• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,648 Views, 123 Comments

No Heroes: Beyond the Everfree - PaulAsaran



Fluttershy takes it upon herself to cure a friend, but to do so she must acquire a rare ingredient. Accompanied by a few others, she sets out to the lands forgotten by history, the lands beyond the Everfree.

  • ...
3
 123
 1,648

22 - Snap

A colony of thestrals stood before Rex. The majority were bowed in submission, but one near the front kept his head held high. It was as much as Fine could hope for, although he noted the faint wobble in the stallion’s knees.

Rex closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead with a grimace. He spoke in a growl. “Pinkie, am I not speaking the common language correctly?”

Since Rex didn’t look her way, Fine couldn’t see Pinkie’s physical state. Her voice did the job well enough, coming out as a quaver. “No, you’re speaking it just fine.”

“Am I?” Rex’s headache abruptly became Fine’s. “Because it seems to me like these cretins didn’t understand my orders.”

The stallion in front of them sputtered. “W-we have searched everywhere, my Lord. I s-swear!”

“Everywhere?” Rex opened Fine’s eyes once more, thrusting a clawed hoof to point at the distance. “There is a wall of fire encircling this entire dungheap! The foals cannot have escaped. That means they are somewhere within, and yet you tell me you’ve looked everywhere?”

“We have!” The stallion raised his hooves in a supplicating gesture. “My Lord, the rebels must be moving the foals. It’s the only—” A red aura wrapped around his throat, choking off his pleas. He squirmed and kicked as he floated into the air.

Rex stood from his throne and stepped forward. His voice dripped with menace. “I didn’t ask for excuses, I asked for foals. This is the third morning you’ve failed to produce them. The third.”

Pinkie was at his side. “My Lord, they’re trying their best. They’re just—”

A claw rose, threatening to backslap her. “I did not ask for your opinion,” he hissed.

Leave her alone, Rex.

The dragon spirit paid no heed to Fine’s patient interruption and Pinkie’s cringing backsteps. Turning back to the thestrals, he ignored the still-squirming stallion and took in the bowed group around him. “Hmm… I suppose I’ll have to be fair about it. Very well, if you can’t produce foals, I will make a different example.”

One at a time, thestrals began to rise into the air, held in the same manner as their leader. Those not caught in the magic started to move away, but a warning growl from Rex stilled their collective hooves.

Tension built in Fine’s mind as the carried thestrals, fifteen in all, were brought to a hover over the pit at the center of the sanctuary. Judging by their motions, Rex held them only enough to keep them uplifted and not hurt them. What are you doing?

Again, Fine was ignored. Rex looked to the half-dozen thestrals that hadn’t been picked up. “Fifteen of you for fifteen children. See? Fair.”

He began lowering the thestrals one at a time into the pit, which was filled to the brim with churning water now that the magic had been restarted by Nye. They bucked at the air and tried to cry out, but all they could offer was choking gasps.

You don’t have to do this.

It was of no use; the first thestral’s head was submerged. Fine watched mutely, anger bubbling within him. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Pinkie watching the scene with a helpless, horrified expression. If only he could tell her not to look. The remaining thestrals, too afraid to move, watched the slow, callous execution of their companions in silence.

The last one lowered, her terrified eyes silently begging him for mercy as she slipped beneath the waters. Fine could just make out her form beneath the surface as it kicked and thrashed. Seconds passed. Pinkie trembled. The thestrals remained silent. Fine thought of ways to hurt his puppeteer.

Only when all movement beneath the water ceased did Rex look up. “Now then, that’s settled. Go back and look again. Fail me for another morning and I will kill ten more of you.” He scowled when the thestrals didn’t move fast enough. “That means now, you worthless scum!”

Fine watched them gallop out, wishing he could give the headache back to Rex. Keep this up and you’ll not have anypony left to serve you.

“Shut up,” Rex hissed as he closed his eyes tight. “Shut up, shut up, shut up.”

Pinkie approached timidly. “Uh… Rex? Is there anything I can—”

He swiped a claw at her. “Go away. I’ve got enough of frustration without having to listen to your whiny voice.”

She’s just trying to help.

“I said shut up.”

Pinkie fidgeted in place and chewed her lip, but finally did as she was told, turning and walking towards the back of the temple. Fine wished he could reassure her. He wished he could do anything. The entire situation was starting to grind on his nerves.

“Oh, you think you have it bad?” Rex snorted, his claws kneading the ground. “At least you don’t have to deal with these… ignorants. I don’t recall thestrals being this stupid when I ruled them before.”

Tell me about it. There was a long pause before Fine added, No, seriously. Tell me.

Rex rolled their eyes in exasperation. “Tell you what?”

About before. Like… how did you come to rule the thestrals in the first place?

Another snort. “As if you give a griffon’s hindquarters about that.”

Fine, his tone ever patient, replied, I’m not feigning interest. I like history, and this I something even the princesses probably don’t know. Indulge me.

Rex groaned. “Why? And shouldn’t you be busy getting over the thestrals you just murdered in cold blood?”

It’s not like I haven’t done it before. The bitterness in that thought gave Rex pause. We both need a distraction right now, wouldn’t you say?

Rex thought on this for some time, but finally smiled. “You know what? You’re right. Maybe reliving the glory days will do me some good.”

Fine might have smiled, were he able. Then let’s hear it.


The darkness of the temple seemed downright oppressive. Nye remained crouched in the corner of a room, his eyes glued on the open doorway leading to the temple’s back exit. Unlike the front of the structure, which seemed largely decorative, the back had an entire complex of rooms and halls. Fang had told him it had been meant to house temple employees, as well as those who worked in government back in Rex’s time.

Now? They were just a bunch of bland, empty rooms, suitable only for bats, snakes and other unpleasant things he didn’t want to think about (with apologies to Fluttershy). And why was Nye crouched here in the dark, where creepy crawly things might be sneaking up on him, or a vicious dragon spirit possessing his most dangerous friend could appear around a corner at any second?

Because he’d volunteered, of course. Why did he always volunteer? Rainbow was supposed to be the brave one…

Hoofsteps broke his self-insulting reverie. Trying to imitate Fang as best he could, he pressed against the wall and waited with bated breath. Please, let it not be that psycho.

The hoofsteps paused just outside the doorway. He tensed, teeth clamped tight and ears splayed back. If that was Rex…

“Who’s there?”

Air fled from his lungs and he all but collapsed. “It’s me, Pinkie.”

“Me? Sorry, Me, but you probably shouldn’t be here right now.”

His eyebrows rose; the words may have been perfectly Pinkie, but the tone behind them had been anything but. She sounded as if she’d just found out Gummy had been poached. He trotted to the door to find her staring at the floor. “Hey. What’s wrong?”

Her eyes flicked his way before returning to the ground. With that brief contact, Nye had seen something in those eyes he rarely associated with Pinkie. He thought she might break down at any moment. Tentatively, he wrapped a leg around her shoulder. He wanted to tell her something, but how could he? He didn’t even know why she was so upset.

A cold sensation ran through him: had something happened to ruin the plan?

Pinkie pressed against him and trembled.. “Y-you really shouldn’t be here, Me.”

With a sigh, he walked her towards the exit. “Let’s get you out of here.”

She didn’t respond, and Nye wouldn’t press her. Quietly, he guided her out the back of the temple and into the jungle. Though he didn’t see the thestrals among the foliage, he knew they were watching, and so waved his hoof to indicate that they should keep away for now. The two of them sat in the shade near a bush covered in small black berries. Pinkie sniffled on occasion, but otherwise offered not a word. Knowing nothing else to do, Nye picked some berries and fed her. She ate slowly, robotically. He wondered if she could even taste them.

When she finally spoke, the words came so quietly Nye almost missed them. “I don’t know what to do.”

He paused, a berry halfway to her mouth, and looked to her. She didn’t return his gaze. “What was that?”

She swallowed and closed her eyes tight. “He j-just… killed them. Fifteen of them. He did it, and I couldn’t…”

Oh, dear Luna. Nye had anticipated such a move, but to know Pinkie had been forced to witness it? “I’m so sorry, Pinkie. We were hoping he’d wait longer before responding.” The excuse sounded feeble even to him.

Another sniff. Pinkie rubbed her eyes. “I see Fine, but it’s not him. But it is him, and…” Her head lifted, her watery eyes gazing at something unseen. “He’s not what Fluttershy thinks. He’s not a heartless killer. He’s not that cold. But Rex is making him do things, a-and…” Her chest spasmed with a barely contained sob.

“Hey, hey.” Nye wrapped a hoof around her shoulder. “It’s alright. Fine’s gonna be alright. I know it’s hard, but…” but what? He raised his head to the canopy, taking note of the sky overhead. What was he supposed to say?

A lingering cloud caught his eye, just visible through the limbs. The idea of clouds brought forth an image of Rainbow snoozing, and he managed a smile. Nuzzling Pinkie’s cheek, he said, “But it’s almost over. Sometime today, Rainbow should reach Canterlot, and then Rex will be back where he belongs.”

Pinkie exhaled slowly. “Are… Are you sure?”

“You’ve known RD far longer than I have,” he replied. “Come on, you know she won’t quit. She’ll come through. You’ll see, Pinkie. Before the sun goes down, everything will be resolved.”

Pinkie brushed back her long, straight hair and tried to smile. It looked almost painful. “That’s a funny word.”

“What, resolved?” He grinned and poked her in the ribs, making her jump with a squeak. “I can think of funnier ones, if you want.”

“I think I have enough in my repertoire, thanks.” She giggled, though it had a worryingly strained quality. “Another one.”

He turned his muzzle up and away with a scoff. “Well, fine then. If you don’t want my help, I’ll take my business elsewhere.” He started to stand, but Pinkie pulled him back down with surprising strength.

“Wait.” Her manner turned serious once more. “Why did you come here? Rex will turn you into a flambé in he catches you.” She blinked, then gained that tired smile once again. “Three words.”

“Oh, right!” He whacked himself on the side of the head, then turned to give her an intent look. “We thought it high time to get you two out of here.”

Pinkie thought on this. Her ears abruptly folded back. “You mean Fluttershy and me? I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

His expression turned incredulous. “Are you kidding? We can’t just leave you here.”

“Yes, you can.” Pinkie locked him with an uncharacteristically firm gaze. “And you have to. If you take us, Rex will turn all of Tidal inside out to get us back, and he won’t be picky about whether he’s doing it to buildings or thestrals.”

“But we can hide you,” Nye insisted, pressing his hooves to Pinkie’s shoulders. “Like we’re hiding the foals. There’s no need for you to be right there when the cavalry charges in.”

“And what if the cavalry doesn’t charge in?” She shook her head. “No, we can’t risk it. It’s too dangerous.”

Nye stared at her for some time, his mind running circles as he struggled to make sense of her argument. Rainbow was coming, didn’t she believe that? “I… we can’t just…”

She leaned forward, wrapping her hooves around him in a tight hug. He stared over her shoulder in a stupor as she whispered in his ear, “Thanks, Nye. I know you mean well, and I’m sure Fluttershy will appreciate the thought. But please, don’t.”

He fumbled for words. “B-but what about Rex? What if he tries to do something to you two?”

“We’re big fillies. We’ll handle it.”

Gritting his teeth, he pushed her back to leg’s distance. “No, you won’t. Don’t you get it? That monster can kill you in an instant, and it wouldn’t take anything to make him choose to do it.”

“I know that.” She turned her face away and sighed. “But it’s better to risk us than all of Tidal, isn’t it? That’s the kind of thing Fine would do.”

Nye worked his jaw, grit his teeth, and fought down the anger trying to fill him. How could she be arguing with him on this? It was the most ridiculous thing he’d ever heard from her, and that took work. “That’s not… I mean, yes, he would, but…” He threw up his hooves. “Come on! Just… Just tell us where she is, Pinkie. We’ll get her out.”

She turned to glare at him, opened her mouth… then paused. Her left eyebrow twitched, then one of her hind legs shook. Recognizing the signs of Pinkie Sense in action, Nye stepped back and waited warily. He hoped she was getting ‘good’ signals. They all could use some right about now.

The motions stopped, and Pinkie heaved a deep sigh. “Fine…”

He blinked. “Fine? As in the stallion, or ‘fine’ as in ‘okay’?”

“As in okay.” She hid her face behind her forelegs with a moan. “This is gonna go badly, I just know it.”

What? Nye raised one leg anxiously as he asked, “So… why are you agreeing?” His heart slammed into his throat. “Did your Pinkie Sense tell you we’d fail?”

Pinkie stood and walked past him, her expression hard. “It told me that if I said no, you and the others would do it anyway, so there was no point in arguing.” She looked over her shoulder, and the stone of her face melted to worry. “But I just know this is the wrong thing to do. I’ve got the rumbly tumblies in my tummy real bad.”

His slow exhale turned into a sharp inhale. “W-what does that mean?”

She stopped, her expression flat. “That’s not Pinkie Sense, Nye.”

“Oh, uh, right.” He rubbed his mane back with a blush and a cheeky grin. “I knew that.”

She rolled her eyes, but at least she smiled. “Tell Toothless, Foray and Cloudy to come out, then I’ll guide you to Fluttershy.”

She trotted for the entrance, leaving him to turn back to the woods. A quick hoof gesture was all he needed, and three thestrals materialized out of the foliage. One, a dark green mare, stared after Pinkie with wide eyes. “How did she—”

Nye’s hoof snapped up. “Don’t bother! The less you ask, the saner you’ll stay.”

As they followed Pinkie back to the temple, Nye could only hope that her intuition would prove wrong. Given who he was dealing with, he didn’t put too much stock in that idea. But she was right; there was no way they were letting them stay one more night in that fiend’s presence.


Rex was still. Strangely so. It was an unnatural quiet, the kind one gained through focus. He said nothing, and his thoughts were blocked from Fine’s probings. All he did was stare at the throne within the Sanctuary, eyes narrowed and jaw set.

Anxiety coursed through Fine’s mind. He’d been listening to Rex recount ‘the good days’, days of power and influence. And then, suddenly, he’d shut himself off. He longed to see into his puppeteer’s head and know what was troubling him so.

Rex?

No answer, as before. Fine waited. And waited. And waited some more. He began to grow frustrated; nopony got in such a state unless they were thinking hard about something. What could the damned demon be so intent upon? There had to be some goal, some idea that Fine needed to see. Not that he could do anything about it, but it would at least be good to know.

Rex had never been like this. Thoughtful contemplation was one thing. This felt like something else entirely. It was as though talking about his distant past had been a trigger for… something.

“Rex?”

His ear twitched. Slowly, his head turned. There stood Pinkie at the edge of the Sanctuary. She watched him in concern, and Fine took some comfort in the knowledge that it was almost certainly meant for him.

Pinkie raised a leg as if to approach, but hesitated. “What’s wrong?”

Fine’s lip curled back, revealing his fangs. “You don’t bow.”

Pinkie’s ears splayed back at his hiss. “I… What?”

“What is this?” Rex’s words came slowly, quietly, and filled with something ominous. Fine listened intently, his anxiety increasing steadily. “You don’t bow. They don’t bow, not like they should.”

He turned to stare at the front entrance. He spoke through gritted teeth. “There was a time when I was a god. Now? Now they treat me as a mere lord who happens to be standing over them. Were I to leave now, they’d go right back to what they were doing. I would be…”

His claws kneaded the stones. A growl rumbled from deep in his throat. “And they can’t even kill a bunch of rebels. Are they witless? No. They’re resisting.”

Fine could feel the buildup. He needed to diffuse this situation… somehow. I think they’re trying their hardest. You are threatening to kill their children, after all.

“No,” he whispered. His body began to lower, as if he were a predator on the prowl. “It’s resistance. They might not even be aware of it, but it is resistance all the same. They haven’t truly accepted their role yet. If they had, the rebels would already be dead.”

Out the corner of his eye, Fine saw Pinkie make some frantic gesture. It was probably meant to be hidden. How fortunate that Rex didn’t notice. Look, they just need time to—

Time? I have given them time!” Rex stamped. His breathing had deepened as he snarled his words. “No, I’m going to have to get drastic. I must return things to the way they were, the way Catrina demanded it. I must create a kingdom ready and eager to lick the ground she walks on at but a glance. This is not it. But I will make it be so, oh yes…”

His wings opened with a snap, and Pinkie jumped back with a yelp. “I will go to that worthless village and do the job myself! I will incinerate the thestrals as a lesson to all who dare oppose me!”

Pinkie let out a cry. “You can’t! They just need—”

With a roar, Rex launched! But not for Tidal. Pinkie barely managed to dodge as those thick claws swung over her head, her eyes wide and pupils shrunk to pinpricks.

What are you doing?!

Rex ignored Fine, turning to bare his fangs at the retreating pink pony. “I should have killed you when I first laid eyes on you. That would have shut them up! No more waiting, no more games.” He approached, body low and movements fluid. “I’ll slice you up and I’ll rain your parts over the city before I rip it to shreds! Then the other tribes will bear witness to their true ruler!”

Good Goddess, he’d snapped! Fine scrambled for something to say, even as he fought futilely against his own body. No! Rex, this isn’t the way! You can do better than—

Shut up!” Rex slapped himself on the cheek, and Fine felt the sting. He worked his sore jaw for a second, realized what he was doing—

Too late; Rex took over again and was bounding after a fleeing Pinkie. “Come here, you pile of putrid pony flesh!”

Fine saw the chase and shouted the first thing to come to mind. Fluttershy! She’s Fluttershy’s friend!

Rex came to a sliding stop, his claws making sparks on the hard floor of the temple. He panted, staring with narrowed eyes after Pinkie. She came to a stop as well, hooves spread in a defensive posture. Fine saw the look in her face and realized, with no small surprise, that she hadn’t been fleeing blindly. He could see gears turning behind those blue eyes, which abruptly seemed far shrewder than he ever imagined.

“She is, isn’t she?” Slowly, Rex turned his head towards the front entrance. Then, with a burst of speed, he was off again.

What are you doing?

“She will obey. You will obey. You will all obey!”

Ice seemed to come over Fine’s mental faculties. Don’t hurt her. If you do I’ll—

“You’ll what?” Rex entered the darkness of the temple entrance. “What are you going to do, puppet? I’m going to show her who she’s trifling with, and she will obey and enjoy it or resist and deal with it anyway.”

What? You mean you’re—NO.

Rex bounded through the halls, running a familiar route. Fine began to fight, to thrash in his mental prison. Leave her alone!

“I’m not waiting anymore,” Rex hissed in the darkness. “I will bring her before your precious thestrals and I will ravage her for all of them to witness. Her pleas and moans will echo through the courtyards, the perfect bait to lure your insufferable friends out like lambs to the slaughter!”

No. No, no, no. Fine put all his will into just one leg, straining to regain at least a modicum of control. I won’t let you do this!

“Try and stop me.”

Panic began to eat away at Fine’s control. He knew he shouldn’t let it, down that way lay failure, but buck it all, he couldn’t do anything! He watched with a sense of infuriating helplessness as the door came into view. He wanted to scream out a warning, but his grinning mouth refused to obey.

Rex reached the door at such a speed that he had to grab the frame to avoid moving past. He looked into the room to find Fluttershy scowling at him. “What is it now?”

He pointed at her with a lone talon and hissed through gritted teeth, “That’s exactly the problem.”

Don’t touch her!

He prowled into the room, breath heavy and lips pulled back in a malicious grin. “Oh, I’m going to do so much more than touch.”

Rex!

Fluttershy’s eyes became like saucers as she stepped back from the approaching stallion. “W-what are you doing? Keep away.”

“Oh, no more of that, my little canary.” Rex licked his lips salaciously. “You really are a pretty thing, for a pony. Let’s put that body to good use!”

All Fine’s screaming did nothing to slow Rex’s lunge. Fluttershy cried out and dodged, hurrying for the other side of the room. “No! Leave me alone!”

She didn’t get far before her leg snapped up, pulled by a taut chain now held in the iron grip of Rex’s magic. He began to tug, slowly, one link at a time, giggling at her struggles.

Fluttershy flapped her wings and pulled. “Let me go! Y-you can’t! Fine? Fine!”

Please, Rex. Don’t do this.

Rex exhaled slowly, one hoof raised to let the chain run along it as he continued the steady pull. “I’m going to let you feel it, Fine. Not all of it, of course. But enough. Enough to remind you that it’s you doing all these wonderful things to her.”

Fluttershy’s leg started bleeding. She scrambled for purchase, her breath coming in rapid bursts. “Please, please, no! Fine, stop him!”

He couldn’t. No matter what he tried, no matter how hard he struggled… he couldn’t. He wanted to scream some more, but what good would it do? His mind, filled with panic and horror and hate, failed him in her moment of need. Please. Rex, I’m begging you, let her go.

Rex let out a cruel laugh. He snapped a claw forward, catching Fluttershy’s leg. She screamed and bucked with her free one, but he sidestepped the attack and, after a few failed attempts, caught her other leg. He jerked, and she fell to her stomach. With a shriek, she tried to get back up, only for one of his claws to slam her cheek-first to the floor.

Even so, she struggled. “Fine, listen to me! I know it’s hard, and if… if you can’t…” Unable to stand, she looked up into his eyes. Her face was slick with tears. “It’s not your fault. I-it’s not your fault.”

But it was. It was all on him, and he could do nothing to fix it. If only he could close his eyes.

Rex. Please. Not this. Anything but this.

“That’s the tone I’ve been looking for.” Rex buried his face in Fluttershy’s mane and took a deep breath. “I’m going to enjoy this.”

Fluttershy closed her eyes, her lips moving almost silently. Was she begging for mercy, or maybe for help? Rex’s grin only grew.

“Be louder, girl. It makes it all the more arousing.”


Pinkie wasn’t moving as fast as she could. Only fast enough to avoid Rex. She’d heard that the guy was unhinged, but she’d never expected him to lash out like this! This wasn’t the same as casually making a hole in a thestral’s chest or holding them underwater for a while. This was anger, a kind of madness Pinkie had only known twice before.

But she had seen it before. That gave her a distinct advantage, and let her keep her head as the claws barely missed taking it off.

Nye and the others would see this. They’d recognize the threat. All she had to do was keep Rex busy, buy them time to slip past and get Fluttershy. If she could just dodge long enough…

Her ears just caught the sound of Rex’s sliding stop. She did the same, turning to face him warily. Would he use his magic? No, his eyes had that vacant look to them. Fine was trying to calm him down.

Nye and the three thestrals were by the Sanctuary, hidden from Rex’s view. He was still too close. She would have to find a way to lure him farther out.

“She is, isn’t she?”

Without warning, Rex turned and galloped for the front entrance. Pinkie blinked. What was this?

“She will obey. You will obey. You will all obey!”

She?

Comprehension slammed into her like a party cannon fired in the gut, and she was already running. “Nye, come on!”

Fine was a fast pony when he wanted to be, and Rex was taking full advantage of that now. Pinkie kept pace easily, but she knew Nye would never be able to. She prayed the thestrals could keep up.

Just as she entered the tunnel of the temple entrance, she saw Rex disappear into one of the dark halls. Now there could be no questioning his destination. Pinkie’s heart throbbed at the thought of Fluttershy all alone in that little room, unaware of just what was barreling towards her.

But it wasn’t just Fluttershy, was it? Fine was in there somewhere. He could see, he could hear, and he would know. Merciful Celestia, what would something like that do to him? The thought was enough to make her push even more speed into her legs. She flew through the halls and rooms, wondering how she would stop Rex. She had nothing.

Nothing.

Except that.

She could see it so clearly, that little highway in her head. That chaotic highway, which she steered through on a runaway wagon, struggling to avoid the giant transport wagons of fear and self-loathing. In her mad rush to escape, she ended up taking an exit, and her wagon rolled to a stop at the familiar corner of sanity and madness. And there, standing on the opposite corner, was Pinkamina.

Pinkamina didn’t move. She didn’t wave or smile or frown. She didn’t even blink. She just stared at Pinkie with an expression best described as blank. Pinkie didn’t want to be here. Sanity and Madness were on the bad side of town. But somehow, she knew this conversation needed to be had. Fluttershy was in trouble. Fine was in trouble.

She fidgeted, not willing to look Pinkamina in the eyes. “I don’t need you. Nye’s here. With his thestral friends. They can do it.”

Pinkamina said nothing, but Pinkie could feel the eyes on her.

“Y-you’re wrong,” she whispered. “They can handle it.”

Cool silence.

“They can’t… can they?” She glanced at Pinkamina. No change at all. She ground her teeth and turned her face away. “Not even gonna speak to me, huh?”

A second. Another.

“W-well, I don’t want to talk to you, either!” She turned around and stomped, muzzle held high.

This showing of defiance only lasted a scant few seconds before she lowered her head once more. “I can’t let you out. I’ve put that behind me. I’m not you anymore.”

Nothing. Pinkie could almost feel her temper rising. “I know Fluttershy’s in trouble! I know that what Rex is gonna do is… is t-terrible. And Fine. Poor, poor Fine…” She cast a glance over her shoulder. Pinkamina remained still as a statue, those blue eyes boring into her own.

Pinkie scowled and set her gaze on her hooves. “Don’t look at me like that. I can’t help them. I can’t! Even if doing nothing is like... really really bad. But I don’t know how. I had to stop. I can’t go back to that.”

Her lip trembled. Her ears splayed back. “Come on, tell me I’m wrong. I know you want to.”

When no answer came, she growled to herself. “Y-you big meanie. Why won’t you talk to me, huh? Is it because I locked you away all this time? What do you want me to do? Maybe you don’t want me to help. Maybe you think it’s funny that Fine’s about to do something that will haunt him for the rest of his life, which is a really long time, longer than I want to think about! He’s already broken enough on the inside, this will just make it worse. And you… You won’t even bother to argue with me!”

She turned on the pony across the street, baring her teeth and taking a low, aggressive pose. “Alright then, be that way! They don’t need your help anyhow! Fine and Fluttershy deserve a better friend than you’ll ever be!”

Pinkamina didn’t so much as blink.

The non-reaction sent Pinkie into a stomping fit. “Y-you… You big meanie! Why won’t you even try talking to me?” At the continued silence, she screamed her frustrations. “I get it it! You don’t care enough! Well I do, and I am not going to let my friends face this alone! You stay here and be a Meany McMeanipants, I’m gonna save my friends!”

A scream pierced her ears. Pinkie came to an abrupt standstill, chest heaving and heart pounding. He was in there, he was trying to do things to her friends. Rex.

Hoofsteps pounding behind her. Another scream.

Nye came to a huffing stop beside her. He took a sharp breath before hissing, “Pinkie, what’s going on?” His head whipped forward at another shriek.

“Get Fluttershy out,” Pinkie replied. “Get her out now.” As soon as the last word left her lips, she ran. She reached for her mane even as she reached the door. Looking inside revealed Fine Crime atop Fluttershy, pinning her belly-first to the floor, a wicked grin on his face. But that was as far as it had gotten, thank Celestia.

The kitchen knife was out. It felt so incredibly light in her hoof, like a feather, and so terribly familiar. A big part of her wanted to drop it, to leave it in some dark place and run away. But the whispers in the back of her mind, the pleas and sobs and words of kindness and lecture that normally held her back, seemed so far away now. They couldn’t hold her back, not this time.

She threw them off with snarl, and her knife flew.

“What the buck are you doing?”

Rex reared back at the sound of Nye’s cry, and the knife sailed past to bounce off the wall with a clatter. Another instant and it would have imbedded into his shoulder.

“What’s this?” He turned to the newcomers, that insidious grin never leaving his face. “Finally decided to show some spunk, did we? Impressive, for such a worthless simpleton. If you wanted to watch, you could have just said so.”

Pinkie moved sideways, clearing the door. Fluttershy scrambled away, only to get jerked to a standstill by the chain. Tears formed rivers down her cheeks as she struggled against the binding.

Another knife was in Pinkie’s hoof. Her breathing came in slow gasps as she pushed back everything she’d told herself over the past decade of her life. She needed that past back, and she needed it right now. It was so easy it almost disturbed her.

But not this time. This time she welcomed the viciousness. Her words were neither forceful nor hesitant. “Keep away from my friend.”

Rex chuckled, sidestepping closer to Fluttershy. “Or you’ll do what, little Miss Baker? Poke me? Poke Fine? I think not.” He started to turn away.

The knife rose. Pinkie felt something new, and yet old at the same time. It stirred within her, threatening, longing. “Don’t move.”

Nye stepped into the room, his hoof raised. “P-Pinkie, be careful. Think about what you’re doing.”

She kept her wide eyes set upon Rex, who watched her out of the corner of his eye. He still had that smug smile. “Listen to the stallion, pony. I don’t think Fine will appreciate having to kill you.”

Pinkie ground her teeth together. “Nye. Get Fluttershy out of here.”

Nye looked to her, then to Rex. He kicked at the floor and braced as if for a sprint. “I don’t know how we’re gonna do that.”

“I’m gonna free her, and then hold him off while you run.”

Another chuckle from Rex, who shook his head and sighed. “Aww, you’re just precious. And dead.”

He whipped his head around and fired a lone red beam.

Fluttershy yelped, for the pink pony was already at her side. Pinkie used a rear hoof to kick the shackle on Fluttershy’s bleeding leg; it promptly snapped open. Fluttershy wasted no time running straight to Nye with a sob. Nye caught her in a quick hug, then thrust her to a thestral waiting behind him. She carried Fluttershy away without a word.

Rex’s head slowly turned, eyes wide and jaw loose. “W-what? How?”

Nye backstepped, stance low and eyes darting between the other two. His voice was cautionary. “Pinkie?”

She waved him away, her sharp eyes not leaving Rex’s. “Go, Nye. Get out of here!”

“But… I can’t… You—”

Rex stepped back, shaking his head. “Fine, what was that? Talk to me, you insufferable—”

“Get out!” Pinkie threw her knife. It landed at Nye’s hooves, making him back away. A second later, she was in his face and shoving him out the door, right into the waiting hooves of the other two thestrals. “Get him out of here!”

“No!” Nye struggled, but against a pair of Night Eye warriors he had no hope of resisting. They dragged him away kicking and screaming. “Pinkie, don’t! He’ll kill you! Let me go, we can’t just leave her!”

Pinkie Sense. She stepped left just as a red beam sliced through the air where her neck would have been. Turning around, she picked her knife off the floor and pulled another one from her mane.

Rex rubbed his head with a grimace, then focused his eyes upon her. His lips pursed. “It seems there’s more to you than I know. I must commend you, Fine; no mortal has ever hidden information from me before.”

Her heart pounded, but her mind was clear. Pinkie braced, aiming her weapons and steadying her breathing. “Fine.”

Rex narrowed his eyes. She took in those rosewood pupils, looked deep inside for the stallion she knew was still in there. The one who had saved her, who had kept her from going back. The one whose smile filled her with Joy, who reminded her that she didn’t face the demons alone. The pony who never looked at her the way she wanted. She thought she was okay with that.

She was wrong.

She gave him a smile. A genuine one, the kind he deserved. He’d enjoy the irony, for certain. “You brought me back with violence, right?”

Her smile faded to a determined frown.

“I’m ready to return the favor.”


For the millionth time, Rainbow cursed Zecora. Why didn’t her stupid potions come with a warning label or something?

Her muscles burned as if she were on fire. Her throat was drier than the San Palomino, her stomach was cramping fiercely, and the sun seemed to be trying to turn her eyes into smoldering craters. Even her feathers hurt. Had she known that drinking those potions would result in a crash like this, she would have thought up a better strategy!

But… she was out. She was in Equestria, and Canterlot Castle was just ahead. All she had to do was keep flapping, even though every rise and fall of her wings sent a fresh tear of fire through her backside. Oh, if only she could sleep! And eat, and drink, and bury herself as far from the sun’s menacing rays as possible.

No. Canterlot. Discord. Her friends. Just keep flapping.

“Keep… K-keep flapping.” By Celestia, did her throat hurt.

The sun glinted off one of the castle’s pearly spires, and she barely avoided screaming. The light seemed to be burning a hole in her skull! She closed her eyes and tried shaking her head. The world spun, and she almost lost control. Panting, sobbing, she fought against the pain and weariness. The castle. The balcony. No, that was to the Royal Library. She needed the throne room. If she could just…

An attempt to gain some lift nearly made her wings seize up. Another sob, a quiet curse, and she settled for the library. It would have to do. She just hoped somepony was watching for her.

Closer. Closer. Just a little closer. Oh, to be on her hooves again! To collapse and sleep and not know the horrible, mind-numbing pain!

Wait… fast. Too fast. She tried to break her descent. Her wings screamed in protest, and she screamed right along with them. The balcony came at her, her wings began to buckle. Abruptly, she was flying sideways.

Crash.

Glass and wood was everywhere. Rainbow tucked her wings in and let the rest of her body go limp as she rolled across lush carpet. Even as she stopped, the world kept spinning. But no, she couldn’t lay here. Her friends needed her to finish the job. She tried to get up, but her legs did little more than slide along the carpet, unable to find purchase.

Voices. Ponies were calling out. If she could talk to one of them…

“Rainbow? What the hay are you doing?”

Rainbow’s heart soared at that familiar voice. Of course, where else would she be but in the library? Thank Celestia's fine flank for eggheads. She tried to turn her head, but her neck retaliated with burning agony.

Gentle hooves rolled her onto her back. “Somepony get a doctor in here, she’s hurt! Rainbow. Rainbow, look at me, it’s Twilight. You’re gonna be okay.”

She was there. That purple face. Good Goddess, she’d never been so happy to see that face, even as blurry as it was. She forced her throat to function though the stinging pain. “T-Twilight…” Good Goddes, did speaking hurt!

Twilight hushed her. Her face, only a stain of purple, cleared when the unicorn moved in close. “Don’t talk. We’ll get you taken care of, I promise. Where’s that doctor?”

“No. T-Twilight.” Rainbow’s leg sent pain right up into her shoulder, but she moved it anyway. She touched the pouch at her exposed side. “C-cure. Discord. N-now.”

“What? Discord?” Twilight’s brow furrowed as her eyes followed Rainbow’s hoof. Her face promptly brightened. “You got the gargoyle skin, didn’t you?”

“Twilight!”

Purple eyes, full of concern, snapped back to her face. “I’m listening, Rainbow.”

“Friends in… in trouble.” She had to suck in a long, slow breath. “Lord Rex. Thestrals. Tidal. We n-need Discord. Now.”

Twilight frowned in thought. After a few seconds, she nodded. Her horn glowed, gently taking the pouch from Rainbow’s saddle. “I don’t know what’s going on or who this ‘Rex’ is, but I’ll tell Luna and Celestia right away. I promise, Rainbow.”

“Hurry. Th-they need…” Rainbow fell back, Twilight’s magic holding her down. Her strength left her as more voices filled her ears.

“We’ve got it, Rainbow. Rest. You did it, okay? Just rest, please.”

Rest. Rest sounded good. She’d done her part, hadn’t she? Discord would be cured.

Rainbow allowed herself to go limp, closing her eyes and relaxing. Her part was over. She’d done it. Nye and the others would be alright. Surely she hadn’t been too late.

Surely.