• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 3,963 Views, 188 Comments

A Rarity of a soldier - Lon35hadow



Rarity is sent to a UNSC colony world. What new friends will she make, and can she return home?

  • ...
20
 188
 3,963

Interlude- fortification and alliances

"And, really, it was near four weeks after Voi that things came to an end," Rarity said. "But, if you guys don't mind, we want to make sure that they're aren't any griffons left in the city that haven't been captured."

"That would be best," Celestia said. "Besides, Equestria needs to formalize the treaty with the changelings, and this break will give us time."

"And this time, I'm joining in," Twilight said. "And I won't take no as an answer, Celestia. I've done more for Equestria since I became an Element, and I'm including my time away from Equis in that, by the way. And now that I think about it, why did the princess summit have to be in the Empire? Why not in Canterlot, or someplace in Ponyville, where I lived? You know, to help indicate my role as princess was serious instead of just making an Element bearer a princess just because you fucking wanted to!?"

Cadence was the first to open her mouth, but quickly shut it as Twilight's question set in, she wasn't really wrong, while Luna just looked at her sister with curious eyes, while Celestia simply tried to avert her eyes, the others, with the exception of Rarity and Nightmare, just looking at her, though it was unclear if it was because of the vulgarity or the fact she had just questioned Celestia. Still, the silence gave two answers.

"So, you either didn't care on that angle, or you knew."

"Knew what?" Applejack asked, a little angry at her friend. "That Sunset Shimmer would come back? None of us could have known that." This got a chuckle out of the angry alicorn.

"Oh, please. Celestia likes to keep it hidden that alicorns can have visions of the future. I should know. I had one while I was gone. And it was about Celestia telling Sunset through the journal she had given to me that I was missing. In fact, I know what it was word for word, if you don't believe me. But then I'd be getting more off topic," Twilight said. "To answer your question, Applejack, yes, she did know Sunset was going to return. And she knew she'd steal my element. But let me guess, it stopped there: her taking the Element off my night stand. It was pure luck we found out, or she would have taken Equestria over."(1) Under the lavender alicorn's glare, a swell as feeling that Twilight's magic was getting riled up with rage, Celestia quickly wilted, and sighed.

"She's right," the solar alicorn said. "I knew, and had intentionally kept guard patrols away from it so she could get there. I was hoping your anxiety would keep you awake, Twilight, and stop her, so that you could teach her friendship."

"But you didn't plan for if I didn't do that, did you?" Twilight said. "Actually, never mind. Heretic, we're heading to Canterlot." With that, Twilight lit her horn, and her squad vanished.

"I don't think I've ever seen her that pissed off," Jacob commented. "I mean, that time in Voi was a close second, but still."

"She scary when mad," Pawas said.

"You haven't seen her hell fire form," Rarity commented. "Something tells me you may want to head to Canterlot, Celestia. Don't want to keep her waiting when she's already mad."

Celestia sighed. "That would be wise," she said. With that, she got up, and made her way to the carriages. As she got on, she looked back at the others. "Aren't the rest of you coming?" she asked.

"You know we have to," Chrysalis said as she and Carapace/Shining Armor made their way to the same carriage, followed by Cadence, which made things a little awkward for the three. Luna, however, remained.

"I think I shall stay here, sister," Luna said. "So as to oversee everything and ensure nothing happens."

"Same," Rainbow and Spike said at the same time.

"I'm coming," Applejack said, going to the second carriage. "Twilight'll probably need somepony to calm her down." Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Twilight's parents agreed.

"Sweetie Belle, I think it best if you go, too," Rarity said. "In case there are still some griffons here."

"But sis-" Sweetie began to complain, but Rarity held up a hoof.

"Do you think mom and dad would want you dead just to spend time with me?" she asked. "Don't worry, when this is over, we'll have plenty of time."

Sweetie, though upset, said, "Fine. I'll hold that to you, sis." She then followed Applejack and the others to the second carriage, which followed the royal's one, and flew off a minute later.

"Let's hope Twilight doesn't nuke the capitol," Bishop said.

"Agreed," Nightmare said. "So, where's the CP at?"

"No idea," Josh said. He then got on the radio. "All UNSC squads on ground, this is Diamondback. We got a CP up yet?"

Those with radios heard this as a reply. "Negative on that, Diamondback," Brooks replied form orbit. Squads are currently sweeping for any that didn't follow the retreat, with four more pelican loads inbound to help with that, as well as a few allied Sangheili phantoms from ships that arrived as you were fighting. You guys are going to get a CP up.

"Copy that," Jacob said. "Thanks for the news, Ma'am."

"Any time, Diamondback."

"So, you guys know any places that would be good for a CP?" Tony asked the ponies.

"Well, there is that," Rarity suggested, pointing out a three story building she recognized from her first visit here. "It's a theater, so it should do good."

"Then I guess that's where we're going," Jacob said. "Let's go, Diamondback."

"Should I follow?" Luna asked.

"Probably best for protection until we know for sure if the griffons are fully out of the city," Nightmare said. "Come on." With that, Diamondback, Spike, Rainbow, and Princess Luna made their way to the fashion stage where the competition that Rarity had been in during her first time in the city was held.

Once inside, with Josh having to stay outside due to his suit, Jacob left the group to inform Brooks that they had a command point in the city now, and Luna began talking with Nightmare and Rarity.

"I do not understand it," Luna said. "Why is it, Nightmare, you haven't tried to use the chaos from this fight to, at the very least, kill Lady Rarity?"

"You still think I want to take over Equestria?" Nightmare asked, not really surprised. "Even if I did, it's only a planet, and not even a technologically advanced one. And besides, if I did, I'd have the rest of Diamondback hunting me, so my reign wouldn't last long." She shrugged. "And I'm happy with where I am right now, anyway."

And, as ponies are, Luna believed that. Of course, the fact that she had been fighting at Rarity and Twilight's side helped with that. "I suppose that makes sense," Luna said. Then, to Rarity, she asked, "I assume reinforcements are here?"

"On their way, Princess," Rarity confirmed. "Along with more UNSC soldiers, they'll be some Sangheili that arrived earlier, while the battle was going on, coming with them. Which reminds me, we need to tell Twilight."

"On it," Spike said from nearby, and the sound of quill on paper, followed by dragon fire, was heard.

"Seriously, how do we replicate those abilities?" Nightmare said. "It'd be handy when it comes to communication, especially if comms are jammed."

"We can only replicate it if we get more dragon eggs and raise the hatchlings ourselves," Rarity said. "And that would most likely require stealing from a dragoness, something I don't want to happen, as I don't want to get burned alive."

"Which begs the question as to how my sister got Spike's egg," Luna said.

"You know, while we're on the subject of sisters," Rarity asked, "I'm actually a little curious about something."

"What's that, lady Rarity?" Luna asked.

"Well, Nightmare shares your blood, which makes her your sister," Rarity said. "What I'm wondering is, since she also shares my blood, does that make me a princess by blood?"

"I hadn't thought of that," Luna said. "I suppose we could have Twilight do a few checks with spells on that manner. Though, if you are correct, Lady Rarity, that would mean you needing to become an alicorn, both due to that loophole, as well as your actions to protect Equestria in the past. And before you say that last one should mean the others should be alicorns, there is a nature to it. Either they, as an individual, must do something of spectacular feat, such as Twilight Sparkle finishing one of Starswirl's spells or Cadence freeing an entire village from a witch, or having the blood of one, such as my sister and myself, and, by extension, Nightmare."

"I'd like to remain a unicorn, Luna," Rarity said. "Alicorns may be the pinnacle of beauty and grace, but those two traits can be found just about anywhere." And it was here that Diamondback got a transmission from the Athens in orbit.

"Diamondback, this is Athens. Do you copy?"

"We copy, Atehns, Jacob said. "What's up?"

"Satellites showed two chariots leaving the city less than half an hour ago, correct?"

"Affirmative," Josh said, using the suit's radio. "Why?"

"Feed from one indicates Keeper Seraphs are enroute to engage it. Time is five minutes."


Five minutes later

Celestia was, to put it lightly, troubled for two reasons. The first was that her former student, now her colleague, had snapped at her, while the second was that she had her first vision while gone. True, it was rare for visions to reveal the past, but it happened. The reason how Celestia knew of Sunset's return was that she had invited her.

She had hoped that Sunset had seen the error of her ways, and invited her to the Crystal Empire, where she had hoped to introduce her former student to her sister, Cadence, and Twilight. If she had known what would have happened would have, she wouldn't have told Sunset about any of that, or even communicated with her.

She was brought out of those thoughts, though, when a guard on the chariot yelled, "Princess! Something's on us!"

The solar alicorn's head shot up. "Griffons?" she asked.

"No, highness," the guard said, making the other royals on the carriage have a look of fear. "Something else, and it's nearing quickly. We're going at our best speed, and it is still coming closer."

As this was going on, Chrysalis looked back behind the carriage. "Celestia, they may be a while out, but with my eyesight, it looks to fit how Twilight described Covenant vehicles."

"Can we do anything against them?" Carapace asked.

With despair in her voice, Celestia said, "Only run," as Twilight had told them of Covenant shield technology as the mare's families families were gathered. And, for as strong as her magic was, when it was combined with just how maneuverable the ships had to be, as well as the distance, Celestia knew she could do nothing. Well, nothing on the offensive, that is.

She lit her horn, and a golden orb surrounded the two chariots, meant to protect them from the craft. "Let us hope that my magic can at least stave off their fire," she said.

It was only a few seconds later that she was proven wrong, as the ship, just one, fired it's main cannons, the shots easily shattering the magical shield. As that fact went through the heads of each pony, the ship passed, and, off it, jumped two Brutes clad in blue and yellow armor, one for each carriage, the armor they were wearing being their version of Ranger class armor. The one guard on Celestia's carriage, an earth pony, drew a sword with his mouth, but the Brute grabbed his neck, and threw him off the side without even looking. He growled, and said, "Your meat will be a delicacy to my pack."

Celestia, out of instinct, fired off a magical blast, but the Brute had shields on his armor strong enough to disperse the blast, which made the ape-like animal chuckle. "I will enjoy hunting you," it said before it grabbed Celestia by the throat.

For the first time in a thousand years, Celestia felt fear for herself. When it came to Nightmare's first return, she had doubt that Twilight and the others would cure Luna. With Discord's return, she had been worried as to how well his mind games would affect the Elements, but not afraid-she had seen their victory. With the Empire, that was the closest to fear she had come, but, in the end, she knew her student would prevail. With the vines, they had acted so quickly, she had been asleep before she knew what happened. Tirek, she was more worried for her subjects than herself.

But now, seeing the Brutes up close to the point she could make out the individual teeth? Let's just say she was glad she had emptied her intestines and bladder before teleporting to Manehattan.

She felt the hand, or paw, or whatever it was, tighten on her neck, but, just before she blacked out, she heard a faint k-chank, and felt the grip loosen before she fell to the chariot's floor, if it could be called that, and saw the Brute fall off, lifeless. In her ears, there was a sort of thrum coming form the solar alicorn's left. She looked, and saw what Twilight had described as a Covenant Spirit, though the coloration was purple, not blue and yellow. The troop doors were open, and the royals saw five Sangheili inside, one of which had a Beam rifle raised.

It was then one that one of the Elites, one who wore a claret assault harness, jumped out of the Spirit, and onto the Carriage. In his hands was a Plasma rifle, while his thigh held a Needler. "Are you four alright?" the Sangheili asked, but the surprising factor was that the voice was not deep, or as deep as Ruso's.

"Y-yes," Cadence said nervously. "Th-thank you."

"Of course," the Sangheili, bowing its head.

"Ar eyou with the humans?" Chrysalis asked.

"My crewmates and I are allied with them, yes," was the reply, "but we arrived not an hour ago. My name is Skana Refum."

"Refum," Celestia asked. "Are you related to Ruso Refum'ee?"

"Yes," Skana replied. "And the 'ee' suffix, as you call it, is no longer a part of my kind's naming practice, as it was instituted by the San'Shyuum. As for Ruso, he is my brother. I assume he and his group are here on this planet?"

"He's where we're going," Carapace replied. "How'd you all know we were in trouble?"

"The human ship alerted our group, as we were the closest, and we came to assist. And worry not about the Seraph fighter, human fighters will remove it." To punctuate the sentence, there was a distant explosion. "If you allow it, we will escort you to your destination."

"Thank you," Celestia said as she got up. "We may need it if more attempts are made."

"Then lead the way, highness."

Author's Note:

1:What a lotof people don't notice, which I'm honestly surprised I'm the only one I know of to have seen it, is that human Celestia and Luna were in the mind control mob. Some cite the guard. Really? The Elements? Useless without Magic. The Heart? I'm sure Sunset did research, assuming she didn't have inside help, which could explain Flash if you go deep enough, by the way, and would know to go after Cadence. Discord? Really? Are you kidding me? The god of chaos who would let this happen so long as no one was harmed, which, let's face it, Sunset would probably mind rape them into her army, anyway, which, as we saw, does no harm.
Also, I will be doing two interludes in a row, so next chapter will be the nobles of Canterlot reacting to Twi and the others of Heretic. Get the popcorn if you like them panicking.