• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,686 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,686

Tracking

It has now been an entire day since Fluttershy had told her friends that she would describe what her "savior" was, but she asked to talk to her friends exclusively inside Twilight's castle. The only reason she gave was that she felt more secure inside the walls of the crystal structure. Of course, Twilight agreed, but it already raised a few suspicions.

A few suspicions she was discussing with Rarity when she agreed to help organize her boutique after her sister had tried to make her own line of dresses.

It didn't pan out so well, and the result was a complete clutter of nothing but a mess of cloth, glue, jewels that was now plastered all over the walls and floor. When Twilight had stopped by to see if Rarity had finished the book, "Ancient Apparel", she couldn't help but help her friend with her current dilemma.

"So, Rarity. You know how oddly Fluttershy has been acting, right?"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure she's still a bit shaken about, you know...having her life saved by some mystery stallion.", Rarity gave a little smile to herself.

"Or a mare.", Twilight giggled and rolled her eyes.

"Right. Of course. But still...the mystery of her savior gives me goosebumps. And it makes it all the more exiting about how they'll be revealed! I'm telling you Twilight, once that pony is found, I'll make sure to give him...or her the greatest thanks a pony could ever receive. I know! I'll design an entire line on-"

"But that's just it. Fluttershy was extremely shy about telling us who helped her. Well, more even more shy than usual. And when she was going to reveal who saved her, she said it like she was getting a burden off of her shoulders.", Twilight's magical aura surrounded a pile of scrap cloth and levitated them towards a bin, "Maybe the pony told Fluttershy not to reveal their identity."

"Oh my! A mystery vigilante? This is sounding more and more like a mystery novel by the second!", Rarity gasped dramtically.

Twilight this time rolled her eyes without giggling, but remembered something.

"I don't know. Remember that white batch of fur we found? You said it yourself that it couldn't have come from a pony. Its texture doesn't match a pony's mane.", Twilight inferred.

"Oh, that? Well I would think that it came from one of Fluttershy's many animal friends. Maybe it was dropped off of one when one of them ran away from the cragadile."

"But Fluttershy doesn't have any white animals with fur that long. Sure, she has bunnies, but their fur is extremely short compared to it. And you said that the smell came from something more of a...beast."

Rarity looked upwards, then back down.

"Well, I still doubt that Fluttershy's savior was a giant white animal. After all...all of that..."

"Yeah, the blood. And the bola.", Twilight had stopped putting away the mess a tiny bit ago and has now put herself in a deep state of thought, "A bola is extremely crude compared to what kind of magic unicorns have, and the wound that the cragadile had to have been made by a sharp object. Mostly likely a sword, so I think a unicorn is a bit less up there to have saved Fluttershy..."

"Well, what about an Earth pony or a pegasus?"

"I don't think it was a pegasus. The cragadile was flipped over. Unless the cragadile flipped itself over to meet its end, I don't think a pegasus would have the strength to lift such a hulking creature. Unless they were Rainbow Dash, but we know she couldn't have saved Fluttershy. We...got into a debate over Daring Do at about the same time that the guards said that the attack took place."

"So, that would leave..."

"Yeah, an Earth pony."

The two nodded at each other.

"I think I'm already getting to know who saved Fluttershy without being near them.", Twilight smiled as she looked at the clock, "Alright, I think we should get going to go back to my castle. Fluttershy for some reason gave a time to meet together..."

With the oddity that this whole situation was coming to, the alicorn and the unicorn exited the boutique.


"Come in Fluttershy!"

Twilight un-hinged the door to swing open for her friend at the base of her castle. After the giant crystalline doors parted fully, Fluttershy slowly stepped into the confinements of the castle. After smiling and thanking her friend, the two stepped down the narrowing hallways, traveling deeper and deeper into the castle.

"So...uh...", Twilight started, unsure of how to advance the conversation to the topic she wished would arise, "How have you been after that whole ordeal?"

"Oh, I've been just fine. And I'm so thankful that the animals are doing just so as well.", the pegasus smiled back, a little bit of uneasiness in her grin.

After walking through the hallways, the two reached the castle's counsel chamber, a giant room containing crystal thrones for each of the Elements of Harmony, including Twilight's young dragon assistant, Spike.

However, the castle was completely vacant as Spike was sent off to do some errands beforehoof when Twilight and Fluttershy were to discuss what had happened. The two ponies took a seat on their respective thrones. Realizing that the thrones were too far spaced apart, the two just opted to sit on the floor of the chamber.

"So...Fluttershy. Before we talk about what happened and who saved you, why did you ask to only speak in my castle? I mean-"

"I'm so, so sorry Twilight. I didn't want to seem rude or make anything inconvenient. It's just...why don't I start by telling you what saved me.", Fluttershy looked up straight into her eyes.

"Uh...okay then. Jeez, the more you talk like this the more I feed concerned over who saved you- wait. What? Not Who?", Twilight's eyebrow rose.

"Y-Yes Twilight. I was saved by...a hunter.

"A hunter.",Twilight repeated, "You mean a griffon hunter? The ones that catch fish and occasionally other animals?"

"N-No. It was a lion. A giant, white, and scary lion hunter. One that rushed at the cragadile with a giant blade and gutted it...", Fluttershy felt shivers run down her neck as she remembered the bloodbath in fair detail.

"A...lion? But...they're only animals. None could possess the kind of intelligence to wield weapons, like a blade that you said it had. Or... a bola. Wow.", Twilight stopped talking for a second, amazed at what descriptions were unfolding before her mind.

"But...this lion had a terrible trait where he enjoyed fighting the cragadile. Later, I had found that he didn't even come to save me. He was just here to mount the cragadile's head in his den...", Fluttershy grit her teeth, "And I was the one who let him kill the cragadile. Without me telling him how to gut the animal, then the cragadile would have run amok, maybe hurting others. Or worse..."

Twilight bit her lower lip and put her hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder.

"I could only imagine how that must have felt Fluttershy. But...if that cragadile would just pop out of the Everfree and attack you on sight, then maybe it would have been for the best that the cragadile doesn't...you know.", Twilight felt that she was choking on every single word she spoke to her friend.

"But that's not all I had to endure with this lion. After he defeated the monster, he...attacked me."

"Wait, what? Why?", Twilight looked at Fluttershy's splint more closely, "Did that lion do this to you?!"

"N-No. Quite the opposite. I...uhhh! Now it just seems like I'm going in opposite directions of what I'm trying to say..."

"How about you just tell me what happened after the lion attacked you."

Fluttershy looked up and nodded.

"Okay. The lion threw one of his bolas at me, then took me to his den, but not after I passed out on the way there.", Fluttershy began.

"He took you to his house?", Twilight asked.

"Yes, he did.", Fluttershy nodded, "But that's where he must have bandaged my wing after the cragadile had injured it."

Twilight examined Fluttershy's wing one more time. From its compositions of leaves, twigs, and from the smell of herbal medication resting inside the cast, it defiantly could not have come from the small Ponyville hospital. It had to have been made in the Everfree Forest.

"Are you sure it was this lion who fixed you up? From what I know, it seems that he would want to hurt you more than help you.", Twilight looked up in deep thought, "Perhaps he doesn't want to be discovered if he really is hunting in the Everfree."

Fluttershy looked back at Twilight.

"Yes, he did say something along the lines of that he didn't want to be discovered. He must be..."

"...hunting illegally.", Twilight nodded as she got up and walked over towards a shelf of books. Levitating one out, the title read: "Equestria Law: Region Specifics".

"I thought that there was something in here after you told me that this lion was hunting in the Everfree. Ah, here we go.", Twilight began to read the contents of a page from the book of law.

"Article #14-3-B, 'All unlicensed killing of Everfree animals whether not affiliated to population control of the forest, or to clear invasive species is strictly forbidden. Punishments can range from a fine that ranges from 20,000 to 100,000 bits to imprisonment. Charges vary on what animal is hunted and in what quantity.", Twilight examined the book and read it aloud to Fluttershy.

"O-Oh my...I can remember that his house was filled to the brim with skulls and bones and...", Fluttershy began to feel woozy at the thought of all of the dead animals adorning the house as trophies.

"His house was filled with them? Fluttershy, I think you may have just had an interaction with the greatest poacher I've ever heard of! If this lion's den was filled with skulls and other trophies from animals of the Everfree, then he could be facing a life sentence for his crimes! I just wonder how long he has been hunting there...", Twilight asked herself.

Fluttershy then straitened her back and spoke again.

"Then we have to do something about it! Animals in the Everfree have been endangered for hundreds of years! I just wonder if Rengar has actually caused any to go extinct yet..."

"Rengar?"

"Oh, that's the lion's name. He told it to me while I was at his den."

"Hmm...that might not even be his real name. Nevertheless, what this lion, Rengar is doing is a felonious act and he must be punished for it.", Twilight set the book of law down.

"R-Right! Hunting those poor animals that could just be tamed...he's not going to get away with this!", Fluttershy now spoke with utmost confidence, and a hint of anger towards Rengar. Sure, she was thankful that he was able to save her and bandage up her wing. However, from the numerous slain animals that adorned his walls and his threat to come after her if she tried anything to get him caught, he had to be stopped.

"Alright Fluttershy, I know he technically saved you and Angel, but action has to be taken against this lion. Maybe I could adjust his sentence from the fact that he saved you, but from what i hear about his trophies, it's going to be a heavy sentence for him..."

"Yeah, I-I could guess. I mean...I'm still grateful that he saved me, but in the greater good of animals, he has to be punished.", Fluttershy's face now bore the look of anger at Rengar.

"He punished he will. But from your descriptions, he sounds like a very, very dangerous individual. Most likely armed as well. And defiantly knows his way around the Everfree more than we do. In that case..."

Twilight's and Fluttershy's cutie marks began to glow, lighting the entire room with radiant pink and white light as crystals began to emerge from the base of their seats and crawled towards the center of the council chamber. Upon reaching the center, the crystals began to shift upwards, and suddenly expanded into a massive table which grew outwards until it reached both Fluttershy's and Twilight's seats. A massive holographic display of Equestria now took its place on the map. Moving their attention to the Everfree, Twilight commanded the table to zoom into the forest.

"Alright Fluttershy, did you see any sort of landmarks when you walked out of the Everfree Forest? Any of which we can use to backtrack to Rengar's lair?", Twilight asked her friend.

"Well...I don't remember a whole lot of out-of-the-place things...but I can remember that it was past Froggy Bottom Bog, and it's hidden away in one of the thickest parts of the forest. Maybe...I could actually backtrack where Rengar's den is-

Fluttershy was suddenly cut off by a glow on the map that gave out the tone of some sort of alarm sound. The glow was centered around Froggy Bottom Bog, and text appeared over the map. It read:

"Warning, unknown species detected. Threat level: Maximum. Warning, unknown species detected. Threat level: Maximum."

"What the- oh no, that has to be Rengar. And odd...this is the first time I've hear about this map giving off a warning like this. Normally it just chooses destinations to where the Elements of Harmony need to go."

"Well, what else could it be? That lion really is a maximum threat to the Everfree in my eyes. Hunting all of those endangered species, we have to confront him.", fluttershy was now speaking with renown confidence at the news of animals now being hunted illegally right under her nose.

"Right. But it said: Threat Level Maximum. I've never even see the map show any other warnings like that, so I wonder how dangerous "maximum" is."

"Maybe this is a job for the Princesses?", Fluttershy asked.

"No, they're still on diplomatic travels within North Cowrea. Huh. I wonder what that place is like-"

Fluttershy tapped Twilight's shoulder.

"Oh! Right! Well...since the Princesses won't be back for a great deal of time, perhaps this is a job for the Elements of Harmony!", Twilight nodded her head.

"Oh...but...Rengar is extremely-"

"Dangerous? Yeah I could figure. But with six of us versus one of him, even if he did try to fight back, let me tell you.", Twilight smiled confidently at Fluttershy, "We're no Manticore, and we aren't even a dragon. We are stronger that all of those, and do you know why?"

"Because...we have the Magic of Friendship?"

"That's right. And nothing is going to break that. Not even a lion."

With that, the table had faded away and retracted back into the room. Twilight and Fluttershy were now going to gather the rest of the Elements and head off into the Everfree to confront this lion.

However, at the back of Fluttershy's mind, she still doubted that even the Elements of Harmony would even be up for the task.

It wasn't that she didn't have faith in her friends. It was more about...

...how dangerous this hunter really was.


"Day 423. Still no changes with the bog's environment. The aura of magic is still growing more and more every day."

Rengar's claw, dipped in ink was scribbling down the notes in his journal. He had always come back to the bog to see what changes had happened since that fateful day when one of the ponies' deities had returned to their planet. He knew a tiny bit about the prophecy of how stars would aid the escape of Nightmare Moon, but when she had arrived in the Everfree Forest, her magic had tainted the woodlands.

Before, Rengar could hardly hunt at all, as many of the animals that resided in the forest were endangered. If he were to kill any of them, it could upset the ecosystem of the forest and cause the greats beasts of the Everfree to go extinct. However, when Nightmare moon's magic had infested the forest, something had happened.

The monsters became more aggressive. Breeding rates soared. Mutations occurred. Everything happened which had made Rengar's toll to arrive in this new land well worth his cost. No more would have have to hunt the same creatures on the same rift over and over and over again.

Now, he could hunt beasts that could rival his old enemies at the League.

But that was put behind him now.

When the breeding rates skyrocketed, Rengar found this forest to be paradise. Never before could have have such a plethora of game to choose from, and all the more dangerous they were, the more thrilling the hunt was.

Froggy Bottom Bog was no exception. The magic of Nightmare Moon had also touched the swamp, but in a more different way. Sure, the few hydras that lived in the bog had now increased to a rather fair amount and had grown more aggressive, but something else was in the bog.

Rengar felt like something was stirring deep in the depths of the bog, having the stench of raw magic manifesting in the swamp.

Whatever it was, Rengar has shifted his attention from the swamp and back towards his den deeper in the woodlands. Some new creature coming out of the bog was a bit lower on the list to the matters he had to attend to.

He was expecting ponies at his den soon, and he needed to be there for his visitors.

"After all", Rengar smiled to himself, "How rude would it be to not greet the guests when they arrive?"

And with that, he turned back towards the forest.

Author's Note:

Hexakill?

Also, I apologize for the wait. League of Legends is one hell of a drug, and it's that drug which makes me write this story. Plus, I had to go to camp and yada yada yada, who gives a shit?

See ya bois.

-ShadowFall