• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,686 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,686

Midgame

Rengar took a good look at the wall on his cavern. Standing proudly before it, his eye ran over his new trophy. The hydra head that he had managed to pillage from the monster's corpse gave a fantastic addition to his wall. Its sickly smile was mounted alongside the heads of other trophies that he had collected from the Everfree. The head itself nearly took up half the wall.

However, there would always be one large spot in the center for his centerpiece. The one beast that had bested him and the one hunter that the beast could not kill. Although Rengar was no longer on Runeterra, he still kept that one spot open.

He would probably never find that beast again, but perhaps, if he found something else, it could replace the empty centerpiece.

No. Nothing would replace the head of K-

"Rengar? Rengar! Are you there? There is an urgent matter that I gravely need your assistance with!"

The lion turned towards the entrance of the cave. The voice that called out to him was soft and soothing. Not Lamb's, as it didn't echo in eternity. The other option for consideration was Princess Celestia herself. But how would she know of Rengar's dwelling?

She was close to Twilight, and that bookworm would share anything with her mentor.

Rengar stepped out from the depths of the cave, and exited the entrance, shielding his eye from the harsh sunlight. Standing in the light was non-other than Princess Celestia.

"Celestia? What are you doing here?", the hunter questioned the princess.

Celestia's magic levitated a scroll into Rengar's paw.

"I believe you should read for yourself..."

Princess Celestia,

These are the Mercenaries of the New Military Order of Equestria. We have taken operations in your land within the Everfree Forest, and have access to the most powerful weapons in your military, as well as your select best ponies. We demand a passage out of the country to coordinates that we will specify when the time is right. To meet our demands, we have four fillies, one of which is Diamond Tiara, who we will ransom for three million bits. You shall meet our demands, or these fillies will perish. The blood will be on your hooves, dearest princess.

Attempting armed intervention will be impossible. As mentioned before, we have acquired a large number of your garrison, Celestia. We have artillery, superior firepower, and reinforcements at the ready. If you show up yourself, we will not hesitate to shoot you out of the air.

Make your decision soon, Princess. Time is ticking.

Rengar's eye scrolled down the letter, taking in every single detail that he could. Celestia watched Rengar take in the message, and saw his eyes widening as he went down the letter.

Rengar looked back up and spoke.

"They can't be serious."

Celestia sighed and shook her head.

"I'm afraid that they are..."

He looked over the letter one more time, and met his eye with the princess's two.

"I see. You've come for my help.", Rengar looked at Princess Celestia, handing her back the scroll.

"Y-Yes. I know that in its own right, none of this is your business. But I must ask for your assistance. You know this forest... even better than I do. You're from the League of Legends, home to the greatest warriors of your world, and please, consider what lives are at stake. I can promise you that the reward will be greater than what you can imagine.", at this point, it appeared to be that Celestia was pleading Rengar. She hadn't dealt with a situation like this before, and from the thousand years that she had fought her own fights, she had been quite out of practice.

Rengar turned to Celestia.

"I need no reward. The fact that they have invaded the Everfree is not nearly enough motivation for the atrocities that these ponies are willing to commit. Not even Noxians use children in their demands.", Rengar nodded back to Celestia.

"Really? You'll help?"

"Yes, but know this Celestia."

She looked at him, confused at what Rengar had suddenly said.

"You are to partially blame for this. From the vast quantities of land you have acquired, you hardly know what they hold, and you have little control over them. Your military is one of the weakest I have seen, and coming from a great nation such as Equestria, you cannot handle this situation."

Celestia couldn't believe her ears. She was just told how ineffective of a ruler she was. Some lion hunter had told a goddess what she was doing wrong. She felt furious at this lion. She wanted to blast him with a pulse of magic. But she took in every word that Rengar had said, and sure enough, the champion was right.

She hardly had any knowledge of the land, especially about the Everfree Forest. Her military was in fact, very ineffective, having to rely off of the Elements of Harmony now.

But she already ruled out the Elements as a solution. If one of them were to perish, then Harmony would be broken, and Equestria would be defenseless.

"Hold on here."

Celestia looked up and found that Rengar had gone back into his den. A fe minutes passed before he emered with his wrist-blades, his bolas, armor, and his trusty Hunting Knife. Stepping out, Celestia could now recognize the former League of Legends Champion in his prime when he would slay the most powerful warriors in his world.

"There are some allies I need to contact. Go back to Canterlot and discuss the situation further. Get ready to brief me and my allies when they arrive."

Celestia nodded, but didn't teleport away.

"Allies? Who?"

Rengar chuckled a tiny bit.

"Death. I'll be back soon."

The Princess blinked her eyes, unsure if what Rengar said to her was what her ears actually processed. Death? What did Rengar mean by that? Surely, if the reaper existed, Rengar wouldn't have gotten help from death itself.

Couldn't he? He was a League of Legends champion, after all-

-or was.

Celestia's horn became infused with magic, and in a brilliant flash, she disappeared. Leaving Rengar behind, she appeared back into the castle of Canterlot. Reading over the scroll that she had let Rengar view once again, she could still barely grasp that this whole situation was taking place. An armed insurrection with fillies held hostage? In her own land?

She sighed in frustration as she called a pony. Instructing her to send out letters to certain key ponies, the messenger nodded and got to work delivering scrolls via magical transportation. Smoke consisting of arcane rushed out an open window and found their way to their intended recipients.

Almost instantly after one letter should have been delivered, a bright flash of purple appeared before Celestia.

"Princess! I came as soon as I got your letter! Is what you're saying is true?! ", Twilight Sparkle looked up the the much taller alicorn, bearing a look of dread.

"I am afraid so. Come to the throneroom. More will be arriving to assess this situation."

After the sudden fire and death of her lead scientist, Clockwork Gadget, this insurrection was something that Celestia couldn't afford to deal with efficiently, as now she did not have access to the new prototype weapons that Gadget was devising for the Canterlot Garrison.

"Princess, will Rengar be here too?"

Celestia turned to Twilight, a look in her eyes that Twilight had never seen before.

"I must, or I believe we won't stand a chance..."

That look, was desperation.


It took about the same amount of time for the rest of the ponies in question to arrive at Canterlot as Rengar, along with Kindred rushed to Canterlot, easily scaling the mountain to the castle.

In his own mind, Rengar never appreciated teleportation. He always held it in his head that instant blinking to a location of your choice was lazy and bred over-reliance on one's magic for transportation,instead of staying physically strong through exercise. Nonetheless, the three beings managed to reach Canterlot in a time that others would not have expected.

Inside, the doors opened to the throneroom. The castle hallways seemed to be devoid of staffing and servants, making Rengar thankful that he wouldn't have to receive any more glances and stares from the ponies, and especially so that Lamb and Wolf wouldn't undergo the same treatment.

"What is this place...? It's so...", Lamb whispered in awe of the magnificent castle.

"...empty. I want something to eat...", Wolf grumbled to his two other companions.

"You shall feast soon enough, dear Wolf.", Lamb cooed her friend, running her hand along his jaw.

"Hmmm... hunting armed people. I haven't felt anything like it in a while. It shall be very refreshing.", Rengar flipped out his wrist-blades to inspect, then sheathed them back.

The two walked to the top of the castle, containing the throneroom of Celestia and Luna. However, once they got inside, there were obviously a few more ponies than Princess Celestia and Princess Luna inside.

Twilight Sparkle was found at a table, discussing something with the Princesses. However, along with her, there was a white-coated and blue-maned stallion dressed in armor. Approaching the table, the ponies turned around to behold their new visitors.

"Rengar! There you are!", Twilight got up from the table and rushed over to him, "Can you believe this?! An armed insurrection! I thought I'd never... Lamb and Wolf? What are you two doing here?"

Twilight had looked to Lamb and Wolf, who had just entered the room. Not surprisingly, the other two alicorns, and the stallion turned their heads and eyed the other two spirits in wonder and awe.

"This is Lamb and Wolf. Two embodiments of death, one merciful, one inescapable. I have asked for them to help, and they have agreed to assist us in this battle."

Lamb gracefully walked over towards the table, and stopped in front of the Princesses. She bowed lightly, and spoke in her soft voice.

"It is a great honor to meet you both, my Princesses."

Celestia and Luna looked at each other, which Luna quickly whispering into Rengar's ear.

"Embodiments of death? What other friends does Rengar have that we don't know about?"

After this, Rengar turned to the stallion and asked what his identity was. he already had a distaste for the military here, so his expectations were rather low.

However, this stallion saluted and stood at attention.

"Sir, I am Captain Shining Armor of the Crystal Empire's Garrison. Celestia and Luna had briefed me on the situation, and who you are, champion.", the stallion stood firm as a rock, possibly outdoing this in Twilight's eyes.

"A captain all the way from the Crystal Empire? Why here? And why isn't your other soldier here, Princesses?", Rengar inquired.

"Ever since the fire in our laboratories, Golden Might has been no where to be seen.", Luna explained to Rengar.

"But at this point, we have a feeling that he is playing a big part in this. He always wanted more and more control of our military, claiming that he would "reform" the entire thing. This whole ideology of restoring Equestria to its former military might sounds like just the thing he would want.", Celestia spoke after her sister.

"As well as a guard we had talked to told us that Golden Might had indeed gone away from the castle for some time.", Shining Armor added, "As for why I am here, soldiers have disappeared from my garrison as well. If they are to be found here, it is under my duty to resolve this, as the Crystal Empire is now affected."

Rengar nodded. He certainly preferred this guard over the other, thought it wasn't saying much compared to the other guards he has come into contact with. Lamb and Wolf approached the table, with Lamb sitting down and Wolf hovering above her head, whispering into her ear that he was hungry. Rengar took a seat as well, but towered over the rest of the ponies and spirits here.

"Now, we believe these ponies could be hiding out north of Froggy Bottom Bog, where the-"

Rengar interrupted Twilight.

"Not possible. When I was seeking out Lamb and Wolf, I nearly stumbled into a net-trap. Definitely set for small animals, and looked relatively new. In addition, there were tons of them around. Either they are catching for sustenance, meaning that Griffons or Diamond Dogs are with them, or they are poaching for rare animals. Either way, traps were found around the central forest area. They have to be there."

"I see. It's a shame we can't resolve this with the Elements of Harmony. It really has been a while since I've heard of a pony that would harm first, ask questions later in this kind of manner...", Twilight looked around the table. It must really be quite the shock for these ponies to learn of an insurrection. This thought went around in Rengar's mind, as the ponies always seemed so happy and secure within their civilization.

"They also have four fillies, one being ransomed for three million bits? Must be an important filly.", Shining Armor stated.

"Three million for a child? I know it's a child, but what child is that important?", Rengar scratched his chin.

"Diamond Tiara. She belongs to the wealthiest family in Ponyville. If they already knew about this, they would already be here, begging me to pay the ransom. I don't want to release the information yet. They may be guards, but they won't kill her.", Twilight spoke.

"Yet."

The ponies looked at Wolf, unapprovingly.

"He speaks the truth. If we wait too long, they'll get bored and slay the other fillies soon enough. I know what death these ponies are willing to cause. And it will not be merciful.", Lamb whispered across the table.

"So armed intervention is the best solution. But we can't risk the Elements, nor the Princesses' lives.", Shining Armor placed both of his hooves on the table.

"And that is why I called for Rengar. He is the most experienced one here, possibly outmatching me and my sister. With the title of a League of Legends champion in him...", Celestia looked over back to Rengar.

"I can tell. But experience isn't everything. This is why I seek allies for thew battle that will inevitably come. This is why I asked Lamb and Wolf."

"These fillies. Their time hasn't come yet, but these guards' has. The fillies have a lot to live for, and me and Wolf shall make sure that they do.", Lamb nodded and turned towards the Princesses, "No arrow sails as accurately as mine."

"And no teeth are sharper in all of the land as mine!", Wolf snarled, despite being surrounded by royalty.

"Rengar, sir?"

The lion turned towards the stallion.

"Don't call me that. I'm not some sort of general. What is it?"

"I wish to accompany this expedition. Perhaps we could all get as much help as we could muster.", the guard asked Rengar. Twilight's eyes widened at this request, but she seemed to strain to keep her mouth shut.

It took only a few seconds for Rengar to think this over. The Elements of Harmony were, even Rengar had to admit, a strong fighting force. So what about a guard that had been trained to fight, and at least looked the least bit confident.

"Very well. We shall leave now.", Rengar announced.

"Now? This moment?", Luna asked the hunter.

"Yes, if we delay any longer, these guards will act hastily, and that isn't something that you all can afford. We can discuss further plans while we are traveling.", Rengar spoke, "Princess Celestia. Announce that I myself am coming alone. Tell him that you want to do a prisoner exchange, and that you also discovered my whereabouts and my 'illegal hunt'. He has a bone to pick with me, and being a League of Legends champion, I'm sure that he would view me as far more important than those fillies."

The Princess nodded and levitated out a parchment of paper and a feather.

"Lamb, Wolf, Shining Armor. We shall attack this night. Tonight, we hunt."


Thankfully, it was evening when they left, so they didn't delay too long to arrive at the encampment. Lamb and Shining Armor had stayed back while Rengar and Wolf had scouted the place. It was certainly a very large encampment. A full armory and multiple barracks were situated throughout the place, with guard at every corner of Rengar's eye. Thankfully, the thrill of the hunt had begun to appear within him again, allowing him to camouflage in thin air, or become invisible.

Rays of light bent around Rengar's fur and Wolf's black haze blended in perfectly with the night.

"So much to eat... But so many with weapons...", Wolf looked around the camp, avoiding eye-view.

"There is a lot of them, but I have fought more at once. What concerns me are some of the weapons these ponies are carrying. I've never seen rifles that advanced, save possibly for Caitlyn's, another champion."

Wolf growled and Rengar whisked away from their hiding spot to arrive back to the waiting Lamb and Shining Armor, who took turns looking through an eyeglass that belonged the the Crystal Empire captain.

"What have you two found?", Shining Armor asked the lion and spirit upon their return.

"Lots of guns. And some sort of swords made of crystal. Do you know of such things, Shining Armor?"

"So they were the ones who stole from the armory. Bad news, guys. Those were special blades made of pure crystal. Can cut through nearly anything, and I've never seen one chip in my life. That makes close-quarters combat even more complicated, added to the rifle threat."

"I see. Though my Hunting Knife is made from materials not from your world. I don't know how it would interact with those blades."

"The ponies also carry big guns. Very, big guns.", Wolf added.

"Guns? My bow-work should match up to any gun of this world-"

"Hey! Check this out!"

Shining Armor quickly and quietly spoke, pointing to a group of guards talking to each other, one of them aiming a rifle down towards a tree. He seemed to be taking aim at the thing, possibly for target practice.

KER-KRACK!

BOOM!

The rifle went off, and the tree that he was aiming at suddenly blasted apart in a multi-colored explosion, reeking with raw magic. After the smoke cleared, a gigantic chunk of the entire tree was missing, causing it to topple over.

"Dear Celestia... one shot.", the captain muttered under his breath.

"Hm. Very powerful guns. But look.", Lamb pointed out towards the guard, who was now fumbling with something in his hoof, another cartridge.

"One shot. And... he is still reloading."

"One shot may be all that they need...", Shining Armor objected.

"So then we won't let them have it.", Rengar growled quietly, "We strike from the shadows after the 'prisoner exchange' goes south for our little captain out there. Then, we create panic and pandemonium. No one will know how to take an effective shot, and the ones that fire blindly are an added bonus."

"I'm beginning to like this plan...!", Wolf smiled and snarled.

"Heh. Guess that makes two of us.", Shining Armor chuckled.

"Three, as well.", Lamb nodded.

Rengar grew a little smile. He was beginning to actually get along with his allies for once, unlike what would usually happen within the League of Legends. Even one of them was a pony.

"Well, we have an idea, but we need a plan. I happened to see a lot of barrels strewn around that camp. They were labeled as "highly explosive". Shining Armor, what could be in there?", Rengar asked.

"Arcanite. Pure magic in a powder form, and highly volatile. I can feel it all the way from here...", Rengar noted that this pony was also a unicorn, explaining his feeling.

"If we could detonate them, at least some when I give a signal, who knows how startled those guards will be. They'll need a new set of trousers!", Rengar laughed quietly in the tree.

"Heh. You know, I get the same feeling from the Arcanite from Lamb's bow. Is it pure magic?", Shining asked.

"You are correct."

"Good. If my guess is right, then Lamb's arrows should cause a reaction with the unrefined powder.", Shining Armor explained.

"Boom?", Rengar asked.

"Big boom.", Shining Armor nodded.

"Are we really going on a guess here? What if my arrows don't react? What if I can't hit them in the first place?", Lamb told the other three.

"You are the greatest archer that I know, Lamb. As death, I know many, and you are the greatest of them all. You will hit those barrels."

Lamb smiled underneath her mask and brushed her fingers in Wolf's fur.

"Thank you, dear Wolf."

"How many can you shoot at once?"

"I can shoot three. No more."

"We need a backup in case this goes in the wrong direction. If the barrels don't detonate, then I can snap my bindings and go into stealth. You'll need to distract them in order for me to do so. Then, we'll fight from there.", Rengar explained to the others.

"If you can't free yourself?", Shining asked.

"Any sort of chains I can snap. Chains that are made for ponies are far too small for me. It will be easy to do so.", Rengar replied.

At least he hoped.

At this point, the four fighters began to prepare themselves for the grueling battle that surely lay ahead of them. Rengar checked his Hunting Knife and his wrist blades, as well as his handy supply of bolas. Lamb was discussing something with Wolf, and Shining Armor had donned his armor, a light-blue armor that in the night time, served to blend itself in with the darkness surprisingly well. His tradition guard helmet was replaced with a full battle helm, with a protective visor to boot.

While he check his crystal sword for imperfections, one of the very few swords that had not been stolen by the rouge guards, and loaded up his crossbow with pure crystal bolts, Rengar approached him and began to speak.

"Shining Armor, was it?"

The captain turned to face Rengar.

"Yes, sir. You're correct."

At this, Rengar sighed a heavy exhale.

"Don't call me 'sir'. I'm not some sort of general. I'm a warrior, a hunter. I'm not like those Demacians or Noxians.", he responded to Shining Armor's given title to Rengar.

"If you say so, Rengar.", Shining grinned at the lion, but said lion had a question for him.

"Why did you offer to come along so hastily? Don't you see the fighting force that has assembled? A former champion from the League of Legends? Two literal incarnates of death? Wouldn't you think that you're out of your league here?", Rengar spoke to the captain, despite possibly giving offense to the pony. Despite this, Shining Armor gave his reasoning without a deterrence in his voice.

“I could tell that I was in over my head on this matter. Celestia had briefed me about you being in the ‘League of Legends’. But… you see, I’m a soldier. There is no such thing as ‘over my head’. When guards from the Crystal Empire joined in this insurrection, it became my matter as well, and a duty that called. Even though I have a bit more to lose than the average guard… it’s still my call of duty.”, Shining Armor stared at his reflection in his sword, “A call of duty that I will answer.”

Rengar looked at this pony. A soldier that knew that he was in over his head, yet he wanted to still fulfill his duty? Was this guard out of his mind? Or was he one of the bravest souls that Rengar had now known? Or possibly both?

“Hmph. This land needs more guards like you. Willing to risk it all for their duty. I’m no soldier, but I believe that’s what every soldier should embody. But, what do you mean by ‘have more to lose than the average guard’, exactly?”, Renger asked Shining.

“Well… I’m married to the greatest mare in Equestria, to me and to all, we have a foal on the way, and well… my sister still means the world to me, as well as me to her’s.”, Shining Armor spoke back, this time averting his gaze, “I mean, I know I could die, but there’s just more than death at stake here for me.”

The hunter watched the soldier's body language. He wasn’t demoralised, but he felt something else.

“But that’s all the more reason for me to live, and win this fight.”

“Impressive.”

Rengar noted Shining Armor’s rekindled will to fight. At that point, Wolf had floated over to the other two.

I found the fillies. They’re bringing them out. Maybe they’re expecting us to attack soon.”, Wolf snarled, his voice never once sounding less savage.

“Then attack we will. Everyone remember the plan?”, Rengar turned to ask his party.

“By heart.”

Yes.

“I got it.”

Rengar nodded to them all. However, before any of them could make further movements or put their plan into action, a shout pierced the silence down below.

It was Golden Might.

He was grasping one of the fillies by their mane, dragging them out into the open, surrounded by guards. He held up a crystal sword to the filly’s throat, and hollered into the forest.

“I know you’re watching me, Celestia! Your time is running out! I’ll give you five minutes before I spill this little one’s blood!”, Golden Might proclaimed. At this, the filly’s eyes grew wide as she struggled to get out of the grip of the ex-captain. The little pony’s pink and purple mane was held tight by the captain, and her white coat would certainly make for a terrible mixture of red if the group didn’t act fast.

At this, Shining Armor’s face grew into a scowl.

“Unbelievable… I’d never ever think a pony like this would ever exist…”

Rengar shook his head.

“Even I find this despicable.”

Lamb and Wolf had already moved off to their positions, and when Rengar spotted them in a separate tree a distance away, he gave them a thumbs up.

Then, Rengar turned to Shining Armor.

“You know what to do.”

“Right.”

Rengar at this point had relinquished his weapons to Lamb and Wolf. If this facade was to be attempted, it had to be done right. Even then, Rengar still had a weapon almost nopony ever would expect: his claws.

“Good luck, Rengar.”, Shining Armor slinked down into the tree.

“Luck to all of us.”

The lion slid down the tree, and proceeded to walk straight towards the camp filled with armed guards. Trudging right at the camp was unnerving, to say the least. Rengar had fought manticores, basilisks, that hydra, monsters from his homeworld, Runeterra, and most of all, champions from the League of Legends. But now, his fur stood on their ends, and his own heart began to race.

Why was he becoming anxious? He’s fought worse before. Debatably in smaller numbers, but this shouldn’t scare him.

No, that wasn’t it.

It’s what is at stake.

Before, he fought for recognition. For glory. To uphold the title of the greatest hunter who ever lived.

But now, he was fighting for innocent lives, to stop an entire rebellion, and even, dare he say it, justice.

He fought for himself before, but now, he shall fight for others.


Golden Might was growing more and more impatient as time ticked on. He had to deal with this filly who wouldn’t stop bawling in his grip, and his arm was beginning to get tired from holding his sword against the filly’s neck.

“You have one minute, Celestia! I know you’re there with your guards! A unicorn like me can sense the magic! One minute before this filly’s head leaves her neck!”

At this, Sweetie Belle began to absolutely break down into tears. She’d never ever think that a situation like this would ever come to her, or anypony for that fact. She knew that Celestia was there, somewhere, but why wasn’t she coming to save her?

Was she just not that important?

But all ponies are important in her eyes…

“Thirty seconds!”

Golden Might’s words echoed through the forest. Sweetie Belle began to cry again, but a quick pain on the top of her head stifled it.

“Shut it, you piece of shit.”

Golden Might had whacked her head with the pommel of the sword, and it hurt. Sweetie Belle wished she could hold her head and cover it to ease the pain, but she knew that it wouldn’t happen.

“Fifteen-”

“Sir! Something’s coming out of the treelines!”

The ex-captain’s eyes shifted towards the location the guard had called out to. Sure enough, bushes were rustling. Something was about to come out.

“Rifles out!”

The guards that were able to wield rifles hoisted them out, while the ones that could still only receive the crossbows pointed them towards the bushes.

The eyes of Golden Might narrowed towards the bushes as the rustling eventually gave way to a figure.

At once, from the light of the campfires, Golden Might could see the shape of a bipedal beast. White fur covered the monster, and a magnificent mane surrounded the creature’s neck.

It was that lion, Rengar.

Then, the lion got down to his knees, coughed and heaved, and had a look of desperation and rage in his eye.

“The princesses betrayed me! They would promise me freedom! They promised me to live! But I’m now a prisoner to be exchanged!”, the lion shouted.

At this, Golden Might smiled deviously.

An exchange with that accursed lion? Those princesses were all too accommodating. At once, guards moved to secure the lion, and bounded him with chains they had stored for larger beasts they have captured. A suitable fit for the loin.

Once Rengar was binded, Golden Might walked up to him with the filly in his clutches.

“How does it feel, lion, to be at my will? From what you did in Ponyville, I knew that i’d get even. No, I’d get more than even. And here you are, some supposed champion of this non-existent ‘League of Legends’, at my mercy. How does it feel?”

Rengar gave a defeated sigh.

“It feels bad.”

At this, Rengar’s paws, which were behind his back, began to uncurl his fingers. He began to hold up one finger for each passing second, counting down from ten to nine, then eight, then so on.

Lamb, Wolf, and Shining Armor knew this was the signal.

Meanwhile, Golden Might laughed as he walked over towards the rest of his guards, the sword still up to Sweetie Belle’s neck.

“Now please, the princesses say to let the fillies go. You have me, and I am worth far more.”, Rengar pleaded.

At this, Golden Mane threw the little girl down at the ground, and placed his hoof on her back, preventing the squirming child from moving.

“Ha...ha… I don’t think so. You see, I’ve grown a little bored. Celestia should have sent me the ransom, but she sent me you. You may be worth more in her eyes, but to me, you’re just trash.”, Golden Might grew a twisted smile as he drew the sword and turned the filly over, placing it right over her rapidly beating heart.

“Besides, I was going to kill them anyways.”

Then, everything seemed to slow down. Golden Might’s sword entered Sweetie Belle’s chest, spilling her blood. He pressed to sword deeper, earning to penetrate her vital organ.

“It was your mistake to come alone, Rengar!”

It felt wonderful to Golden Might to get what he wanted.

It felt so good…

It felt…

...too good?

When he looked around, a giant flash of golden light appeared underneath the filly, covering her, him, and several other guards in golden energy. He looked down as he now bared witness to the filly, now encased in some sort of the same golden energy, and the bleeding had completely stopped.

Her chest was still rising up and down for Celestia’s sake!

“What?! What the-!”


“Not here, not yet…”

Lamb’s voice echoed through the forest as her respite had taken effect on the little filly.


Then, in a massive flash, Golden Might had been knocked onto his back, the sword now on the ground. The surrounding guards had fared the same fate, now on their backs, trying to rub their eyes from the blinding flash, as many of the other guards were attempting to do. Sweetie Belle received a far better fate, her lethal wound instantly healing to stop her death, a rather nasty scar appearing in its wake.

Rengar’s muscles did their magic, snapping apart the rusty bindings that held his arms together. He immediately rushed towards the filly. Rengar scooped up the little pony, who was still alive from Lamb’s Respite.

When Golden might had regained his senses, he could now see Rengar towering over him, holding the filly he attempted to kill.

“And what made you think…”

Rengar now bore a smile as three arrows, consisting of pure magic began to sail towards three barrels of arcanite located in the camp.

“...that I would come alone?”

And with that, Rengar, with Sweetie Belle in his protective embrace, cloaked away into the darkness right before Golden Might’s eyes, becoming completely invisible.

“Focuuuusssssss…”

Rengar’s voice was only heard by Golden Might as he and Sweetie Belle became invisible.

Author's Note:

Celestia help them...

-ShadowFall