• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 3,976 Views, 188 Comments

A Rarity of a soldier - Lon35hadow



Rarity is sent to a UNSC colony world. What new friends will she make, and can she return home?

  • ...
20
 188
 3,976

Voi Pt1- The Storm

"And that was how we reunited," Twilight, still in her human form said. "For the most part, only a few things of interest happened after that, really."

"Well, before you proceed," Luna said, "I am curious: you say those glyphs were from those Engineers, which you said are Forerunner, but Rarity said during the part where Nightmare came back that they had no knowledge of our people. It does not make any sense."

"Yeah, we kinda thought that too," Rarity, also still in her human form, said. "We figure that Resolution didn't have access to files related to our kind. Clearance, and everything like that."

"So, what happened next," Rainbow asked.

"Well, it was just a little after the last part with New Mombasa. The only UNSC base in East Africa, the continent that New Mombasa was in, had been attacked by Truth, the last prophet," Twilight said, "and most forces had been scattered, but were able to rendevous for an assault on a city that had been taken by the Covenant, called Voi."

"Why attack that town," Spike asked.

"Because the humans were attempting to destroy a Forerunner ," Ruso said. "The reason being that the ship would activate a Forerunner portal that would lead to a location known as the Ark, which would activate all Halo rings in the galaxy, which would kill every sentient being in the galaxy. Those on the Ark, however, would be safe, as it was outside the galaxy."

"Why would some one make weapons like that," Celestia asked, shocked.

"That, we'll get to later," Rarity said. "For now, the actual mission."


It has been a week since Diamondback, now with Jacob, Pawas, Nightmare, and Rarity, and Heretic squad were on the ONI orbital facility. Both groups had been re-tasked by Admiral Hood himself earlier that day to assist the UNSC forces assaulting the town of Voi, and the two squads were with the main force, which was tasked with wiping out the air defenses in a portion of the town to open a hole for UNSC ships. The same one with the legendary Spartan-117 in it.

"I can't believe we're with the last Spartan," Rarity said, the two squads in the back two troop 'Hogs.

"You and me both, Rares," Jacob, the one driving the lead 'Hog of the two. "Still, that means I'd hate to be Truth's forces."

"Ooh-rah to that," Josh, in the passenger seat of this particular 'Hog.

"Let's just hope they don't decide to glass this place just to stop us," Bishop said.

"They won't," Pawas said. "They no care for individuals, true, but they simply need to waste our time to activate portal."

"Great," Tony, the last in this 'Hog, said. "So a lot of ammo wasting here, then?"

"Probably," Patrick, the one driving the last 'Hog, said over the radio.

"Does it matter," Twilight asked over the radio. "We go in, open a hole for air, and hopefully kill Truth."

"Agreed," Ruso said.

"Can it, people," Jacob said. "We're here." He stopped the 'Hog, then climbed out as those in front did the same, the exception being the Chain Gun 'Hog in front, which would provide support inside the warehouse the group would enter. The others got out as well, the two 'Hogs carrying the squads being directly behind the one carrying 117.

"Form up, Diamondback," Jacob, wearing the normal marine armor now, said. "Take up support positions!"

"Same for us, Heretic," Twilight said.

"Aye," Ruso said.

"Door opening," a marine ahead of them yelled. "Get ready!"

"Way to blow our element of surprise, dumbass," Josh muttered, doing one last check with his Assault Rifle. The door opened slowly, and the Covenant forces in the first room, somehow, hadn't heard the marine, and assumed the door opening was more of their fellows entering, which allowed them to get the upper hand.

With the chain gun support and the Spartan, they entered, though there was no resistance, but the second door was closed. "Chief," the leader of the group said. "Open the door, then we can roll through."

"Sir," Chief said before he went to the back of the room and up a set of stairs and onto a cat walk, which led to the next room. From the sound of gunfire and plasma shots, it was an easy guess there were hostiles in that room. Eventually, a beeping was heard, and the door opened.

"Move in, marines," the marine leader said, and the group moved in, the Warthog giving support fire. With all the fire on them, the small contingent of Jackals and Grunts died quickly.

"Opening second door," Josh said, going over to a second terminal, the door opening, this one revealing a larger group of Covenant, albeit with only Grunts and Brutes, who were taken down quickly as well.

At the end of the corridor, with a door that led to the first area with anti-air Wraiths, there were two Ghosts. "Ruso, Hades, get on them," Twilight said.

"Right," the two former Covenant soldiers said before getting on the vehicles, Bishop opening the door, revealing the former lake bed. Once it was open fully, the Warthog and two Ghosts rushed out.

"Ruso, Hades, take out the hostile Ghosts," Twilight said over the radio. "Jacob, can you get us there," she asked, pointing to a building a little further down that looked to be on what used to be a dock.

"Can't you just teleport there?"

"No," Twilight said, shaking her head. "At least, not with out getting shot at first."

"Fair enough," Jacob said. "Diamondback, support Heretic!"

"Copy," Diamondback said in reply, and the two squads began to push to the dock building, so that Sawn would have a sniper position.

The fight to get there was not that long, the only issue being a few Brute Captains, one having a Brute shot, bu they were quickly taken down. "Setting up," Sawn said, pulling out his Carbine, and scanning the former lake bed. "You guys may want to stay up here so they don't shoot me."

"Copy that," Jacob said.

"Uh, guys," Bishop said, looking at the next door area. "We got a mortar Wraith."

"Long as it isn't looking here," Josh said.

"I doubt we need to worry about it," Jacob said. "Spartan's going after it."

"Then let's give him some covering fire," Josh said, scoping his Battle rifle, his secondary, and shooting at the Wraith gunner, killing it with nine bullets and a head shot. This allowed the Chief to climb onto the Wraith and plant a plasma grenade on the main hatch before jumping off, the grenade detonating shortly after and destroying the tank.

"Area clear. Move up," the Marine Leader said, and the survivors, them being the Chief, Diamondback, Heretic, with Hades and Ruso still in the Ghosts, the leader, and two other marines.

"I got the door," Tony said as he went to the button to open the next door. "Get ready, people."

The door opened, and all hell broke loose, as this group of Covenant was much more prepared for them, and the three marines fell quickly, leaving Heretic, Chief, and Diamondback. "Chieftain," Patrick said, the armored Brute coming down the steps, plasma cannon in hand.

"He's mine," Hades said before boosting his Ghost to ram the Chieftain, which he hoped off before it impacted on the Chieftain, which only injured him.

"Focus fire," Jacob said, and Diamondback fired everything they could while avoiding the plasma cannon shots. The armor on the Brute was able to take a lot of fire, but even he eventually fell. The next room, though it had no Chieftain, was more of a challenge due to the amount of Drones. "FUCK YOU!" Jacob yelled, firing his rifle into the horde. When each of them were dead, and Jacob's rifle barrel was smoking, he saw the others were beside him and reloading.

"You know, we still don't know why you hate Drones," Rarity said.

"I'll tell you when we win this fight," Jacob said. With that, the group moved up through the tunnel, which was free of hostiles, and made their way to a room with five mongoose courier vehicles, along with a single weapon rack with two Spnkr launchers with two crates of spare rockets. The Chief got on one, along with Josh, Tony, Bishop, and Patrick, while Marines who had been in the room, each with a launcher got on the back, the others taking weapons off the dead Covenant from the last two rooms.

"Door opening," Jacob said, opening the door. Once it was fully open, those on the scout vehicles rushed out first, those on foot following after.

"We have two Anti-Air Wraiths," Hades said.

"They should be able to take them down," Jacob said. "We just need to make sure the morons on foot don't nail them."

"Right," Sawn said. From there, the two squads, even if they acted like one, took care of any on foot hostile, Ruso providing support to those on the vehicles with his somehow still intact Ghost, which allowed those with launchers to take out the tanks with ease.

Once the last of the two tanks fell, a man came over the radio, saying, "All forces in the vicinity of Sierra 117, there is a Scarab inbound on your position. Repeat, a Scarab is inbound."

"Fuck," Rarity muttered. "Baseball trick," she asked the others, more accurately Hades and Jacob, who nodded.

"Diamondback," Jaocb said over the radio, "we're doing Baseball. Make sure no one fires at the back of the thing."

"On it," Josh replied over the radio just as the first leg of the Scorpion came into view, and Rarity, Twilight, Hades, and Jacob got ready.

The vehicle had come down, the four legs on the former lake bed, and with it, Rarity grabbed Hades and Jacob, who stood next to her, in her magic and lifted them up before throwing them at Twilight. The four had practiced this multiple times, and was meant to take out a Scarab, but this would be the first time they did it in actual combat situations.

Basically, it was Rarity using her magic to fling Hades and Jacob or Ruso, the latter depending on who was available, towards Twilight, and would sling them around her as if she was a star, and them the planets, which would give them enough momentum to get on the Scarab while surprising its defenders.

It worked quite well, as both of them were launched onto the lower floor, Hades firing a Brute shot he picked up at the Grunts manning the lower turrets, which cleared the way for him and Jacob to land. They made their way to the main reactor on the back, Hades using his Brute Shot to remove brute armor while Jacob delivered head shots to them and the Grunts not killed by the splash damage. Once they made it to the reactor, Hades fired off enough shots to bring the shield on the reactor down, with Jacob planting a plasma grenade on it before both jumped off the platform, Twilight and Nightmare using their magic to catch them while Rarity put a shield up to protect them from the blast.

Once the Scarab exploded, a pelican came down on the area above the lake bed, and it dropped off three Sangheili. Diamondback and Heretic, along with the Chief, made their way up to the next door with these three, nd it was here that Twilight and Ruso were reunited with two others.

One had on a blue combat harness, a Carbine in hand, sword hilt on thigh, while the other had on claret colored assault harness, wielding dual plasma rifles and two swords on opposite thighs. The one in combat armor looked in their direction. He got his comrade's attention by tapping him on the shoulder, then gesturing towards Ruso and Twilight before walking over to them. "Ultra Tafam, is that you," N'tho asked. "And you, Princess?"

"N'tho," Twilight asked, surprised as N'tho and Usze. "Usze?"

"Indeed, Highness," Usze said. "I did not expect to see either of you here on Earth. It was then that Usze and N'tho saw Hades and Sawn. "I imagine these two are with you, Highness?"

"They are," Ruso said. "What brings you two to Earth?"

"The Arbiter placed us in his combat group," N'tho said. "We were with him when he and Sergeant Johnson found the Spartan, and he wished to help in this attack."

"Then let us bring glory and honor to our families," Ruso said as the doors to the next area, a full out warehouse. Here was one of the tougher challenges to make it to the anti-air battery, as the large group had to fight through Brutes almost entirely in the warehouse, as well as a pair of Hunters at the very end, along with multiple groups of Brutes and Grunts in the storage area just outside the warehouse. And that was before the uphill battle. This one was tougher, as there was a single Brute Captain with a Fuel Rod cannon, as well as a Grunt on a plasma turret, though he was killed by Patrick with a sniper he picked up before they went up the hill.

Fortunately, though, they were able to kill each hostile, and take the gun down by shooting the core of it, causing it to explode. Both the Arbiter and Chief, with the others behind them, stood at a cliffside that over looked the Forerunner ship the Covenant were using, which stood on a round platform of some kind where Diamondback and Heretic had been but a month ago, the city nothing but ash.

Longswords were heard overhead, and everyone craned their heads to see the fighters, around maybe thirty in all, flying towards the ship, explosions evident by the plumes from the surface of the ship as missiles hammered it as UNSC frigates passed overhead. "All ships," Admiral Lord Hood said over the radio, "fire at will." And the frigates did just that as they unleashed their MAC guns on the ship. The platform the ship was on then lowered, the Forerunner vessel unharmed, whether by its material or shields being unknown as pillars of some kind rose up from the ground, and a radiant, blue beam shot from the vessel into the sky, eventually sending out a wave on energy that sent the USNC ships down, and knocked those on the cliffside onto their backs or rocks behind them. As they got up, Admiral Hood came on over the radio, and large orb of purple and black, the Forerunner ship ascending into it, could be seen in the sky.


"What did Truth just do," he asked after coughing. "Did he activate the rings?"

"No, sir," Miranda Keys replied. "But he certainly did something," she said as the Arbiter, Ruso, N'tho, and Usze roared as the one who had betrayed their kind had escaped their vengeance.

"Evac wounded and regroup," Hood ordered. "Wherever Truth went-"

"Sir," a navy man aboard Hood's ship said. "New contact slipping in!"

Chief looked to his left, the others following, and saw a single Covenant cruiser appear out of slipspace, but it had a molted, almost sickly look to it. As it turned right, pieces could be seen coming off, Arbiter raised his Carbine to it, and Chief readied his weapon, as did the others, Ruso, N'tho, and Usze drawing and igniting their blades. As the ship passed overhead, they saw it was covered in something that only four of them recognized. "What is it," Arbiter asked, hoping it wasn't what he knew it was. "More Brutes?"

"Worse," Chief said.