• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,656 Views, 123 Comments

No Heroes: Beyond the Everfree - PaulAsaran



Fluttershy takes it upon herself to cure a friend, but to do so she must acquire a rare ingredient. Accompanied by a few others, she sets out to the lands forgotten by history, the lands beyond the Everfree.

  • ...
3
 123
 1,656

07 – Doubt

Perhaps she was being silly, but Rainbow Dash was reasonably sure that Fluttershy was far too trusting when it came to their new ‘friends.’ Thus did she stand before the tent flap, bracing herself for whatever was to come. The shadows of the trees waved across the roof of the small dwelling, and the sound of a crackling fire touched her ears. If Fine, Nye, or Pinkie were out there, they weren't moving or saying anything.

Fluttershy watched from the other side of the small tent, quietly brushing her mane and not appearing the least concerned. “Rainbow, just go outside.”

Gritting her teeth, Rainbow slowly pushed open the tent flap. Nothing burst through to grab her, no spears or swords thrusting up to meet her. Not at all comforted, she bent down and peered out.

Fine Crime sat by the fire, his eyes closed and his horn shining. Sunlight filtered through the canopy and danced along his back, making his mottled brown coat seem more vivid and colorful. He cocked his head in her direction as she crawled halfway out of the tent, but said nothing.

Her gaze turned a half circle, taking in the entire camp. The other two tents remained standing. The mess of leaves all over the floor were untouched, giving no indication of a struggle. As far as she could tell, no thestrals were hiding in the limbs above.

She didn’t relax, but she did mutter, “It’s safe, Fluttershy. I think.” She glared at Fine, half expecting him to smirk or something, but his expression remained stoic and his eyes didn’t open.

Crawling the rest of the way out, she trotted over to him. “What are you doing?”

He raised a hoof in a swift motion, indicating she should stop. She cocked her head.

The area just in front of her shimmered, and as she watched a bunch of sticks and fallen limbs formed around Fine in a floating circle. Her jaw dropped as he slowly moved them into a pile and set them down near the fire. At last he opened his eyes, breathing a long sigh as he did. “Practice.”

“Huh.” Rainbow rubbed the back of her head. “I’ve never seen you practice magic before. Thought you never did.”

He shrugged before tossing a few of the sticks into the fire by hoof. “I was never a particularly strong mage, so I don’t do it much, but it helps to pass the time.”

“Right.” She turned a circle, taking in their surroundings. “Where’s Pinkie and Nye? Still sleeping?”

“Pinkie’s exploring. Promised to stay close by.”

What?”Her wings snapped open. “You mean Pinkie’s out there alone? With those bat ponies all over the place?”

Another shrug, another stick in the fire. “If the thestrals were a threat, they’d have killed us in our sleep.”

She stomped, face going red and teeth grinding. “And what about the other things out there, huh?”

“Pinkie can take care of herself.”

“Can take—“ Rainbow threw her hooves up high then turned for one of the tents. “I’m going to check on Nye, then I’m going to look for her.”

“Nye’s at the ponds with Fang.”

“Oh, come on!” Now she launched into the air, already turning towards the ponds. “You left the two of them alone together?”

Fine nodded. His blatant lack of concern ground on her every nerve. “Fang wanted to make breakfast, and he offered to carry the pot. She won’t let any of us near the ponds without her supervision, y’know.”

Fluttershy poked her head out of her tent. “Oh, that was sweet of him.”

“What is wrong with you ponies?” Rainbow flew into the jungle, worry and anger warring for her attention. Unfortunately, these two things also distracted her from paying attention to the thick foliage, and before she knew it her wing got caught on a hanging vine. She barely managed to avoid crashing to the jungle floor, stopping her descent with the ground inches from her muzzle.

“Rainbow! You okay?”

She sighed and brought her face up to glare at Nye, now standing on a steep rise a few feet ahead. Fang was watching from nearby with a curious expression.

Rainbow’s face went red with embarrassment; so much for impressing these guys with her flying skills. She landed and glared at them both individually. “Nye, don’t ever head out here like that again!”

He cocked his head. “It’s not like I was alone, RD.”

She thrust a hoof towards Fang, who deftly climbed down the incline at a speed that was begrudgingly impressive. “No, worse, you went with somepony we have no reason to trust yet!”

“Oh, please.” Nye made his slower, more cautious way down. “If Fang wanted to hurt us, she’d have done it—”

Her growl cut him off. “In our sleep, I know. I still don’t trust her.”

“She’s right there, you know.”

Indeed she was. Rainbow abruptly realized that Fang was by her side and glaring daggers. She stepped back, face flushed yet again but anger not at all subsided. “Yeah, I’m talking about you, Fang. Don’t think I trust you bat ponies to play nice.”

Fang responded by baring her noticeably pointy teeth and hissing. “The feeling’s mutual, bird-horse.”

“B-bird—” Rainbow sputtered, but any attempt to respond was drowned out by Nye’s uproarious laughter. If her eyes could ignite fires, he’d be a pile of ash.

“Bird-horse! I’m going to remember that one!” He kicked at the leaves, his laughter continuing unabated.

She lowered her head and snorted. “Keep it up, bub. I might find myself in the market for a new coltfriend.”

The laughter died so fast, one would think a claw had wrapped around Nye’s throat. His ears folded back and he lowered to the ground with a pleading look. “I… er… didn’t mean it? I was just poking fun.”

Wow, she’d really scared him with that one. Part of her felt guilty, but she turned her attention back to Fang. The thestral peered back with a scowl. “I’ve got my eye on you. No more wandering around alone with him.”

A smirk slowly formed on Fang’s lips. “What’s the matter, Miss Fastest Flier in Equestria? Worried I might steal your piece of meat?”

The air caught in Rainbow’s lungs, her cheeks lit up, her wings popped open. She just stood there, trying to breathe, trying to speak, trying to think. Fang broke out in laughter; Nye, thankfully, remained silent. After a while Rainbow managed to hide her face behind a leg.

All she managed to say was a quiet “Back to camp. Now.”

Fang’s laughter faded as she walked off.

“Rainbow?” Nye nudged her shoulder. “You okay?”

“Images. Head. Getting them out.”

His next question came with great hesitation. “Does the idea bother you that much?”

She grimaced; why was he asking this now? Her wings remained stiff as boards and this wasn’t helping! “N-no. Just embarrassing. Now c-can we please not talk about it?”

She heard him tap his hooves together. Even with a hoof over her eyes, she could easily envision his anxious face.

“I know I’m on thin ice, but… you’re really cute when you’re flustered, you know?”

If her wings weren’t already like flagpoles, they’d have tensed. “Not helping!”

Hooves touched hers. She offered only marginal resistance as he pulled her legs from her face. He had a warm smile. She really liked that smile, but it didn’t improve her situation at all.

“Breathe, RD. Think of boring and ugly things. Rarity droning about dresses; a Twilight lecture on magical theory; helping Scootaloo with her math homework; the Butterfly Migration.”

That last one did it. Slowly, gradually, her wings returned to her control and folded. The fire in her cheeks faded to a mild warmth and her heart ceased its jackhammering against her ribs. She heaved a long sigh. “Thanks—”

His muzzle was in her ear, his voice low. “You and me in the shower.”

Fwoomph.

“—Nye!” She shoved him back with enough force to send him tumbling on his back, the pot he’d been hauling spilling its watery contents across the ground. “Way uncool!”

He burst into laughter, then slapped his large belly. “C’mon, Rainbow, it’s not like this is a big turn on.”

Actually – and she would never have admitted it out loud in a million years – it kinda was. She jerked away from him and rubbed a hoof over her eyes with a groan. “You’re a pain in the flank, Nye.”

“Yeah, but you love me.”

She glowered at him for several seconds, then sighed. “Yeah, I guess I do.” The way his face lit up was precious. “But don’t think you’re getting off easy after that whole ‘bird-horse’ thing.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” He climbed to his hooves and retrieved the pot. “Whelp, gotta get more water. Pinkie wanted to try some new—”

“Pinkie!” Rainbow hopped into a hover. “I forgot all about her!”

Nye’s expression turned deathly serious in an instant. “Did something happen to her? Is she okay?”

“I have no idea. She ran off into the jungle on her own, and there’s nopony to watch out for her!”

Nye’s worry faded to a tired look. “Rainbow, Pinkie’s okay. If Fine thinks she can take care of herself, I’m inclined to believe she can take care of herself.”

“But what if she isn’t, Nye?” Rainbow flew a small circle, chewing on her horseshoe and casting fretful glances at the trees. “Pinkie’s not a fighter or anything like that. What if she runs into a manticore or some other monster? I’ve gotta protect her!”

Nye turned away with a sigh. “You go ahead and fly circles around the jungle in a panic. I’ve got to get water for breakfast.”

She paused, her mind battered by indecision. If she went to find Pinkie, then Nye would be out here alone. She abruptly regretted making Fang leave, but she wasn’t about to call for the accursed thestral after the scene they’d just made. But if she stuck by Nye, then Pinkie…

Who was her higher priority?

Although the thought left a pang in her heart, she realized that it was Nye. Would sticking with him be like neglect for Pinkie? Was that unfair to her? Did that make her disloyal to her friend? Was it worse to be disloyal to Pinkie rather than to her coltfriend?

She dropped to the floor in a sitting position and grabbed her head. “Headache…”

“You okay?” Nye observed her from the top of the ridge, the concern plain on his muzzle.

“I’m… fine.” She flew after him, moving slowly but trying to keep her head high. “I’ve just got a lot on my mind, that’s all.”

“You’re overdoing it,” he said as she landed by his side. “You know you don’t have to look out for everyone at the same time, right?”

She disguised her surprise with a cocked eyebrow. “What makes you think I have that on my mind? Maybe I’m just trying to think of the best way to punish you later.”

He gave her a chaste peck on the cheek. “Because I know my marefriend. Love ya, Dash.”

For once, she ignored her blush. It’s not like anypony—

“Aww, that’s so cute!”

“Pinkie!” Rainbow launched, nearly cracking her skull on a low limb as her friend fell into a fit of giggles. “Don’t sneak up on me like that!”


It turned out that Fang’s special talent – for thestrals’ cutie marks functioned the same as those of ponies – was cooking, particularly with fruits. She and Pinkie spent the morning discussing baking and comparing recipes, each fascinated by the ‘alien’ ingredients the other used. Nye had chimed in on occasion with questions, his flare bartending hobby coming to light and thoroughly confusing Fang. She couldn’t comprehend how somepony could make a career out of mixing drinks.

Rainbow watched their interaction from beside the tents, eating her fruit-based stew with a scowl and adamantly refusing to acknowledge its tastiness. She couldn’t believe they were being so… friendly with a potential enemy. Had they forgotten how Fang and her cohort had attacked them yesterday? Were they not aware that Polar was probably bringing a whole army of thestrals down on them right now? And yet they chattered and joked and amused themselves as if they were close compatriots.

And Fine Crime. He was so at ease the bucker was actually taking a nap.

“Does it really bother you that much?”

Rainbow forced her scowl into something softer before turning to Fluttershy. “Yes. Yes it does.”

Her friend – her real friend, not some thestral pretender – cast her gaze towards the others. “I know you’re still upset about yesterday, but don’t you think you should give her a chance?”

“Yeah, sure,” Rainbow grumbled. “Whatever.”

“Rainbow…” Fluttershy bowed her head, face hidden by her mane. Rainbow could imagine her sad expression. She had to admit, it stung.

At last, her friend spoke up. “They have every right to suspect us.”

“They attacked us first.” Rainbow managed to keep her voice from rising. Somehow.

“Did they?” Fluttershy gave her a calm, forlorn gaze. “A thousand years ago, we forced them out of Equestria.”

Rainbow groaned and set aside her half-eaten stew. “You’re talking about ancient history. I’m talking about yesterday. They aren’t the same.”

“And I’m looking to the future.” There was no extra force in her words, but somehow they caught Rainbow’s attention. “This is the first time ponies and thestrals have met since Nightmare Moon was banished. Don’t you think we should try to make it a peaceful event and foster trust?”

How was it that, without even raising her voice, Fluttershy managed to instill a little guilt in Rainbow’s head? She chewed her lip and turned to gaze at Pinkie, Nye and Fang. Her easygoing friend was living up to her Element, creating laughter and joy as she always did. She made it look so easy, with her big, fake moustache and streamers. Where did she even find room to pack those things?

Well, Pinkie was Pinkie.

And, Rainbow suddenly realized, she was the perfect pony to have around for meetings like this one. It was, after all, an historic moment. Even Rainbow recognized that much. She had no doubt that Pinkie, just by being herself, would break ground on the road to a peaceful reunion of the races.

And Rainbow saw only fangs and anger.

She bowed her head with a long sigh. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I guess I don’t make much of an ambassador. It’s just that… I don’t trust them yet.”

Fluttershy smiled and gave her friend a little nuzzle on the shoulder. “It’s okay, Rainbow. You don’t have to, but that doesn’t mean you should reject them outright.”

“I know. They’re just so… ‘unknown.’ ” She noted Fluttershy’s quizzical frown. “I mean, the last time something ‘unknown’ showed up, we ended up slaves and half the world got destroyed.”

A whimper, so quiet as to almost be unheard, trembled from Fluttershy. “T-true. I’m just glad we didn’t hurt anypony before Fine’s team rescued us. But this isn’t the same thing, Rainbow.”

“Maybe not.” She watched with peering eyes as Fang opened her mouth wide to let a curious Pinkie inspect her teeth. “Even so, I won’t be turning my back on these bat ponies just yet.”


“Are you sure you don’t want to stay the night with us?” Pinkie asked, her tone pleading. “You can share my tent.”

Fang shook her head with a serious frown. “I’ve got my own place to sleep out near the ponds. I’ll be fine; it’s not like I haven’t already been out here for a moon.”

Fine Crime, who sat by the fire scribbling in a thick notebook, raised his head. “How long’s a moon?”

The thestral raised an eyebrow. “Uh, duh, from one full moon to another.” She cast her gaze upwards, directing it towards something Rainbow couldn’t see, and shivered. “What do you guys use to tell time?”

“Calendars,” Nye replied off-hand, pouring himself a fresh cup of stew. Fine had gone back to scribbling in his notebook.

Pinkie’s shoulders hung low and she pouted. “I don’t mind sharing. You don’t have to sleep alone.”

“I’ll be fine.” Fang turned from the camp and trotted towards the treeline. “I’ll see you guys in the morning.”

Rainbow watched her go, a small frown on her face. She’d hardly said a word to the thestral since finding her and Nye in the jungle. Fluttershy had been giving her hopeful looks all day. Now she sent Rainbow one of sad disappointment.

Looking to distract herself from that expression, she turned to Fine. “What are you writing now?”

He didn’t look up. “Story ideas.”

She glanced around at the dark jungle all around them, not sure where to take that. Fluttershy wasn’t staring at her anymore – a definite plus, that – but now she needed to think of something to say. “Umm… anything good?”

“Maybe.” He set his quill down and smiled up at her. “Jungle equals inspiration. Thinking about some sort of adventure. Maybe when we get back I’ll contact A.K. Yearling and ask for some advice on the genre.”

Rainbow’s head whipped around to him, her eyes wide at the mention of her favorite author. “I know you’re, like, the Archon, but can you do that? Just ask her out of the blue for writing advice?”

He chuckled as he closed his notebook. “If I were you? No. But I’ve got two foallitzers. I think she’d at least send me a polite ‘no.’ ”

Her jaw dropped. “You won a foallitzer?”

“You didn’t know?” At her dumbfounded expression, he continued, “Sorry, I thought the information might have circulated already. Yes, I have two of them under my birth name.”

“Huh.” She sat and took this new information in. “That’s kinda cool. I bet you and Twilight talk a lot about books.”

“It’s come up on occasion,” he replied with a chuckle.

“So…” She sidled up to him and elbowed his ribs. “When you send that letter, maybe you two will meet? And, uh…” She winked. “Maybe I could come along?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Are you going to fangasm all over her if you do?”

Fluttershy gave a quiet eep. Her face was hidden behind her mane by the time they looked towards her. Pinkie, sitting beside her, was doing a poor job of hiding her mad giggling. Nye did better, apparently finding his stew fascinating, but his smirk gave him away.

After some blushing consideration, Rainbow decided to let that one go. She also did her level best to keep the excitement from her voice when she said, “I’d just like to meet her. Maybe get her autograph?”

Another chuckle. “We’ll see.” He stood and stretched, then turned away. “I’m going for a little walk.”

She blinked. “A walk? Now?”

Fluttershy looked up. “In the middle of the night?”

Nye merely waved. “Have fun.”

“Oh oh oh!” Pinkie bounced over the fire. How her tail didn’t end up a torch, Rainbow had no idea. “I’ll go with you!”

Fine raised his hoof. “No thanks, Pinkie. It’s a brainstorming walk.”

She smiled and shook her head. “Come on, Fine, brains don’t come from stormclouds.”

There’s an appealing image,” Nye said with a wry smile.

“Be back in a bit.”

Rainbow watched his retreating form, then looked to the others. Fluttershy was on her way to their tent while Pinkie dug through a bag for some fruit. Nye simply stared at the fire, stew finished.

Her eyes lingered to the jungle all around them. The whole place seemed to loom over her, the trees like angry sentinels and the vines acting as nets to snare her. A shiver ran down her back, accompanied by a strange fear. She turned and trotted after Fine.

He came to a stop when she was beside him and gave her a questioning look.

“I think we should stick together, Fine. You sure it’s a good idea to head out there by yourself?”

He studied her, then glanced back at the light of the camp. He leaned a little closer and spoke in an unassuming tone. “Why don’t you stay with Nye tonight?”

She tensed, her wings trembling with the urge to snap open. “What does that have to do with what I just said?”

“More than you might think.” He smiled and nodded to the woods. “This place has you on edge, and I know you view yourself as the strongmare of the team. Who’s the one pony you most wanna be with right now?”

She scowled. “I came here for Fluttershy.”

“Maybe so, but it’s Nye you’re the most worried about.”

Rainbow peered at him. “Uh-huh. And who’s gonna share Fluttershy’s tent and keep her safe?”

“Pinkie.”

The answer came so smoothly, so readily, that Rainbow doubted her ears. His ordinary expression suggested complete seriousness. “Really?”

He tilted his head. “What did you expect me to do, suggest I sleep with Fluttershy?”

“Well… yeah.”

His eyes widened slightly. He glanced back to the camp. Was that a hint of pink in his cheeks?

The scowl slowly found its way back to Rainbow’s lips.

“No.” He jerked his head away from the camp. “That’s not even remotely a good idea. I… wouldn’t want to intrude on her privacy.”

“Aren’t you a good guy?” she asked, sure to let a hint of mockery into her words. “It ain’t happening. I stay with Fluttershy, you stay with Nye. Got it?”

His brow furrowed as he examined her face. “First you don’t trust the thestrals, and now you don’t trust me?”

She winced; what was it with her and trust these days? “It’s not that. It’s just… It wouldn’t look good, y’know? A mare and a stallion in the same tent and all that.”

“You’re a couple, Rainbow. Nopony’s going to find it odd.” He turned and marched for the jungle. “And don’t bother lying to me like that. The only pony who’s a worse liar than you is Applejack.”

“Hey, that’s not true!” She stomped, wings flaring. “I can lie just fine. Why, I bet if I wanted to, I could… could…” She stared at the darkness where he’d disappeared, then facehooved. “Why am I boasting about something like that?”

Realizing that there was no point in following Fine – with his skills, she’d probably never find him – she trotted back to the campfire. Nye was the only one present. He was hunched over, examining something small in his hooves. Upon hearing her approach, he hurried to put it in a pouch of one of his bags.

“Whatcha got there?”

He shoved the pouch closed and set it aside. “Nothing. Just checking to see how much we have left in the spice stockpile.”

“Right.” She gave herself only a second before choosing not to bother with the obvious dodge. “Pinkie and Fluttershy hit the hay?”

“Eeeyup.” He stretched and gave a yawn so exaggerated it would have made Pinkie proud, then grabbed his pack and headed for his tent. “And I better be doing the same. See you in the morning, RD.”

Rainbow stared after him for a moment. She knew he was up to something, but chose to let it drop, opting not to add even more things for her to worry about. “G’night.”

She studied his tent, then the one she shared with Fluttershy. Fine’s words echoed in her head, prompting her to look at the stallions’ tent once more. Why did it appear so tempting?

Her line of thinking brought some images to her mind that she rarely tolerated outside the privacy of her bedroom. Images of slipping into the tent unannounced, of curling up next to an unsuspecting Nye and nipping his ear. And the things that might follow—

Oh, Goddess, her wings were threatening to pop open again! She wished her brain would stop entertaining such thoughts and give her some rest. As much as she didn’t want to entertain the fantasies in her head… she really wanted to entertain the fantasies in her head! But no, not like this, not here. Her first time with Nye needed to be… better.

So Nye was out. Absolutely, clearly, without a doubt out. She turned for the tent she shared with Fluttershy, but couldn’t take another step. Nye or no Nye, she was in a rut – poor choice of words! – and she wasn’t about to release that kind of pressure with Fluttershy lying only a few inches away. Invasion of privacy, indeed.

“Dang it,” she whispered, trotting towards the jungle. “Dang it, dang it, dang it.” Her wings quivered with anticipation.

When she stepped into the thick darkness of the trees, another thought came to her; Fine was out there. Fine Crime, the sultan of sneak, the king of spies, the president of ‘never-knew-I-was-there.’ Worse, he could tell a lie with more smooth believability than Discord, so she would never, ever be able to determine for certain if he’d seen her or if she’d just imagined that sound in the woods…

This was killing her!

Her only option left was by far the least appealing; find a way to cool off. The thought of going unsatisfied had her grinding her teeth, but the risks were too great, so she set out for the ponds. With any luck she could go for a swim and let the chill waters ease her mind. It dawned upon her that she was defying her own rule about traveling in the jungle alone, but the quivering between her legs made it hard to care.

What might have been a short journey left her even more frustrated than ever. She could barely see in front of her muzzle and her one attempt to fly over an obstacle rewarded her with getting tangled in vines for nearly ten minutes. The uneven terrain sent her sprawling on more than a few occasions, leaving her with numerous bruises and scratches. Before long her desires had been replaced with a biting anger and a determination to make it to the ponds just for the sake of spiting the environs.

At last she escaped, stepping out into the moonlight not far from the water’s edge. Her victory came with a hint of malice, and a bitter understanding that she’d have to do it all again to go back.

At least she wasn’t horny anymore.

With a snort, she marched to the edge of the pond. She lowered her head to lap up some water, but paused as a curious sound met her ears. It was like a trill, but with a certain purring quality to it. It reminded her of a certain exotic bird Fluttershy had cared for once. She almost concluded that it was exactly that… until her eyes caught sight of the source.

Fang sat on a high ledge several ponds over, her gaze turned up to the night sky. It was hard to tell with the distance and the shadows, but it appeared that her chest expanded between each call. Though her mouth was closed, Rainbow was certain the trill came from the thestral. She turned her head skyward and realized that Fang was staring at the half-moon.

The sound stopped. Rainbow looked to find Fang staring at her, her eyes shining like beacons in the night.

They gazed at one another for some time, not a sound uttered between them. Rainbow couldn’t help feeling unnerved by those eyes, eyes a pony should not have. Yet she didn’t dare fall back into the forest. She couldn’t tell Fang’s expression at this distance or with those glittering eyes, but she felt that backing off now would be like retreating.

Rainbow Dash does not retreat.

Slowly, cautiously, she bent forward to sip from the pond. Fang made no motion as she drank, only watched. Rainbow took her time, thinking about what her next move would be. While she was confident in her ability to take the mare in a fair fight – and half expected Fine Crime to be watching this entire scene, ready to back her up – she didn’t want to get into a brawl just yet. Fluttershy’s words from earlier echoed in her mind…

Wings opened just as she raised her head from the pool, and the thestral launched from her high perch. Rainbow braced for a fight, but Fang’s approach was too slow and leisurely for that. Shoulders hunched and wings tensed, she backed away to give the thestral room to land.

Fang touched down gently, concern and hesitation on her face. Yet she stood tall, matching Rainbow’s combat-ready posture, and the two sized one another up. To Rainbow’s studious eye, the strong muscles were apparent beneath Fang’s thick frame. She really did have a body like Applejack’s. It surely didn’t help her aerodynamics. If the two were to get into a fight, Rainbow would need to go airborne; she’d be at a clear disadvantage on the ground.

Neither pony made a move. They merely held one another’s gaze. Rainbow realized that one of them would have to speak at some point… but what to say?

The words came out without thought: “What were you doing?”

Fang blinked, one of her pointed ears flicking. Slowly, she relaxed her battle stance and sat. “I was Calling.”

Curiosity ate at Rainbow’s mental armor. She thought on this for a few seconds before sitting down as well. “What does that mean?”

“Well…” Fang looked to the moon once more. “I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to tell you. I guess… it’s like praying. We call to the Mother of All Night and ask for her blessing.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow; she’d never heard Luna referred to quite like that. “Uh-huh. So does she answer?”

Another moment of hesitation from Fang. “I… think I should keep quiet. The Elders might not like me talking about this with an outsider.”

“Oh.” That was all Rainbow could think of to say. They both stared up at the moon. She wondered if her presence made Fang as nervous as hers was to Rainbow.

Fang shifted. Her ear flicked again. “S-say, can I ask a question?”

“I guess.”

“Okay.” Fang swallowed, her gaze remaining locked with the moon as if she feared what might happen if she turned away. “Do they know what happened to… the shadow?”

“The shadow?” Rainbow gave her a quizzical look. She didn’t look back. Seconds passed as she tried to make sense of the question.

Then it hit her. “You mean the Mare in the Moon?”

Fang at last looked at Rainbow, her gaze puzzled. “Is that what you call her?”

“Yeah.” Comprehension slowly dawned upon Rainbow. “Wait, you mean you don’t know?”

“Know what?”

“About Princess Luna.”

As soon as the name was uttered, Fang bowed her head, ears flat against her skull, and raised her forelegs so they covered her face with hooves forward. She kept the position for about a second before returning to her normal sitting position. “Of course I know who she is.”

Rainbow’s eyebrows rose. “What was that?”

“The royal submission?” Fang repeated the motion, once again holding it for about a second. “It’s been in practice for an eternity. Don’t you have something similar for the Sun Tyrant?”

“Sun Tyrant?” Rainbow gawked at her. “Celestia isn’t a tyrant!”

Now Fang’s lips dropped to a scowl. “She exiled her own sister to the moon so she could rule on her own. What else would she be?”

“Only the nicest, most benevolent pony that ever existed!” Rainbow paused to reconsider that claim. “Okay, Fluttershy might have a wing up on her in the niceness department, but it would be a close race.”

The thestral’s tone shifted to disdain. “How would you know? You hear a pretty speech of hers?”

Rainbow countered with heat in equal measure. “Uh, because I’ve met her? Numerous times. She’s pretty cool.”

Fang’s attitude shifted to surprise in an instant. “Wait, you’ve met her? Like, for real?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, I know it’s not common for a pony to be chummy with a princess, but when you represent an Element of Harmony and had a hoof in rescuing her sister—”

A shaggy hoof touched her lips. Fang’s jaw had dropped and her eyes looked like they were ready to pop out of their sockets. “What do you mean, ‘rescuing her sister?’ ”

She pushed the hoof down. “Didn’t Fine or Pinkie or somepony tell you? Luna’s home. She’s co-ruling Equestria with Celestia.”

Fang continued to gape for so long that Rainbow started to grow uncomfortable. At last, that gaze turned up to the moon. “But that’s… not possible.”

Why did this seem so astonishing to her? “Sure it is. Heck, Nye’s her best friend.”

Slowly, the thestral looked back at her. Her shock hadn’t faded one iota. “You lie.”

“Nah, I’m a terrible liar.”

Rainbow realized that she might be treading dangerous waters. She suddenly felt dumb for not recognizing the importance of this conversation, and so picked her next words carefully. “Exactly one thousand years after her exile, Nightmare Moon escaped. My friends and me faced her and cured the evil from her with the Elements of Harmony. That’s why the Mare in the Moon is gone; Luna’s not there anymore.”

“No.” Fang shook her head firmly, her scowl returning. “That’s impossible. Why would Luna come back to Equestria and not call on the thestral tribes? We’ve been worshipping her for a millennium. She wouldn’t ignore us like that!”

Rainbow bit her lip to keep from blurting out the first thing – probably offensive –that came to mind. She glanced around, hoping Fine Crime really was eavesdropping on this conversation. Making words good not her strength!

No Mane Archon appeared from the shadows to save her. Gritting her teeth, she struggled to think of what to say to the thestral that now glared daggers at her for reasons she couldn’t comprehend.

At last she came upon something she hoped would suffice. “Why do you think the Mare in the Moon disappeared?”

Fang leaned forward, mouth opening to speak. She stopped, eyes shifting, then sat back. Slowly, her scowl shifted to uncertainty. “I… I don’t know. Some say they do, but who are we to believe?” She turned her gaze to the moon once more. “I wish she’d talk to us. Things would be so much better if she’d just say something.”

She spoke of Luna as if she were a goddess! Rainbow came very close to refuting that idea, but stopped herself before the words could fly out of her mouth. If the thestrals had formed some kind of religion around the Mare in the Moon…

That was dangerous territory she didn’t want to go anywhere near without proper backup. Where the hay was Fine when she needed him?

But this was definitely something to bring up with him. And Nye. Both of them could write a letter to Luna at any moment. If the thestrals wanted to speak to their ‘goddess,’ would it be wise to give them the means to do so? Fang almost made it sound as though there was some kind of internal fighting going on.

A sudden sense of dread hit Rainbow. “H-hey, we aren’t stepping into some sorta civil war, are we?”

Fang turned to her. Though her expression remained calm, the concern in her eyes gave Rainbow a sinking feeling.

“I think you’d better go back to camp now, Miss Dash.”

She turned and flew away without another word, soon disappearing among the trees.

Rainbow stared at the dark jungle across the pond, a hole in her gut. Even now, she could see Fang’s eyes glinting in the dark, ever watchful. She felt cold in the open air, and the thought of those eyes on her made her uncomfortable. Finally, she turned and started for camp. She took the path slowly, thinking on everything she’d just learned and trying to put the puzzle pieces together. Rainbow was smart enough to know that she’d discovered some important things, but she had no idea what it all meant.

Only one pony remained awake at camp. Fine Crime sat by the fire, scribbling in his notebook yet again. He acknowledged her arrival only with a nod, his eyes not leaving his work. She considered snapping at him for not being there when she needed him, but knew it was pointless. After all, Fine couldn’t know everything.

“Rainbow?”

She paused, hoof reaching for the flap of her tent.

“Sometimes the best action is none at all.”

Her ears perked. She turned to stare at him.

He just kept writing, the shadows dancing across his face. They made his mottled markings seem to come alive. At that moment, he struck her not as a pony of flesh and blood. No, he seemed more akin to a ghost. Except not pale, transparent and flighty like the ghosts she’d heard of.

His head shifted. One red eye met her gaze, the light reflecting like a tiny flame within his iris. He had the smallest of smiles, a conniving, confident and smug thing. Perhaps it was meant to tell her something, but all she could think of was this stallion sneaking through the trees, silent as death, watching her every move and hearing her every word. No, Fine wasn’t a ghost.

He was a shade.

She retreated into her tent without another word and buried herself in her sleeping bag. She kept close to Fluttershy that night, trying not to think of what Fine would be like if he were on the wrong side.