• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,648 Views, 123 Comments

No Heroes: Beyond the Everfree - PaulAsaran



Fluttershy takes it upon herself to cure a friend, but to do so she must acquire a rare ingredient. Accompanied by a few others, she sets out to the lands forgotten by history, the lands beyond the Everfree.

  • ...
3
 123
 1,648

24 - Exorcism

Smoke covered the temple in a dark haze. Nye stared at it with a blank expression, his heart heavy and mind numb. So much for waiting it out here. What had possibly possessed him to go up instead of down? He glanced back at the flames that rose up in the early afternoon sky, completely blocking his path back to Tidal. Oh, right.

Fluttershy began to cough and hack. Grimacing, he trotted to a clearing just beneath the temple wall. Carefully, he dropped to his knees and let her slide off his back. He helped her rest against the worn stone, carefully avoiding the burns. “Hold on, Shy. We’ll get you cleaned up and pretty as ever.”

In truth, it wasn’t all that bad. None of the burns seemed severe. They’d probably heal up just fine in a week or so. That didn’t change the fact that the poor pegasus looked like a wreck, though; Rex hadn’t been particular about where she landed after he struck her. By the time Nye had found her, she’d escaped the flames on her own, but the smoke had done a number on her.

She hacked a bit more before casting a weary smile his way. “D-don’t let Rainbow hear you calling me pretty, Nye.”

He returned the smile, doing his best not to wince at the red burn on the left side of her face. “Oh, as if she’ll ever forget how I was crushing on you back in the day.”

“You crushed on ev… every…” Coughs took her over, and Nye’s heart twisted along with her expression.

He stood quickly and looked around, gathering his bearings. “Hold on. I’ll be right back!”

As soon as she was out of sight, his smile faded. He couldn’t believe they were letting Pinkie, and Pinkie alone, fight Rex. Pinkie wasn’t a fighter. They were supposed to do this together, to give one another a better chance, and share the potion. That accursed pony had gone and took it all for herself!

How he longed for Rainbow to be here. She would have been the best candidate by far to fight that demon. Granted, he would have been worried out of his mind, but was that any worse than the current situation?

He reached the waterfall at last. Taking out one of the now-empty storage bottles, he filled it up and made his way back. As he did, he went over everything he knew. Fang and her unit was still below with the foals. Sera was somewhere in the city, once again trying to rally allies. Candid and his unit were out playing hide and seek with Rex's terrified puppets on the southern edge of the flame barrier. Rainbow and Fine were out of commission, Fluttershy hurt pretty bad. And Pinkie? He could only hope she hadn’t been killed already.

How were they supposed to turn this around? Could they?

His heart sank steadily. Nothing came to mind. Not a thing. If Pinkie couldn’t keep Rex busy for long enough, they’d lose. And even with Zecora’s potion, what chance did she have?

“Nye?”

He blinked, abruptly aware that he’d almost walked right past Fluttershy. He turned to her with a sheepish smile. “Sorry. Here, maybe this will help.”

She drank nearly half the bottle in one go, lowering it from her face with a gasp. “Thanks, I needed that. You take the rest.”

He shook his head, starting to push it back—

The two ponies jumped, the bottle falling to the dirt as a shriek pierced the sky. Nye whipped about to stare into the flames, but to his frustration he could see nothing. That sounded like…

“Oh my goodness, Pinkie!” Fluttershy moved to stand, but Nye gently forced her back down. “N-Nye, we have to do something.”

He pinned her by the shoulders, but his mind was elsewhere. Specifically, it was in that raging inferno below, with Pinkie and that monster, Rex. He wanted to help, he needed to, but… but it would do no good to try now.

Another scream made him cringe. His eyes began to burn, and it had nothing to do with the smoke. “We can’t do anything,” he whispered through clenched teeth. “We… We can’t.”

“Don’t say that!” Fluttershy struggled against him, only to cry out when she banged her burned leg against him. “Nye, there must be someth—” She doubled over in a fresh coughing fit.

“You’re in no condition to help anypony.” He rubbed tears from his eyes and turned to stare at the jungle. “And me? If we go, we die.” He could just make out the sight of Rex disappearing down the mountain towards Tidal, a pink something carried in his hooves. “We can’t, Fluttershy.”

Her hacking came to an end. When she spoke, her voice was coarse. “What happened to th-the Nye Stone I just saw fighting thestral warriors just so he could h-help?”

He closed his eyes and sat heavily. “I thought we had a chance then. I really did.”

She whimpered and whined. “Maybe… Maybe I can talk to Rex. If I give myself—”

He whipped around to glare at her. “No!”

Fluttershy was halfway to her hooves already, her face twisted in pain. “I have to do something. I can’t let him kill Pinkie.”

He shoved her back down once more. “He didn’t react well to that kind of thing last time, and you wanna try again? No, Fluttershy.”

The pegasus sobbed, her tears forming paths along her ash-smeared cheeks. “That was because I… I tried to bargain. M-maybe if I ask nicely, or… or begged, then he’d let her go.”

Nye snarled and loomed over her. “You don’t get it, do you? This isn’t Discord we’re dealing with. We’re not in Equestria. Rex is evil, and he doesn’t care about diplomacy or friendship or compromises. You can’t reason with him, you can’t use persuasion against him. You go beg at his hooves and he’ll laugh while finishing Pinkie off! That stupid mare just went and sacrificed herself for us – for you – and I am not going to let you make that sacrifice be in vain because of some Luna-be-damned sense of nobility!”

He jerked back, his own words slamming into his head. Good goddess, what was he doing, snapping at her like this? He looked down to find Fluttershy curled into a ball and weeping, her face hidden behind her mane. The sight was another twist of the knife in his heart.

“Oh, Fluttershy. I’m sorry. I just… I just…”

She wasn’t even listening anymore. Nye bit his tongue and turned away. Had he not felt a near-desperate need to keep her safe, he might have fled from her sobs. He stared out at the fires burning below. How much of the jungle had been taken? It appeared to be spreading wildly out of control. Did Rex even care? Would Tidal be wiped out in cleansing flame?

Those flames would be at the temple before too long. They would have to move. If only he knew a place they could go. They’d never escape Rex, not now. And poor Pinkie…

He looked up to the sky, through the roiling smoke and clouds. “Celestia, Luna, Cadance, if you’re listening, we could really use some help right about now.”

He waited quietly. He heard nothing, nothing at all. Not that he’d expected anything. He just felt so tired.

He started to turn back to Fluttershy, but paused. His head turned gradually back east, over the smoke and fire and trees, to the jungles beyond Tidal. Back towards Equestria. His heart began to race at what he saw. “Fluttershy? Is that normal?”

For only a moment, his world turned white. A familiar voice, one not heard in months, arose behind him.

“Hello, Rocky. Did I miss the fun?”


Another hoarse cry.

Leave her alone. Please.

Rex ran his tongue along the fresh slice along Pinkie’s leg, taking in the taste of her blood. He let Fine taste it too.

No. No more.

Rex chuckled. He lifted Pinkie’s head by the mane. She offered no resistance. One of her eyes had turned black and puffed. The other opened halfway to stare at him. She groaned something unintelligible. It might have been Fine’s name.

Mercy. Rex, please.

“Come now, Pinkie. I need a proper scream. Won’t you scream for me? I need to hear that delightful sound again.”

His talons grasped her jaw. He began to squeeze. Pinkie whimpered, fresh tears streaming down her already moistened face. She couldn’t even raise her legs to offer some token resistance; Rex had broken them already.

Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.

Claws began digging into the flesh of her cheeks. Blood began to trickle down.

The shadows on her face moved.

Rex blinked, his grasp loosening as he examined her. Sure enough, the shadows of her face had shifted. Almost as if… Gasps from the crowd arose as the shadows moved again. Rex looked up, and even Fine could feel the chill that ran through his body.

The sun bounced between two clouds as if it were a ping pong ball.

Rex dropped Pinkie, his head whipping around frantically. “No. Nonono, it can’t be.”

All Fine wanted was to go to Pinkie. Dread filled him as he watched her from the corner of his disobedient eyes. She seemed so very, very still.

“I won’t let this happen. He can’t just show up out of the blue and… and…” Rex shook his head forcefully, scowled and turned from Pinkie. Fine fought feebly against his mental bonds just for the hope of looking back.

Rex broke into a gallop, his wings spreading wide. He saw objects – benches and tools and rubble – floating as if gravity had decided to look the other way. He flapped once, twice, jumped—

A giant flyswatter rose from the ground, slapping him back down with a loud whack.

“Going so soon, Rep?”

Rex cursed, clawing and scrambling out from under the giant flyswatter. He pushed his head out as a flash of light filled his vision. He sucked in a sharp breath at the sight of the one creature he truly feared.

Discord floated just above the ground, his paw and claw set at his hips. Though he smiled, there was a maliciousness in his expression to go along with it. Fluttershy, her body whole and untarnished, stood at his side, and Nye at his other.

Fluttershy screamed – “Pinkie!” – and rushed to her friend’s side, the stallion not far behind. Discord watched them go, his brow furrowing even more at the sight of the fallen, bloody pony.

Rex struggled frantically to free himself. He pulled his last hind leg loose and looked up to find those misshapen eyes locked with his own. Were Fine paying any attention, he would have noted how he could feel the fear rippling through the abomination’s mind. Neither of them noticed how the thestrals were abruptly bowing.

“D-Discord. How nice to see you.” Rex forced his lips into a toothy smile. “I’m afraid my home isn’t ready for guests.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that. The place just needs a bit of a pick-me-up.” Discord’s tail rose. Rex braced.

Snap.

Rex was lifted up from behind. He flailed wildly as a giant, white, three-fingered glove held him aloft by the tail. “Hey! Let me go, you freak!” He charged his horn and fired a small beam at the draconequus.

Discord caught it between two talons and promptly used it to clean his teeth. The ominous nature of his gaze remained intact. Once satisfied his teeth were appropriately shiny – half-blinding Rex with a quick flash – he tossed it sideways. It stuck into a nearby marble wall like a dart in styrofoam.

He then grinned and settled himself in a large, plush blue lounge chair. He steepled his paw and talon and floated closer to the struggling Rex. “You know, normally I’d be a bit limited in what I can do. Those do-gooder royal siblings won’t let me have as much fun as I used to. I’ve rather grown used to it.”

The hand flipped Rex into the air. Before he could recover, he whacked his head on something hard, then hit the ground. No, not ground. He looked around and realized he was stuck in a glass box. His pulse quickened as he banged fruitlessly against the walls. “No, you can’t do this! I was almost back in power! You’re ruining everything!”

Discord’s face appeared in the glass, like a reflection. “Oh, put a sock in it.”

Snap.

A sock lodged itself within Rex’s mouth. He reached up to grab it, only to find his hooves covered in a semi-transparent… gunk. He realized quickly that the glass floor had melted, holding him down like a sticky wad of glue.

Discord flashed into existence in front of him, wearing a blue suit and orange tie with red polka dots. He settled some horn-rimmed spectacles on his face and began to flick through papers on a clipboard. “Now then, let’s review, shall we? First, you killed thestrals for no reason. You took over the city I freed from you all those centuries ago, undoing what may have been one of the very few instances of real good I did back in those days. You possessed the mind of one of the most important ponies in Equestria.”

He lowered his glasses and studied the seething Rex with a dull expression. “Well, at least he’s better than how you looked last time.” He went back to his notes. “Where was I? Ah, yes.”

The clipboard snapped in two from his grip. Discord pressed his face to Rex’s, eyes literally blazing white fire and steam rising from his nostrils. “You tried to turn my best friend into a sex slave and mercilessly tortured one of her friends to within an inch of death.

The glass shattered, the sound of it piercing Fine’s eardrums. The shards formed into a giant rubber mallet that slammed into his back and sent him crashing to the ground in a heap.

Suddenly, Fine could feel. His legs, his back, his face, everything hurt. The combination of old damage from Pinkie with the new damage from Discord was almost debilitating! No wonder Rex was having hell fighting back.

Until now: Rex reared his head up, screamed a battle cry and sent a massive beam of constant energy at his opponent.

For a moment, Discord was hidden behind the bright red energy. Then, the energy seemed to ‘stop,’ like time itself had frozen. A second later, it dispersed into bubbles, flies with toast for wings, flapping hands, fireworks and at least a dozen cotton candy clouds.

Discord stood precisely where he’d been before, his expression as hard as ever. “Is that really the best you can do? I suppose being trapped under a pool of water for a few millenia would make it hard to develop anything new, but still, I thought you'd have at least tried experimenting with all that free time.”

A snap of his fingers produced a toilet, which Rex was promptly chained to. Fine lost all feeling once more as Rex regained control and thrashed against his bonds, spitting curses as he did. “Guardian tribe! My thestrals! Hear me and obey! Kill that imposter!”

Not a soul moved to follow his orders.

Discord leaned over the dragon spirit, who recoiled as if stung. The draconequus’ eyes retained those violent flames from before. “I’m not the only one upset with you, Rep.”

“My name is Rex!”

“And since I am supposed to be reformed, it is only appropriate I act with goodwill… and let somepony else have a look at you.”

The earth rumbled. With a great grinding, a pillar of stone rose behind Discord, reaching well above the surrounding buildings. Discord floated back, never taking his eyes off his captive, before clapping his hands twice. As the sound died, a column of white light engulfed the stone pillar. When it faded, the thestrals let out shocked, joyous cries, for standing upon the rock was a familiar alicorn of midnight blue.

Luna did not appear surprised by her abrupt arrival. On the contrary, her stance was regal, her wings spread wide, and her eyes shined like steel knives. She wasted no time, and when she spoke the sound crashed through the air like a living hurricane.

Rep of Catmandu, Servant of the War Criminal Catrina the Grandiose! You are accused of attempting conquest of the thestrals, my chosen ponies. For this, you have incurred the wrath of the night!

Rep stared up at Luna, all struggles ceased. “I take it that’s Princess Luna,” he muttered in a dazed manner.

I can think of a great many things I would like to do to you, demon. But today, I yield the field. Discord!

The draconequus appeared at her side in a flash of light, his flaming eyes still set upon Rex. He was calm, but the threat in his gaze would have given pause to even the demons of Tartarus. “Yes, Princess?”

Her voice lost its volume as she spoke. “You can remove this pestilence from my Mane Archon, can you not?”

“Why, yes. As a matter of fact, I can.”

“Good.” Luna sneered. “I’ve spoken to Celestia. Once you have freed Fine, you have twenty-four hours of freedom. As long as you and the effects you produce remain within a twenty-five mile radius of the temple, you are free to do anything you want.” She gave Rex a cold smile. “And I do mean anything.”

“No.” Rex renewed his struggles as Discord approached, the Avatar of Chaos rubbing his claw and paw with a malicious grin. “No! You can’t do this! I am a god, you wretched thing!”

Still screaming, Rex rose into the air. With a flash of light, a massive strainer appeared beneath him.

“Sorry, Fine. This might be a tad uncomfortable.”

That proved an understatement. Fine got the opportunity to feel his body squeezed through dozens of tiny holes, coming out like so many noodles, only to be knitted back together on the way out. As he went through the massive metal tool, he could feel an intense pressure vacating his mind, sucked out like so much dung down the pipes. When he was at last whole again, he promptly collapsed, entire body aching.

He looked up to find that Rex had become little more than a nebulous, green cloud. It swirled and writhed, apparently held within the strainer like some hideous baking ingredient. Discord appeared over it, a wicked grin on his face. “You heard her, Reppy Boy: anything I want. Let’s go have some fun.”

Another flash, and both had disappeared. It all happened so fast, Fine could only gape. Rex was gone. Fine was his own master once more. But he felt so… empty.

“Fine?” Cyan eyes appeared before him, framed upon a dark blue face. “Are you alright? It’s over now.”

He stared at Luna, taking in her words. It was over. Over. And he was—

Fine shot to his hooves with a jerk. The motion almost toppled him, but he splayed his legs and caught himself. Luna reached out, perhaps to steady him, but he was brushing past her before she could lay a hoof on him. His heart slammed into his throat as he approached the still form of Pinkie. Knees wobbling, throat tight, he shoved his way past Nye without apology.

“No…”

The pony lay on her back, coat stained red with cuts and gashes beyond counting. Her twisted legs were splayed out at unnatural angles and the hole in her stomach gaped, revealing things he'd only seen in his feverish, violent visions of the past. She breathed, but only barely. Her eyes were closed, lips slightly opened as she mumbled in her unconsciousness. Even in sleep, her face was twisted with pain.

“Oh… Oh, Pinkie.” He dropped to her side and pressed his forehead against her, tears already dripping off his cheeks. “I d-did it to you again. I did it again. Why did I have to do it ag-gain?”

Fine had felt so much in his life. Fear, loss, disappointment, adoration, perhaps even love. What he felt now dwarfed all of them. He wrapped Pinkie’s head in his forelegs and sobbed. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

Somepony was tugging at his shoulders. He shrugged them off and held her all the tighter. He couldn’t leave her now, not now, not after what he’d done. She was going to hate him when she woke, and he deserved it. Why couldn’t he stop Rex? He should have been able to. She didn’t deserve to… at his…

“Oh, Goddess, p-please, no.”

He didn’t notice when something touched the back of his head. As he fell into darkness, he hoped he would never come back out.


Fluttershy’s eyes burned with fresh tears as she watched Fine slump over, Luna’s sleep spell rapidly taking hold.

“Somepony, find him a bed,” the princess commanded, though her words were soft. A pair of thestrals carried the poor stallion away. Fluttershy was tempted to follow, but couldn’t bring herself to do so. In the war for her attention and concern, Pinkie ultimately won over.

Beneath the blood, tangled mane and bruises, Pinkie was as pale as Nye. Fluttershy fought back her tears with everything she had, just so she could squeeze out the question. “Princess, isn’t there s-something you can do?”

Luna, her brow furrowed, examined the earth pony closely. Her horn had the dimmest of glows. Seconds ticked by, every pony and thestral watching with a quiet intensity.

At last, Luna spoke, her voice firm. “I have not my sister’s talent for healing magic, but I will do what I can.” She turned her attention to the surrounding thestrals, who immediately took on the pose of royal submission. “Who is the local leader?”

Sera hurried to the front. Her face was a twisted mess of emotions, ranging from disbelief to awe to horror. “I-I am, Holy Mother. Elder Serrated Tongue.”

“Fetch your best healers, Elder,” the princess commanded as she turned back to Pinkie. “I will focus my attention on the most life-threatening of her injuries, while your healers tend to the less distressing. Please hurry, we haven’t much time.”

“A-as you command, My Lady.” Sera was off, barking orders.

Nye stepped forward, his face drawn. “How can we help?”

Luna’s horn began to shine, her magical aura forming a thin sheet over the hole in Pinkie’s stomach. She spoke in a tone that demanded no disobedience: “Stay out of the way.”

Fluttershy’s lip trembled as she watched. She couldn’t take her eyes away from that hole. Out of all the wounds, that one looked by far the worst. It was hard not to look away from... were those supposed to be her intestines? If Pinkie survived, would she—

Her chest constricted before she could finish the thought. Fluttershy covered her eyes and sobbed. Pinkie could die, she could actually die. Why did she have to go up against Rex on her own? Fluttershy should have been there, should have helped. And now her friend, her dear friend…

Somepony caught her in a hug. She recognized Nye’s voice hushing her. “It’s okay, Shy. Pinkie’s strong. Sh-she’ll get through this.”

If only his voice hadn’t cracked. His words might have helped then.

A hoof touched her shoulder, and she looked up to find Candid observing them, his eyes downcast. “Come on, you two. Let’s give the Night Mother and the healers some room.”

Nye broke the embrace and nodded, but Fluttershy didn’t move. She turned her gaze back to Pinkie and rubbed her eyes. “I d-don’t want to leave her. We should be here for her.”

“Fluttershy…. He’s right.” Nye held her hoof gently. “The best thing we can do for her is not be here.”

“B-but… But…” Fluttershy allowed the stallions to lead her away, but didn’t take her eyes off the sight. Soon Pinkie was lost as more thestrals moved in to assist the princess.

They were brought into a small room, far enough away that they couldn’t hear anything, but in a position where they could still see the healers and Princess Luna. Fluttershy sat at the door, chewing her hoof and trying not to break down. Nye sat close to her, but kept his eyes on the floor. The two said nothing, though Fluttershy constantly whined and moaned, struggling to keep her emotions in.

Memories of Pinkie flitted through her brain. Her failed attempt to throw Fluttershy a “Welcome to Ponyville” party really stood out; it had taken an hour for them to coax her from under the couch. Or the time Pinkie helped her get over Gilda’s visit to Ponyville, sitting with her and telling jokes until she finally smiled. Getting her to ‘sing’ while her voice was ruined by Poison Joke, being lectured for bringing parasprites into town, dressing as a chicken just so Fluttershy wouldn’t be scared when she came by on Nightmare Night.

Sitting on the floor of Sugarcube Corner, playing with Pound and Pumpkin Cake.

Oh Goddess, the Cakes…

“Hey, come on.” Nye nuzzled her shoulder as she wept. “It’s going to be okay. Luna won’t let us down.”

Fluttershy pressed her hooves to her face and sobbed. “W-what am I g-gonna tell the C-C-Cakes? The twins, th-they’ll be—”

Nye pulled her into a crushing embrace, tucking her head down to his shoulder. “None of that. None of that, Shy. She’ll be okay.”

Fluttershy just kept crying. She could do nothing else.


Fine came to with a start. He got about halfway to a sitting position before the pain registered. He fell back onto the bed with a groan and covered his aching head.

“Finally awake, I see.”

Uncovering one eye revealed Princess Luna standing by the window, watching him with a small smile. Fine took in her appearance, trying to push his thoughts through the combined walls of sleepiness and pain. Then, abruptly, he jerked to a sitting position once more. He instantly regretted it, his entire body protesting viciously.

“Luna, Rex, he’s—”

She shushed him with a wing to his lips. “It’s alright, it’s over. He’s gone, Fine.”

Fine’s eyes crossed as he took in the feathers, then refocused on her. “Gone? Gone where?”

Luna’s smile became a smirk and she chuckled. “The last I saw, Discord had turned him into chewing gum and was trying to make the world’s biggest bubble. Without magic. While smacking.”

It took several seconds for her words to pierce the veil of his brain. When they did, he broke into a grin. “He’s gone. Oh, thank… er… well, you, I guess.” He winced as another jolt of pain ran through him. “I feel like I was squeezed through a strainer.”

“You were.”

“Oh, right.” Fine flexed his legs and shoulders. He shook his mane.

Then his memory came back in full, and a ball of ice grew around his heart. “Pinkie! Where is she? Is she okay?”

Luna’s gaze turned impassive in a heartbeat. He saw that change and almost broke into tears.

But the princess rested a hoof on his shoulder. “Miss Pie’s injuries were grave indeed. The healers and I did what we could to mend her body, but… I honestly cannot say if she will survive. If she does, it will be only due to her own will.”

This did not ease the pain in Fine’s chest. He stared at his hooves, a tightness in his throat. “I remember doing it. All of it. I… She…” He raised his hooves to stare at them. He could still see the blood. “If I hadn’t…”

“Fine, this isn’t—”

Don’t say it!”

He didn’t look up. He didn’t have to in order to see the way she flinched back. “Don’t say it wasn’t my doing. I butchered her, Luna. With my own b-bucking hooves. My friend, one of the few who can really understand, and I did this to her again. I don’t care if Rex had me, I should have stopped it, but instead I… I…” He covered his face in his hooves once more. “I c-can still hear her screams. They’re not half as bad as when she b-begged.”

Silence reigned over the small bedroom. Fine didn’t want to think, didn’t want to remember. It proved of little use; Pinkie’s quiet pleading for mercy, rendered hoarse by the pain and screams, haunted him. As they should. He deserved no reprieve, not after what he’d done to her.

Wings folded over him. Luna pulled him close and rested his chin on her shoulder. It was then Fine noticed how his whole body shook.

“It’s alright, Fine. You can let it go.”

As if her words were a trigger, he did so, bawling into her coat like a newborn foal. The phantoms of Pinkie’s screams haunted his ears even as Luna whispered soothing words into them. His coat felt moist with blood that was no longer there. There were so many faces, so many nameless creatures down the years, all blurred together in a montage of death, each a hard memory of terrible deeds done to sate an insatiable curse.

And it all ended with Pinkie’s pained blue eyes.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Fluttershy was right. I’m a monster. I’m… I’m evil and… and…”

“None of that,” Luna whispered. She tightened her hold, muffling him with her grip. “None of that, my little pony. You know better.”

He wanted to protest, to tell her he didn’t know, but she shushed him. So he just cried and remembered.

When at last the horrible visions and desperate pleas quieted, he found himself still leaning against the princess. On any other day, he might have been rendered dumb with embarrassment, but now he only felt tired. And thirsty. Slowly, he pulled away and rubbed at his eyes. He couldn’t bring himself to look the princess in hers.

“Thanks, Luna. Really.”

She offered a sad smile. “Of course, Verity. I’ll be here whenever you may need me.”

He nodded with a sniff. “I… I’d like to see her.”

Luna hesitated, concern showing in her eyes, but she nodded. Setting a leg around his shoulder, she helped him step off the bed. Fine’s legs ached horribly and he wobbled a bit before managing to steady himself. Idly, Fine wondered if his weakness was due to only just regaining control of his body, or from taking such a sound beating from Pinkie. It may have been influenced by his guilt, but he strongly hoped it was the latter.

They exited at a snail’s pace and came out in a large, open room. Judging by the thestrals in the beds, this was probably Tidal’s equivalent of a hospital or medical ward.

Wait, beds? Come to think of it, he’d been sleeping on one. But… thestrals didn’t have pony beds.

Luna caught his gaze and spoke. “Discord has been providing the thestrals with some Equestrian comforts. He seems to like the thestrals, although I’m not sure exactly why.”

“Because they make me feel so nostalgic!”

Fine blinked at the weight on his head. He crossed his eyes just in time to see a miniature Discord slide down his face between the eyes and relax atop his muzzle. He played a game of Cat’s Cradle with a long, green string using two claws, a floating pair of chopsticks and a golden scepter topped with what appeared to be the head of Twilight Sparkle stuck in a silly expression.

“All the fighting, all the conflict, it was all so delightfully chaotic back in the day.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed. “You’re not planning to encourage that in them, are you?”

“Oh, Lulu, don’t be such a stick in the mud.” He fiddled with the string until it formed an image of Luna’s face with an exaggerated, comical scowl. “These guys have proven a lot of fun so far, especially when I let them play with good old Rep.”

Fine tensed. “And where is that bastard?”

The draconequus smirked. “Where else?” A few more curls of the string, and the face within the Cat's Cradle changed to that of a dragon, his face twisted in horror and mouth opened in a silent scream. “For my next trick, I intend to make him spend five minutes going through a one-hundred-year lecture from the master herself, Twilight Sparkle. She’s hard to emulate, and I do love a challenge.” He looked up at Fine, his smile twisting to something less than friendly. “Would you like a turn?”

Recognizing the opportunity being offered, Fine sucked in a deep breath. Oh, how he would love to take part in that abomination’s ongoing torture. Yet, the more he thought about it, the more he felt like going back to bed. At last, he relaxed. “No. Thank you, Discord, but all I really want is to forget he ever existed.”

Discord squashed the string between his paw and talon and floated off Fine’s muzzle. By the time he touched the ground, he’d returned to his full height. With a tone of uncharacteristic sincerity and a face to match, he said, “I could arrange that, if you really mean it. I am well aware that all of this never would have happened if you hadn’t decided to follow Fluttershy out here to cure me, and I’m not one to forget debts.” He raised his tail high, ready to snap. “Just say the word, and Rep will be gone from your mind for good.”

Fine’s chest tightened. His gaze centered on the appendage, just ready to get rid of everything: the screams, the pain, the words, the mockery, the flames, the pleading, the horrible violence. Acquiescence was on his tongue, just ready to leap into the air and free him of the horror.

And then he closed his eyes, and he saw Pinkie’s distraught face. The word escaped him before he could even think about it.

“No.” His knees buckled as he lowered his head, but Luna steadied him with a wing across his back. “Thank you, Discord, but no. As much as I don’t want to remember, I… I can’t.”

Slowly, the tail lowered. “Very well. But if ever you need my assistance with something, I’m just a shout away.”

An instant later, Discord was grinning and bouncing a green ball against the floor. “Alright, that’s my ‘serious business’ quota for the year. If you don’t mind, me and Reppy here have a lecture on the air speed velocities of swallows to attend. Ta-ta!”

A flash of light, and he was gone. Fine cringed at an opportunity missed.

Luna guided him through the room towards another door. “I am proud of you, Verity. But may I ask why?”

Fine’s gaze didn’t leave the floor. “Because it would be unfair to Pinkie. I can’t – shouldn’t – forget what I did – and why – whenever she can’t.”

Luna nuzzled him. “Well, I don’t agree with the why, but I agree with the what. You may find that, in time, you will be glad you kept these events in your mind.”

He said nothing to this, although he certainly doubted her words. They came to a stop as a pair of hooves appeared in his vision. Fine looked up to find Candid standing before him, the thestral’s gaze resigned and weary. “Mr. Crime. I am glad to see you are out and about.”

Fine glanced over the former elder’s shoulder and noted Sera and Fang standing by a door and watching the interaction quietly. He refocused on the thestral before him. “Candid.”

Candid’s face twisted about, as if he were fighting some sort of internal battle. When he spoke, it was with a strained tone. “I want to… apologize. I was wrong, and treated you and your friends in a manner unbefitting a thestral of my status. You came here on a mission of peace, and I treated you as the enemy.”

Fine stared at him, too weary to offer any real expression. And yet he could clearly see Candid’s sincerity, not to mention how difficult that apology must have been for him. So, with a sigh, he nodded. “It’s alright, Candid. Your reasons weren’t unwarranted, and I don’t begrudge a pony his convictions.” Usually.

Candid considered this answer for a time before finally returning the nod. “Thank you, Mr. Crime. I hope you feel better soon, and your poor friend Pinkie as well.”

He stepped aside, but before Fine could take a step for the door, Sera and Fang were before him. He barely kept from growling at them.

His mood must have shown on his face, for Sera raised her hoof in a calming gesture. “I promise, we won’t keep you.”

Fang nodded. “We just wanted to thank you, Fine. You sacrificed so much for us, even when some of us were wholeheartedly against you.”

“And we want you to know that none of us hold the events of the last few days against you,” Sera continued. “We know your actions were not your own. If anything, we are grateful; with Rex’s return come and gone and The Lady of the Night returned, we may at last look forward to the future.”

“A future as Equestrians,” Fang added with a toothy grin.

As much as Fine wanted this conversation to be over, one thing did catch his attention in all this. He looked to Luna and asked, “What’s going to happen to Rex once Discord’s done with him?”

The princess’s smile faded to a cold frown. “Tartarus.”

“Ah, of course.”

Fang leaned forward. “Fine?”

He gave the two thestrals a scowl, but quickly lost it upon seeing them flinch back with pained expressions. He cursed to himself; all he wanted was to see Pinkie. Did he really have to deal with this?

Still, he forced himself to calm with a few careful breaths. “I’m sorry, I’m… emotional. I appreciate what you’re saying, I do, I just…” His gaze shifted to the door.

Sera smiled sadly and stepped aside. “Say no more, we understand. Go on, we’ll talk later.”

Fang patted his shoulder, albeit gently. Even that hurt. “Don’t worry, Fine. Pinkie’s tougher than you know.”

He pursed his lips, gaze set upon that door. He thought about the battle they’d had on the mountain. He’d been so confident in her. Even if she lost, the way she’d handled herself had amazed him. The thought was almost enough to make him smile. Almost.

“Believe me, Fang,” he whispered, “I know how tough she can be.” He brushed past her, hurrying into the room.

“Fine!” Fluttershy jumped from her place beside the bed and hurried to him, but managed to refrain from giving him the hug she had clearly planned on. “Are you alright? Please, tell me you’re alright.”

He stared into her concerned eyes, momentarily stunned by her presence. She was as beautiful as ever, but… after all that had happened… The memories threatened to crack his heart. His eyes shifted past her, to Nye Stone sitting by the bed and watching him with that increasingly familiar concerned look.

Then Fine’s gaze shifted to the still form on the bed, and his struggling heart could take no more. He could almost hear it shattering.

“No,” he whispered, pushing past Fluttershy. “I’m not.”

He sat and rested his trembling cannons on the bed. Pinkie’s body was wrapped in so many bandages one would be hard pressed to find a patch of pink. All four legs had been splinted and her mane shaved to let the healers get to the head wounds unimpeded. She appeared more mummy than pony. She might have laughed at the idea. In fact, he was sure she would.

Fine only wanted to cry. So he did.

A hoof landed on his shoulder. “It’s not your—”

Without looking, Fine shoved a threatening hoof in Nye’s muzzle. “Don’t you bucking say it.”

Silence filled the room. Fine settled by the bed, his chin resting on the soft sheets, and closed his wet eyes. “Just leave me alone. Please.”

“But—”

Luna spoke up, her voice gentle. “Nye, Fluttershy? I think it’s time I went to properly meet the thestrals. If you would assist in the introductions, I would be most grateful.”

Fluttershy shuffled in place. “Introductions? But… What about…”

“I really must insist. Come along, my little ponies.”

Fine listened to them leave. He could almost see Fluttershy staring at him even as she walked out the door. Then they were gone, and he felt nothing but relief. As much as they meant well, nothing would help him, nothing but Pinkie waking up. He would apologize for putting her in a hospital again, and then?

Maybe he’d disappear. Was Fleur ready to take over the Archons? Perhaps. He could just wander off into the jungle. Who’d find him?

The corner of his lip curled up into the tiniest of smiles: Pinkie would.

Hoofsteps. The sheets rustled. Fine opened one eye to find a large plate of fruits and vegetables by his muzzle. Blinking, he looked to the door.

Polar Aim noticed. He gave Fine a solemn look, a look that spoke of concern, but also of acceptance. Without a word, he nodded and left the room.

For a moment, Fine just sat there, staring at Pinkie’s bandaged face. He glanced at the food, then pushed it aside. Once again, he rested his chin on the bed.

And there he stayed.

Author's Note:

This chapter was going to be longer, but after some discussion with my pre-reader we agreed that this was the best place to end it.

The story ends next week! I'll be posting the final chapter and the epilogue on the same day.