• Published 2nd Oct 2015
  • 11,413 Views, 307 Comments

Fractured Bonds - Midnight Radiance



Spike is accused of a crime he didn't commit and his friends and family turned their backs on him. There is only one who can understand the hatred in his heart of being betrayed and Spike will use that hate to severe the ties once and for all.

  • ...
44
 307
 11,413

Chapter 4

Fluttershy stood there trembling, as if she was standing out in the dead of winter with nothing to cover her body to give her warmth, in the poorly lit room as she stared into the mirror before her and saw two glowing green emerald eyes. Eyes that she's known for years, once kind and beautiful now filled with malice. Eyes that she dreaded to see again after she heard of his escape from Tartarus. Those eyes, eyes that belonged to only one being...

“S-Spike...” Fluttershy stuttered out as she gazed into the mirror. Too frightened to turn around.

“So… you remember my name after all these years.... and here I thought I was so easily forgotten, just as I was so easily thrown into hell for life!” Spike roared as he spoke to the pegasi, shaking the room slightly.

Fluttershy whimpered in fear as fresh tears started to form in her eyes. She refused her body’s natural instinct to turn around and face him, subconsciously believing that if she couldn't see the danger, then it wouldn't be able to harm her.

“Turn around Fluttershy,” Spike ordered.

Fluttershy ignored him, shutting her eyes tightly to try to calm herself down. This only infuriated Spike as he clenched his fist as steam poured from it.

“I SAID TURN AROUND!” Spike roared again as he threw green fire from his right claw at the dresser beside Fluttershy, incinerating it on contact.

Fluttershy jumped as she quickly turned around to face her old friend to see that he had changed from the last time they met. He had become taller and his tail had become longer on the floor some, his purple scales had become darker, the spines on his head and tail have grown a bit longer and sharper with a darker shade of green. His body was no longer scrawny, he had built up a lot of muscle and his eyes which use to carry so much love and joy was replaced with hatred, loneliness and… sadness...

As Fluttershy gazed upon his figure, her heart started to stop and her body became pale as his eyes peered into her own, as if he was gazing at her very soul.

“Fluttershy… do you know how it feels to live in despair? Forever powerless to fix what is wrong. Losing what meant everything to you and to be left with nothing?” Spike spoke in a sulky tone. “I'm sure you can relate now.”

Fluttershy clenched her fist as her body allowed her some strength to move against her stiff joints. “Y-You....How could you do this!? All of my friends...They’re...they’re gone!” Fluttershy screamed as she dropped to her knees, tears pouring down her cheeks as Spike looked down at her unmoved by this action.

“Just like you did to me when you abandoned me for life. I was basically dead to you and the others, so to me, this is no different.”

Fluttershy then looked up at Spike and spoke as she wept. “T-They didn't have to suffer. Why couldn't you have just come for me?”

“Because,” Spike paused before continuing. “They are precious to you. They mean something to your life, your very existence.” He then knelt down to Fluttershy, so that he was at eye level, and whispered as he placed a claw on the side of her face, which she flinched at, but was frozen in place by her fears. “And like I said earlier. You can now relate to my pain. I want you to understand how it felt to lose what was so dear to you, just as you and the girls were to me. Only through this pain will you understand how I feel. Y-You all meant so much to me. I-I... loved all of you, I...” Spike's voice lowered to the point Fluttershy couldn't hear him as his eyes lowered some as his inner turmoil got the better of him, causing his mind to drift to the past he treasured so much, a time he wished would always stay the same.


As I watched, Twilight talked to the butter-coated mare with extremely long light pink hair. I concealed my presence behind a bush. As Twilight introduced herself, the butter coated mare mumbled one thing or another. I couldn't exactly hear her from my position. Twilight kept talking to her and all she did was whimper and as Twilight continued to converse with her, I zoned out for a bit to be left alone with my thoughts.

“She's cute. Not Rarity cute, but still.” I looked over at Twilight as she turned around walked back over in my direction.

“Well, that was easy,” Twilight said as I walked around the bushes to meet her.

As I was about to respond to her the butter-coated mare squealed about me being a dragon or something as I watched her take flight, zooming over to us at such a speed that I wouldn't say was like that pony Rainbow Dash, but still, that speed was very surprising. She crashed into Twilight sending her over my head and stopped in front of me, unfazed by her action she then started rambling on about one thing or another.

'Wow, never expected that. She was so quiet talking to Twilight and now she's...Wait, Spike! You need to pay attention. She's talking to you.'

“Wow your so cute,” Fluttershy exclaims in her excitement, not really thinking too much about what she just said, causing blood to rush to her cheeks, slightly painting them pink.

I smirked at her compliment and looked over at a dazed Twilight who was still on the ground. “Well, well, well,” I grinned as leaned back in her direction with my arms folded and my eyes closed as she continued to praise my very being. 'I'm really going to like this mare. Too bad I didn't meet her before I met Rarity.'

As I was standing there, enjoying the worshiping of my new friend, Twilight's anti-social ways got the better of her… again as I felt my body getting grabbed in a telekinetic grip and dragged across the ground, my feet kicking up some dirt while making a trail until I stop by her side.

“Well, we have to get going. We have a lot of work to do later on.” Twilight said in a slightly irritated tone before she looked at me with a glare. “Come on.” She started walking off and on instinct I followed, not before waving goodbye to her, leaving our new friend standing there… well for a moment.

“ Wait, wait!” The butter mare rushed up to my side and started walking with me. “What's your name?”

I smiled as I looked at her. “My name is Spike.”

“Hi Spike, I'm Fluttershy. Oh wow, a talking dragon. I didn't know dragons could talk. What do dragons talk about?”

“Well, what do you want to know?”

“Absolutely everything!”

“Ugh!” Twilight rolled her eyes in annoyance and continued to walk as they talked beside her.

“Well okay. From what my mother, Celestia, told me. I started out as a small purple and green egg.”

“Celestia? P-Princess Celestia is your mother?” Fluttershy said in surprise.

“Yep, she hatched my egg about 15 years ago,”

“Wow, this is so unexpected....Um....W-What happened to your dragon parents? I-If you don't mind me asking.”

Spike sighed softly as the grin he wore upon his face when talking to Fluttershy twisted into a frown. “That is something I just don't know. When Celestia found my egg, she told me that she found me in a grove with no dragons to be found, so she took me in and raised me… Well after she hatched me that is. Teaching me everything I know now. It is thanks to her that I'm even here now.”

“Oh Wow. Oh, my. That is so amazing! A dragon raised by not only a pony but Princess Celestia herself!” Fluttershy was so thrilled to hear this. So many things ran through her mind at once. 'I always believed all dragons were dangerous creatures, but this dragon is different. He was brought up differently. How did his life go while being around ponies? Oh, I must know!' “Spike, how was your life adapting to a ponies? You must tell me everything.”

Spike smiled 'Wow she really wants to know everything about me.' “Well…”

As Spike told Fluttershy everything about his life, Twilight looked at them out of the corner of her eye as she walked beside them in annoyance. 'Great! Another mare catches Spike's interest. What is with these ponies? Sheesh Spike. You're already crushing on Rarity. Now you’re interested in another mare who barely spoke a few words with me?' Twilight folded her arms as she looked forward. 'Can't wait to get this over with, so we can get back to stopping Nightmare Moon. And I also need to get back to my studies.' As they continued to walk down the dirt road they soon approached a huge tree that appeared to look like a house. 'Finally!' Twilight glanced at Fluttershy as they got closer to the tree.

“And that is my entire life, well except for today. Do you want to hear about today too?” Spike said in a jokingly.

“Oh yes please!” Fluttershy said excitedly as she got closer to Spike, causing his face to heat up some as she entered his personal space. Spike's body was soon covered in a purple energy before being yanked away quickly.

“I am so sorry. How did we get here so fast?” Twilight said in a sarcastic tone. “This is where we're staying while we're in Ponyville and me and Spike have a lot of planning and organizing to do for tomorrow.” Twilight gave Fluttershy a fake smile as she used her magic to open the door.

“But I thought we did all the planning at Canterlot? You even had me write a list so all the planning we would need would be don- Oof!” Spike grunted a bit in pain after Twilight jabbed him in the stomach with her elbow.

“Well, anyways it's getting late. Maybe we can talk more next time. Bye!” Twilight forced Spike inside and slammed the door behind her, leaving Fluttershy standing there in confusion at the behavior.


Fluttershy was too terrified to move. Her arms felt as if stone covered them, so she couldn't push Spike away. All she could do was listen to him, staring into his eyes. Eyes that showed that his mind was elsewhere for a moment before blinking back into reality.

“I really wish this was a dream Fluttershy, I really do, but… I realized that this is the reality.” Spike stood up as he looked down on her. “Through your death, everyone will have an understanding of how I feel now, especially Twilight. The one mare that hurt me the most… I was always by her side. I would have done anything to help her in her studies and even in life...”

Fluttershy's gaze followed him as he stood up. “Spike....please… don't do this.” Fluttershy pleaded with him.

Spike showed no remorse as he gazed into her tearful eyes. “You were right Fluttershy...”

“R-Right? About what?”

“I am a savage beast!” Spike clenched his teeth as his eyes started to fill with malice.

Fluttershy's pupils shrunk at his words, remembering those were the same words she told him.

Thunderlane glided down to the ground outside the cottage after finishing his night flight training. “Phew, all that flying is exhausting. After a hot bath, I'm going to- AHHH!!!” Thunderlane jumped back in fear as the roof of Fluttershy's home exploded with a loud roar. Green flames consumed the entire top cottage and soon consumed the rest of it. ”Whoa! FLUTTERSHY!!!” Thunderlane yelled as he watched her cottage go in a blaze. The explosion quickly altered everyone in Ponyville, quickly stirring them from their sleep, causing them to all go outside to see what had happened.

Twilight awoke and ran to her balcony to see the destruction in the distance. “What is going on!? Those green flames… That is where Fluttershy lives!” Twilight's horn glowed brightly before being teleported to her friend's home, appearing right beside a group of ponies who gathered to see the blaze themselves.

“What in tarnation happened?” Applejack said as she made her way beside Twilight with the rest of her friends standing beside her.

Rarity covered her mouth as tears built up in them. “Oh no, Fluttershy!”

“H-hey we don't even know if she was caught in the blast!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

'I hope you’re right Rainbow Dash... but even I know that she...” Tears welded up in Twilight and her friend's eyes as they cried silently at a fate they wish was false. “I-I have to tell the princesses. They need to know about… this-” Twilight's voice slowly came to a halt as something caught her attention as she gazed at Fluttershy's burning home.

Illuminating in the firelight, Twilight and some other ponies around her could see a figure.

The figure stood still in the middle of the flames and did not move.

Twilight gasped. "Someone's in there! Alive!"

The figure turned its head slowly towards the rest of Ponyville, and that was when Twilight saw something that made her jump.

Spike's glowing emerald eyes.

Twilight was too shocked to say anything as the figure slowly faded away into the flames, as if it was an illusion caused by the light, leaving everyone silent.


Mareyscira, an ancient site, only known to those who existed during its time. It was home to the Mareazons: A group of fierce warriors who train in magic and combat since birth. Through mythology, only mares are known to exist here and no male has ever stepped foot on their lands… until now.

A large explosion was heard from the right side of the ancient home as a few Mareazons were thrown to the ground, stripped of their strength. From the explosion, there was Tirek who stood in the center as several Mazeazon warriors had fallen to his might. Only standing against him was the last warrior that remained.

“You fought well, but it is over.” Tirek stood tall with scratches and bruises all over his body, black blood dripped from his many wounds, but nothing fatal or what would hinder him. He then walked towards the last Marezon who was badly injured from the assault, unable to move as he reached down and grabbed the warrior by the throat, lifting her up to meet his gaze.

“Ugh!” The Mareazon struggled to get free, but it was pointless. “ Y-You... won't get away with this!” Said the female unicorn who was clad in golden armor.

Tirek laughed as he held her by the throat with one hand. “Just like this forgotten kingdom, the world shall fall before my might.” Tirek suspended the unicorn above the ground in his strong grip as her fallen kin laid on the ground below her, either unconscious or dead, blood leaking from most of their skulls with the absence of their Cutie Marks. From all the magic he absorbed, Tirek's size had grown far beyond his last time around Spike. His appearance was closer to the time before he absorbed the Element Bearer’s magic the last time.

“You… killed my people and tainted our sacred land! You demon, you won't get away with this you-” That was all the Mareizon could say before she screamed in agony as red-orange energy streamed from her horn and into Tirek's mouth, feeling the pain of her very essence in the form of her Cutie Mark being ripped from her very being.

“Silence.” Tirek said once he was finished. “You should be honored about this development. Your people are going to help me reclaim what should have been mine all along.” Tirek's wounds he received from battle had healed completely as his height grew another inch as the drained mare look up into his eyes. Seeing the pure malice intent lurking in the eerie yellow glow from his pupils.

Crack*. Tirek squeezed the mare by the throat with one hand until the bones in her throat shattered.

“AHHHH!!!” The mare screamed in agony before struggling for air as blood filled her mouth and she began to choke.

Tirek smirked as her flailing body soon became limp in his grip. “Worthless equine.” Tirek slung her body to the side, slamming her body through a fallen statue of their Mareizon queen, killing the mare on impact. Dust and debris from the statue scattered as the limp body hit the ground and came to a stop.

As Tirek took in the sight of this fallen society, he came to realize that he was that much closer to his goal. The many statues of their finest warriors now scatter the land, shattered and destroyed just like the very equine that these statues symbolize, who faced him in fierce combat to defend their land from an inevitable outcome. Soon, very soon he shall finish what he start years ago.

As Tirek marveled at his achievement, unbeknownst to him, a figure slowly approached from behind, only stopping a few feet behind him. “I see you've gotten stronger, Tirek.”

In a relaxed manner, Tirek looked back over his shoulder at the recognizable voice. “Yes, this place had more than what I believed offered for me.” Tirek spoke as his gaze went up to the sky, watching the full moon that was slowly setting over the ocean, shining like a beacon to those who traveled at night.

“I told you that Mareyscira would be worth the trip. Canterlot's Archives holds boundless information that is hidden to all, but those who are allowed inside. Getting the information was easy.” The figure moved beside Tirek before speaking again.

“ I recently got intel on Spike... He almost attacked the Element of Generosity Rarity, but that was soon put to a halt by my guard. Good thing too, because if he was to have attacked, then there would be no helping him. Celestia and Luna would have seized him and then our motives would be revealed. We would be forced to act on our own... but I must say, I am very impressed with what you have done. His hatred towards them is more than I would have expected.”

Tirek folded his arms and frowned as he watched the ocean current splash against the side of island rocks. “It's to be expected. His friends, his very family betrayed him, just like my brother Scorpan betrayed me. I have completely painted him in my colors...” Tirek then turned to the figure beside him.

“But enough of Spike. I have the desired location for my next meal before I confront the princesses.”

“And what location is that?”

Tirek only grinned as a twinkle is seen in his eyes. Prepared to take the world, he knows what he needs and he will soon claim it.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading everyone and thank you for being patience with these chapters. I know I take forever in uploaded them. :derpytongue2:

As always I would like to thank the following people for their help

Proofreaders: The Pony Spartan, MasterBlaster

Editor: The Pony Spartan.