• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 4,857 Views, 80 Comments

Without Someone to Love - The Abyss



Princess Luna is fed up with her life. She fears that her position of power dissuades possible romantic interests, and she's all but given up on finding love. That is, until she accidentally brushes against the dream of none other than Discord.

  • ...
19
 80
 4,857

What Have I Done?

Princess Luna trudged through the corridor leading back to her bedroom, her head hung low. She had just been able to escape from the Night Court, excusing herself with a lie that she wasn’t feeling all that well. Even though she’d only been in there for a couple of hours, if she had to listen to another pony complain about how they thought the taxation laws were unfair, she was going to lose it.

Hearing the familiar clanking of armor from the guards, she barely lifted her head to acknowledge their presence, even after they had greeted her with their usual, “Good evening, Princess.” Luna grunted back in response and walked between them, making them step aside to make room for her.

As she walked away, she heard them mutter behind her just like they always did.

Her ears flicking back to lay flat on her head, she closed her eyes and sighed. She was already dreadfully tired. She had a minor headache, her throat was rather dry, and her eyes tingled in that weird way whenever she didn’t get enough sleep.

Luna had struggled to get back into her old hobbies, but the friends she had used to pass time with had long since passed away. Flying by herself wasn’t all that fun, and even though she had tried to drag her sister away from her duties to fly with her, she was never really successful. While reading had sated her desire for some variety for a short while, it never gave her what she truly wanted. Sitting around on the couch or on her bed certainly wasn’t helping, so she had given up on that.

Using her magic to open her bedroom door, Luna slammed it shut the moment she got through. Her room was dark, save for the light of the moon she had raised a few hours ago. Luna shed her royal garments and collapsed on her bed. She grabbed her biggest and fluffiest pillow then tightly pulled it against her chest. Luna curled up and as she closed her eyes, she curled a wing over the pillow and let her mind roam.

She imagined that her pillow was a tender, loving stallion. He pushed his head up under her chin and nuzzled her, then whispered the phrase that she hadn’t heard from a special somepony in ages, I love you, Luna. She bit her lip and sighed. Cracking open her eyes, her fantasy shattered when she saw nothing but her pillow in her grasp.

As an alternate way of snuggling popped into her mind, Luna flipped around so that her back was pressed up against all the pillows she had at the head of her bed. She’d done this so many times it had become second-nature to her. She let a smile form on her face as she tucked the blanket behind her back, then as she draped a corner over her forelegs, she curled them up so that it simulated a pony holding her close.

Once again, she closed her eyes and let her mind wander. Luna was tempted to use a spell to warm the pillows behind her to help make her fantasy real, but she was simply too exhausted to bother. If she put too much power into the spell, there was a small chance of her setting her pillows aflame.

She fluffed up the blanket and folded the corner a few times, then placed it back over her curled forelegs. Now it actually felt like somepony’s hoof. She used her magic to place a pillow on the exposed side of her head in an effort to simulate somepony laying their head on hers, but it just wasn’t the same. Her cold, lifeless pillow was nothing in comparison to snuggling with a real stallion.

“Gah!” Luna lifted her head from the sheets and grabbed the pillow behind her head, then chucked it across the room. She huffed once and crossed her forelegs, letting her ears flick back. With a groan of defeat, Luna laid her head back down on a pillow, pulled the sheets up past her shoulders, then let out a long, deep sigh of regret.

As Luna began to doze off, she lit her horn and cast the spell that let her access the dream realm. Luna opened her eyes and found herself not in her bed, but in the dream realm that she frequented nearly every night. Wondering what her lovely little ponies were dreaming about, she pranced along through the dream realm, touching upon the dreams of those she held close. She saw the familiar aura of her sister, so she flew to the portal and peered down into her dream.

Celestia was laying on her bed, shoveling numerous slices of cake into her mouth, pausing in between cakes to drink copious amounts of chocolate milk. With a giggle, Luna pulled her head back and flapped her wings. She looked into the dreams of a few ponies that she did not know, then stumbled upon the dream of none other than Scootaloo. Wondering how she was faring, Luna looked through the shimmering portal.

Scootaloo was racing against her idol, Rainbow Dash. She was meters ahead of her, a wide grin on her face as she raced around the last turn. Rainbow was catching up to her, and if Luna wasn’t mistaken, Rainbow had a look of worry on her face. “Afraid you are going to lose, hm?” she asked herself, a grin forming on her face. She silently rooted for Scootaloo, and right before Rainbow was about to pass her up to win the race, Luna lit her horn and sent a gust of air towards Scootaloo, pushing her further ahead of Rainbow. Scootaloo rocketed across the finish line with Dash hot on her tail.

Scootaloo slowed down just enough for Rainbow to catch up. As Luna watched, Rainbow wrapped her arms around Scootaloo and held her close, then crashed into a thick, puffy cloud. Luna’s eyes went wide and she lifted a hoof to stop this nightmare from going any further, but to her amazement, both ponies emerged from the cloud giggling. Scootaloo jumped on Rainbow’s belly and wrapped her arms around her neck. Rainbow pulled her into a tight hug and nuzzled her. “I’m so proud of you, Scootaloo!” Luna heard Rainbow Dash say. “I can’t believe you beat the fastest flier in all of Equestria: me!”

“Me too!” Scootaloo replied, her tone full of joy and excitement. “So does that make me the fastest flier now?”

“Totally!” Rainbow stood up and flared her wings. “Now come on! Let’s go tell our friends who’s the boss now!” At that, the two of them flew out of sight.

Luna sat back and chuckled. “Silly filly... I sure hope she attains that dream one day.” She pulled her head out of Scootaloo’s dream and flew back up to the ledge that she had come from. Luna folded her wings and pranced down the path, wondering which dream she should poke her head into next.

Then, out of the blue, she heard someone groan. She paused, her ears flicking up. Luna looked all around her, her head on a constant swivel as she waited to hear the sound again. It had come so quickly that she wasn’t able to place where it came from. Luna took a deep breath, sat down, and closed her eyes. She let out her breath and listened.

“Ughhhh...” came the same sound again.

“I... that sounds oddly familiar...” Luna looked up to the right and saw an odd-looking portal. All of the portals to dreams held a shimmering oval for her to open wide with her magic, but the one she was looking at was definitely not shimmering. It was dark, metallic, and it hummed with a powerful magic. Her curiosity piqued, Luna flapped her wings and flew through it.

She emerged into some hallway. The floor was made up of broad pieces of wood that held too many splinters to count. The walls held no decoration, and at the end of the hallway lay a small window with light brown curtains. Luna looked to the right and saw a single door in the wall. She heard someone snoring on the other side of it, then after she heard them grunt and mumble something incoherent, Luna pushed the door open and found none other than Discord.

Cocking her head to the side, she hesitantly took a single step inside. She lit her horn and tried to look into his dream, but for some odd reason, she wasn’t able to do so. She was able to feel that he was having a nightmare, but that was about it. “D-Discord?” she asked softly.

Discord grunted again and kicked the sheets to the end of his bed. He rolled over onto his side and curled up much like a snake would, then covered his face with his paws. He shook his head, moaning, “No, no, no! Anything but that!”

Luna trotted over to the bed and and laid a hoof on his shoulder, then shook him as hard as she could. Woah, he’s heavy! He barely budged from her actions, so she grabbed him with her other hoof and shook him harder. “Discord! Wake up!” she yelled in his ear. Discord woke up a second later, sitting upright in his bed. He blinked slowly and rubbed his eyes, then licked his lips. Luna sat quietly by his bed, looking up at him with her head cocked to the side. She hesitantly lifted a hoof and cleared her throat.

Discord’s head whipped around to look at her. The bottom of his left eyelid twitched twice, then he gasped loudly. “Luna!” He felt around for his sheets, then when he didn’t feel them, he broke eye contact with her and saw them at the end of the bed. He reached out and yanked them back up to him, covering himself up like a mare who just got discovered wearing sexy lingerie. “I’m not decent! And what are you doing in my bedroom?”

“Um, I...” Luna glanced off to the side and looked back up into his eyes. “I was making sure everypony was having a nice dream and I heard someone groaning.” She cocked her head to the side so she could scratch behind her left ear. “I didn’t sense anyone having a nightmare, so I knew something was off the moment I heard... well, you.” She pointed a hoof at him, then let it fall back to her side. “I don’t normally hear sounds from dreams until I’m actually in one, but, well...”

“I am Discord.”

“Yes, be that as it may, I still found it odd that I was able to hear you. When I found you here, you were moaning and groaning, muttering things that I could not make out. I feel it is my duty to watch over the dreams of those in Equestria, ensuring that nopony has to deal with nightmares. I know firsthoof how... dreadful they can make one feel.” Her voice went soft at that last little bit as she remembered the Tantabus and what it had put her through, night after night.

Discord relaxed, letting the sheets fall down to his lap. “And so you thought you could make me feel better by breaking me from my nightmare?”

Luna smiled softly and nodded once. “Mhm.”

“Huh... Nopony’s really, uh...” Discord struggled to find the right word. “Oh, come on! What’s the word I’m looking for...” He snapped his fingers once. “Ah, there it is! Nopony’s been there for me in such a way. T-thank you, Luna.”

Luna’s smile deepened at that. “You are most welcome, Discord. Now, if I am to be perfectly honest, and while this may sound a little... strange, I am glad that I had found you in the midst of your nightmare. It is very strange for me to not sense those sorts of things, and, uh...” She blushed and rubbed the back of her head, then smiled sheepishly. “This is the strangest thing that’s happened to me all week long.” Discord chuckled in a way that Luna recognized: he had just thought of something chaotic.

“Oh ho ho... this was the highlight of your week?” Discord laughed and leaned down, pressing his forehead up against Luna’s. “I’ll just have to fix that, then!”

Luna sat perfectly still, showing no fear. “Uh, hehe... what do you mean?” Her voice trembled, revealing what she was truly feeling.

“To me, it sounds like you aren’t having enough fun! I’ll see you first thing tomorrow morning!”

Luna’s eyes went wide and her ears fell flat on her head. “W-what? No! Don’t come!” she managed to squeak out. Luna closed her eyes to blink, but instead of finding herself in Discord’s bedroom, she found herself back in her bed. She was soaked in a cold sweat and she panted softly. Luna sat up and shook her head, wondering if all of that had just been a dream.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted something out of place. The moonlight framed a pure white lily centered right in the middle of her bed. A tiny, folded note sat next to it. Her eyebrows furrowing in confusion, Luna lit her horn and grabbed both the flower and the note. She levitated the flower to lay on her left hoof, then unfolded the note.

See you when you wake up! -D she read. The note fell from her grasp as her eyes glazed over.

“What have I done?”