• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 1,649 Views, 123 Comments

No Heroes: Beyond the Everfree - PaulAsaran



Fluttershy takes it upon herself to cure a friend, but to do so she must acquire a rare ingredient. Accompanied by a few others, she sets out to the lands forgotten by history, the lands beyond the Everfree.

  • ...
3
 123
 1,649

21 – Feeling the Strain

In spite of Nye’s newfound status among them, the thestrals had still laughed at him. Especially Fang. Sure, it hurt at first, but Nye had made the request for a reason. He remembered Fluttershy’s insistence against killing, but more importantly, he knew how much Luna had loved the thestral race. How often had she regaled him with tales of their ancient exploits and honored heroes of a group of ponies she believed she’d never see again? She’d even had a memorial made for them, and unbeknownst to anypony else, had cried over it the night after it had been unveiled.

And so Nye determined that he would not kill one. No matter what, even under these dire circumstances, he’d not be the pony to kill one of Luna’s beloved ‘children.’ This was why, when Fang and Sera insisted he be armed for conflict with a spear, he’d insisted that the iron tip be removed entirely.

It wasn’t so much that Nye was completely against killing, as Sera suspected. Instead, it was that he didn’t trust himself with a weapon. With no legitimate combat experience to speak of – aside from a couple desperate brawls where his life was on the line – and having never held a weapon before, Nye didn’t trust himself to carry a lethal tool and not kill a thestral in his bumbling. Heck, he could even end up slicing open one of his own. So it was that he lurked in the shadows with what amounted to little more than a long, strong pole.

He crept through the darkness, side pressed to the stone wall. The wood felt heavy in his hooves and his shoulder ached from having held it for so long. Even so, he didn’t complain; Nye knew his part in this little adventure, and he’d play it out if it killed him.

He paused next to a window, moonlight streaming through to reveal dust particles in the still air. He looked to the wall opposite him. With her black coat and brown mane, Fang blended surprisingly well with the shadows. The bandages on her wing had been dyed to match her coat as closely as possible, assisting in the illusion. She peered at the stairs a few steps down the hall, her weapon tucked under one leg. It was a most unusual thing, half its length a smooth wooden handle and the other half long, curved blade. She’d called it a ‘falx’ and claimed it was a rare weapon even for thestrals.

Nye only questioned its worth for as long as it took Fang to utilize it in a fight. After that, he vowed never to anger her when she happened to be holding one.

She moved forward, keeping to the shadows. Nye did the same, ducking just enough to keep beneath the window. Four more thestrals followed, so silent they would have been unnoticed had he not already known of them. They paused at the stairwell, Fang waiting while Nye maneuvered to the other side. Though he gripped his weapon tight and felt sweat beading on his brow, he forced down his anxiety and made himself look around the corner.

Seeing nothing but steps, he nodded to Fang. She disappeared through the doorway an instant later, followed by one of the mares before Nye went down as well. They moved swiftly, the lone pony doing his best to emulate their movements and make as little noise as possible. Not easy, all things considered, but he’d had a fine teacher. Namely, the experience of spending two days skulking about in order to keep his insides where they belonged rather than decorating the tip of an enemy spear. Maybe not perfect, but it got the job done.

Two guards had been at the bottom steps. ‘Had’ because Fang and her fellow mare had already knocked them unconscious and were placing them in the corner of the hall by the time he reached them.

Cells lined the walls, many of them filled with prisoners who had yet to notice the new arrivals. Nye was glad for the dark leather he’d been given by one of the wounded Night Eye soldiers for this little excursion; it concealed his white coat quite nicely. The team moved swiftly, Fang and Nye taking the lead, looking into each cell in search of one thestral in particular.

Some of the prisoners were finally beginning to take notice of the visitors when they at last found the right cell. Fortunately, none were eager to call out to them; thestrals knew how to be quiet. Fang pressed her muzzle through the cells and hissed, catching the attention of the two prisoners that remained awake. Brief words were exchanged, and soon they’d roused one of their number.

Elder Candid – former elder, Nye reminded himself – showed no signs of weariness when he approached the bars. His eyes shifted to Nye for only a moment before he addressed Fang in a whisper. “I’m guessing things aren’t going too well up above.”

“You could say that,” Fang replied, her words clipped. “You know what’s going on, right?”

Candid closed his eyes, weariness coming over his features. “Lord Rex. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine he would return in my lifetime. He did that.”

Nye and Fang looked to where he gestured, a cell opposite Candid’s. The bars had melted, the interior filled with blackened corpses. Nye repressed a shiver, remembering the rumors of Rex coming down here to visit the traitors. Apparently they were not as exaggerated as others hoped.

Fang turned back to Candid, lips pursed and expression hard. “Not everypony’s given in to him. We could use some help.”

Nye examined the former elder suspiciously. “Before that, I want to know why you didn’t join Rex.”

When Candid looked at him, it wasn’t with the derision and loathing he’d come to expect. If anything, Candid appeared guilty. He spoke directly to Nye, and his tone matched his manner. “Because I love Tidal, my tribe, and Princess Luna. I – we – would never submit to that monster. We are in here because we were willing to fight our own kin and family and die for what we believe. We aren’t about to abandon all of that just because somepony comes along with bigger teeth than the ones who already whipped us.”

Fang raised an eyebrow. “And Rex didn’t kill you?”

“He killed some of us,” he replied, pointing once more at the ruined cell. “And left the bodies, as a reminder. He was going to come back tomorrow to ask us again.”

Nye shuddered and refused to take another look. “Good thing we showed up when we did, then. Here’s the deal: we have a plan to stop Rex, but it requires we stall for time and we’re pressed for horsepower.”

Fang, her gaze shifting to the door periodically, added, “Elder Sera is ready to forgive us, Candid. You can—”

“We’ll do it.”

Nye’s ears perked. He took in the elder’s firm expression with narrowed eyes. “You didn’t even listen to what’s being offered.”

“And you apparently were not listening when I said we won’t let Rex win,” Candid snapped back. “I don’t need rewards, I need to protect Tidal. Anything that lets me do so is good enough for me. And I’m sure my comrades will back me up on this.” He glanced over his shoulder, where his fellow prisoners had lined up stoically. He turned his eye back on Fang. “I trust the rest of the Coven agree with Sera’s decision?”

Fang’s expression darkened. “There are no other elders now.”

Candid sucked down a sharp breath, the air hissing between his fangs. The other prisoners mulled over this, their whispers echoing in the darkness. After only a moment’s thought, Candid raised his head high. “Very well. Release us, and I swear in the name of our Holy Mother of All Night that we will fight against Rex with all our worth. I will move for Sera to be named the Coven Master when your father returns.”

“Coven…” Fang’s lips pursed, but she nodded. “I will let her know.” She turned to the other infiltrators. “Let them out.”

As they went about freeing the prisoners, Nye watched the scene with a sick feeling. He’d acknowledged before the need for more thestrals on their side, but he just couldn’t find it in himself to trust these… traitors. Being outvoted didn’t make him like this situation any more than before.

“Mr. Stone.”

He turned to meet the freed Candid’s gaze. “Sir.”

Candid shifted, his wings giving a weak flap. Only now that he was out of the shadows of his cell did the long cut in his left shoulder make itself known. It looked a lot better now than it had a few days ago. The former elder’s eyes shifted as he considered his words. “Is it…” He pursed his lips, one leg rising as if he were about to step away. Then, with a heavy sigh, he put it back down. “Would it be at all possible for you to send the princess a message?”

Nye didn’t lose his hawkish expression. “So what, you believe me now?”

Candid’s expression grew pained. “I… don’t know. But Lord Rex, a demon from our most ancient lore, has returned. I saw him with my own eyes as he burned good thestrals to cinders.” He shook his head with a growl. “If one such as he has returned, why not She Who Brings the Shadow? I am willing to accept the possibility. And…” Though his face scrunched up and his teeth were gritted, he bowed his head low to Nye. “I ask your forgiveness for my behavior. I see now that I may have been rash in my decisions.”

Nye stared, mind blank at this unexpected display. Seconds passed. He abruptly became aware of everypony watching the exchange, and with a distracting cough, found the words he probably should have spoken right away. “It’s alright. I m-mean, apology accepted.”

“Thank you.” Candid raised his head, but offered no smile. “It’s going to take some time to grow accustomed to what’s coming, but I shall try.”

Nye sighed, his shoulders feeling oddly heavy. “I know what you mean. Let’s just see how it goes, hmm? As for contacting Luna, I’m afraid my bottle was broken up at the temple, so that’s not an option for us now.”

Candid heaved a deep sigh, his shoulder going slack. “That is a pity. I had hoped to beg her forgiveness for my actions.”

Fang appeared between them, her expression as grim as ever. “You can earn it by helping us out. I know you lot have been stuck in cells for a while, but there’s no time to waste.”

“Understood,” Candid stood tall, appearing every inch the soldier ready for combat. “What needs to be done?”

Nye and Fang shared a look. To his relief, Fang took over the directing. “Half of our units have already been captured by thestrals unwilling to disobey Rex. He plans to murder our foals, so our top priority is to keep them on the move and hidden. Can you assign some of the Night Eyes to that?”

“Murdering children. I knew Rex was a fiend, but that’s far lower than I expected.” Candid shook his mane and scowled. “I can do better than what you suggest. There’s a place we can hide the foals that Rex won’t anticipate. It’s at the foot of the mountain, known to very few.”

Nye smiled at the thought. “I like it. Where better than right under his muzzle?”

“Now, hold on.” Fang raised a hoof between them, brows lowering. “Known to few, but not unknown. If Rex finds it, he’ll be able to hit them fast. I don’t—”

One of her infiltrators appeared from the shadows to whisper something in her ear.

Scowling, Fang nodded and turned her attention back to Candid and Nye. “Get ready for a fight, chirops; we’ve got company. We’ll discuss this later.”


Fine lay relaxed on the Sanctuary’s throne, watching as the last group of thestrals left the temple. He plucked a few berries from a nearby plate and popped them into his ever-smiling mouth. A pity he couldn’t taste them; judging by Lord Rex’s reaction, they must have been exquisite.

“No, it’s not that.” Rex eyed one of the red berries, turning it about in an aura of magic. His? Fine’s? It was hard to tell anymore. “It’s just… taste, Verity. There is no sense more incredible than that. To have been robbed of it for centuries was one of the worst aspects of being imprisoned in those ponds. Something could taste terrible, and I’d still love it for the simple joy of being able to recognize the fact.”

And so you keep me from being able to have it.

“No no, that’s not how it works.” Rex sucked the berry between his teeth and chewed slowly. He made a small moaning sound that, under different circumstances, might have been disturbing. Once the fruit had finally been swallowed, he said, “Our symbiosis is more of an ‘on-off’ variety.”

Fine considered this revelation. So you’re saying that you can taste, or I can taste, but never both?

“Exactly! This is why I like you, Verity, you’re smarter than the average equine.” He grabbed one of the apple-like fruits and took a greedy bite.

It’s Fine Crime.

“Itsh wha’eveh ah shay i’ish,” Rex corrected with a mouthful of fruity pulp. He swallowed and wiped juice from his muzzle. “I like ‘Verity,’ so you’re Verity.”

Fine felt something akin to a fire in the back of his mind. It’s Fine, or you’re Rep.

Rex’s claw snapped closed, crushing the fruit in a spray of mush. He straightened up, teeth clenched tight as he hissed, “Where did you hear that name?”

Where do you think?

The fist slammed on the throne, the impact loud in the still afternoon air. “I am Rex, and don’t you forget it! I have evolved, I have improved, I am better than that witless hatchling!”

So much better that Catrina might look at you as something other than a hapless servant?

Rex snarled… but then calmed. Gradually, he relaxed, the smile returning to his lips. “And what about you?”

Fine hesitated as he wondered just what his puppeteer was thinking of. When nothing obvious made itself known to him, he remained silent.

This, it seemed, wasn’t enough for Rex. “You speak of my affections for Catrina as if they were pitiable. You don’t have much room to talk, my friend.”

This new conversational direction left Fine with a sense of unease. Seeking the need to reclaim control, he replied with a smug, I don’t know, Rep. I never bowed and scraped at somepony’s heels like a pet.

“Is that how you see it?” Rex chuckled and returned to his leisurely pose. “At least my flame recognized my attention. You danced to her tune like a puppy, and she didn’t even notice, did she?”

As strange as it was, Fine was certain the sensation running through him could best be described as ‘cold.’ He couldn’t stop his thoughts from turning to Fluttershy’s soft face.

“And when you finally worked up the balls to ask, she rejected you!” Rex barked a laugh, resting his forelegs behind his head. “And your response was so pathetic. But then, it only makes sense, right? You’ve always been a monster of a pony, haven’t you?”

I’m not a monster. The words sounded feeble even in his mind.

“Oh, yes, a grade-A, blood soaked, grinning sadist of a freak. You’re about as soft and fluffy as a cragodile, and ten times as lethal.”

That doesn’t mean—

Rex’s grin turned malicious, his words leeching into Fine’s mental defenses between huffing laughs. “And the funniest part of all? You actually thought somepony can love you! You, a certifiable crime against decency. Isn’t that funny? I think that’s funny.”

Fine stewed in those words, his mind simmering with vicious thoughts. He had never liked Rex, but what he felt now—

“Is hate.” Rex eyed the back of a claw leisurely. “You want to kill me. You want to slice me up with that little black unicorn’s horn you carry around all the time.”

Oh, yes. Fine did. If he had control of his body, if he could just move his legs on his own… He could just imagine throttling the foul beast’s neck.

Another laugh. “And you’d be killing yourself. You’re so full of hate and violence, you can’t even think straight.”

If killing me meant killing you, I’d welcome it! I swear in Luna’s name, I’m gonna—

Abruptly, Rex leapt to his hooves. Gone was the smile, replaced a wicked sneer. “That’s right, you puny foal. You’d beat me, stab me, choke me, rip me apart! And all the while, Fluttershy will look on. And you wouldn’t have it any other way, because you’re a natural born killer. Your only response to a threat is violence, because it’s all you know. It’s all you will ever know, you twisted freak.”

The words seared. Fine recoiled, anger fleeing in the face of such insults. He felt so very… small. No. That’s not me. I’m better than that.

“Are you?” Rex’s eyebrows lowered, his lips pursed. “Do you really believe that anything I just said isn’t true?”

Silence. Fine didn’t want to think about it. He tried not to. It happened anyway, horrid thoughts creeping their way into his mind. He remembered every deep incision, every splurt of blood, every gurgling gasp. He kept shrinking away, desperate not to remember, telling himself over and over again that he’d moved on.

But he could only run so far.

No.

“That’s right.” Rex examined his claw once more, and Fine could almost see the blood dripping from it. “You know exactly what you are. How did you ever think anypony could love you?”

He wished he could close his eyes. He didn’t want to see this, see anything. He just wanted to curl up in a ball and hide. He really had been stupid, hadn’t he?

“L-Lord Rex?”

Rex shifted his head just enough to catch the pink pony standing just at the Sanctuary’s threshold. Pinkie trembled at the sight of him, but managed, “Y-your bath is ready, as commanded.”

Fine wished he could turn away. She was looking at him. Him, with those freaky hoof-claws and unnatural dragon wings. This wasn’t him. He didn’t want her to see him.

Rex approached, body set low in a prowling stance. Pinkie saw this and almost stepped back, but somehow managed to keep still. Fine felt that cold sensation once more. Rex. Don’t hurt her.

No response. Rex stopped before the shaking pony, expression dark. His leg snapped forward, and Pinkie yelped as he caught her jaw in a tight grip. Still, she didn’t try to escape. She only stared straight into him, her wide blue eyes shining with fear. Fine waited, longing for some physical means to express his anxiety.

At last, Rex spoke. “Tell me what you think of Verity Fine Crime.”

Pinkie’s unblinking gaze shifted, revealing her uncertainty. “Fine? H-he’s—”

The other claw darted up, making her flinch, but it stopped short of ripping her face open. Instead, it brushed a lock of mane aside. “Tell it to him, to his face. Let him know just what you think. Is he a freak?”

“A f-freak? Fine’s n—” Her eyes darted to the claw by her face as it flexed, barely tapping her cheek. She swallowed hard. “He’s… He’s a… F-Fine’s…”

“Does he scare you?” Rex rose to his full height, lifting Pinkie into the air, still clutching her chin tightly. “Does he not make you afraid for your very life?”

Fine wanted to say something, to stop this before things got out of hoof. Yet he found his thoughts jumbled. He couldn’t say or do anything. All he saw was Pinkie’s soft face caught in that claw. As much as he wished to never hear the truth, he silently begged her to speak it and spare herself.

Pinkie grasped at Rex’s arm, her hind hooves just barely touching the ground. She whimpered, moisture building in her eyes as she spoke. “Y-yes. Yes. He’s scary. He’s… He’s dangerous.”

Rex let out a long breath that Fine hadn’t realized was being held. He ran the back of a talon along Pinkie’s cheek, his voice a hissing whisper. “And tell me, was it ever possible for Fluttershy to love him? Does an aberration like him ever have a chance at being with the pony he loves?”

Chewing her lip, Pinkie stared into Fine’s eyes. He wished she wouldn’t. He didn’t want to see her face when she said it.

Her reply came as quietly as a light breeze. “No.”

Fine couldn’t feel his heart, but he could have sworn something akin to it had burst. He sank into a miasma of his own creation, floating in a pit of hard reality. He felt so… alone. But he could still see her, the way she watched him, the way the tears formed rivers down her cheeks. He couldn’t stand to see her like that anymore.

Let her go. You’ve proven your point.

The smile, broad and smug, returned to Rex’s face. Slowly, he lowered Pinkie down to her hooves. He patted her cheek before releasing her jaw, then stepped past her for the back of the temple. “Thank you, Pinkie. You’ve been a dear. When the next messenger comes, inform him that I intend to step up their re-education starting tomorrow. I expect them here early, bright and bushy-tailed.”

“Y-yes, My Lord.”

Fine was glad when they finally reached the inside of the temple. He belonged in the shadows. Nopony could look at him there.

Now if only he could cry.


Pinkie longed to smile again. She stood outside the room, a pair of old stone plates on her back, and fought with her face. Smiling was her specialty, she should be able to do it! The corners of her lips trembled and shook. Her jaw started to ache. Maybe, if she stopped thinking about it, then she could—

Fine’s face stared at her. That wicked, sharp-toothed smile, the claws gripping her chin so much it stung. But the eyes. Such horrible rosewood eyes, not full of malice or anger, but fear. She’d never seen those eyes on Fine.

For it had been Fine, hadn’t it?

Her legs were like jelly. She caught herself before she could collapse and tried to take slow, soothing breaths.

“Pinkie? Is that you?”

She flinched; no point in hiding now. With a sigh, she trotted around the corner and through the door with head hanging low. “Hey, Fluttershy.” A rattle of chain announced the approach of her friend. “I brought you some supper.”

“Oh, Pinkie.” Fluttershy lifted her head up by the chin, looking her face over carefully. “You're a mess. Are you okay?”

Pinkie took in Fluttershy’s tangled mane. She had bags under her eyes and her wings were in desperate need of preening. “You don’t look so good, either.”

“Don’t mind me, I’m not the one running all over the place trying to keep that monster happy.” Fluttershy reached for the plates, but the chain stopped her before she could grab them.

“Here.” Pinkie stepped closer, letting her friend take both items. They were covered in fresh fruits and vegetables, leftovers that Rex hadn’t bothered to eat for himself. With all the things he’d been making her do around the temple, she’d simply not had time to forage for extra for herself and Fluttershy.

Fluttershy took the plates and set them aside, then pulled Pinkie towards the small bed of leaves in the corner. Pinkie was confused by this at first, but then Fluttershy made her sit on the pile. “Wait, no, this is your—”

“Hush.” Fluttershy brought the plates over, offering one to Pinkie. “You need to rest. Even you can’t keep going forever.”

Pinkie accepted the plate, her head bowed. “Rex won’t like it. I can’t sleep on the leaves. They were meant for you.”

“They’re not much better than the floor, really.” Fluttershy nudged the plate with her muzzle. “Go on, eat up.” She followed her own advice by chewing on some roots that looked like carrots, only white.

The two mares were silent for a time, focusing on their meals. Pinkie wished she could talk more to Fluttershy. A joke would be a great way to cheer them both up. Pinkie would have given anything to be able to tell one right about now. All she could think about were the horrible words Rex had made her say that afternoon, and the sheer misery in Fine’s eyes.

Her ears perked; Fluttershy had spoken. She looked up slowly. “Huh?”

Fluttershy’s plate was empty. Pinkie’s had hardly been touched. “I said, you have to eat. Come on, Pinkie. Please?”

“Oh, sorry.” Pinkie forced herself to chew on a few berries. They tasted like dirt, but she swallowed them dutifully.

Fluttershy chewed her lip as she watched. “How long have we been waiting?”

Once again, it took Pinkie a moment to register the query. “Three days as of tonight.” She paused, an onion just outside the grasp of her teeth. She pulled it back and stared at the thing, a weight growing heavier and heavier upon her shoulders. A sudden urge came over her, a desperate need to cry. She fought back, but her lips shook. “Th-three days. Rainbow said it would take three days.”

“Three to four,” Fluttershy corrected. “She might not have made it yet.”

“What if she doesn’t?” Pinkie’s hooves shook. “What if Fine’s doomed to be a slave forever? What if I have to keep looking into those eyes and… and s-seeing…”

Before she knew it, she was wrapped in Fluttershy’s legs. The tears were coming and she couldn’t stop them, so she let her plate fall and held her friend close. Soothing nothings drifted to her ears as she quietly cried. What if Rainbow had died out there, eaten by some toothy monster? What if Nye had already been skewered by some thestral’s spear? Polar might have been fried in the inferno, Fang could be cornered and starving. And Fine… poor, poor Fine. She never wanted to see that look in his eyes again!

Her thoughts ran in tragic circles, but gradually she came out of the terrible stupor. At some point Fluttershy had laid her down in the leaves, the pegasus holding her close the entire time. Fluttershy sniffed and pulled away to rub her eyes, then stared at her hooves meekly. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize,” Fluttershy whispered. “I can’t imagine what that monster is making you do. I’ve just been sitting here bored all this time. Except when he comes to talk, which isn’t an improvement.” She nuzzled Pinkie’s cheek. “Are you up for some more food?”

Considering the idea for a moment, Pinkie sighed with a quiet “Mm-hmm” and sat up. She felt so weary, she suspected she could fall asleep standing. But Fluttershy was right, she needed her energy, so she pulled the dropped plate closer and ate robotically. The fruit remained tasteless and now had a little dirt from the floor as a spice, but she kept going until it was all gone.

Fluttershy had been very quiet since she’d resumed eating. A glance showed her to be seemingly lost in her own world. Pinkie sidled a little closer and leaned against her shoulder. “Bit for your thoughts?”

It took a moment for Fluttershy to respond. “You don’t have to stay.”

Pinkie blinked, then looked around the bland room. Finding no inspiration, she turned back to her friend. “What do you mean?”

Fluttershy sighed and bowed her head, hiding her face behind her mane. “It hurts you to be here, doesn’t it? To see Fine like this. To have Rex running you ragged. Maybe it would be better if you went to hide with Nye.”

Pinkie tried to look Fluttershy in the eye. “But what about you?”

Turning her head away, Fluttershy replied, “I’ll be fine.”

“No you won’t.” It was Pinkie’s turn to start the hugging, giving Fluttershy a tight squeeze around her barrel. “You don’t have to put on a strong face, Shy. I’ll be here with you.”

“But you’re hurting.” Fluttershy reached up as if to push Pinkie’s hooves away, but put no real effort into it. “I don’t want you hurting too.”

For the first time in days, Pinkie smiled. It was a small, frail thing, but it felt good anyway. She rested her chin on Fluttershy’s shoulder and sighed. “Sometimes, you remind me of my sister Marble.”

Fluttershy tilted her head, her mane tickling Pinkie’s muzzle. “I didn’t know you had a sister.”

“I did.” Pinkie nodded against her friend’s shoulder. “She was real quiet. I see a lot of her in you. When she did speak, she was real nice, but she was always scared too.”

“Sounds like we would have gotten along well.” Fluttershy glanced at her companion. “Where is she now?”

A familiar lump lodged itself between Pinkamina’s heart and ribs, making her chest feel terribly tight. She closed her eyes and remembered a sound, a voice like she’d never wanted to hear again. It sent unwholesome tingles down her spine and left her throat dry.

“Pinkie?”

“She’s gone,” Pinkie whispered. “When we were really young. I…”

Blood. It made her hooves sticky. It threatened to bring the fruits and vegetables back out of her stomach.

“Oh, Pinkie. I’m sorry.”

“Me too,” Pinkie whispered. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Fluttershy turned around and returned the embrace. “It’s alright, Pinkie. You don’t have to protect me. I’m not going anywhere.”

The misery shifted into something new, a burning fire in her heart. She held on tightly to Fluttershy and let out a particularly foul curse. “I was supposed to be comforting you. I s-saw you were sad and I tried, but… b-but no, it’s turned around again! I can’t h-help you. I can’t help Fine. I can’t help anypony! I really am worthless.”

With a gasp, Fluttershy pulled back to look her in the eye. “That’s not true at all. Please, don’t ever say that. You’re not worthless, Pinkie.”

“But I haven’t done anything valuable at all!” She tried to pull away, but Fluttershy didn’t let go. “I haven’t been fighting, I can’t make ponies smile anymore, I was no help at all meeting the elders—”

“Stop it.” Fluttershy shook her, albeit gently. “Stop, please. You’ve brought so much to this journey, Pinkie Pie. I’m really glad you came.”

The familiar burn was in Pinkie’s eyes again. “B-but I can’t help you. I can’t help Fine. I can’t do anything in this situation.” She sniffed and stared forlornly into her friend’s gaze. “What am I supposed to do, Fluttershy? Everypony’s got something important to do, and I’m just… just here.”

Fluttershy was quiet, her lips working soundlessly and her ears splayed back. Pinkie waited, her heart bleeding. She silently begged for an answer, some sort of support. If she could just feel useful, like she was making a difference…

The quiet lingered between them. Every second felt worse than the last. Pinkie felt like screaming and crying at the same time, but couldn’t conjure up the energy for either. So instead she just stared at the floor and wished she was back at Sugarcube Corner, playing with the twins and not having a care in the world. She missed those two little cupcakes. She missed Mr. and Mrs. Cake, and Rarity and Applejack and Twilight. She missed her bed and Cranky Doodle and the Crusaders. She wanted to make Keen laugh, to plan a birthday party, to sing silly songs.

She wanted to go home.

But more than any of that, she wanted Fine back. Even if he never looked at her like she wanted, just having Fine be Fine again would be a beautiful thing.

Fluttershy’s soft voice ended the silence. “Pinkie, I know things seem bad. I know you feel like you haven’t done much. I’ve felt that way myself a few times.” She leaned forward to nuzzle Pinkie. She was curiously warm. “You brought us joy and laughter throughout this trip. You kept us happy and well-fed. You’re more important than you know.”

They were nice words. Kind words, but only words.

At least Fluttershy was trying. Pinkie leaned into her, lips trembling into a weak smile. “Thanks.”

Her friend wasn’t fooled. Pinkie knew. Fluttershy knew she knew. But no more words were offered. They recognized, mutually, that no words could fix this problem. Pinkie wouldn’t complain anymore tonight.

Fluttershy had enough to worry about.


The ache was back. Rainbow paid it no mind; she still could fly for a few hours before it got bad.

Her wings continued their steady beat, cutting into the wild air with a precision born from days of nonstop practice. As a pony who prided herself on breaking records, she knew that this one certainly qualified. A pegasus flying for days straight without a break? Unheard of. Granted, Zecora’s potion was the only thing keeping her going, and that meant the ‘record’ wouldn’t count. Were her purpose not so dire, that might have bothered her.

An endless buzzing sensation lingered in the back of her head. Or her mind? She couldn’t be sure which. In all likelihood, it was her brain begging for sleep. For what had to have been the thousandth time, she silently thanked Zecora’s foresight.

She reached into her pack and pulled out the bottle. Her movements were careful, not daring to drop the precious cargo. Not that it would matter for much longer; she had maybe two doses left before the blue liquid was gone. That should be enough to get her to Canterlot… right?

Gazing at the dark landscape below offered no clues. Just forest as far as the eye could see. But at least it was forest; the trees here had distinctly different shapes and colors from those around Tidal. She’d left the jungle behind some time ago, which could only mean she now flew over the Everfree. Did the thestrals consider the Everfree Forest as part of the Wilds?

She’d been playing such questions over and over in her mind for the last few days. A distraction, no more, and always arriving at the same answers, if answers were to be found. With a sigh, she put the potion away and looked to the stars. The moon shined brightly despite its waning state. Remembering how Luna had spoken to the thestrals, she silently wished she could use that means of communication now.

Nye wasn’t a warrior. He knew it, she knew it. He could be surprisingly resilient in tight situations, but his resourcefulness couldn’t completely cover his lack of experience or skill. If he encountered somepony who really knew how to fight…

And this time his enemies were thestrals.

She shook her head forcefully; no, Fang was with him. And Sera. They’d protect him. They’d promised her in Luna’s name. They would honor that promise. Nye would be fine. She was fretting over nothing.

Unless Rex found him.

“Stop thinking about it, RD.” She tapped herself on the head a couple times, trying to knock away her negativity. Her vision blurred slightly, but cleared up after a few blinks. She checked the stars; yes, still moving East. Even with the North Star gone, she was trained well enough to know. Did Luna ever intend to replace that thing?

She mulled on that distracting concept for a while. Surely the princess could re-create Polaris. After all, she’d made all the stars in the sky. So what was stopping her?

A strong gust threatened to push her off course. Running Polar’s crash course through her head, she adjusted and let the winds corral her for a few seconds before angling her wings. She used her momentum to drift into a smooth, slow curve, bringing herself back on track. When the flapping resumed, the burning came back.

Not as bad as it could be. Keep flapping.

Fluttershy. She was being held by that monster. And Fine Crime was even worse off. She shouldn’t have left them. What was she doing, running away like this? ‘Strategy,’ they called it. Screw strategy, she was supposed to represent loyalty! How was this—

Stop thinking about it.” Rainbow squeezed her eyes closed and counted to ten, then did it again just in case.

Pinkie was with them. She wouldn’t let anything bad happen.

Pfft, right. Pinkie the Party Pony. What was she supposed to do, throw Rex a ‘Best Tyrant Ever’ party?

A wave of guilt washed over her. Pinkie wasn’t useless, not by a long shot. She was resourceful, and smarter than she let on, and she had… whatever it was that let Pinkie do Pinkie things. She might not be able to beat Rex in a fight, but she could certainly keep herself safe. Leaving her with Fluttershy was the right move. The best move. If anypony could help Fluttershy get away, it was Pinkie.

She waited for the inevitable negative side to show up. And waited. And waited some more.

Then it dawned upon her: out of all her friends left behind, it was in Pinkie she had the most faith. It felt so odd to think it, she just had to try saying it.

“Pinkie is the best pony for this situation.”

It didn’t sound weird. She’d said it out loud, and it didn’t sound weird.

“Huh.” She thought on it, a smile steadily worming its way onto her lips. When she noticed it, she laughed; even all this way and without any sign whatsoever of a pink mane, Pinkie still managed to lighten her mood. Element of Laughter, indeed.

“Pinkie’s got this,” she whispered, confidence beginning to swell in her heart. “And if Pinkie’s got this, I’ve gotta believe the others will too. They’ll hold out.” She felt at the pieces of gargoyle skin nestled in a pouch under one of her wings. “Just a little longer, guys. I’ll make it in time, that’s a Pinkie Promise.”

Her eyes turned forward and she forced a little more effort into her wings. The stinging she could tolerate. A few more hours, then she’d take some of the potion to make it go away. She’d been gone three days, surely Equestria couldn’t be that much farther. Any minute now she’d see its edge and be soaring over Ponyville.

Her thoughts turned to Fine Crime, trapped in his own body, watching as Rex caused his friends harm. The idea brought back painful memories, memories of looking forward to Equestria’s submission, of being ready to kill her allies, of serving its intended conqueror like a dog. But that had been different. At the time, she’d had no idea, and only her memories could haunt her. Fine was living every second of it, fully aware and unable to do anything to stop himself.

It may have been Lightning who had saved her, but it was Fine who planned the counterattack. She owed him. They all owed him.

She would repay her debt.