• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 3,102 Views, 81 Comments

An Author's Torment - Tiehunter



I try to write a shipfic but Pinkie Pie interupts.

  • ...
9
 81
 3,102

A Break From Logic

Pinkie Pie looked up from the counter as another customer entered Sugarcube corner. Her heart leapt into her throat at the sight of the new customer. He was hot. He had sleek and muscular light brown body and a flowing mane and short tail of a deeper shade of brown. On his flanks were quartets of white stars. What really drew Pinkie’s attention was the fact that he had not only a pair of wings, but also a unicorn horn.

Her heart began to beat faster as the alicorn walked up to the counter. The smile he gave her caused her stomach to flip flop and her legs to tremble. “Hi.” The alicorn said to Pinkie.

“Hi.” She squeaked back. She wanted to say more than just ‘hi’, but she felt as if all the breath had left her lungs.
He looked up at the menu above her head. She watched his green eyes scan the words. “Can I have a box of assorted cupcakes please?” He asked Pinkie as his eyes moved from the menu to her eyes. Her stomach jumped.

“Su-sure.” She stuttered. She managed with a little difficulty to put together his box of cupcakes. She shakily handed him the box, which he enveloped in his magic.

“Thanks.” He said to her with another knee weakening smile as he dropped the bits on the counter.

“Y-you’re welcome.” She said in a very Fluttershy-like voice. She watched his flank and back muscles ripple as he walked out of the store.

“That’s totally not how it would go.” Pinkie Pie said.

She turned around and walked into the kitchen, her mind still consumed with thoughts about-

Wait…what? What just happened?
“I said that’s totally not how it would go.” Pinkie repeated.
You can hear me?
“Duh,” Pinkie said, rolling her eyes, “How else would we be talking right now?”
That’s not possible. It’s not possible.
“Sure it is!” Pinkie exclaimed joyfully. “You just said ‘That’s not possible. It’s not possible.’”
How…how are you…how is this…how is this possible?
Pinkie shrugged. “I don’t know loud-voice-in-my-head, how is it possible?”
But…that can’t happen…this…it defies all logic and reasoning! It defies science! It defies the laws of the universe! It-oh wait…I should’ve seen that before.
“Seen what?” Pinkie asked curiously.
You’re Pinkie Pie.
“What’s that got to do with it?”
You defy logic and science on a constant basis. What’s another unbreakable law of science and common sense to someone who’s already broken so many?
“Apparently not unbreakable enough, huh?”
Apparently.
“So loud-voice-in-my-head, are you going to fix this story or what?” Pinkie asked.
Fix it?
“Yeah, fix it. You know, correct what’s wrong with it.”
What’s wrong with it?
“Everything.”
What? How can you say that? I’ve only managed to write the first several paragraphs so far.
“And so far they’ve been…blah.” Pinkie stuck out her tongue like she just ate something that tasted terrible.
Blah?
“Blah.” Pinkie confirmed with a nod.
Alright, what do you object to Pinkie?
“Firstily, I don’t think he’s right for me.”
What? You haven’t even gotten to know him yet!
“So what’s he like loud-voice-in-my-head?”
Well…he’s really smart like Twilight and really hard working like Applejack and really kind like Fluttershy and really creative like Rarity and really athletic like Rainbow Dash and-
“So he’s basically a combination of many of my best friends’ best traits?” Pinkie asked with her eyebrow raised questioningly.
Uh, I guess.
“Why would I want to date my friends?” Pinkie said with a look of disgust. “That’s wrong.”
Wrong?
“Sick and wrong.”
So, if you ignored the fact it was sick and wrong, would you date them?
“Um…” Pinkie debated this for several seconds. “Maybe?”

“Loud-voice-in-my-head?”

“Heeeelllllooooo!” Pinkie yelled.
Oh, sorry Pinkie Pie.
“Where’d you go loud-voice-in-my-head?”
I just got an idea.
“Really! Are you going to throw a party? Because I love parties! With the cake and the balloons and the streamers and fun party games and the not so fun party games and the guests and the-”
Pinkie.
“-presents and the punch and the music and the confetti and the rides and the petting zoos and the-”
Pinkie!
“-party crashers and the bouncers and the bouncers throwing out the party crashers and the strippers and-”
PINKIE!
“Yes very-loud-interrupting-voice-in-my-head?” Pinkie asked with a smile.
My idea has nothing to do with-did you say strippers?
“No very-loud-interrupting-voice-in-my-head, I didn’t.”
Yes you did, it says it right there.
“I didn’t say that silly,” Pinkie said with another smile, “you did. You’re the one writing this after all.”
But…but…I didn’t…never mind.
“Okie dokie lokie very-loud-interrupting-confused-voice-in-my-head.”
Let’s get back to the reason I’m writing this. Pinkie Pie, out of your five friends, who would you like to date most?
“Do I have to date someone?” Pinkie complained. “Can’t I just go on an epic adventure to battle a villain bent on wiping us out or something instead?”
Pinkie, this is a shipfic, not an adventure fic.
“How about I meet some aliens from another universe?”
It’s a shipfic, not a human fic.
“How about I go to another story’s universe?”
Shipfic, not crossover.
“How about-”
Pinkie, how about I show you the only other way I’m willing to write this?

***

Rainbow Dash walked slowly past Pinkie Pie, her flanks swaying suggestively. The other mare’s rainbow tail brushed across Pinkie’s side, causing her to shudder. Rainbow turned her head around and gave Pinkie a coy smile. “How about we go upstairs?” Rainbow asked with a glint in her eyes. Pinkie watched Rainbow’s athletic body as her muscles shifted under her cyan coat while she climbed the steps. Pinkie began to follow-

“STOP! STOP WRITING!” Pinkie Pie yelled in horror. “What is that…that…sick…wrong...”
It’s called a clopfic Pinkie. And it’s either that or a shipfic.
“Shipfic! Write the shipfic! PLEASE!”
That’s what I thought.
“How could you ever write something like that very-loud-interrupting-confused-gross-voice-in-my-head?” Pinkie said with a look of complete disgust on her face. “It’s so…so…”
Sick?
“Yah, and so…so...”
Wrong?
“Completely wrong!”
It’s also the way this story’s going to go unless you choose one of your friends to date.
“Fine!” Pinkie mulled over the decision for several seconds. “I guess I’d go with...Rainbow Dash.”
Did that piece of clopfic influence your decision in any way?
“NO!”
Sure it didn’t Pinkie Pie.
“It didn’t!” Pinkie protested.
You keep telling yourself that.

***

The Wonderbolts soared by just overhead, the wind of their passage whipping the crowd of spectators’ manes into disarray. That didn’t bother Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash in the slightest however. Pinkie’s mane was always a complete mess anyways and Rainbow was too focused on the Wonderbolts to care about her appearance.

“I still can’t believe you took me to see the Wonderbolts Pinkie!” Rainbow Dash said in her high pitched fan voice. “This is the best date ever!”

Pinkie gave Rainbow a huge smile. “I knew you’d love it!” Pinkie said happily. Pinkie rummaged through her mane for several seconds before pulling out a bag of popcorn. “Popcorn?” She asked Rainbow merrily.

“Uh, sure Pinkie.” Rainbow said distractedly. Her pink eyes were completely focused on following the soaring forms of the Wonderbolts as they rolled and dove through the blue sky above. Pinkie watched Rainbow Dash’s expression of pure fascination as the Wonderbolts performed a new trick. She was happy that Rainbow Dash liked her choice of a first date so much.

They watched the rest of the show in wonder as the Wonderbolts performed their flawless aerial dance. Perfect rolls and loops, narrow misses, close formation flying and cloud tricks followed each other in a seemingly endless stream. Pinkie wasn’t sure whether it was her or Rainbow Dash that cheered the loudest at the end.

After the athletes had disappeared into their change room Rainbow Dash turned to Pinkie Pie with a huge smile. “That was so awesome!” She exclaimed. “Thanks for taking me Pinkie!”

“You’re welcome Dashie.” Pinkie said with a matching smile. She looked into Dash’s pink eyes and suddenly realised her right fore-hoof was freezing cold. That could only mean one thing. Dash leaned toward Pinkie and-

“Hold up!” Pinkie said.
What? What’s wrong?
“Several things very-loud-interrupting-confused-gross-voice-in-my-head.”
Like what?
“Firstily, I only keep cupcakes in my mane. Popcorn is kept in my tail.”
Uh, okay.
“Secondily, when I’m about to be kissed, my right hoof doesn’t get freezey. It ‘s my left ear that gets nibbly.”
Nibbly?
“Yes, nibbly.”
What does that...never mind, I’m not even going to ask. Anything else wrong Pinkie?
“Yah,” Pinkie said with a frown. “I don’t think Rainbow Dash is the one I should be dating.”
Really?
“I mean, she’s lots of fun and really fast and athletic and great at pulling pranks, but I don’t think this’ll work.”
Why not Pinkie? Out of the five I think Rainbow Dash is the best suited for you.
“She may be, but every time I read that my stomach gets clenchy.”
It makes you nauseous?
“No, it makes my stomach clenchy.” Pinkie said, her voice sounding as if that explained it all.
Okay then...so you want to choose someone else?
“Yep.”
...
...
...
...
Pinkie?
“Yes very-loud-interrupting-confused-gross-uncomprehending-voice-in-my-head?”
Are you going to choose someone?
“I thought you were going to very-loud-interrupting-totally-confused-gross-uncomprehending-voice-in-my-head. You are the author after all.”
I...but...you...you’re giving me a headache.
“Well then take some medicine and get writing! We still have several more of my friends to get through before the end of this.”
How do you know-don’t ask her, just write the story.

***

Twilight Sparkle gently tipped the contents of the measuring cup into the mixing bowl with her magic. “Okay Pinkie, that’s the flour. Next we should add the vanilla.” She said giving the pink party pony she was helping a smile.

“Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie Pie said as she bounced over with the vanilla in the teaspoon. Somehow the liquid managed to stay in the spoon until she poured it despite Pinkie’s several meter high jumps. Twilight shook her head at the illogic. She knew from experience it was easier not to ask how it was possible.

“We should add the fruits next.” Pinkie said excitedly. She grabbed the bowls of fruit pieces and dumped them into the mixing bowl. “And the white chocolate!” She continued as she grabbed the bowl of chocolate pieces and emptied it on top of the fruits in the mixing bowl.

“I think we should add some water now.” Twilight said as she eyed the mound of ingredients in the bowl. A measuring cup floated off the table and moved across the room to hover under the tap. Twilight magically turned the tap on and filled the cup before floating it back over and pouring the water into the bowl. “Anything else to add Pinkie or do you think this experiment is ready to be mixed, poured and baked?”

“I think this mix is ready to go!” Pinkie Pie said with a bounce. She watched as the pretty purple unicorn grabbed a large spoon with her magic and began to mix the contents of the bowl together. Pinkie was so happy that Twilight had agreed to help her bake these new cupcakes. Twilight hadn’t really wanted to help too much at first, but when Pinkie had mentioned that it would be an experiment to try out some new flavors she’d changed her mind. Twilight was always willing to help with an experiment.

Pinkie was glad her friend had agreed to help. It wasn’t as if Pinkie couldn’t make and bake the cupcakes on her own, she did that every day. No, she just wanted to spend some time with Twilight. She always felt extra happy when Twilight was around her. It was a feeling that she hoped the unicorn felt as well towards her.

“Pinkie,” Twilight said, breaking her train of thought. “I have a question.”

“Yes Twilight?”

“What made you think of adding white chocolate to tropical fruit cupcakes?”

“I’m just following the recipe.”

Twilight’s brows furrowed. “I thought you made this up.”

“I did.”

“Then how are you following a recipe?”

“I’m not.”

“But you just said you were following a recipe.”

“I am.”

Twilight stopped stirring and turned to her smiling companion. “Let’s try this again.”

“Okie dokie.”

“Did you make this up?”

“Yes.”

“And is there a recipe?”

“Yes.”

“Did you make up the recipe?”

“Yes.”

“And are we following this recipe?”

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“Because it wouldn’t be an experiment if we followed the recipe Twilight.”

“But you just made up the recipe.”

“Yep.”

“So shouldn’t we experiment to see if the recipe works?”

“Yep.”

“So why aren’t we?”

“Because it’s not an experiment if we follow the recipe.”

Twilight blinked several times before shaking her head. “Pinkie Pie, your logical illogic astounds and confounds me. You can make even the simplest task a mental challenge. I-”

“That’s not it.” Pinkie Pie interrupted.
What’s not it?
“She’s not the one.”
Really? I thought this was going pretty well.
“Of course you would, it’s your writing. But my stomach still feels clenchy and now my lungs feel empty.”
...
Empty?
“Empty.” Pinkie confirmed. “And you know what that means.”
I have no idea Pinkie.
“Of course you do! You’re the one who wrote it!”
...
Oh look, my headache’s back.
“I told you to take some medicine very-loud-interrupting-totally-confused-gross-uncomprehending-voice-in-my-head.” She said in a scolding voice. “Why didn’t you?”
Pinkie, I’ve been writing the entire time. I didn’t have time to go get some medicine.
“How could I know you’ve been writing the entire time?”
Haven’t you been here the entire time?
“Yes, but I can’t tell if it takes you a second or a year to write what you do. I’m just a figment of someone’s imagination on a piece of paper, aren’t I? Time has no meaning for me.”
I...my headache is getting worse.
“I told you to take some medicine very-loud-interrupting-totally-confused-gross-uncomprehending-stupefied-voice-in-my-head.”
It’ll probably go away if we just stay away from the logistics side of things Pinkie.
“Okie dokie lokie. So who am I going to date next?”
Eager, aren’t we?
“Am I?”
I’d say so.
“Well you’re the one writing this.”
Pinkie, my headache, remember? No logistics.
“You’re the one writing this. If I bring up logistics it’s because you made me.”
I...I...you...I...I’m just going to write the story now.
“Great. Write Fluttershy next!”
Whatever you say Pinkie.
“It’s whatever you say very-loud-interrupting-totally-confused-gross-uncomprehending-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head, remember?” She said with a big smile.
I’m going to ignore you now.

***

The pair of mares watched in fascination as the clouds of multicolored butterflies floated around them. All the colors of the rainbow were represented on the beautiful wings of the gentle creatures. Dozens of the fragile creatures landed on Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy as they watched the first group in the great butterfly migration fly through the forest.

Fluttershy held out her hoof and a small pink butterfly similar to the ones that made up her cutie mark landed on it. Pinkie watched as Fluttershy observed the delicate pink creature with her large teal eyes. She realized just how adept a metaphor butterflies were for Fluttershy. They were both gentle, timid, quiet and beautiful. She-

“That doesn’t sound anything like me!” Pinkie Pie protested.
You didn’t even let me finish.
“I don’t care! If you aren’t going to represent me properly in a shipfic, then you shouldn’t write me in the shipfic.”
But the symbolism is perfect. You have to admit that.
“It may be, but this one made my stomach extra clenchy and my spine crinkly. I’m certain that it’s not Fluttershy.”
Really Pinkie Pie, because I have to say that so far that one sounded the best-
“I’m sure.” Pinkie said in a voice like steel.
Alright then Pinkie, that leaves us with two more candidates.
“Three candidates.”
No, two. Applejack and Rarity.
“Opps, I guess you’re right, silly me.”
Pinkie, do you know something I don’t?
“How could I know something you don’t very-loud-interrupting-totally-confused-gross-uncomprehending-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head if you’re the one write-”
Don’t say it! Don’t say it! I know already!
“Then why do you keep bringing it up silly?” Pinkie Pie asked with a big smile.
Uhh, I need stronger headache medication; these don’t seem to be working at all.
“Well than go out and buy stronger medication. I’ll still be here when you get back to write Rarity’s piece.” Pinkie Pie said matter-of-factly.
I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

***

The large purple balloon and its two occupants moved slowly across the beautiful orange sky as Princess Celestia set the sun. Large fluffy clouds stained orange by the sunlight drifted lazily around it. Behind the balloon the moon slowly rose from behind the other side of the planet.

“Beautiful.” Rarity said breathlessly. Pinkie Pie nodded in agreement with her, but she wasn’t looking at just the sunset. Pinkie was looking at her marefriend against the fiery light of the sunset. It made Rarity’s perfect purple hair all the more striking and her flawless white coat glow with a faint yellow light. Rarity’s deep blue eyes glittered from the setting sun’s beautiful golden light.

Rarity seemed to notice her companion’s stare and blushed slightly. “Something wrong Pinkie Pie?”

Pinkie opened her mouth to respond, but words eluded her. She-

“Hey,” Pinkie Pie butted in, “I never run out of things to say!”
I noticed.
“I demand you change that.”
Alright then, what would you like to say Pinkie Pie?
“Well, I would probably say that she was super duper pretty.”
Super duper pretty...
“Yah.”
...
I think that kind of breaks the mood.
“How would you know, you haven’t even tried it out yet.” Pinkie pointed out. “Give it a try.”
Fine.

***

“You look super duper pretty Rarity.” Pinkie said.

Rarity blushed a deeper shade of red. “That’s really sweet of you to say dear.”

Pinkie’s left ear started to feel nibbly as the two of them stared into each other’s eyes. Rarity leaned forward and-

“See! I told you it would work!” Pinkie Pie interrupted.
So you did. Can I get back to the story now?
“No.”
No?
“No.”
Why not?
“You know,” Pinkie said with a roll of her eyes, “The same excuse as all the times before, my stomach’s feeling clenchy.”
Same excuse?
“Yah, you’ve used it every time to stop writing the story.”
But it’s not me saying-forget it, you’re not dragging me down that twisted road of logic again.
“Ok very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-uncomprehending-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head.”
I guess that just leaves Applejack.
“No silly,” Pinkie said with a smile, “You keep overlooking one pony.”
I do? Let’s see here, I’ve already written about Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy and Rarity and now I’m about to write Applejack’s. That’s all five.
“Don’t worry very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head, you’ll figure it out when it becomes convenient.” Pinkie Pie said reassuringly.
...
This headache’s become a migraine.
“Well you really should be taking some pain medication very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head.”
I am. It’s the strongest non-prescription stuff they have. And I’m not going out to get a prescription just to finish this story. So please don’t say anything that will agitate it.
Pinkie nodded mutely.

***

“It’s mighty kind of you to come help me bake these apple pies Pinkie.” Applejack said to the bouncing pink mare beside her. “I c’n use all the help I c’n get.”

“I’m always willing to help bake!” Pinkie Pie said cheerily. “Especially your family’s famous apple pies.”Pinkie noisily licked her lips. “They’re soooo good!”

“They are really good!”
Shh!

***

Applejack-

“I mean they’re really really good!”
Quiet Pinkie!

***

Applejack-

“They are totally awesome!”
Pinkie! Do you want me to complete this story or not?
“The real question very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-voice-in-my-head, is do you want to complete this story?”
Do...I...of course I do!
“Then why do I keep interrupting?”
I HAVE NO CLUE WHY!
“But you do!” She said accusingly. “Or else I wouldn’t be!”
...
...
...
...
...
“So...did you figure it out yet?”
Figure what out yet!?
“The true story you’ve wanted to write the whole time.”
What true story?
“The one involving me and the sixth character, duh.”
...
Spike?
“No. Think deeper. Six elements of harmony, six friends, five that haven’t worked yet...”
...
Uh oh.
“You figured it out!” Pinkie exclaimed happily. “So, who’s the sixth pony?”
You want to date yourself?!
“BINGO! Right on the nose!” Pinkie cheered. “I mean come on, I’m perfect for me! I both love parties and sweets and baking and Gummy and my friends! You have to admit that I’m a perfect match for myself!”
But...but...but Pinkie...there are several problems with this...
“Like what very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-voice-in-my-head?”
Well, for one, how do you plan on dating yourself if there’s only one of you?
“There were two Twilights at one point. Maybe like that.”
You can’t use time travel to date yourself!
“Well maybe you can’t very-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-my-head, but I exist entirely-”
NO MORE PINKIE LOGIC!
“Alright, sheesh. No need to yell excessively-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-my-head. But there are other ways for me to date myself.”
...
I’m afraid to ask, but how Pinkie?
“Well, Twilight could accidentally clone me or something while trying a new spell. Or maybe an alternate universe me could come to my universe and we fall in love or something along those lines.”
Pinkie, if there was a second you, I’m pretty sure the universe would split apart at the seams.
“Which universe?”
All of them.
“But there’s already a second me and there hasn’t been any catastrophical disasters yet.”
...
Already a second you?
“Hiya!” Pinkie Pie said.
“Hey Pinkie Pie!”
“Hey yourself, oh wait, you did!”
“Good one Pinkie!”
I shouldn’t have asked.
“Do you want to go on a date Pinkie?”
“Of course I would Pinkie, how did you know?”
“Just a lucky guess Pinkie.”
Time to buy prescription pain medication.
“But I bet you can’t guess what we should do first though Pinkie!”
“I bet I can Pinkie!”
“THROW A PARTY!!” They yelled simultaneously.
Oh dear sweet Celestia what have I done...
“You haven’t done anything excessively-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-our-heads -” The one Pinkie started.
“-and yet you’ve done everything excessively-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-our-heads!” The other Pinkie finished. They laughed.
...
I hate Pinkie logic. The answer always seems so obvious, but it never is.
“Then you’ll really hate my next question!” The one Pinkie said.
“Was this story a fanfiction or a fanfaction?” The other Pinkie asked.
...
What?
“Was this story an obviously transparent lie-” The one Pinkie started.
“-or an extremely well-concealed truth?” The other Pinkie finished.
...
Do you know what?
“What?” The Pinkie Pies asked simultaneously.
I’m going to write a shipfic about one of the other five. Writing about you hurts my head too much.
“We were wondering how long it would take you to figure that out.”
“I bet it would take until the end.”
“No, I did silly.”
“No, it was me.”
“No, me.”
“No, me.”
“No, me!”
“No, me!”
“It was ME!”
“No, it was ME!”
PINKIE!
“Yes excessively-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-our-heads?”
You’re the same pony. It doesn’t matter who said it. And if it were my guess, you probably both did.
“Oh yah, that’d make sense.”
About the only thing that’d make sense. Now, before anything else happens I’m going to go.
“Goodbye excessively-loud-interrupting-totally-completely-confused-gross-entirely-uncomprehending-and-stupefied-repetitive-oblivious-killjoy-voice-in-our-heads!” They said simultaneously.
Bye Pinkie Pie...and Pinkie Pie. I hope Twilight never figures out a way to allow others to do this.
“But she already has!”
And I’m gone!