witch. “Third cupboard, bottom shelf, care to hoof me a roll of athletic tape?”

She blinked, then looked up, opening the door and leaning in, floating out a roll to Ember. She took it, unrolled a little, and focused on it a moment before tying some around the griffins wrist. He just watched with an eyebrow raised.

“And now your…?”

“Giving you a dose of painkiller so you can walk to get a sling. Walking may be a bit hard for a day, so I suggest gliding, nothing too high though.”

“But I thought you said magic wouldn't work.”

“Not directly, but this will. I prefer the more subtle stuff really.” She grinned up at him. “Trust me, Razor Claw. So, how is that embassy going?”

“It is going well, construction is going smoothly with the help of magic.”

“Good, I assume you fell while working on it?” The griffin nodded, as Ember chuckled softly. “I still wonder how those with wings could fall off ladders.”

“It's a short distance!”

“And you have wings!” Ember shot back, “Just keep them spread.” Ember finished wrapping the arm and tied it off. “And keep this on till tomorrow. Should be good for a normal brace tomorrow. Our clinic has one that would fit you.”

“Thank you Miss Haze.” The griffin nodded and slowly made his way out of the room, closing the door behind him. Leaving Witch to look at Ember, slightly confused.

“So, what was that with the tape?” she asked, gesturing to one.

“I can enchant bandages, tape, or other similar stuff to provide healing over time.” She smirked. “I’m not as skilled as Faith Cure or others with direct magic. So instead I enchant things to provide it over time.”

“That is cool that you can do that.” Witch started towards the door. “Should we get the next file?”

“Yeah, we should…” She trailed off for a moment, looking at the door. She blinked and focused, putting up a small barrier in front of Witch, making her bump into it and fall back onto her plot.

“Hey, what was that…” She was cut off as the door slammed open, a pegasus stallion fuming and glaring directly at Ember who only looked at him flatly.

“Can I help you sir?” she asked calmly, despite the snarl she was getting.

“Yeah, you can tell me why you told my marefriend was pregnant! We have never had - MMPH!” He was cut off as a red aura closed his mouth.

“And there is a foal present, sir.” She gestured to Witch, who was just staring at the pegasus wide eyed. “As for your marefriend, she also said she never remembered having an encounter either. Did you and her indulge in the cider a bit much, one night?” She tipped her head forward and slightly to the right as she released his mouth from her magic.

“Uh… maybe once or twice.” He grinned sheepishly with slightly reddening cheeks.

“Then there is your answer. You two probably got drunk and, ahem, did it. Personally I’d be glad that you have a foal on the way with someone who cares for you, and you care about.” She grinned knowingly.

“How can…” He trailed off.

“Doctors intuition.” she smirked. “Treat her well, and she’ll treat you well.” She started to usher him out of the room, glancing back to Witch. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” she squeaked. “That was scary. How did you know he was there?”

“I se… er, heard him coming.” she coughed slightly. “Ahem, anyway, next file.”

Author's Note:

Just a little slice of life moment five years after Ember gets signed on at Canterlot General. Also, Teen Witch is Witching Hour's.