• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 3,963 Views, 188 Comments

A Rarity of a soldier - Lon35hadow



Rarity is sent to a UNSC colony world. What new friends will she make, and can she return home?

  • ...
20
 188
 3,963

Getting to know each other-Pt2

"Okay, before you guys get back to the story," Rainbow said, "I gotta know, Rarity: What's with the eye?"

"Oh, this," Rarity said, pointing to her left eye. "It's a prosthetic. How I got it isn't until a few years into the story."

"Aw," Pinkie said. "I was hoping you'd actually tell us," she said, a sad look on her face.

"Oh, don't worry, Pinkie," Twilight said. "There's a lot of good stuff between where we are now and then."

"And I do believe it's my turn," Rarity said.


The rest of the pelican ride was a short one, only a few minutes. When it arrived, Jacob said, "Rarity, just stay here until we can get the captain down here to see you, got it?"

"But of course," Rarity said. "A lady must be patient, after all."

"Right," Tony said as the ramp lowered. "Well, we'll see ya later."

"Of course," Rarity said. "I'll see the four of you later."

With that, Jacob and the rest of Diamondback got off the pelican, a D-77 model, only to find the Captain, a man in his early thirties, physically speaking due to cryosleep, about sixty chronologically, wearing freshly a pressed captains outfit with the UNSC insignia on the suit's left breast pocket.

"Ten-shun!" Jacob said upon seeing the Captain, and he and the rest of his squad saluted.

"At ease, Diamondback," he said. "Comms told me you had something important, and I wanted to see it as soon as possible."

"Not an it," sir," Josh said, his hands behind his back. "More of a 'she'."

"What do you mean, Corporal?" the Captain asked.

"Best if we showed you, sir," Jacob said, raising his hand and pointing a thumb towards the crew compartment of the pelican. "She's in there."

"Well, tell her she can come out," the Captain said. "It's not like she's a covie, is she?"

"No, sir," Jacob said. He turned back around and said, "Rarity, the Captain's here, and he wants you to come out."

"Coming," Rarity said in a sing song voice before she walked out, making the Captain's eyes widen.

"Staff Sergeant, am I seeing a talking, white unicorn with a purple mane and tail?"

"Yes sir, you are," Jacob said. "Rarity, this is Captain Hayden Price of the Antieatam. Captian, this is our guest we picked up on the planet, Rarity. We have no idea where she's from, we didn't ask, and she doesn't remember how she go there, though Bishop thinks that might be because of short term memory loss brought on by the event."

Price nodded, then looked at Rarity. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Rarity," he said with a polite bow, as he always was chivalrous.

"Oh, why thank you, Captain," Rarity said. "If I may ask, where are we?"

"On board the UNSC Antieatam, for one," Price said. "If by where on the ship, we're in one of the hangers. And, seeing as how this is first contact for our races, I hope we can become allies."

"Well, I do know the princesses, so I'm certain I can help when I get back," Rarity said. "But until then, I'd be happy to answer any questions."

"Thank you, Miss Rarity," Price said. "I have to get back to the bridge. Diamond back, I'm tasking you five with being her escorts until we can get to CENTCOM, and that includes answering whatever questions you can, understood?"

"Sir, yes sir," Diamondback squad replied with salutes.

Price nodded. "Good. I'll have Hercules prepare a room for her, then. Carry on." With that, Price left the hanger bay, making his way back to the bridge.


"Wow, he sounds nice," Pinkie said. "Do you think we could meet him?"

Rarity winced a little. "I'm afraid not," she said. "It's. . . complicated, to say the least, and Twilight was there, so she can attest to that."

"That I can," Twilight said. "I still can't believe that happened."

"What, Twilight," Celestia asked, concern for her former student in her voice.

"Nothing, Celestia," Twilight said. "That's close to the end of the story, and we don't want to skip anything. She turned to Rarity. "So, Rarity, want to continue, or should I go?"

"You can go, Twilight," Rarity said. "I'm sure everyone's wondering what happened to you."

Right," Twilight said before continuing her part.


As Twilight, escorted by Ruso, made her way to the Covenant outpost, she couldn't help but notice all the bodies. "Uh, Ruso, are those humans?"

"For the most part, highness. Many of them are, with a small few being other Covenant troops," Ruso said. "This planet was not heavily defended, and they lost many when we first attacked."

"But why not try to capture them," Twilight asked.

"Because, like my people, they have honor enough to fight to the death. One of the few things that isn't an insult I can say about them, along with their ingenuity."

"Really?" Twilight asked.

"Indeed, highness," Ruso said, nodding, as the two made it to the edge of the camp. One T'voan Kig-yar, what the humans called a skirmisher, and one Ruutian Kig-tar, the most common variety of the species, both with the Type-51 carbine, raised their weapons at Twilight, growling, before Ruso raised a hand.

"Do not fire," he said in the Covenant language. "She is royalty of a new species, and I am certain the high council will wish to speak with her and have her race become a part of our Covenant."

The two Kig-yar, growled, but lowered their weapons, though they still had their eyes on Twilight. "Do not worry, your highness," Ruso said. "They will not harm you so long as you are an ally of the Covenant."

"Oh, good," Twilight said, nervously eyeing the Kig-yar. "So, when will I be able to speak with your leaders?"

"That is uncertain," Ruso said. "They are often bust interpreting the will of the gods. At best, you will be able to speak with a lower representative of one of our ministries."

As the two walked through the camp, they got looks of what could be guesses was confusion at what they saw. "So, how will that work?"

"I will take you up to the ship I was deployed from, and put in a request for a San'shyuum to speak with you."

"Do you think they might be able to help me find my friend," Twilight asked.

"If the humans haven't killed her, highness, we will find her," Ruso said as the two came upon a dropship, two Sangheili in front of it. One wore a blue combat harness, a Carbine across his chest held by his hands.

The second wore a claret assault harness, a type-1 energy sword on his thigh and a plasma rifle in his hand.

"Hello, brothers," Ruso said to the two. "How goes your duties?"

"Quite well, Ultra," the blue one said before seeing Twilight. "What is that?"

"She is royalty of a new species, and I wish to take her to the ship so that she can speak with a San'Shyuum to establish a pact," Ruso said. He turned to face Twilight. "Highness, this is N'tho 'Saromee, a friend of mine," he said, gesturing to the blue armored Sangheili, who bowed his head. "And this," he said, gesturing to the claret one, is Usze 'Taham, another friend of mine."

"Your Highness," Usze said with a bow of his head. "It is an honor to be in your presence."

"Thank you," Twilight said, blushing at the attention. "So, you two are the guards for the ship?"

"Indeed, highness," N'tho said before turning to face Ruso. "I assume you wish to use it, Ultra?"

Ruso nodded. "Indeed I do, N'tho," he said. "If I am allowed, of course."

"I am certain that the fleetmaster will forgive us for letting the ship go when he learns of your find," Usze said. "You may use it, Ultra."

"I thank you," the Ultra said as he and Twilight stepped aboard the transport, a Type-25 spirit.

"Wow," Twilight whispered before speaking up. "I can't believe it. I'm actually inside a spaceship."

"If you think this is impressive, highness," Ruso said, going to the cockpit in the back of the ship, "wait until you see the Faithful Servant, the ship I was deployed from."

Twilight went wide eyed in amazement at that.


Rainbow snickered, getting looks from the others. "Yeah, that definitely sounds like you, Twilight."

"Shut up, Rainbow," Twilight said as a beeping could be heard from Rarity's pod.

"Uh, if I'm not interrupting," Fluttershy said, hiding behind her mane, Rarity, what's going on with what you came down in?"

"Oh, I had forgotten about that," Rarity said as she got up and went over.

"Uh, forgot what, Rares?" Applejack asked.

"I forgot that Twilight and I had to check in with our commander when we landed," she said as she pulled small, ovoid object from her pod with her magic. She brought it to her ear and, applying a little more pressure to the 'transmit' button. "Captain? We've made contact, and are letting them know what we were up to since we met with you. The others can be deployed." After a second, she said, "Understood, sir. We'll wait." With that, she put her communicator on her back, next to her rifle, which the others guessed was an MA5B from her earlier description of it, and went back to sit next to Twilight.

"Who was that," Luna asked.

"Captain Shannon Brooks, our current CO," Twilight replied. "Due to our, well, circumstances, when they found Equis, they wanted Rarity and I to initiate first contact, with us requesting our squad come down after it was initiated."

"They should be here tomorrow," Rarity said. "And yes, Pinkie, they eat cupcakes."

Pinkie jumped up in excitement, screaming, "Yay!" before sinking back down so the two could resume the story.


The ride to the Faithful Servant was a quick one, but Twilight still learned a little. Looking out the view ports, she could see two different ship styles, one being organic like the Spirit, and one style being block like, in combat, with the latter being utterly devastated. "Uh, Ruso, what are those ships?" she asked.

"Those, your majesty, are human ships, the ones that have the color of steel. Ours are the purple ones."

"What's going on?"

"The humans, as always, are trying to prevent our forces from taking their planet, but just one of our lesser ships are equal to three of theirs." If Twilight knew the history of the war, she'd know he was referring to the official first contact between the Covenant and humanity. "Though, I must admit, they are clever enough to use that fight to get as many of their civilians off planet."

"I thought you wanted to exterminate them."

"Yes, but I find it highly dishonorable to kill those who can't protect themselves. Many of my brothers do not care, but a small number, including N'tho and Usze, agree with me, even if we can do nothing about it."

"How come," Twilight asked.

"Because, if we did try to do something about it, we would be labeled as heretics. We and our families would lose honor, maybe even killed."

"So you're Protecting your families?" Twilight asked.

"Indeed we are," Ruso said.

It was few seconds before Twilight spoke up again. "Ruso, if you could, would you try to make peace with the humans?"

The question caught the Ultra off guard. "Why do you ask, highness? If I may know."

"Well, you said that their are a few traits you, and, by reasonable guess, all of your particular race, respect in humans. Plus, they're willing to sacrifice lives to protect civilians, which I know my people would consider an honorable thing, even if we haven't had a war in who know how many years," Twilight said. "Even they have families. If they acted the same as now, but walked, talked, and looked like your race, would you still be at war with them?"

Ruso opened his jaws to answer, but then he began to think on the question. She did have a fair point, after all. He was not a scholar, but he had read texts from when the other covenant species had been brought in, and, like humanity, they were considered heretics. Even destroying relics wasn't unheard of, as the Lekgolo worms, or the Mgalekgolo, what humans called hunters, had sometimes eaten through Forerunner structures, and yet, they were in the covenant now. Which begged the questin as to why the opposite was true for humanity, who, in hindsight, Ruso realized, had simply acted like even a Sangheili would on first contact, as he had had contact with one of the few Jiralhanae who escaped, who told him they were hunting for artifacts with out the humans being aware. He had no idea what the humans thought, but if it were the Sangheili, they would have thought they were trying to find an ambush spot, and would have opened fire.

"I do not know, highness," Ruso said after a few seconds of thought. "I fell that it would require to know someone in their command, and none of the covenant do."

"Oh," Twilight said, looking down in disappointment.

"Though, I doubt they would wish for peace anyway, as we have killed many of them, and they are not ones to forgive. So now, we can never find peace, and they will try anything to wipe us out."

Twilight rode the rest of the trip in silence, though, given her expression, what little he saw of them so far from her, Ruso guessed she was thinking. About what, he was not certain, but something nonetheless.

"If I may ask you a question, highness," he said, "If we found your friend, what would you do then, as I am certain the humans have told her their point of view on the war?"

"I-I don't know," Twilight said. "I guess it just depends on who we want to believe more. In my case, that would be between believing you, or Rarity, and her believing me or the humans." She sighed. "But, if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with you, Ruso."


As the jaws of the others dropped to the ground, Twilight and Rarity snickered. "I guess we should have seen something like that coming, huh," Rarity said.

"Yep," Twilight said.

"Uh, if that happened," Rainbow asked, why didn't you two try to kill each other when you first met again?" She was promptly punched by Spike.

"Who says we didn't?" Rarity asked. "But that's later on," she said before she resumed her part of the telling.


"And here's the mess," Josh said as he and the rest of Diamondback showed Rarity the first room on her tour, aside from the hanger. There weren't a lot of people there. Really, just two other humans, one male, one female.

The six of them walked in, and Rarity's escorts went to get their own food from the, if Rarity had to guess at what they were, robots that were preparing trays. "Come on, Rarity," Tony said as the five of them sat at a table close to the door, with Rarity sitting next to Jacob.

"I swear, I hate this shit," Josh said as he put a spoon of, for lack of a better term, green shit, and nearly barfed. "Okay, this is the worst stuff I've tasted. Some one give me a a granola bar, chocolate chip. Now."

"Here," Bishop said, taking a granola bar out of her pocket and handing it to Josh. "Any one else?" she asked, pulling out five more, with her squad taking three. "Want one, Rarity?"

"It's either that or this crap," Patrick said, pointing to the muck that was a military meal.

"I'll take the granola," Rarity said, taking one of them in her magical grasp and opening it. She took a bite, and her eyes widened as the flavor hit her mouth. "This is the second most amazing," she said. "And given what I've eaten, that's saying something."

"Thanks, Rarity," Bishop said. "Family recipe." With that, they all ate the granola bars.

"Delicious," Jacob said.

"Second that," Patrick said as he got up to throw the food on his tray away, and put the tray into the washer. Just as he had finished that, the ship shook, and he fell on his ass.

"All hands, this is Captain Price," Price said, coming over the intercom. "We have a covenant cruiser inbound, and our engines are damaged. They will most likely try to board, so all hands, prepare to repel boarders."

Author's Note:

Chapters one and two went through a slight rewrite. Nothing major, but I'd recommend going back before reading to understand everything, as I put in segments of the future from when Twilight and Rarity return.