• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 4,456 Views, 74 Comments

Return Of The Showmare - Horizon Spark



Through some unfortunate events, Trixie is forced to stay with her eternal enemy; Twilight Sparkle. But, why does she hate her so much?

  • ...
12
 74
 4,456

Chapter 8: Growing Hatred and Sharing Kindness

Chapter 8: Growing Hatred and Sharing Kindness

“Hey Twilight, could you please help me with this spell? I just can’t get this darn thing working.”

“Um...okay. Just let me finish this problem first.”

“Thank you so much Twilight, you’ll be a great help to me.”

It has only been a week since Twilight Sparkle started attending the School for Gifted Unicorns, and already she gained the attention of the teachers. Not only was she Celestia’s most recent personal student, but she excelled in every assignment and test given to her. She even gained the admiration of her classmates.

Except for one.

Trixie Lulamoon loathed that unicorn, she couldn't stand the sight of students running up to her, and asking her for help on work or to watch her perform a spell flawlessly. That all used to be for her. She loved impressing her classmates and helping them with their problems. But that all changed when she came along.

Trixie never felt this feeling before, jealousy towards another, in fact she didn’t want to feel this towards her. To her she was a freak, no normal Unicorn could possess that kind of power at such a young age. Even Princess Celestia herself was so impressed at her that she took her as a personal student, a role that Trixie felt should’ve been hers. But that all paled in comparison, when she saw that Minuette had asked Twilight to help her with a hard spell, and not her.

“Hey Minuette,” Trixie called out getting her friend’s attention. “I heard you were having trouble with the Duplication Spell we’re learning. Mabey you and I could have another study session to figure it out?”

“I’d love to,” she replied rubbing the back of her head. “But I already asked the new filly, Twilight if she could help me out. But we can do it next time alright?”

“Sure that’s fine.” Trixie said waving at her friend. She thought more about that phrase as she walked away. What if there wasn’t going to be a next time? What if she would rather hang out with Twilight and not her? What if Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine does the same? The thought of her friends leaving her for somepony more powerful than her sent a big chill down her spine. “No,” she whispered to herself. “I won’t let you take away my spotlight.”

Suddenly, the class bell rung prompting everypony to head for their seats. Mr. Marks came in soon after, carrying a clipboard in his magic. “Settle down class,” he said in a loud yet calm voice. “Before we get started, we should go over Friday’s homework. I take it that everypony practiced and can perform the Transparency Spell with relative ease?”


Trixie nearly forgot about the Transparency Spell her and Silver practiced over the weekend.
Or tried to since her mother didn’t do much, feeling more tired as day go by. She then got an idea that made her grin mischievously. Each student had to give a demonstration of the Spell given to them for homework, and they’re graded on how well they can perform it. If she can put in a little ‘pizazz’ in her demonstration, she could remind her students who’s still top Unicorn.

She giggled quietly knowing exactly what to do. One by one each student were tasked with making a small cardboard box invisible with the spell. Some did it perfectly, while others struggled. After Minuette’s turn, Trixie went up next walking towards the box. “Alright Trixie,” Mr. Marks said. “Show us what you can do.”

“Oh I will.” She said under her breath. She lowered her head, closed her eyes as her horn glowed preparing the spell. But just as she was about to cast it, she stood on her hind legs in a great pose while small fireworks shot out of her horn. She then fired the spell towards the cardboard box. When she was done she heard nothing but silence coming from the room. ‘Must’ve been too amazing for them to comprehend.’ She turned towards the others preparing to bow, until a loud yell shook her off balance.

“Where am I, what happened to me!?”

Trixie looked up to see that one of the students, Lyra Heartstrings, was completely invisible, and the box was left untouched. The students started to laugh and clap hysterically at the panicking mare’s misfortune. Trixie’s cheeks blushed crimson red, realizing her plan was a complete bust.

“Ahem.”

She hesitantly looked up to see a very disgruntled Mr. Marks looking down at her. She gave out a shy grin as he shook his head. Marks’ horn glowed as he pointed it towards Lyra turning her visible. “While you did performed the spell perfectly, next time you should focus less on theatrics and more on your aim.”

Trixie lowered her head as she returned to her desk, the laughter dying down. She softly slammed her head against her desk. ‘Should’ve gone without the pyrotechnics.’ Before she could sulk anymore she heard claps coming from her classmates. She looked up to see that they were applauding at Twilight, who not only made the box invisible, but managed to turn herself invisible.

When her spell died down she nervously turned towards her classmates. “Sorry about that. I did a little too much studying last night.”

“No need for apologies Ms. Sparkle. That was an amazing job. Worthy of an A.”

As Twilight gave out a small smile, Trixie could only stare at the filly as she growled in sheer anger. “This isn’t over, Sparkle!”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….....

Trixie brushed her hair profusely doing her best to fix up her bed mane. Today she was to meet with one of Sparkle’s friends Fluttershy. While she didn’t knew much about her, Twilight had told her that she was few things about her, like how she was the Element of Kindness, and loved to take care of animals.

As she finished up brushing, she looked the mirror to have a last look at her appearance. She had a feeling that it was all going to be ruined by wild animals and their antics. But if she was going to face humiliation, she might as well do it with dignity nowadays. She then heard a knock at the door.

“Are you all done in there?”

Trixie nearly cringed out of instinct as she heard her voice. “The Great and Powerful Trixie will be ready when she’s ready.” She stopped for a moment, waiting for a response.

“That’s okay, just take your time.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow, but decided to keep going. After a few more minutes, she exited the bathroom to see Twilight reading a spellbook. ‘No doubt she’s looking for a new easy spell to practice.’ She coughed to get her attention. “Alright Sparkle, I’m ready to meet this, Fluttershy. What does she have planned for me anyways?”

“I’m not sure, but knowing her she would like for you to help her take care of the animals with her.” Twilight said with a smile.

“Sounds easy enough. When I’m done, I’ll come back here and we work on those spells.”

“Sounds great. I’ll find the perfect set we can work on when you come back.”

Trixie pointed her nose in the air. “I expect something more worth my time than a Transparency Spell.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll find something you’ll like.” Twilight said looking back into her book. Before she could look for tonight’s spell, she quickly looked back up to catch the magician before she could leave. “Before you go Trixie, I just wanted to say that you were great last night.”

Trixie did a double take when she heard her, but quickly grinned and gestured to herself. “Well was there ever any doubt? I’ve been the master of spells ever since I was a foal. And while she has suffered through some minor setbacks, she’ll show those ungrateful ponies who’s the most powerful Unicorn in Equestria is.”

Twilight nodded at Trixie’s ambitions, just as she started to get a stern look. “There is something I want to bring up though.” Trixie tilted her head. “It’s nothing serious or anything, but it seemed that you were, for lack of a better word, depressed when you couldn’t perform the Ring Trick. Is there something I need to know?”

“Well…I…uh…it was nothing Sparkle. You were right and I was wrong, I should’ve started with the basics. There’s nothing else to it.”

“But you looked so sad when you couldn’t perform it. Not to mention how you reacted when I told you that we were just doing basic spells.”

Trixie felt as if a vein was about to burst. “Why are you bugging in something so trivial? The Great and Powerful Trixie does not have any problems, and she definitely does not need you worrying about her.”

“I’m bugging you because we’re friends and I want to help…”

“SHUT UP YOU INSIGNIFIGANT FREAK!”

Twilight backed away as Trixie breathed heavily from her outburst. Never has she been called that, nor has she heard Trixie say something so irate. “Trixie…”

“I’ll see you when I get back. Good day Sparkle.”

As she slammed the door heading towards Fluttershy’s, Twilight couldn’t help but sigh. “I wish I could say the same to you.”

“There you go you two, lunch just for you.”

Fluttershy hummed happily as she fed two ferrets their meals. It was lunch time in her cottage, and the animals were all enjoying their food. “That seems to be enough for you. Trixie, are you finished in…”

CRASH!!

“Stop squirming you annoying little rat!”

Fluttershy cringed as she heard the sounds of glass breaking in her kitchen. Trixie must be having trouble with Angel Bunny. “Trixie, do you need my…”
“Ha, now your cornered rodent. Eat your salad immediately!”

“You shouldn’t provoke him like...”

“Hey! Get back here, I won’t be humiliated by a long-eared rat.”

“Um…maybe you should…”

“Wait a minute, don’t touch that you’ll get that all over my…AUGH!”

“Oh Trixie…”

After a minute of loud noises and screams of annoyance, Angel realized that not only was he actually hungry, but he was getting bored. So he decided to give in and accept his food. Finally able to catch a break, Trixie came out the kitchen, her mane soaking wet with water as she sat down on Fluttershy’s couch. “Stupid little fur ball.”

Trixie noticed that the yellow Pegasus has brought in a tea set. She placed it on a table, and poured it in two cups giving one to Trixie. “Here you go, I poured you some green tea.”

“Thank you.” Trixie too the cup in her magic and gradually drank the entire cup. The taste of her favorite drink managed to calm her nerves. Somewhat. “This is a nice gesture, I don’t know how you can deal with creatures. Especially THAT one!”

On cue Angel Bunny faced the magician, blowing a raspberry. Fluttershy flashed him her trademark ‘Stare’ making Angel smile sheepishly and scurry away with his salad. “I take it you’re not an animal pony are you.”

“Trixie never had much experience with animals, besides the very few times I’ve pulled rabbits out of my hat. I did once had a pet goldfish before.”

“Oh that’s wonderful, goldfish make such great pets.”

“He was. For a good two weeks until I had to flush Mr. Bubbles down the toilet.”

“Oh...that’s sad. But when it comes to animals and especially ponies, you just need to show them a little kindness.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow. “Sounds like something a parent would say to a five child. I doubt being nice will get you everything you need.”

Fluttershy giggled to herself. “It can’t get you everything, but showing just a little can go a long way. Like how Twilight has been letting you stay at the castle.”

Trixie turned her head. “It was a nice gesture, unfortunately it’ll take more than that for me to ever get along with her.”

“You’re still mad at what she did are you?”

“Of course Trixie’s mad at her!” Trixie shouted startling the Pegasus. She took a deep breath before continuing. “I apologize for the outburst, but I just can’t ever forgive that pony for what she did to me.”

“Fluttershy looked at her guest with concern, but turned it back into a smile. “I don’t know anything about you’re history with Twilight, but one thing I know is that you shouldn’t dwell on the past like this. Maybe if you were to work out your differences with each other, you two would become great friends.”

“And why should I bother to become friends with her?”

“Well, have you ever thought about what it would be like you two were friends before?”

Trixie tried to say some sort of rebuttal, but failed. ‘Being friends with Sparkle,’ she thought to herself. It was something she thought about ever since she saw the unicorn during her entrance exam. To teach a younger unicorn everything she knew, to stand with somepony who could help her become known throughout Equestria as an amazing magician. Of course now those thoughts will never happen now, didn’t stop it from being interesting.

A knock was heard distracting Trixie from her thoughts. “I’ll get it.” Fluttershy said as she flew towards the door. She then thought about one more thing she should take in account for. Being nice to Twilight Sparkle. While it pained her to think about it, she realized it’s pointless to still be angry at her. There could be benefits to becoming her friend, like her sessions which could finally give her the comeback she needs. But if she wants to start being friends with her she should start by apologizing for her outburst this morning.

“Thanks again for your signature Fluttershy!”

Trixie heard what sounded like the high-pitched voice of Sweetie Belle. She turned to see that her along with the orange Pegasus and yellow Earth Pony from yesterday, getting some sort of paper signed.

“Your welcome guys.” Fluttershy kindly said. “Sorry Rarity was too busy this week to get it signed.”

“It’s alright Fluttershy, she should still be able to go tomorrow.” Scootaloo said. “Which also means that the three of us are totally going on this trip. Ain’t that great?”

“I can’t wait for tomorrow.” Sweetie excitedly stated. “How about you Applebloom?”

“Uhh…yeah girls. Definitely ready for tomorrow and not having second thoughts at all.”

Fluttershy completely unaware of Applebloom’s last comment, simply smiled warmly. “Well it’s good to know you are all ready to go to the Ponyville Dam, is there anything else you three need?”

“Sorry, but we all gotta go. Bye Fluttershy.”

With that, the CMC took their leave. Fluttershy went back into the room where Trixie was. She saw Trixie deep in thought, her eyes closed as she sat there in her couch. “Is something wrong Trixie?”

Thinking that those fillies plans won’t happen she decided not to bring up Sweetie Belle’s punishment. “No Fluttershy, it’s nothing. But I do want to thank you for what you said earlier. I’ll try to take it into consideration when I see her tonight.”

“That sounds wonderful! I just hope that you’ll finally be able to get along with her.”

“I wouldn’t get your hopes up, but I guess it’s a good thought to have for now. But until then could I have some more tea please?”

“Of course you can.”

“Hey Twilight?”

Twilight turned her head to see Trixie standing near the door, rubbing her hoof against her leg. “Hey Trixie, I got everything ready for our next session. I’m ready whenever you are.”

“Before we start Sparkle I just want to apologize for my outburst this morning. She doesn’t even remember what got her so upset this morning. Nevertheless, it was rude and uncalled for. Could you forgive Trixie?”

Twilight stood their surprised to say the least. This nice side of Trixie she hasn’t seen since the day she found her in the Everfree forest. But it was a side she was really happy to see again. “It forgive you Trixie. But right now we got training to do. I remembered what you said about finding a harder spell to practice, so how does a spell that lets you control the properties of fire sound like?”

Trixie gave out a wide grin. “Sounds perfect.”