• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,648 Views, 123 Comments

No Heroes: Beyond the Everfree - PaulAsaran



Fluttershy takes it upon herself to cure a friend, but to do so she must acquire a rare ingredient. Accompanied by a few others, she sets out to the lands forgotten by history, the lands beyond the Everfree.

  • ...
3
 123
 1,648

20 – Buying Time

The jungle glowed as though basking in the sunset. Yet there was no sun casting rays here, only a brilliant flame that shot high into the sky. Rainbow had to be more than three hundred yards from the base of the crackling, roaring wall, but even now she felt the heat. Down the hill, evidence of Rex’s cold indifference made itself known, first in the form of trees and shrubs made black and shriveled by the heat, and then in a parched, charred landscape of ash.

A line of death. It circled all around Tidal, threatening fire upon any who dared approach. How it was that the entire jungle wasn’t ablaze, Rainbow couldn’t even hazard a guess.

The flapping of wings announced Polar’s arrival. He landed at her side, eyes narrowed as he studied the scene. “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

No. No, she wasn’t. She licked her dry lips. “You’re the one who thought of it.”

“Yeah.” He fidgeted, rubbing his lip with a fang. “Doesn’t make it smart.”

Rainbow closed her eyes and tried not to think about the heat. Instead, she thought of all the thestrals who had already died because of them. She thought of Pinkie, a friend she couldn’t help; of Fluttershy, imprisoned and facing who knew what; of Nye, putting on a brave face as she left him to pretend to be a rebel leader; of Fine, who was trapped in his own body; of Discord, for whom all of this had begun.

She had to do this. She might burn to a crisp, but it would be far better than living with the guilt of not having tried. As much as she longed to be the one to smash Rex into oblivion, she knew it was not a fight she could win. She had one way she could help.

Just one.

She opened her eyes and turned to Polar, her head held high and wings spread. “Alright. Let’s do it.”

He examined her, expression unreadable. Then he sucked a deep breath, chest expanding greatly, and let out a long, soft sound. It was a trill similar to the one she’d heard Fang use back at the ponds, only deeper. What did she call that, calling? It suited its name well, for as soon as he completed the sound a half-dozen or so thestrals flew out of the trees and into the sky.

He observed them critically before turning back to Rainbow. “You got everything you need?”

She patted the pouch resting at her side and nodded. “Potion, food and water. I’ll be starved and dehydrated when I get to Canterlot, but I’ll definitely get there.” She glanced at the wall of flames and flinched. “What about you? You going to be fine out there?”

The flames reflected in his eyes as he followed her gaze. “Yes. There will be plenty to forage, and the thestrals who got trapped outside the fire are experienced hunters and gatherers, otherwise they wouldn’t have been on the foraging teams in the first place. I’ll be alright.”

“Alright. No point waiting.” She lowered into a ready stance, then set off at a gallop. She was airborne seconds later, moving with the winds in a slow helix. Polar launched shortly afterwards, and together they soared for the other thestrals. Upon seeing them, the group began to fly in a slow, broad circle.

Since she had arrived in Tidal, Rainbow’d had only a few days to practice flying in wild weather. As sure as she was that such practice would serve her well, she nonetheless knew it might not be enough to prepare her for this. She recalled her flight to the top of the Tyrant Tree and examined the wall of flames towering above her. Were those flames taller than one of those timber behemoths? She couldn’t say, but the thought left a sick feeling in her gut.

“I really wish we could have practiced this,” she muttered.

“We’ll be fine,” Polar replied from over her shoulder. “Where’d all that bravado go?”

Oh, how she wished she could show it. As much as Rainbow didn’t want to admit it, Pinkie’s downtrodden mood these last few days had affected her. There seemed so much at stake this time, and if she failed to make it the results would be far more than just her being burned to a crisp.

No! She shook her head forcefully and applied more force to her wing strokes. Her friends were counting on her to do this right, and by Celestia, she would not let them down. “Come on, let’s get this stunt going.”

Polar barked a laugh. “That’s more like it!”

They joined the circle of thestrals, flying steadily higher. After some adjustments, they were flying equidistant behind one another, with Polar taking up the rear of the helix. Rainbow settled her wings into a steady rhythm, shifting and adjusting to the winds as needed. The thestrals before her shined in the flame’s light, their leathery wings accentuated in the ever-shifting shadows. Sometimes they deviated from the spiraling path to catch the winds just right or avoid downdrafts. For that Rainbow was grateful, for she’d yet to master the skill of detecting such things.

How long had they been flying? A glance at the fires revealed they were more than halfway up, but still had a long way to go. Rainbow’s wings were just starting to feel that familiar ache. Rather than worry her, however, the feeling gave her hope; the pain had started much earlier the first time she’d tried to fly so high.

Her gaze went to the stars shimmering in the night sky. For some reason, she recalled the anxiety and fear she’d felt during Luna’s muted speech a week ago. A week… was that really all it had been?

“How are you holding up?” Polar called over the winds.

Shaking the meandering thoughts from her head, she spoke over her shoulder. “Doing good. Don’t worry about me!” If he responded, she didn’t hear it.

They climbed and climbed. At last, they were over the height of the flames. The air had thinned considerably and the temperature had dropped, but they kept climbing. Rainbow knew they couldn’t go much higher. Soon the air would be too thin for their wings to utilize. Still, they rose. She forced her breathing to slow, her wingbeats to be easy and light. Now was not the time or place to expend too much energy.

At last, their flight leveled out. Rainbow’s wings burned from the continuous effort, every flap a fresh ache. She chanced a look down and felt her jaw drop; they were definitely higher than she’d flown for the Tyrant Tree. The world below was little more than a blanket of dark, mish-mashed colors. Tidal itself was a circle about the size of her hoof. They had to be at least twice the elevation of Cloudsdale.

And yet they couldn’t be more than a couple hundred yards above the flames. How had Rex ever made them go so high? From up here it was easy to trace the path of the fire. Seeing the perfect circle brought back that sick feeling in her gut.

Polar flew up to her side, his expression hard. “There’s no going higher than this. You wanna drink that potion now?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Too early for that. I’ll wait until we’ve crossed the wall.”

His brow furrowed, but he didn’t argue. “Then we better do this. We can’t stay at this height for too long.” At her nod, he let out another long call.

The circle of thestrals and one pegasus tightened, its radius growing smaller and smaller, until the tail of the flyer in front of Rainbow tickled her muzzle. The effects were immediate; the pressure in front of her lessened and she could feel a tug. The thestral’s presence created a vacuum of air which constantly pulled her forward.

They flew faster and faster, wings churning the night sky. Rainbow fought not to close her eyes against the wind. Yet for all the rush and the ache of her wings and the blur of the world around them, the world was strangely quiet.

Rainbow grit her teeth, straining her ears in search of the signal. Their speed kept growing and growing. She’d known this trick could work, but she’d had no idea it would do so well. She wondered if the Wonderbolts would be interested this particular stunt.

Just as her stomach began to rebel against the constant spinning, a sharp whistle pierced her ears. Rainbow moved her wings with expert precision and rocketed out of the circle, her colorful contrail streaking into the night. At any other time, she might have cried out for sheer joy at her speed. But tonight there was a wall of fire, and she focused everything on maintaining her breathing just so. Anything more would waste precious energy.

Even at this height, the heat seared. Rainbow closed her eyes and concentrated on flapping her wings, which now felt like they were burning on the outside as well as inside. She sucked in a breath and held it as the temperature rapidly grew. Air dragged her down, reducing her speed dramatically, but it would be enough to get her across without burning up, right? It had to.

She’d told herself before not to think about the searing flames threatening to end her life. That proved impossible as her body stung with a constant agony, like a million needles forcing their way into her coat. She was tempted to scream, and bit down on her tongue to avoid the potentially lethal impulse. Though the orange light shone even through her closed eyes, she flew. Though she feared her feathers were melting, she flapped. Though a single breath could mean the end of her, she pressed on.

It seemed like an eternity had passed. Surely she was past the wall by now? But her body continued to sting, so she continued to flap. Just flap. Think about Pinkie and Fine and Fluttershy. Think of Discord. Think of all of Tidal.

Think of Nye. That clumsy, overweight knucklehead with the cute smile and the unkempt mane who wouldn’t leave her side at all if he could help it. Who knew exactly how to rub her wings after a long day of practice. Who whipped up the best drinks south of Canterlot. Who she could trust to massage her hooves without sparking her anxieties. Who wanted to marry her, and always came through when it mattered most.

Nye, who she would never see again if she didn’t make this work.

Her lungs throbbed, begging for air to the tune of knives swimming through her insides. She needed to breathe, but breathing meant death. It had to be only a few more flaps, right? Stupid Rex and his stupid wall of fire! Just keep flapping and keep that mouth closed. Keep flapping, keep flapping, keep—

Her lungs won out. Rainbow’s mouth opened and air – blessed fresh air! – was invited in. The air was hot, but didn’t burn. Only now did she realize that the pain wasn’t so intense as it had been. She dared open her eyes; the jungle glowed below her. A look back revealed the wall of fire, as bright and deadly as ever, but no longer a threat.

Sweat dripped into her left eye, making her rub it. She caught sight of Polar rapidly descending and shifted her wings to match his destination. Though her entire body continued to sting and throb, Rainbow knew the hardest part of her task was over.

Rainbow never thought she’d be so happy to have her hooves back on solid ground. She stood beside Polar, panting heavily and letting her wings hang limp. In the ever-shifting light of the flames, she couldn’t tell if his singed appearance was just the shadows playing tricks on her. Sweat poured down his body and he appeared ready to fall at any moment.

Sucking in a deep breath, she asked in a raspy voice, “How are you holding up?” she rubbed at her throat, startled by how she sounded.

“Alive and uncooked,” he reported, shaking off his sweat. Rainbow was tempted to grump at him for getting some of it on her, but lacked the energy to bother. “How about you?”

“Same.” She sat and groaned. Moving carefully so as not to agitate her stinging limbs, she reached into her pannier and pulled out the blue potion. “Now I just gotta fly straight to Canterlot nonstop. Here’s hoping this thing works.”

Using her teeth, she uncorked it. She closed her eyes and reminded herself that, this time, it was alright to drink. That reassurance made, she took a single quick chug. Her face twisted at the heat of the thing, although whether it was due to the potion or the wall of fire they’d just passed over, she couldn’t say. Its taste, on the other hand, was startlingly sweet. Sweet enough that Pinkie probably would have liked it. She recorked the bottle and set it back in her pouch, not wanting to use all of the potion in one go just in case the effects didn’t last as long as she hoped.

Polar leaned forward, brows raised. “So? You feel any different?”

She looked at her chest, then at her still-limp wings, then shrugged. “Not really. Maybe it takes time.”

“Or maybe you need a bigger dose?” He sat in front of her and together they waited.

Time passed. Rainbow looked to the wall of flame and thought about all those still trapped inside. The thought twisted her stomach in knots. “C-can I ask a favor?”

Polar said nothing, but he gave her his full attention.

She rubbed her hooves together and turned her back to the fire. “I’m, uh, not absolutely sure of the route, or if this potion will get me there. So, y’know, if I… If I don’t get back, would you tell Nye that I—”

“Nope.”

Her ears folded back as she stared at her hooves. “Yeah… Okay, then.”

Polar sighed and set a hoof to her shoulder. It was probably meant to be reassuring, but all it did was deliver a searing pain that made her yelp.

He jerked his hoof back, eyes going wide. “Sorry, sorry! Should have known we’d be tender.”

Rainbow cringed and touched her shoulder gingerly, pulling back as soon as the sting came. “Yeah, I guess we didn’t come out of that unscathed.” She blinked, raised her hoof, lowered it, twisted it around. “Hey… but it doesn’t hurt to move anymore.”

“Really?” He cocked his head, raised his own leg, then winced and quickly lowered it. “Maybe for you, but not me.”

Taking a few test breaths, Rainbow realized she felt good. Not just good, but energetic. She bounced a couple times, expecting for the weariness in her legs to come back. When it didn’t, she gave her wings a few trial flaps. She grinned. “I think the potion’s working. I don’t feel half as worn out as I did!”

She rubbed a hoof over her leg and flinched. “Still burnt, though. Guess the potion won’t fix that.”

He nodded. “You know the way to go?”

“I think so.” She turned, following her innate senses until she was facing East. “In theory, just keep going this way ‘till I get out of the Everfree. From there it should be easy to figure out how to get to Canterlot.”

“Good, then you should probably get going. And Rainbow?” He waited for her to look back at him before taking on a warm smile. “I’m sure Nye knows.”

She ducked her head with a blush that didn’t help the ongoing sting in her cheeks. “Y-yeah, probably.” Spreading her wings, she launched with no difficulty at all, much to her relief. “I’ll be back, Polar. That’s a promise!”


The masonry that composed the Temple of Tides took in much of the sun’s light, but even that wasn’t enough to keep it from shining red with the morning sun. Fine took in the sight of the temple courtyard from his place atop the Sanctuary, wishing he could feel its warmth. Alas, he felt nothing at all.

“Well,” Rex muttered, “it’s morning.”

Fine kept to himself. But he did think of his friends. What were they doing right now? They wouldn’t be found bowing before his temple, that much was certain.

“And for that, they will die.” Rex gave a light flap of his wings, then spread them wide to catch the sunlight. “I missed mornings. They were always a pleasant experience.”

I’ll be sure to let Celestia know it when I see her next.

He smirked. “Don’t worry, Fine. I can tell her myself. Assuming she bothers to come looking for you, that is.”

Once more, Fine kept himself from thinking. Best not to let his captor know everything.

With a flap of wings, Rex descended from the Sanctuary roof. He landed at the opening leading to the front of the temple and wasted no time entering. “It’s amusing how you think you can actually hide anything from me. “ As the darkness of the hall engulfed them, he turned his head for the now-familiar doorway to the temple’s interior. “I wonder if I shouldn’t grab Fluttershy. Just to demonstrate to her my authority.”

I doubt it would do you any good, Fine said in what he imagined was the thought-variant of a grumble. She’s not going to hate you less just because you’ve got a few slaves. Quite the opposite, really.

“But she will perhaps recognize the futility of her resistance.” Rex’s smile turned smug. “I like a fighter as much as any male, but sometimes it’s nice when they come willingly.”

If I had control of my throat, I might have laughed at that.

Rex went silent. He walked with head held high, that smug smile never leaving his lips. The front entrance of the temple grew close already. Even with the brightness against the dark, Fine could make out some equine shapes. As he expected, at least some of the thestrals were prepared to bow. He didn’t blame them in the slightest.

His tongue played along his fangs. Rex made a pleased, breathy sound. It seemed almost as though he were aroused. If so, Fine couldn’t detect it, which was okay by him; the idea of this monster abusing his body in such a way was a terrible enough thought.

At last, they stepped into the sunlight. Fine wished he could grimace; the area before the temple was packed tight with thestrals. Those closest to the entrance backed away, their faces contorted in fear. Every eye was on them. Fine couldn’t tell just how many there were, but it was clear the crowd continued past the slope where he couldn’t see.

Rex wondered if it was more than Fine anticipated.

Actually… Yeah, it is. A sense of satisfaction made itself known, much to Fine’s annoyance.

Attention turning to the thestrals, Rex sat and stared them down. “It pleases me that so many have come, but you all appear to have forgotten your place. Did that silly Mr. Stone fail to convey my order to bow correctly?”

The crowd shared quiet murmurs. Few eyes left Rex, but they all seemed at a loss. Rex rolled his eyes… Then jerked to his hooves and let out a snarl, fire flickering from between his fangs. “I said bow!”

The thestrals wasted no time in obeying. Within seconds, every one of them had their muzzles to the earth. Rex took in the sight and nodded. “Next time you will do so without command, or I will be reminded of what equine meat tastes like.”

He walked towards the crowd, keeping at a sedate pace but maintaining his aura of authority. Those thestrals who stood in his way were quick to move aside, though they didn’t raise their heads. In the quiet morning, Fine could hear their whimpers and whines. It was sickening, the way they prostrated themselves. How fortunate that he could only feel it through the walls of his mind, which deadened the feeling significantly.

Rex wondered why Fine would feel like that, especially considering that any other option would lead to their deaths.

They outnumber you by the hundreds. A sneak attack now? I don’t care how powerful you are, you can’t stop what you can’t see coming.

Rex saw no threat. Mortal beings were a cowardly lot by their very mortality. It crippled them into uselessness, save when a more worthy being gave them direction. These thestrals understood their worthlessness in the presence of his greatness.

If we get the chance, I simply have to introduce you to a pony named Trixie.

Trixie? Perhaps she would entertain him. He poured over images of a blue unicorn. For once, Fine was perfectly willing to offer them up. The sight of her made Rex grin; Fine was right, he would like to meet that pony.

He paused at the edge of the slope, looking down at the town of Tidal. All along the mountain road, thestrals were bowed to him. There had to have been hundreds. Rex shivered, much to Fine’s disgust.

“Hear me, all of you.” Rex’s voice boomed over the cowering creatures. “Your submission pleases me so much that I have elected not to slaughter you all, but instead permit you to serve me as best as you can with the limited abilities and lives you possess. However, I can see weakness. Weakness in all of you!”

He smiled at the nearest thestral, a brown stallion with a silver mane. The stallion didn’t meet his gaze. “But fear not, for I am here. Lord Rex will guide you back to the proper ways. In obedience, you will know strength once more. In servitude, your families will thrive. By my will, and my will alone, will your race prosper.”

He turned his head left, then right, slowly scanning the crowds. “This will begin with a great task, a task that only you can complete. As many of you as there are, I know there are others unwilling to accept their rightful places. These heathens must be culled, and it will be up to all of you to see it done.”

He paused to watch, once more licking his fangs. He could see it; the uncertainty, the fear, the fidgeting desire to escape. Oh, but it was good to be in charge again! Rex repressed the urge to laugh, but just barely.

“You will hunt down those who would refuse my rule! Kill them yourselves or bring them to me, I care not which. Until I am assured of the total loyalty of every thestral within the flames, I will have killed five of your number every night, beginning with the youngest. Who here possesses foals?”

Not a soul spoke out. Rex’s smile dropped. Seconds passed. At last, he ignited his horn, lifting a random mare from the ground. She yelped, kicking and flapping wildly as the magic brought her to hover before him.

“Be silent.”

She closed her mouth with a click of teeth, huffing and gaping at him with terror in her eyes.

Rex offered his most pleasant smile. “Do you have foals?”

She swallowed and stuttered for some time, but finally managed a “N-n-n-no, my lord.”

The smile dropped one more. “A pity.”

A beam shot from his horn, running right through her stomach. The mare gasped, gurgled and choked. She grasped at the hole in her stomach as blood began to pour out of the wound. Fine watched the scene in grim silence, longing for the muscle control required to snap his own neck. Rex tossed her aside and looked upon the crowd.

“So, how about—”

Hooves shot up, dozens upon dozens of them. Rex grinned. “Ah, there we go. So, you all have foals. Now imagine me doing that to your newborn.” His voice dropped to an acidic growl. “Because I will.”

He let that thought linger, wondering if Fine approved of his methods. Fine remained stoically silent, watching as the thestrals trembled and sobbed. He could feel Rex’s pleasure, and made doubly sure Rex could feel his anger in turn.

Rex turned back to his temple. He only got two steps before he noticed something… odd. He gazed at the crowd before him and rapidly found what had caught his attention. Fine saw it too, and dread seeped through his thoughts.

A pink pony, bowed just like the thestrals all around her.

Rex narrowed his eyes at the pitiful creature, then approached, kicking the nearest thestral out of his way when she didn’t move fast enough. “You.”

Pinkie flinched, her head rising to look them right in the eye. The fear in her gaze was as clear as the sun in the sky, but she said nothing as Rex approached.

He stood before her, hooves almost touching her muzzle. “You will stay. The rest of you? Go! Bring me the heads of those who resist, if you want your children to survive the night!”

The crowd dispersed, rapidly running and flying back to the city on their assigned mission. Fine paid them no mind; all his attention was on Pinkie. He fought as hard as he could not to think at all, especially about her.

Rex paid his resistance no mind. “You are the one they call ‘Pinkie.’ A… party pony, was it?”

Her lips sealed, Pinkie gave a frantic nod.

A moment of gritting his teeth kept him from snarling. “Stand. Speak.”

Pinkie climbed slowly to her hooves, body tense as if to flee at a moment’s notice. “Y-yes, Lord Rex. My name is Pinkie Pie.”

Rex peered at her face, studying her vibrating features. “From what I read in Fine’s mind, you are about as worthless as they come. Very little value at all.” He sneered. “How does it feel, to know your ‘friend’ can barely tolerate you?”

Fine wished he could laugh properly. Pinkie wouldn’t believe that, surely.

She pawed the ground. Were those tears in her eyes? “It feels terrible.”

Those words pierced Fine like a hot knife. He took in her features, her stance, her entire being. She didn’t really believe that, did she? Surely she must know he valued her far, far more than what this abomination was saying.

“Good.” Rex grasped Pinkie’s chin in a hoof-claw, tilting her face to and fro as he studied her. She whimpered but made no attempt to escape. “As worthless as you are – even by mortal standards – I still find it difficult to believe that you would betray your friends and surrender so easily. Tell me why, and if I don’t believe you I will gut you here and now.”

For the first time since this entire episode had begun, Fine felt something with all the strength it deserved: fear. Rex…

He was ignored. Rex continued to glare into Pinkie’s flinching eyes. “Speak.”

Pinkie’s lip trembled, but at last she managed. “B-because we can’t win. I saw what you d-did to the others and… and you have Fine. If even Fine couldn’t stop you, th-then…” Her gaze went through Rex. Fine rapidly realized that her stare was meant for him. “I’d rather be alive with my friends than dead without them.”

Though it took all his willpower, Fine steeled his mind against the rising fear and suspicion. He focused all his thoughts on his urgent desire not to see her killed. He couldn’t let it happen, but what was he supposed to do?

Rex thought it would be nice if he begged.

What might have been a chill ran through Fine’s mind. Not a chance. I won’t disrespect her for your amusement.

“Disre—” Rex’s claw tensed around Pinkie’s face, his lips peeling back to reveal his fangs. Pinkie gasped and squirmed, but couldn’t escape.

Killing her will do you no good, Rex. Fine hoped that didn’t sound as desperate as he felt.

No, but it would be a heck of a lot of fun.

Fine wanted to scream, not out of fright… but outrage. As fun as when Catrina died?

Rex froze.


Fluttershy lay on her side, staring at the wall. It was the same as it had been yesterday; dull, reddish stone with a few hairline cracks. Utterly uninteresting. The fact that she had nothing to do but count the vines growing along it didn’t help matters. How long was Rex going to keep her in here?

She sighed and shifted to her back, the shackle on her leg rattling noisily. Her coat was going to rub raw at this rate. At least he hadn’t tried anything aside from a few idle threats and some long, dull discussions about how great he was. Fluttershy had known a few narcissists in her time, but Rex had to be the worst yet. She wondered if his ‘Lord’ was just a title for being the best at self-adoration.

Fine was in there. He had to have some kind of plan of escape. Fine always had a plan. But how long would it take? Was it going to be dependent on her and the others doing something? She’d tried a few times to speak to Fine directly, but she saw no indication at all that he could even hear her. It frustrated her to no end.

Then again, maybe he just didn’t want to talk to her. After what she’d done to him, she wasn’t sure she could blame him. Why had she run away like that? Fine deserved so much better. But she couldn’t apologize to him, not while Rex had him hostage. It didn’t feel right, and besides that, Rex could infer some things from the act. No, she had to hold on to her guilt for a while.

How long? Days? Weeks? What if Fine didn’t have a plan? They could be waiting for Celestia and Luna to find them. The thought brought a fresh pang to her heart.

Her ears perked to hoofsteps. More than one set, she noticed. Were it just one, she’d have turned away from the door; no point giving Rex any more attention. But two? She sat up and waited expectantly, wondering who might be there.

“Come on, that hurts! I can walk just fine!”

Fluttershy’s eyebrows rose; that voice was unmistakable.

“Shut up before I rip your tongue out.” Rex appeared in the doorway. He pulled Pinkie along behind him, literally dragging her across the floor by her mane such that she was sliding on her back. She squirmed and kicked, but seemed unable to escape his grasp. Rex paused just inside the room and threw Pinkie inside, eliciting a yelp from the earth pony when she hit the ground at Fluttershy’s side.

“You want to live?” He snapped. “You will make yourself useful. Tend to her needs, whatever they may be. Do a satisfactory job and I will keep you around as our servant.”

Fluttershy helped Pinkie to her hooves, glaring at Rex the whole time.

Rex looked down his muzzle at her. “Don’t give me that. The only reason she’s alive – and I emphasize the only reason – is because she is important to you. Keep that in mind when the time comes for a decision, Fluttershy.”

He stomped off without another word.

With him gone, Fluttershy turned to look Pinkie over. She was bruised a bit, but otherwise appeared unhurt. Aside for her pride, if the way she scowled at the door was any indication.

Her gaze softened when she turned to Fluttershy. “Are you okay?”

Fluttershy nodded. “He hasn’t hurt me, although he’s made more than a few threats.” She leaned forward with a hopeful expression. “Please tell me you’re here with a plan.”

Pinkie fidgeted and tapped her hooves together in a meek display. “Well, I am, but it’s not going as smoothly as I hoped.”

“Oh.” Fluttershy sighed, shifting her shackled leg for comfort. The sound of the metal dragging on the stones caught Pinkie’s attention, but Fluttershy waved off her concern. “Just Rex’s way of staking a claim, I think. His methods of wooing mares is a little… ‘outdated.’ ”

Pinkie gaped, then broke into a fit of giggles. “Wow, Fluttershy! You can still joke at a time like this. I guess Nye’s been rubbing off on you more than we thought.” Her breath hitched, cutting her laughter abruptly short. “Wait, does that mean he’s really trying to…”

“Yes.” Fluttershy rubbed her temple, brow furrowed. “He seems to think making me his trophy bride will satisfy Fine Crime into not being an annoying host.”

Pinkie’s face twisted into a dark expression Fluttershy hadn’t seen since the whole ‘birthday incident.’ “Why do all the stallions seem to want you?”

“I wish I knew so I could make it stop.” Fluttershy sighed and lowered to her barrel. “I never liked being popular. Especially not like that.”

The ugly expression vanished. Pinkie traced a circle in the floor sheepishly, unable to look her friend in the eye. “Umm… I’m sorry I blew up at you. Y’know, about Fine?”

Fluttershy smiled up at her. “That’s okay, Pinkie. You were under a lot of stress and worried about him.”

“That doesn’t excuse it.” Pinkie turned away, gazing with slumped shoulders at the empty doorway. “It’s not your fault, none of it, and I knew that. I just wanted to lash out at somepony. I wish it hadn’t been you.” Her head sank so low her chin almost touched the floor. “I shouldn’t have been so mean.”

Fluttershy considered the forlorn pony before her. She wanted to move closer and hug her, but the shackle on her leg prevented that. With a sigh, she settled for reaching to touch Pinkie’s back. “I said I would always be your friend. I forgive you, Pinkie.”

Pinkie rubbed her muzzle with a sniff, then cast a frail smile over her shoulder. “You’re too kind.”

After a moment’s consideration, Fluttershy sat up straight and raised her hoof, as though she were a teacher about to correct a troublesome pupil. “I believe I am the one who decides matters of kindness, thank you.”

Pinkie giggled, then moved in to nuzzle her. “Thanks, Fluttershy. Really.”

They shared a moment of silence together, accepting each other’s calming presence. Fluttershy wondered if this had been eating away at her friend all this time. Knowing Pinkie? Probably. She was just glad they could address the topic so quickly.

But before long, other issues made themselves known in her mind. “So… What was the plan?”

“Hmm? Oh.” Pinkie looked to the door once more, ears splayed back. She chewed on the tip of her hoof. “W-well, it’s a waiting game. We have to keep Rex preoccupied until Rainbow can deliver the gargoyle skin to Princess Luna.”

Fluttershy almost smiled. Obviously, such a plan would be unfeasible unless Rainbow had already escaped the ring of fire. Even so, Pinkie’s anxious manner leashed her excitement. So if Rainbow was gone… “How long do we have?”

“Three or four days.” Pinkie couldn’t stop chewing on her hoof. “I hope the others can hold out that long. Especially now, I can’t even warn them.”

“Warn them?” Fluttershy nuzzle her friend and gave her a worried look. “Warn them about what?”

Pinkie looked as though was going to be sick.


Nye stared incredulously at the Night Eye messenger. “He ordered what?

“Five foals,” the thestral replied, expression grim. “Every night, until the resistance is crushed.”

Sera, now bedecked in leather armor and sporting a spear, let out a curse. “I’d heard that Rex was a monster, but this is beyond the pale.”

They were sheltered in a small cave near the southeastern edge of the circle of fire, surrounded by a dozen others. It didn’t strike Nye as much of a safe haven, especially now. The air filled with muted whispers that could barely be heard but made the unease of their companions clear. “The others are going to fight us now, aren’t they?”

Sera nodded, her expression grim. “If you’d asked me before, I’d have had my doubts. But with this? At least some are certain to come after us.”

“We’re sending word to the other units,” the messenger said. “They should all have the news by now.”

One of the volunteers, a young mare, shuffled forward. “Elder, our foals. We… We can’t let that happen. M-maybe we should—”

Sera interrupted her with a sharp hiss and a glare. “Don’t you dare finish that sentence, Passiflora. We have to keep Rex busy.”

Nye turned to the others. “We can’t surrender even if we wanted to.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” one of the stallions shouted. “You’re not the one with a foal on the line!”

Nye spoke above the din before it could rise to something more dangerous. “Listen to me! Rainbow Dash is already on her way to Equestria. As long as she can’t be found, Rex will think the resistance is ongoing anyway. He’s not going to stop just because we gave ourselves up!”

“Then we tell him the truth,” another thestral cried. “Let him know what we’ve done, and maybe he’ll spare our foals!”

“No.” Sera banged the butt of her spear on the cave floor, the sharp crack reverberating through the cave and pulling every eye her way. “Think about who we are dealing with! This isn’t some mortal villain we can negotiate with, this is Lord Rex. Remember the legends! The senselessness of the Deep Invasion, the Slaughter of the Noble Wings, the Tower and the Pit. We know Rex’s evil ways. If he learns that Discord, the one creature that could best him, is on his way, he will not stand his ground.”

She waved her spear at them dramatically, then pointed it at Passiflora. “And he won’t take us with him. He will erase us to cover his tracks, find a new tribe to claim dominion over! If he finds out about Rainbow Dash, we are all dead, including our foals. We must continue to make him believe there is a resistance to his power.”

Passiflora’s face twisted in dismay, matching the expressions of the others. “B-but, Elder… our foals. We can’t just let them die!”

Sera cringed and lowered her spear. Nye watched her eyes glaze over and her shoulders slump. He understood; she had no idea what to do. He growled and turned to the others. “Who said anything about letting them die?”

All eyes turned to him, and he returned their looks with a heated stare. “I get it, you’re all afraid. Well, get over it! Are you a warrior race or not?”

Their expressions darkened, and Sera hissed in his ear, “Nye, now’s not the time.”

He shot her a scowl. “Are you kidding? It’s the perfect time!” he turned back to the others. “Listen, do you think the thestrals who surrendered want to risk their foals? Of course not! They’ve got just as much at stake here as you do. They certainly don’t want Rex around.”

They all exchanged uncertain glances, though more than a few were threatening. Sera tapped her spear to the floor once more and asked, “Just what are you proposing, Mr. Stone?”

“Cooperate,” he replied firmly. “Send a negotiator to those who surrendered. I’m sure you know a lot about who is out there, and who would help us. Hide the foals, move them so that Rex can’t find them.”

The messenger shook his head forcefully. “Are you kidding? If Rex finds out—”

Nye’s gaze didn’t leave Sera’s. “Four days! That’s it. Keep the foals hidden with the resistance for four days. We can do that, can’t we?”

“Hmm…” The elder rubbed her chin, brows knitted in thought. “It won’t be easy, but… possible.”

“Now hold on,” one thestral called from the herd. “You do realize that by taking away the foals, we’re intentionally sacrificing adults, right?”

“Better one of us than one of our children,” another countered.

Murmurs of agreement spread throughout the cave. Nye looked around and saw faces set in determination. Yet they weren’t proud faces, or eager. No, there was more of a despondency in their manner, as if they were resigning themselves to fate. He didn’t like it, but at least they appeared to be on his side on this one.

Sera gave out at trill, and silence followed. “I think we are in agreement?” When only grim faces answered, she turned to the messenger once more. “Spread the word to Fang. Her unit will be responsible for protecting the foals. And spread the plan to the other units; they must be encouraged not to give into Rex’s viciousness.” The Night Eye thestral nodded and disappeared into the cave without so much as a rustle of wings.

The elder turned to the others. “I will go to speak to our kin. I am the best candidate for convincing them of this plan. Mr. Stone is in charge while I am gone.”

“What, me?” Nye cast a wide-eyed gaze at the thestrals, who all eyed him in return. Was that respect in their gazes, or distrust? He turned to whisper in Sera’s ear, “I can’t do that.”

“Says the stallion who just came up with the best plan for saving our tails.” Sera gave him a toothy grin. “You’d make a great elder, Mr. Stone. Your flitter is lucky to have you. Keep them in line while I’m gone, won’t you?”

“B-but, I… You can’t just…” He stared in steadily growing horror as the elder calmly and quietly walked out of the cave. Swallowing audibly, he looked over this shoulder. The rest of the thestrals watched him, gazes full of expectation and hope.

Dear Princess Luna,

Why do I keep getting wrapped up in these things?