• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,683 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,683

Critical Strike

Truly, it was an ugly sight to all of those who laid their eyes upon it.

Bodies of citizens and rapid-response guards that were sent form Canterlot littered the streets of the town that hardly knew of grief and death. Almost none of the corpses themselves were in one piece. Most had a limb, several, or even their lower half missing altogether. Burn marks in the shapes of slashes scoured buildings, leaking the ominous purple energy that composed the blade that created those marks.

Shining Armor had never seen anything like this before. He was a soldier. He had to kill before. But this...

It wasn't a battle. It was a massacre. He felt absolutely sick to his stomach. The Elements of Harmony tried their best to stay in Ponyville to help survey the damage and create a plan, but they either couldn't bear to look, broke down in tears, or simply refused to see more death compared to these past few weeks.

"Now you know what a League of Legends Champion is capable of."

Rengar spoke to Shining as he looked around at the mess of bodies.

"It will only get worse if we don't act soon.", Rengar glanced at the pony captain, who was still at a loss for words. Turning to Lamb and Wolf, who were bent down over a much younger pony, Rengar began to speak up again.

"How many do you think have perished?", Rengar asked.

"Well over a hundred.", Lamb echoed.

"It wasn't their time. They had no choice.", Wolf growled.

"Well, then we won't give Kha'zix a choice either. We will hunt that cowardly bastard down and rip him to shreds for what he has done.", Shining Armor felt the hilt of his sword at his side, gritting his teeth and looking at the other three.

"We can't get ahead of ourselves like that. Kha'zix may be a coward, but he's intelligent. If we attempt to follow him out of rage, then he'll seize to opportunity to end us, one by one, or he'll simply do the exact same thing that has happened here in Ponyville, but somewhere else. And far worse.", Rengar explained, "We've formulated a plan already, but we need to refine it."

Shining Armor gazed back up at Rengar. The lion himself said that this slaughter is what a League of Legends Champion was capable of; something that no pony could ever attempt to do alone. Rengar was in the League of Legends, so if he was going to listen to somepony's advice, it would be Rengar's. After all, his plans had saved both Ponyville and the Everfree from destruction or exploitation.

"Alright.", the captain nodded.

"Good. Gather the Elements of Harmony together. We'll discuss our plan. Captain, I need your guards stationed at any sort of highly populated area. Tell them to kill that bug on sight and alert all other forces should he appear.", Rengar instructed.

As Rengar, Kindred, and Shining Armor headed off to gather the Elements, Rengar eyed his Bonetooth Necklace.

He wanted his prize, but for once in his life, there was something greater at stake than a trophy.

His new home, and the potential destruction of it, his allies, and himself.


"Do we really need much of a plan to catch this bug? I mean, we kinda beat that gigantic hydra by ourselves, and you guys stopped some wacko guardspony by yourselves too. Can't we just jump him at once and be done with it?", Rainbow Dash looked at everypony else, gauging their reactions.

"Hold on there, Sugarcube. If Rengar's gotta plan, we better follow it through. It's the only reason we were able to beat that huge monster in the first place.", Applejack replied.

"Rainbow Dash does bring up a fair point by overwhelming him, but Kha'zix can easily detect a mass attack heading his way very easily. We need to ambush him. Or rather... give him a taste of his own medicine.", Rengar nodded.

All this while, Fluttershy still found herself out of place during this whole discussion. Sure, she managed to kill one of the hydra's heads during that terrifying battle, but when she thought back on it, it had to have just been a fluke, with the hydra accidentally impaling one of its tongues on the poisoned spear. Plus... whatever killed Zecora, or whatever had caused this giant slaying in Ponyville was one of the things that Fluttershy never wanted to meet in her life, let alone attempt to fight.

However, Rengar called for the Element's help, and as such, Fluttershy had to be strong and stick with her friends. She helped defeat that monstrous beast, and her friends now knew how capable she was. Considering her friends, they probably have always believed she was capable of such bravery.

"There is... something that you all should know.", Rengar had a look on his face as if he had just pulled a sinister memory from his head, "If Kha'zix manages to kill me, then he can instantly fully evolve to take over this world."

The ponies' eyes grew as wide as dinner plates at this statement.

"WHAT?!", they all shouted at once.

"I'm afraid so. You see, Kha'zix is the ultimate predatory creation, being able to continuously evolve and change from what he kills. Because I've hunted nearly every single beast back on Runeterra and here, that makes me the prime candidate to let him reach his maximum power should I die."

"Then our biggest priority is to keep you out of Kha'zix's sight and make sure he doesn't find you!", Twilight threw up her suggestion.

"I agree with Twilight. Who knows what disaster would happen if that horrid creature should instantly grow more powerful if our friend here were to... perish.", Rarity nodded and said the last word of her sentence with a shiver.

"But you all don't know how to fight Kha'zix should you be unable to contain him. Not even me and Wolf know how to combat something like this.", Lamb echoed through the map room.

"Even Kha'zix is something that I would hesitate to run down...", Wolf snorted.

At this point, the meeting stopped at a stalemate. That was, until Shining Armor spoke up.

"No. Rengar must draw Kha'zix out so that the Elements of Harmony can trap him. It's the only sure-fire way that we can lure him out."

Rengar nodded.

"Unfortunately, that may be the only way we can go about this..."

"No! Rengar is too important of a factor to risk loosing! We have to-"

Then, Shining Armor slammed his hoof on the map.

"We don't have time! The more we stay in here arguing, the more that damned monster grows in strength! My guards can do nothing to Kha'zix! He's already too strong for us, but maybe not strong enough for Rengar!", Shining Armor shouted across the chamber, "Twilight... we have to act now. I don't want to see anything harm you. Especially not this murderer."

Twilight's eyes slowly drew moisture, of which that same moisture slipped into tears. She sobbed as the princess drew closer to her brother and rested her head in his chest. The rest of the table watched around as Twilight sobbed into her brother.

Rengar shook his head at the ground. So much heartache, something he's never felt before, could come from these creatures. He wanted to not only claim Kha'zix's head as the final prize for his mantelpiece, but he wanted to make things right.

Then, Twilight, after recovering looked back at Rengar.

"Me and my friends will follow your directions.", she responded.

Rengar nodded.

"What of the Princesses?", Rengar asked.

"They have been evacuated away from Kha'zix's supposed hunting grounds. They've managed to reopen communication with the Summoners to alert them of the crisis that is happening. Unfortunately, at the rate of the responses, we have to act now, or it will be far too late.", Shining Armor brandished his sword.

"Then we hunt.", Rengar lead the others out with him.


The gigantic winged lizard shot a massive inferno at the far smaller purple creature attempting to fight it. A roar that could be heard across the mountain range overlooking the Everfree Forest was bellowed as the fireball missed completely, scorching the ground at impact.

Kha'zix smiled a twisted grin at the dragon as he loaded his biospikes into his shoulder-grown spike rack and aimed his body at the dragon. With a quick motion, the voidling fired his spikes at the dragon, impacting along its soft underbelly in a neat row heading up. Roaring in pain, the dragon attempted to claw at its adversary.

A horrible mistake.

Kha'zix simply ducked and held his claw up, allowing the dragon to completely sever its hand from its wrist as it passed through the energy-infused blade. Enraged, the dragon attempted to fire off another orb of flames at the opponent, but was simply dismissed as Kha'zix bounded away onto the wall. Catapulting off the wall again, Kha'zix let loose another barrage of spikes at the dragon's face, this time several of them impacting straight into the dragon's left eye. Stunned, the dragon couldn't see the purple energy blade drawing closer near his snout.

A single slash sent the dragon down on its back. The nightmarish insectoid climbed up on the beast's belly, giving its twisted grin to the dragon's only functioning eye.

"So big... yet so scared."

Kha'zix cackled as he ran is claw along the dragon's underbelly, drawing blood and causing the dragon to struggle against the pain that was coursing through its nerves.

Then, Kha'zix stopped above a section on its chest that was moving and thumping instead of simply rising up and down from the rest of its body.

The dragon knew that Kha'zix had found his heart, and with one swift motion, Kha'zix jabbed down, melting any bodily mass that it came in contact with. With a twitch, the dragon had died, his heart now destroyed.

Kha'zix withdrew his bladed arm and stood over his big kill. He could feel the energy reserves building up inside of him after slaying this dragon. There was so much magic in this world, that he couldn't comprehend why Vel'koz sent him instead of himself, but it was no matter. He was changing and evolving far faster than what he could ever have imagined on Runeterra.

After killing the winged beast, he got down on his knees, and with a few seconds of staying in that position, his shell began to part, revealing a pair of green wings that were covered in slime. A quick beating of the new appendages got rid of the heavy substance.

It always felt so liberating to get his wings back.

The more he killed, the more he could see into the ecosystem of this planet. The magical mutation was astronomical. Kha'zix's exoskeleton shivered from the sheer power that was being let into him. Licking his jaw, he felt even hungrier.

"My hunger is unsated. This world is so... delicious...", the gigantic bug cackled as he stepped out of the dragon's lair, looking over the trail of destruction he had left in his wake.

Trees had been felled and were burning from slashes from his scythes. Dead creatures, small and large were scattered as far as the eye could see with their blood smeared all over the Voidreaver. He loved this hunger that trembled within him. He wished it could never be satisfied, purely so he could consume, kill, and evolve.

Then, he stopped his movement.

As he killed and consumed, he felt the presence of the magic of this world.

But something had been trying to hunt them before.

He could remember. Back on Runeterra.

A young hunter.

And a rising predator.

There was no mistaking it. He was here. The one creature that Kha'zix had not yet consumed. The creature that had slain so many monsters that he himself could be the key to unlocking the barriers to Kha'zix's evolution.

Rengar was here.

Kha'zix had waited what seemed to be an eternity to him for this moment. Only within the League of Legends could they face each other, and that was through power restrictions and revival upon death.

Here, the Summoners could not, and would not interfere.

Kha'zix knew that Rengar most likely knew of his whereabouts by now. He was no fool, even in Kha'zix's eyes. However, the voidling knew that he himself would never associate himself with the creatures of this pathetic world.

Or so that he thought.

Nevertheless, his wings spread, and with a massive leap, he soared down to the forest, claws extended, spikes ready, and his exoskeleton gaining a new shimmer.

Kha'zix cackled as he followed the overwhelming scent of Rengar.

"Rengar... you are a meal that I have waited for a very..."

Kha'zix's green eyes glinted as he instantly snapped into invisibility.

"...very..."

His spikes and claws whistled as they sliced apart the air as the Voidreaver homed into his target.

"...long..."

A smiled grew on his jaws.

"...time."


The area was set. In the dense forest of the Everfree stood Rengar, Hunting Knife in paw. His eye scanned around while his ears and nose scanned the woodlands around him.

He could smell the wretched creature. Once he had picked up the scent from a long time ago, there was no mistaking it for another. Just the stench of the xenos blood was the most distinguishable signature that one could ever cipher from the air. The Elements of Harmony and Shining Armor had been coated in a masking solution that Rengar kept back at his cave for when he went hunting.

Now, the overwhelming scent of Rengar should easily overpower the one's of the ponies. He took a glance back towards Fluttershy.

She really had grown in these past few weeks, hadn't she. All of this had happened so fast. His bonding with the natives of this world, and the disasters that they had to protect against. It was all so much for any pony to take in. But he had expected her to crumble like paper under the pressure.

She had proved him wrong. She stood tall, her eyes narrowed, watching the wilderness with her camouflage applied. She nodded at Rengar, a twinge of nervousness in her throat. However, Rengar sensed that it was instead a pulse of determination.

Twilight gave a nod to Rengar, as did Shining Armor who was standing behind her.

"You doing okay Twily?", her brother whispered.

"Yeah. Just watch the area.", Twilight smiled reassuringly at her brother.

Lamb and Wolf stood at the ready, with Lamb and her bow drawn, aiming around. Wolf lay next to her, sniffing the air and making sure to watch from above.

Then, Wolf spoke to Lamb.

"Lamb... I am afraid."

She looked back.

"Do you want me to tell you a story, Wolf?"

He shook his head.

"No. Not this time. I shall tell you a story.", Wolf echoed into Lamb's mind.

"Tell me, dear Wolf."

Rengar's eye still examined the forest around him.

"There was once a young boy. He was brave."

"How brave?"

"The bravest of them all. He wanted to show his bravery. So he hunted."

"What did he hunt?"

Rengar could hear the echo in his mind. Then, he stared straight ahead. This sounded like...

"He hunted beasts. Creatures of destruction."

"Like us?"

"No. We bring balance, little Lamb. But one day, he encountered evil in its purest form. He was a brave little boy, and charged at it."

"Did he die?"

"Almost. He barely escaped. But deep down, even though this boy never realized it, he was no longer a hunter of beasts, but a hunter of evil. He would still hunt beasts, until he would change."

"All things change, dear Wolf.", Lamb glanced down at Rengar.

"But not often do they change for the better...", Wolf looked down with her.

Rengar heard everything.

He had changed.

But was it to believed that he had changed for the better?

The grip in his knife tightened as he took in a deep breath.

Yes. He had.

Immediately afterwards, Rengar leaped backwards, narrowly avoiding a volley of bio-organic spikes from impaling within him. The ponies ducked down into cover, Fluttershy watching the scenery in front. The spikes stayed in the ground, emanating a thick aura of void energy within.

He is here.

Rengar looked around, then shouted out.

"I can smell you, beast! Come out and fight me!"

The forest remained silent.

"I know you have been waiting for this for a long time, Kha'zix! I am your key! Fight me for it!", Rengar roared.

Then, from the shadows of the Everfree, he emerged.

A cloudy sky had fallen over the Everfree Forest. It became more dim as the humidity in the air increased. However, through the dimness that the clouds had now brought, came the most horrifying thing that the ponies had ever seen in their life. The two scythes made of energy crackled menacingly, blood dripped from the body of the monster, and its wings buzzed once then stopped.

"Rengar...", Kha'zix smiled deviously.

"Kha'zix...", Rengar held his knife up.

"It has been so long since you have been my prey, lion. The League of Legends has grown stale for me ever since you had left.", the insectoid started.

"Why is that? Because you missed me so?"

"Ah-hahahaha! Because I would never have the satisfaction of killing you again!", Kha'zix spread his wings and his scythes, "Until now..."

Rengar grunted and pointed his knife towards him.

"Likewise-"

"GRAHHH!"

Kha'zix leaped at Rengar with his scythes ready to eviscerate the lion. The air whistled as it was literally sliced apart by the alien energy emanating from his arms. Rengar stood his ground with his knife in his paw, watching Kha'zix rapidly close the gap in between them.

Then, he was in position.

"Now! Trap him!"

Once one pony moved from the brush, Kha'zix realized far too late that Rengar was not alone. Seven ponies erupted from the brushes, each of them surging with a magical energy unrivaled to anything Kha'zix had encountered before. With a blinding glow, the ponies transformed.

Their manes grew in both length, and color as pure arcane energy swirled around them into what Kha'zix's multi-photo receptive eyes could make out was a rainbow. The beam of light swirled up, then came crashing back down onto the predator, causing his vision to become overloaded from the flood of colors that was blasted at him. His movement mid air stopped all of a sudden as he found himself suspended in the air, unable to move.

"Grah! What is this?!", Kha'zix shouted as he struggled in the air. Soon, the blinding lights stopped as the voidling now found himself in what appeared to be a multicolored force-field, being amplified by the white male unicorn in armor. Turning to his left, he could see what appeared to be two figures, one humanoid with a bow and arrow, and a shadow that resembled a wolf staring him down.

The creature looked around. He was completely trapped inside.

Rengar turned back.

"Good work, Elements. Shining Armor, how long can you contain that shield?", Rengar asked.

"The entire Changling Hives couldn't penetrate a shield that was far larger than this. Take all the time you need, Rengar.", Shining Armor affirmed.

Kha'zix now attempted to slash and dice at the barrier in front of him, but to no avail as the energy simply reflected his attacks. Not even the void energy could leave a scratch on the bubble of magic. Firing a volley of spikes, they simply disintegrated from the velocity.

Then, Rengar walked over to Kha'zix, knife in hand.

"How does it feel to be a caged animal, Kha'zix? It must feel so... restricting.", Rengar stopped in front of the barrier.

Kha'zix laughed.

"You call me a coward, Rengar. So why is it that you rely on this weak and pathetic species to do your work for you? I know how much you want my head, but does a hunter truly gain a trophy if the catch is set up by others for him?", Kha'zix taunted Rengar, "Look at yourself, lion. Oh how the mightiest hunter in all of Valoran has fallen to a caretaker of these... ponies..."

Rengar then punched the sphere, sending painful echoes inside that scrambled Kha'zix's antennae.

"Do you really think this is about me taking your head anymore? You are a murderer, and a threat to worlds. You must be stopped, and right now, we have just done that.", Rengar countered back.

Kha'zix laughed again.

"Keep believing that, Rengar. Keep believing that."

Kha'zix then sat down and stared at Rengar with a smile. What he had said to the lion stuck a spear in his gut. All of a sudden, Rengar gained a twinge of dissatisfaction and doubt.

He was a hunter. He wanted that head. But now, he felt that he was no longer the proud hunter that he once proclaimed, and proved to others that he was anymore. Kha'zix was the one prize he could never achieve. Yet here he was, right in front of him, restrained.

He looked back at Shining Armor, who was still maintaining the shield while talking to his sister.

Rengar looked back at Kha'zix, then shook his head.

"Sometimes, the prize is never worth what you must go through to get it."

Kha'zix scowled. That had to make him feel insignificant.

"Oh yeah! That outta feel bad, huh you little grasshopper?!", Rainbow Dash flew right in front of the shield and laughed at the trapped voidling, "Maybe we'll dunk you into a little bit of pesticide to see what happens with you after all that you've done!"

Kha'zix's scowl grew even deeper as he suddenly lashed out with his jaws and attempted to bite through the shield, but once again, he was stopped by the energy.

Then, Rarity walked over.

"Ms. Rainbow, I really don't think angering him would be the best of ideas. We need to make sure he doesn't escape to that the Princesses and those Summoners can handle him.", Rarity talked to Rainbow Dash, who was having the time of her life taunting this killer.

Then, Lamb and Wolf spoke up.

"Me and Wolf must go. There are ponies that have to be given a push into their afterlife sooner than nature will give them. It sadly was not their time.", Lamb echoed.

"No. When the Summoners come, they can help revive those ponies that Kha'zix has slain.", Rengar shook his head.

At this point, Kha'zix had stopped resisting and simply crouched down, staring at those who were in front of him. He could see the pink and orange pony talking with the purple mare and the white stallion, while the white mare was trying to stop the blue and rainbow maned one from taunting him. However, he could notice a single pony away from the others. A yellow pony with a pink mane, staying away from the rest and nervously eyeing Kha'zix. He knew how fearful she was of him. Her fear was so strong that he could feel it.

Kha'zix stayed inside the sphere, not moving for quite some time.

Shining Armor was keeping up the shield quite easily, as time seemed to pass. He felt a little drizzle begin to hit his fur as the clouds that formed above grew darker and darker, due to the abnormal weather patterns of the Everfree Forest.

He looked back at Kha'zix, who had stopped trying to resist.

However, he had been still for quite some while.

"Rengar?"

"What is it?"

"I think Kha'zix has stopped moving. He's been awfully silent for quite some time."

Rengar then approached Kha'zix and nudged aside Rainbow Dash, who was still taunting him. The insect simply sat there, staring into Rengar's eye.

"Is something wrong?", Twilight stepped away from her brother to approach the two.

Then, Rengar realized too late what was happening.

"No... Get back! He's evolving-!", Rengar's sentence was cut off as Kha'zix's scythes suddenly doubled in length and size, firing off zaps of void energy all around him.

With a grunt, Kha'zix now attempted to batter his way out of the shield. The forcefield that was supposedly strong enough to stop an entire Changling hive was suddenly cracked when Kha'zix slashed at it. An unnatural shock of pain coursed into Shining Armor as the shield was weakened. Another slash added another set of cracks. The ponies began to back away from the creature that was about to escape.

Lamb strung her bow and arrow while Wolf lingered in the air, ready to deal with Kha'zix.

"Stand back! Stand back!"

Then, Kha'zix broke free. Using both claws, he slashed at the shield which caused an explosion of void energy. The force of the shield breaking fazed the ponies and kicked up a massive swath of dust. Within an instant, Kha'zix had disappeared from sight, invisable.

"No! He's loose!", Twilight gasped.

"Stick together! He'll-"

Kha'zix uncloaked right above Applejack, who only could see the shadow looming behind her.

"Applejack! He's right behind you!"

Pinkie Pie's words came far too late as Kha'zix plunged both of his blades down into the pony, disintegrating her back and her spine all at once.

"APPLEJACK!", Rainbow Dash suddenly charged straight for Kha'zix, tears in her eyes after her friend had fallen.

"Don't!", Rengar shouted. At this point, Lamb fired an arrow from her bow just as Kha'zix let loose a set of spikes from his rack. The arrow struck Kha'zix in his chest, unfortunately, in no vital organs.

Rainbow Dash wasn't so lucky. The spikes bore right through her smaller body and she dropped to the ground like a rock.

Kha'zix vanished again.

The ponies stood horrified at what had transpired. It all happened so fast. Not even Lamb had enough time to react with her respite.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash had died.

"Yes... I can taste your fear... soon you will all fall just like your friends, and I shall savor every moment of it!"

Kha'zix's voice echoed again in the forest as instantly afterwards, Rarity gasped as she fell forwards, spikes embedded all over her back.

"No! Come out and fight you coward! I am the one you want! I am the one-"

Rengar turned to see Kha'zix, once again in view, but this time with Twilight and Pinkie Pie impaled on both of his scythes, holding their bodies up in the air. He didn't even hear them die...

Shining Armor screamed with rage as he blasted a pulse of magic towards Kha'zix, only to have him disappear from view again.

"You bastard! You fucking bastard! I will have your head for what you've done to all of these ponies!"

Shining Armor drew his crossbow from his back and aimed into the forest.

"Where are you?!"

Then, Shining Armor ran into the forest.

"No! Stay together! SHINING ARMOR-!"

As soon as he was gone out of sight, Kha'zix's figure trampled down on his. A scythe raised into the air, he brought it down on the pony. His screams were soon silenced from a twist of the blade.

"After Kha'zix! Stick together, Kindred!"

"Right!"

"His time or not, it has come!"

The three headed off into the forest trying to find the creature before it could kill any more than what has happened right now.


Fluttershy had passed out.

It looked like she had already been killed.

Now, she wish she had. At least she would be with her friends right now.

Looking around, nothing could compare to the pain of all of the familiar ponies that were laying in front of her. None of them were moving.

She got up and slowly trudged over towards the bodies. She only had to rest her eyes on a single body for her to break down and cry like she had never done before in her life.

She hardly knew of death in her life. Her animals passing of old age was nothing compared to this. She felt alone. She felt broken.

She felt that she could have done something. Maybe threw herself at Kha'zix so that she would die instead of one of her friends. Maybe Rengar could have avenged them all.

But she stood back, watching the carnage. Every single death could replay vividly in her mind.

After all that she had been through with them, it was if somepony had taken a match and burned the photo album in her head.

Then, a shadow loomed over her.

She slowly turned around.

Fluttershy was face to face with Kha'zix, his needle sharp teeth stretched into a grin, both scythes making their way towards Fluttershy's neck.

"Tell me, little pony. Do you know fear like that I inflict? How does it feel to see all of your friends become butcher while you stood back, helpless? How does that make you feel, Fluttershy?"

Her name was said with a scratchy laugh from Kha'zix.

She could only stare back up at the monster who's blades were surrounding her.

"It must be a shame. They left you here. All alone to die...", Kha'zix began to walk around her.

"Th-they thought I was dead.", Fluttershy tried to reply from her frivolous shaking.

"What difference does that make it to them? They don't care about you and the rest of your friends. All they want is my head.", Kha'zix spoke into Fluttershy's ear. She was shaking with absolute fear from this alien.

Then, the flat of Kha'zix's arm-scythe tilted Fluttershy's head up. The energy singed her skin, causing her to squirm and yelp in pain as her head was brought up, exposing her neck.

Then, Kha'zix laughed.

"Hmm... if I eat you... will I learn how to die?!"

Kha'zix then cackled again and kicked Fluttershy down with his leg.

"Then again... who wants to learn something like that? You would understand."

Kha'zix vanished from view, leaving Fluttershy all alone, once again with the bodies of those that she wished would never die.

Author's Note:

So, who wants Kha'zix to die?