• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 3,970 Views, 188 Comments

A Rarity of a soldier - Lon35hadow



Rarity is sent to a UNSC colony world. What new friends will she make, and can she return home?

  • ...
20
 188
 3,970

High-end meetings

"So, whose side should we tell next, Twilight?" Rarity asked.

"I guess yours, Rarity," Twilight said. "Yours will take the longest to tell, after all."

"Right," the fashionista turned soldier said.


Rarity and Diamondback were on a pelican that was descending towards Reach, the UNSC's second greatest military stronghold, next to their home planet. It was smooth at first, but then they hit atmosphere, and their ride began to jostle and bump violently.

"I fucking hate this part of the ride!" Josh yelled after a particularly violent jump, the only reason he and the others didn't hit the ceiling being their harnesses and, in Rarity's case, sitting in Jacob's lap, an admitadly cute scene that even Pawas, who was barely allowed on the ship, even with Rarity's first contact card, nearly had a heart, or whatever the Grunt equivalent is, attack from it.

"Not like you can change it," Bishop said. "Besides, we all hate it."

"Least humans have harnesses," Pawas said. "Elites use gravity fields. Uncomfortable, and chance of failing. Seats don't."

"They use gravity fields to keep their troops standing?" Patrick asked.

"Yep-yep," Pawas replied. "Was technician for Spirit. Broke multiple times. Had to repair each time. Remember all detail for gravity unit."

"Think you could replicate that?" Tony asked.

"With right materials," Pawas said. "Will need help from human engineers to make, though."

"Looks like we have another card to use to keep him with us," Jacob said. "We'll see what we can do."

"Me thank you," Pawas said.

"Maybe get him a few grammar classes, too," Bishop said.

"Screw the grammar, he needs armor," Josh said. "His current kit protects nothing but the top of his skull, which an AP round or plasma blast can easily disregard."

"Well, no UNSC armor can protect against plasma blasts unless it's that armor Spartans wear," Tony said, "and AP can still get through kevlar and the usual kit."

"What's a Spartan," Rarity asked.

"Essentially humans that are able to wear what is most likely the most expensive single machine in the UNSC's arsenal," Josh said. "Aside from that, no one knows. ONI keeps that kind of shit under lock and key."

Jacob had a hand on his chin. "Hey, uh, Rarity?"

"Yes, Jacob?" she replied, turning her head to face him.

"Does your kind have any, and I can't believe I'm saying this in a serious way, magic that protects against heat?"

"Yes, actually," Rarity said. "Why?"

"An idea I got. What about spells that absorb kinetic energy while protecting the one it's around?"

"I think so," Rarity replied, looking stumped. "I wish I was able to remember as much as Twilight."

"One of your friends from home," Bishop asked.

"Yes. She couldn't get enough reading done in a single day. She absolutely loved studying, and could remember anything she read." Rarity sighed. "I wonder what she and the others are doing right now."

"Maybe they search for you?" Pawas said.

"I doubt it," Rarity said. "The spell that made me appear close to you guys was an experimental, long range teleportation spell."

"Well, they have to be doing something," Bishop said. "They are your friends, after all."

"I know," the unicorn replied. "Spike must be devestated."

"Who?" Tony said, earning a slap upside the head from Josh. "What? Like you aren't curious!?"

"I am," Josh said. "But it can wait."

"No, no, it's alright, Josh," Rarity said, waving a hoof before sighinf yet again. "He's Twilight's assistant, and ever since he met me, he's had a crush on me. Not like I can reciprocate those feelings, though. He's still just a child. If I was younger or him older, maybe, but he's just a baby dragon."

"Great," Tony said. "Dragons," he said, getting a slap from Bishop. "WHAT?"

Bishop ignored him. "Then maybe you should tell him that, Rarity, when you see him again."

"That's what I'm thinking," she said. "I just hope his little heart isn't devestated when that happens."

"Hey, ay least this time," Josh said, "you won't be separated by who knows how many light years, and you'll still be friends."

This brought a small smile to Rarity's muzzle. "Yes, I suppose that's true."


"You don't need to do that, Rarity," Spike said. "I got over the crush a year after Twilight and you, what's the right word for this, teleported."

"Well, that's one less thing to worry about," Rarity said. "So, did you become interested in anypony else since I was away?"

Spike grinned. "I guess you could say that, huh, Sweetie?"

"Yeah, I guess," Sweetie said as she got up and walked over to where Spike sat, and gave him a small peck on he cheek.

Rarity smiled. "Well, I'm happy for you two."

"Yes, and thank you for the fast food," Chrysalis said, getting looks from the others. "What? I'm hungry."

Both Rarity and Twilight rolled their eyes, having gotten use to weirder shit in the six years since they left, and the former continued.


Rarity and the others in the Pelican landed about half an hour after leaving the ship, touching down in the perimeter of ONI Castle base, where they were met by a small group of UNSC Army Troopers, as well as the commander of the group, a Major Westmoreland.

Pawas, smartly, hid behind Rarity and the others, who saluted once they had filed out, Westmoreland returning the salute.

Westmoreland, by appearances, was a man in his late twenties, with short, close cut, blonde hair, green eyes, and a hard smile. " At ease. Diamondback Squad, I assume," he said.

"Yes sir," Jacob said as he and the other humans put their hands behind their backs, Pawas continued to hide, and Rarity simply had her legs straight.

Westmoreland nodded. "We received word that you would be coming down," he said. "And before you ask, the message did include news of your pet Grunt, and every soldier on this base has been ordered not to shoot him." He turned to face Rarity. "I'm going to guess this is your newest member?"

"Yes, sir, I am," Rarity said nervously, afraid she had said it wrong.

"Good," Westmoreland said. "A 'Hog's been prepped for all of you, but before it gets here, I'd like to know the Grunt's name. I have a bit of a fascination with 'em. Remind me of the dogs my parents kept. Breeders, and all."

"Sir," Josh, whom Pawas hid behind, said before stepping aside.

As the Troopers eyed him, just wanting an easy kill but didn't due to orders, Pawas stepped just between Westmoreland and Diamondback. "Name Pawas," he said nervously, rubbing his hands together, almost like a human would under similar circumstances. "Me real good with machines."

"I'll be damned, the thing speaks English," Westmoreland said before looking to the nearest Trooper on the left. "Looks like I owe you ten bucks, lieutenant." Rarity wasn't certain, but the lieutenant seemed to have a small, triumphant smile on his face when he heard that. Westmoreland then faced Pawas again. "Long as you don't do anything to provoke 'em, the soldiers here won't shoot you. Clear?"

"Yep-yep," Pawas said, nodding vigorously.

"Good," the Major said as the engine to what Rarity assumed was the aforementioned "'Hog" could be heard, getting closer. "About time, Vesetti!" he yelled as it came into visual range and a black haired woman could be seen driving, her hair only visible because her helmet was on her lap. "I ordered that thing here ten minutes ago!"

"S-sorry sir," Vesetti said as she made the vehicle come to a stop before she got out, putting her helmet on, and saluting. "The piece of shit was being difficult this morning, and the techs just finished work on her three minutes ago. Only one in the garage."

Westmoreland, a look of steel on his face, looked at her and said, "Then radio ahead and make sure I know, next time, kapeesh?"

"Sir," Vesetti said, her salute still up.

"Good," he said. "At ease. You're to drive these seven to the main facility for debriefing. And get there soon. I hear they want blood for something, just not sure what."

"Sir," Vesetti said, saluting, not looking at Diamondback before getting back in the Warthog and starting the engine.

Diamondback got in, Jacob in the passenger seat, Rarity in his lap like on the pelican, the others in the back, with Josh and Patrick having to help Pawas up, and the noise it made got Vesetti's attention.

"Holy-"

"At ease, Vesetti," Jacob said. "He's with us."

"I know, sir," she said. "Still shocked me, though." She saw Rarity, then. "Jeez, I didn't think unicorns existed, or that they'd be so damned cute."

"GET A MOVE ON, VESETTI!" Westmoreland yelled.

"Sir!" Vesetti said before flooring the pedal, nearly making those in the back fall out.

"Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" Tony yelled as the Warthog made its' way to its' destination.

After many a violent bounce that threatened to send at least one passenger out of the 'Hog each time, they finally stopped outside what appeared to a cabin. "We're here, sir," Vesetti said.

"We noticed," Jacob said before he and the rest of his squad got out. "Next time, Vesetti, don't try to kill your passengers."

"Yes sir, sorry, sir," she said nervously. "It's my first week out of basic."

"No need to explain, Vesetti," Jacob said. "I didn't ask for one. Now, get a move on to where ever you need to go now."

"Sir," she said, and, once the squad was out, she put the Warthog in drive, and, for once, drove off at a normal speed.

"It's a wonder she hasn't killed anyone, yet," Tony said.

"I'd slap you," Bishop said, "but I have to agree with you, there."

"So, where to," Rarity asked.

"In the cabin," Jacob said. "I've been here once before, and know basic procedure."

"Then lead the way," Josh said in a friendly, but also slightly insulting, tone, "oh leader."

"Go to hell," Jacob said as the group entered the cabin, revealing an elevator that went down into the planet's surface.

It was a tight fit, but with some arrangement, they were all able to fit, and the elevator began its descent.

"They need a larger elevator," Josh said, his arms pinned to his side.

"Yep," Patrick wheezed, him being in the center of the group, and getting the most pressure.

"Me no see why this bad," Pawas said, clinging to Tony's head.

"Yeah, but that's because you're higher than the rest of us right now," Tony replied.

"Well, so am I," Rarity said, on Jacob's shoulders.

"Yeah, but you aren't rubbing it in," Bishop said.

"True," Rarity said.

They were stuck in this position for a few more minutes before the elevator stopped, and the doors opened, revealing a waiting room that was decorated with what Rarity assumed were old portraits that had to do with historic moments in Human history. One that got her eye quickly was one of a man standing in a boat, at the head of a small fleet of similar boats, crossing a river.

"Where are we," she asked Jacob.

"Waiting room," he replied. "They'll let us know when they're ready to see us, so take a seat."

With that, Diamondback, human, Pony, and Grunt, took a seat, and waited for them to be called.

"So, what is this usually like," Rarity asked.

"At this point, exactly how it is," Jacob said. "After, no idea, given the circumstances."

"Me not going to like," Pawas said. "They try to take and dissect Pawas."

"I doubt it," Josh said. "At the least, Admiral Hood will make sure ONI doesn't get their hands on you."

"That good," Pawas said, though nervousness was still in his voice.

Fortunately, they did not have to wait long before one of the aides, wearing a plad business outfit, walked in. "The council will see you now, Diamondback Squad."

"Whelp, time to walk into hell," Jacob said, getting up from his seat. "Come on, guys."

With that, the group walked to a steel door, which opened as they neared it, and stepped into the conference room.

At the opposite end of the room from where they walked in, there was an elevated, crescent table that four individuals in uniform sat at.

Going from left to right, the first was a man who wore an outfit somewhat similar to the Troopers outside, but was more casual, indicating he was a part of the army. He close cropped, black hair, and a look that just said he was planning on how to kill you if you got in his way. This was General James Ackerson, leader of the UNSC Army.

Next was a woman in a black outfit, her hair gray from age, and a look on her face that aid she was A: planning every possible way there is to kill you; B: thinking of just what you had to offer; and C: if you were worth her time. Next to her chair was a cain. Her hair itself was short, military style. This was Admiral Parangosky, head of ONI.

Next to her was another man in a white, Navy dress uniform. His head was bald, and he had a look of experience. This was Admiral Lord Hood, leader of the Navy.

The last was a middle aged man with gray hair, and a black outfit similar to Parangosky's. This was Vice Admiral Michael Stanforth, head of ONI Section III, and basic leader of where Spartans were deployed.

"Diamondback, reporting, sirs, ma'am," Jacob said, as he and the rest of the squad, still including Rarity, saluted, while Pawas just stood skittishly next to Rarity, looking for a place to hide. Can you blame him?

"So, this is the squad with the new alien," Parangosky said. "I don't see why we should give it shelter."

"I must agree," Ackerson said. "What if it is killed by the Covenant. Its kind will demand retribution on us for not protecting one of their own."

"You two are getting ahead of the meeting already," Hood said to the first two. "I expected it of you, James, but I expected Margret to at least hide it. I suggest we at least debrief the squad before we make a decision." With that, he turned to look at the squad. "At ease," he told them, to which they complied. "Now, start from the beginning, Staff Sergeant."

"Sir," Jacob said. "We were pinned down in a warehouse on Shakespeare by Jackal snipers when a flash of light occurred, which allowed us to kill the two snipers. We then made our way outside to signal the Pelican for Evac, and that's when we saw that Rarity, her name, had appeared. Corporal Miller was assigned to carry her to the Pelican, as her legs were inactive from whatever brought her to the planet. The pelican arrived, and we made our way to our ship, the Antieatam, and we introduced her to the Captain. It was shortly after that a Covenant boarding group arrived, and we took refuge in the armory, where a single Covenant Squad showed up. We were able to kill them, and we, along with the other survivors, soon evacuated to the London. As it was on its way here in Slipspace, we took some down time to help Rarity get adjusted to UNSC life, sir, as she decided of her own free will shortly before we came down that she wished to join."

"And the Grunt?" Stanforth asked, getting a glare from Parangosky.

"That is best told if Private Belle were to do so, sir," Jacob said. "Rarity?"

"Right," she said, nodding and getting looks from the four leaders. To her credit, she didn't shrink from them. "It was during the fight on the Antieatam that the Grunt, whose name is Pawas, surrendered to us, and I thought it a good idea to give him a chance. He also revealed on the way here that he used to work on gravity drives for Spirits, sir."

"Quite a story," Ackerson said. "Regardless, just bringing the Grunt here was and is a major breach of security. You all are lucky I didn't order the troopers to shoot you on sight."

Hood rolled his eyes before looking at the General. "As always, Ackerson, unless you come up with them, you try to shoot down any thing that could give humanity a chance in this war."

"At least I am trying to save humanity, Hood."

"Would the two of you save the infighting for somewhere private," Parangosky snapped at her fellow leaders. "I must, though, agree with Hood, Ackerson. Just having gravity drives rated for dropships could be a large step for us, as we could incorporate those into the ODST pods, lessening the casualties just from the launch."

"Agreed," Stanforth said. "But that still leaves the issue as to what we are going to do with the pony and Grunt."

"Simple," Hood said before looking at Rarity. "Miss Belle, is it true that you wish to join the UNSC?"

"Yes, sir," she said.

Hood nodded. "And what about you, Pawas?"

"Me just want to live," he said. "If it mean I go with humans and pony, so be it."

"That settles it, then," Hood said. "Unless there are any objections?"

"I simply wonder how a Grunt will be able to help one of our squads," Ackerson said.

"We already have something of a solution, sir," Josh said. "Though it's nothing more than an idea right now."

"How much of one," Parangosky asked.

"Oh, here we go," Tony mumbled.

"Twelve percent, ma'am."

"That's barely a concept," Ackerson said.

"Better than eleven percent, though," Stanforth said.

"We can worry about that later," Hood said calmly. "For now, though, I believe Diamondback should be the ones to ensure the safety of the new recruit and the Grunt."

"I concur with Hood," Prangosky said. "They found them, they take care of them."

"Then this meeting is over with," Stanforth said. "Diamondback, you're dismissed."

"Sir!" they said, saluting, before leaving.

Once they left the room, they made their way to the elevator, only to be stopped when Hood came up behind them. "Hold up, Diamondback," he said.

"Sir," they said, saluting before Jacob asked, "Do you need anything else, sir?"

"No, Staff Sergeant," he replied. "I simply wished to talk with your new member in private, if that's alright with you."

"Of course it is, sir," Jacob said.

"Then the rest of you are dismissed. Private, walk with me."

"Sir, they all said, and the humans of the squad, along with Pawas, got in the elevator, and the door closed.

"You seem to be adjusting to military life quite well," was the first thing Hood said as he and Rarity began to walk. "Were you in your people's military before?"

"Not exactly, sir," Rarity said.

"Care to explain?" he asked, a genuine question. "And don't worry, I made sure any ONI devices that could listen in are disabled." This wasn't exactly a lie, as Hood told it. Any device he knew of, a small amount, given ONI, that could listen in was disabled for the time being.

"Well, I guess the simplest explanation," Rarity said, "would be that me and five of my friends were chosen by old artifacts to wield them, and we go on missions the princess gives us, though we were still, technically, civilians."

"Not even an honorary military position," Hood asked. "I know your race is different than mine, but if a civilian does something while in a combat zone that goes beyond what even the military expects of them, such as using their personal vehicles to help evac troops when they could just run, they often get a medal, and with it comes an honorary rank."

"Well, just about every guard had to follow our orders," Rarity said. "Though we never used that power. Actually, now that I think about, most ponies didn't even know who we were after we became heroes."

"Not even a parade in your honor," Hood asked.

"No. The only one I can think of that had to do with my friends and I was when one of my friends became a princess herself."

"Sounds like your kind looks up to your rulers highly. Some would probably say too highly, even."

"I wouldn't see why," Rarity said. "After all, it's because of them that we've never had a war."

Hood shook his head. "Margret is going to have a field day getting intl on your race, then."

"Why's that?"

"Well, the way you talk about your rulers and the fact you've had no wars, it makes them sound more like appeasers than ruler. I may not like war, most don't, but it's wars that help a race evolve, more technologically than anything else. Does your kind even have space travel?"

"Only in science fiction, sir," Rarity replied. "Though we do have airships and ships made of steel. Why?"

"Would you believe me if I said almost all the technology humans have is because we kept trying to find better ways to kill each other?" This brought a look of surprise to Rarity's face. "I thought so," Hood said, seeing her expression. "I don't mean to bash your people's way of life, Private, I'm just giving you a slight lesson on human culture."

"Of course, sir," Rarity replied.

"Good. Now, get back with the rest of your squad. I already have a driver that'll take you to the training area."

"Sir," Rarity replied, saluting, before making her way back to the elevator.


"And, well, that's about it for me," Rarity finished. "For now, anyway."

"This Admiral Hood sounds wise," Luna said. "Prechance, will he be coming for the official negotiations?"

"Maybe," Rarity said. "And that wasn't the last time I would see him, either, but that's about two years later in the story."

"He was correct, also," Celestia said. "In our war with the griffons, our technology has advanced. Not that it's stopping the griffons, though."

"What do you mean, Princess," Twilight asked.

Rainbow was the one who answered. "About two years ago, they started using extremely advanced weapons. Like your weapons, Twi. And our pegasai scouts would sometimes report weird things, like big vehicles colored blue or purple, and green, for lack of a better term, wads of magic that would melt away a pony's skin, and smaller bursts of magic that vary in color, but with the same effect."

Twilight and Rainbow stiffened. "Rainbow," Twilight said, "that isn't magic, that's plasma."

"Which is to say," Rarity added, "Covenant weapons. Twilight, I'm going to let Brooks and the others know. You can start your next part." Rarity then got up and put her helmet on before she walked out of the room.

"And the shit hit the fan before it was even thrown," Twilight sighed. "Not surprising, I guess." She then got a small smile. "Then again, this isn't the worst thing we've encountered."

"So far, Twilight," Arion added. "So far."

"Yeah, Arion, I know," Twilight said, rolling her eyes.

"But we had thought humans had a peace with the Covenant, if what Pinkie guess is right," Applejack said.

"Yes and no," Twilight said. "More like a peace agreement with the Sangheili and the ones who follow them, but their are a lot of warlords who say they lead he Covenant now. This is most likely a group that doesn't know of the treaty, or one of the latter."

"Then what are we going to do," Spike asked, slightly panicked.

"Rarity's already on that, telling Captain Brooks so she can let the UNSC know, and let them know we might need reinforcements. In the meantime, do you guys want to know what went on with me?" Twilight said, to which they nodded.


Twilight nervously walked into the office of the San'Shyuum she was meeting. The room itself was almost organic in fell, not a single corner on the walls, with little decoration. In the center was a desk that had a similar aesthetic to the room, and had a small. . . well, Twilight wasn't sure what it was, but, if she had to guess, it was something that allowed for communication, as well as let the user call up anything they needed in terms of information, that last thought making Twilight excited. But what got her attention was the individual who sat behind the desk.

Said individual was in some kind of seat that hovered off the floor, the top being spherical, somewhat, and wore green robes that looked as if they were made of silk. He had a youthful appearance, as well as slight, brown hair on his head, and some kind of ornamentation on his back.

He heard her come in, and looked up from a data pad in his hands, which had three, slender fingers. "Ah, Your Highness," he said, his chair coming out from behind the chair. "The Guard Captain told me he was bringing you here. It is an honor to meet you."

"Th-thank you," Twilight said, nervously.

"No need to be nervous of one like my self, Highness," he said. "Oh, where are my manners? I am Urd Lozco, Minister of Fairness."

"And I'm Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship," Twilight said, nervousness in her voice still.

Urd raised the San'Shyuum equivalent of an eyebrow. "An interesting title, if I may, highness."

"It's alright," she said. "I know that others would find it a strange title if they don't know what friendship means to my people."

"Well, regardless, I imagine you wish to begin negotiations, Highness?"

"I would," Twilight said. "So, um, what's usually first in these situations. This is my first time in negotiations."


"Actually being in them, that is," Twilight said, glaring at the other three alicorns. "But I'm getting off topic."


"That would depend on what needed the negotiations," Urd said. "Seeing as how this is a first contact, I think answering questions may be best."

"In that case, how is it i can understand you? Of what Ruso told me, your kind only speak the Covenant language."

"I had guessed you would ask that, Highness," Urd said. "Which is why I had translation device installed in my chair. You hear what I say in your tongue, and I yours."

"Oh," Twilight said, her eyes lighting up. "Do you think I can get one?"

"May I ask why, Highness?"

"I like to learn about new things," she said.

"Ah, I can sympathize with that, Highness," the Minister said. "I was like that before I obtained my current position, and still am, to a certain degree. I shall see if one can be sent up."

"Thanks," Twilight said with a small smile.

"Of course, Highness? Now, if I may ask, is there any way you can contact your fellow rulers? Things would be easier if all of them could be in this conversation."

Twilight shook her head. "No. I had paper with me when I arrived in front of Ruso, but I guess I lost it, and the energy I would need for a long range spell to allow for instant conversation would kill me before the first second was over."

"Of course, Highness," Urd said. "Then I suppose you have a few more questions?"

"Not now, no," Twilight said. "What about you?"

"Only questions that can wait until later, your Highness. For now, we can begin what negotiations we can, which brings us to the first point I can discuss: Your people's place within the Covenant. You see, Highness, we work on a caste system, with the Unggoy at the bottom, and my kind at the top, with the Sangheili just under us, and the Jiralhanae under them. Brining a new race is almost always a difficult time, as the new race's place must be determined. It is hard especially in your case, Highness, as you are the only one of your race we have encountered."

"Well, do I have any say in the matter?" Twilight asked.

"Yourself, Highness, no. Your skills and abilities, yes. I have been made aware by transmission from ship master Xasze 'Tafam'ee as to some of your abilities, including your telekinesis and flight, and a recording of your race having further sub-races, of which you are of the rarest, correct?"

"Yes," Twilight said. "There's only four alicorns, myself included, and I'm the weakest. and each pony types has unique traits."

"I had guessed as much, Highness. Otherwise, I doubt your kind would be as diverse. Would you mind telling me of the general abilities, so that I have more information with which to make my decision?"

"Not at all, Urd," Twilight said. "Earth ponies are the most common, and are the strongest pony race. They're more often then not farmers. Then there's pegasai, which are able to fly and manipulate weather."

"So they are able to control the elements?" Urd asked.

"No, more just able to make and move clouds," Twilight replied. "Then unicorns, which is what I was. They're able to use the most kinds of magic, compared to the others. Except alicorns, that is, which are a mix of all three, and have more magical capability."

"I imagine it takes an amazing feat to become one of these 'alicorns'?"

"Yeah, it does," Twilight said. "I had to finish a spell that the greatest mage wasn't able to, and Cadence, my old foal sitter, had to save an entire town."

"Those do indeed sound like impressive feats," Urd said. "Given that, as well as what you told me of your races abilities, I think I know the best location in the hierarchy for your kind."

"Where?" Twilight asked.

"I am not sure what the other San'Shyuum will think on it, but I believe the best location would be on equal footing with the Sangheili and Jiralhanae, with you and the three other royals having the same authority as a council member, higher than I."

"What does that mean, exactly?" Twilight asked.

"It essentially means the only ones you need take orders from are the three High Prophets," Urd said before dropping into a whisper and bending over lightly. "Though, to be honest, I think even they should have to bow to royalty and take orders from them."

"Why?" Twilight asked.

"Because they have far too much power, in my opinion, Highness." Urd then straightened up. "But that is beyond my status, Highness. The only question I can think of for you now is what do you wish to do now?"

Twilight brought a hoof to her chin in thought. "I guess," she said, after a while, "help Ruso in the field."

"But that would put you in needless danger, Highness."

"So?" Twilight asked. "They're my friends, and I want to help them."

"If that is what you wish, Highness," Urd said. "I shall send an order to the weapon and armor forges(1) and tell them to prepare something for you, as well as training facilities."

"Thank you, Minister," Twilight said.

"You need not call me that, Highness," Urd said. "In truth, I never really liked being the Minister of Fairness, as many titles are the opposite of those who bear them, and I am not like those. In private, you may call me by my name."

"If that's the case, Urd," Twilight said, "you can just call me Twilight when it's just us and my guards, as they're under the same instruction."

"I shall keep that in mind, Twilight," Urd said. "In the meantime, I think we have done what we can with negotiations."

"Yeah, same here," Twilight said. "I guess I'll be going now," she said, making her way to the door.

Author's Note:

Waiting room based on ONI Headquarters lobby from Glasslands.
1:Just seems appropriate for a religious group to call weapon and armor foundries forges to me.