• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,689 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,689

Practice Mode

“Again, one more time.” the figure bearing a mask with multiple eyeholes that glowed blue instructed.

“Argh! I know what’s gonna happen! You’ll just block my attack!” Rainbow Dash fumed, stamping the ground with her hoof.

Amidst Summoner’s Rift, were two practicing champions. One was Rainbow Dash herself, and the other mysterious figure was none other than Jax, The Grandmaster at Arms, and a champion that had quite possibly the highest winning record from the earlier seasons in the past.

“Again, come at me.” Jax angled his ever-so trust weapon, a street lamp down towards the ground. Rainbow Dash exhaled again, unfurled her wings, and charged straight towards Jax.

Suddenly, Rainbow Dash threw out her hoof, and a tiny cloud appeared right above Jax’s head. As Jax began to move backwards, the cloud still followed him above his head. The pegasus tackled into the champion, bringing him to the ground.

Dash suddenly got up on her hind hooves, using her wings to suspend herself momentarily and gave a double round-house kick to Jax, knocking him to the side. As she did so, the cloud started to turn more grey, condensation accelerating inside.

Then, Rainbow Dash took herself on her forward legs, and bucked out with both of her hinds.

However, Jax suddenly brought up his lamp post, and effortlessly deflected the attack, then switched his stance. He suddenly spun in the air, and the lamp post emitted an odd energy that suddenly disoriented Rainbow Dash.

The lamp’s fire suddenly grey enormous inside, and with a single smash, sent Rainbow Dash to the floor.

“Come on, you’re too predictable!” Jax planted the lamppost on the ground.

“Grahh! This is stupid!” Rainbow Dash suddenly turned away, walking off towards her side of the base on Summoner’s Rift.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Jax tilted his masked head.

“Anywhere but here.” the pegasus growled.

Suddenly, Jax leaped down straight in front of Rainbow Dash, “Not until you strike me down.”

“Get out of my way!” Rainbow Dash pushed Jax backwards with her hooves, stumbling the Grandmaster. At this, Jax simply smacked her with the lamp again, sending her backwards and onto her back, pain throbbing on her head.

“Not a chance.” Jax leaped towards Dash again, spinning his lamppost over his head. At this, the pony rolled to the side as the lighting ornament impacted, sending up chunks of dirt and rock from a crater.

Rainbow Dash had already had enough of this champion, and she made it clear. She started to gallop after him, then extended her wings, barreling straight towards him.

Another cloud appeared above Jax’s head, and the Grandmaster then brought up his lamppost defensively.

“Is that all you got?!” Jax waited for Rainbow Dash to make the first attack, and she did.

The pony gave another kick to Jax, knocking him back from the force a bit and causing the cloud to become darker. Then, the second attack came, and Jax was ready to deflect it.

This time, Rainbow Dash feigned the attack, and brought herself around Jax.

“What?!” Jax parried thin air, and Rainbow Dash delivered a powerful kick from Jax’s side. The cloud suddenly blasted down a bolt of lightning, blinding Jax and paralyzing him completely.

Rainbow Dash unfurled her wings again, and took to the skies, and immediately barreled straight down. Jax recovered too late to see what would happen next.

A massive ring of the visible light spectrum crackled in the air, expanding throughout the sky of Summoner’s Rift. A blur of rainbows smashed down onto Jax, expanding into a mushroom cloud of Rainbow Dash’s mane colors. Getting thrown into the air and experiencing massive burns from the explosion, Jax hit the ground and rolled, barely getting enough strength to bring himself back up.

Jax used his own weapon as support as he watched Rainbow Dash as the dust settled, panting deeply.

“You… still forget one thing, Dash.” Jax breathed painfully.

Rainbow Dash grit her teeth and started to approach the Grandmaster, “Yeah, and I don’t care. You’re outta options, ‘lampy’.”

“You always watch out for ganks.” Jax watched as Rengar bursted out of a bush and tackled down Rainbow Dash, pinning her to the ground. The pony opened her eyes again to find herself staring down the blades of Rengar’s wrist weapons at her throat.

Rengar retracted the blades, and helped Rainbow Dash back up.

“Good work, Rainbow Dash.” Rengar nodded.

“For the love of Celestia, you just jumped me when I wasn’t looking! I would have had him!” Rainbow Dash outraged in protest.

“Yes, I did. But managing to hold your own against Jax of all champions is a remarkable feat. You have to look at how your enemy is acting. Beware when they suddenly go in when they appear to be at a disadvantage. Someone else might be waiting to join in the fight.” Rengar instructed.

“Whatever. I would have had Jax had it not been for you.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, but couldn’t help but give a tiny smile.

“Nah. I was holding back a thousand times what I’m capable of.” Jax laughed.

Then, three other familiar faces started to walk up towards Top Lane where Dash and Jax had been practicing. Shining Armor, all dressed in his battle gear and brandishing his weapons smiled and greeted the three other champions. Kindred, composed of Lamb and Wolf also joined the party.

“Hey everypony, uh, champions. How’s training going?” Shining Armor asked.

“Dash is still having to learn a bit more of the ropes, but she’ll be a force that even Noxus will have to reckon.” Jax nodded back to the pony.

“We and Shining Armor have been practicing down in Bottom Lane as the team’s marksman and support duo. The pony is certainly getting the hang of things, as are we.” Lamb cooed in her signature soft voice.

Just think of all of the things I can chase here!” Wolf snarled happily as he flew around Lamb’s body.

Then, Jax looked back towards the base.

“Well, looks like the last member of your team will be arriving. I’ll be punching out for now.” Jax bowed to each of the Equestrian champions, “Good luck.”

Jax suddenly disappeared from the Rift.

A summoner has disconnected.

Then, the four champions already at top lane were notified of the remaining champion’s connection to Summoner’s Rift, their Midlaner.

“Alright, let’s get back to base.” Rengar started to walk down Top Lane, passing the gigantic towers that sat guarding the lanes.

“I wonder who our Midlaner is.” Shining Armor wondered out loud, “Hopefully someone like that Lux woman we met before. She seemed pretty nice.”

Rengar chuckled, “A preferable choice.”

When the champions arrived back at the fountain of the base, their Midlaner turned out to be far from human.

A gigantic purple eye stared down at them all, three smaller eyes resting in a crest on the champion’s form, with three tentacles crackling in plasma energy waving about in a snake-like fashion.

The eye narrowed itself.

“The light here is harsh. I do miss the Void.” Vel’koz shielded his eyes with a tentacle.

At once, Rengar growled at the champion, “Vel’koz?! I don’t know what the Summoners were thinking, but I can tell you one thing: you are far from welcome among the Equestrians.”

Vel’koz chuckled in a deep and resonating voice, “I find incredibly high levels of stress building up within you, Lion. I have yet to experience such a phenomenon of biology.”

“You’re a voidling! Why are you on our team?!” Shining Armor took his sword out.

“I am on your team because the Summoners have instructed me to become a mercenary champion for your match against Noxus. Though I do not agree with the percentages I have calculated of this team functioning as a… cohesive unit, I am one of your best bets to fill your roster. Momentarily.” Vel’koz flicked through a few holographs, ignoring the champions staring back at him.

“Yeah? And what’s gonna stop me from doing to you what I should have done to that bug Kha’zix?” Rainbow Dash took a step forward.

“I was not involved with whatever Kha’zix was doing on your world. If I was, I would have gone there myself. It’s simple critical thinking, something that I do hope your species doesn’t lack.” Vel stared back at Rainbow Dash, “But for now, if you want to win against Noxus, then you, along with everyone else here must function as a team.”

Wolf snarled, “I hope I see you on the opposite team one game. I’ll enjoy running you down…

Vel’koz turned his eyes, “I’m very sure you would. Barbarism has no cure.”

Author's Note:

Just a little something to prepare you all for quite possibly the biggest and baddest chapter that is to come. It may not come for a while, but I assure you all, it will be worth it.

Stay tuned for the game.

Also, ignore the centered paragraph formatting. Google Docs isn't cooperating with me very well.

-ShadowFall