• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,689 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,689

Hostage

Reporting back to the Princesses hardly took any back-ache to Rengar, as he was now permitted to return to his dwelling in the Everfree for now.

Thankfully, his lair had survived the attack, though if the hydra had gone a slightly different route, all of his trophies inside would have been demolished. All of that hard work would have eventually meant nothing. Though it wasn't the case, Rengar could at least feel thankful that his home wasn't smashed to the ground.

At the meeting with reporting back with Celestia and Luna, Rengar had learned of his punishment for threatening the Elements of Harmony. Originally, he was to be sent to a jail where he would spend a fair amount of time for his threats, but due to helping defend Ponyville from the monstrous beast, he was now entitled to work with the Elements instead of continue his hunt. At least for the time being.

Rengar, of course, was terribly unpleased with this, having to work with these inferior ponies.

At least it was with a group of ponies that could respect him, and he could do the same to them.

Well, most of them.

Returning to the Everfree Forest, he looked to the left and saw the trail that lead to Zecora's house. He decided to check up on her, and as such, he ventured down the path. Her house hadn't been destroyed, but with a quick knock on the door, then opening the door as nopony responded, he could see that quite a lot of valuables were broken and had fallen off of the shelves.

Inside, Zecora was attempting to clean the giant mess that had been made, and didn't hear Rengar when he came inside. She stopped what she was doing and talked to him for a bit, especially with how the Elements were treating him. He told her that it "could be worse". She chuckled at that.

He didn't stay for too long and decided to head back to his own dwelling after checking up on the place.

He could see Lamb and Wolf rushing through the forest, perhaps personally judging animals for their death. The lion still found it hard to believe that Bard had originated on the very world that he transported him to. Though at the same time, not impossible.

He reached his lair by Froggy Bottom Bog, and disappeared inside.

The ponies wouldn't be able to notice him go out in the forest and hunt some more beasts.


"Now look, Diamond Tiara. Ah' know you've haven't been the nicest to us... but that's all in tha' past now. We forgive you both for how you treated us. What matters now is that we're all friends.", Applebloom smiled at Tiara, genuinely as she could.

"I know... but that's not enough. I was awful to you three.", Tiara held her head down.

"Me too...", Silver Spoon followed.

"And I still want to make things right with you girls.", Tiara continued.

"That sounds great, but why are we going to the Everfree?", Sweetie Belle asked in a tone of concern, "Rarity's gonna make a fuss when I come back all dirty..."

Diamond Tiara giggled a bit and spoke up.

"What if I could show you girls a prism fox?"

Immediatly, Applebloom perked up.

"A prism fox?! No way! Applejack's talked about those before, but nearly nopony's ever seen one!

"Yeah, well Diamond Tiara here said she found one a few days ago outside the forest.", Silver Spoon smiled at her friend.

"Well... are you sure it's worth it to go into the forest and find it? There could be monsters.", Scootaloo dug at the ground anxiously, "Not that I'm scared or anything."

"Don't worry! They're no monsters along this way."

"So... DIamond Tiara. How come you know so much about the Everfree?"

"Well... sometimes my dad would take me along this path to go walking. I didn't really appreciate it then... but it was a really nice thing for him to do. I did need quite a bit of fresh air once in a while.", Diamond Tiara explained.

"Just trust her! She knows what she's doing!", Silver Spoon giggled alongside Diamond Tiara.

The group of fillies trekked through the forest for a bit of time now, Diamond Tiara now letting her new friends take in the scenery around them. The various trees and plants were certainly a neat sight to behold, as some twisted while others stood straight. Even at the same time, Applebloom and Diamond Tiara stopped the rest of their friends from walking into a familiar blue plant that they both knew all-too well.

"So... how was it like getting your cutie marks?", Silver Spoon asked the Crusaders.

The three fillies looked at one another, then Applebloom answered back with a smile.

"It felt... really unique. Like you finally had worked so had to achieving a dream and it finally comes true. But then again, it ain't our only goal."

"Yeah! We wanna help other fillies who're struggling to find their own talents. I mean, getting our cutie marks is a big leap forward, but... we don't wanna stop there. Even our cutie marks tell us to help others find their own special talents!", Sweetie Belle cheered happily.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon grinned along with them. How could they have been so awful to these three? Wether it was from their lack of a cutie mark, or maybe... were they jealous because nopony else would be their friend, it didn't matter anymore. They were terrible back then, and now, they wanted to make things right.

"Come on! Around here!". Diamond Tiara ran ahead of the group. The four other fillies quickly followed around the corner. When they circled around, they found...

...an empty opening.

Nothing was there. No traces of animals or critters were present at their location. In a fuss, Diamond Tiara looked around.

"W-What?! But the fox always comes here to sleep and play around during this time of day!", Diamond Tiara exclaimed with frustration.

"Hey, hey. Calm down, Diamond Tiara. Maybe it's just not here today.", Applebloom patted her shoulder, also feeling a bit disappointed.

"But we've seen that fox for over two years! When me and my dad came here, it was always around. We even fed it little jewels..."

At this point, Silver Spoon suggested that they waited around for a bit for the fox to show up, which they did. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle had told their sisters that they would be hanging out with their new friends for a while, and they agreed for them to go out. Scootaloo didn't have to convince Rainbow Dash too hard to let her go.

After all, Rainbow Dash at this point was practically a self-proclaimed guardian of hers.

Diamond Tiara only felt more and more defeated when time passed. These last few days have been hectic. Even more so than what goes on in Ponyville. After that hydra had been defeated, the townsponies had come back into Ponyville. To the dismay of many, their homes have been destroyed, and the promise of immediate reconstruction by Princess Twilight had done little to quell their unhappiness. Luckily, Diamond Tiara and their family's home had been spared.

Along with The Carousal Boutique, each of the fillies were lucky to have their dwellings survive.

Diamond Tiara wanted to come to the Everfree with her friends to forget about this recent destruction and to just spend some time with the Crusaders and Silver Spoon. However, it just wasn't turning out very well.

"Hey, Tiara. Look, maybe the fox won't show up. But that doesn't mean we can't have a fun time here. Right?", Scootaloo asked Diamond Tiara.

"You're right. Hey, where was your treehouse, Applebloom?"

"Oh, we can take a shortcut out of the Everfree Forest to get to it. Follow me!"

The filly turned and began to march out like a proud leader, earning giggles from the other girls.

However, they stopped giggling immediately.

SNAP! TWACK!

Applebloom screamed as she was pulled up into an enclosure consisting of thick ropes, held tightly inside of the net that had sprung up under her hooves. Her friends' eyes widened as Applebloom was suddenly thrashed up into a trap.

"Oh my gosh! Applebloom! Are you okay?!", Diamond Tiara shouted to her friend in panic.

"Ah-Ah think so! Get help!"

"Don't worry! We'll get you down!"

Sweetie Belle lead the others to approach Applebloom in an attempt to free her. However, once they took another step, another net snapped up, catching the other four ponies in a much more tighter grip, preventing any of them from reaching their friend, nonetheless, moving.

"Oh great! Now what?!", Diamond Tiara groaned.

"Don't worry! I can just untie us with magic!", Sweetie Belle shut her eyes, and concentrated as hard as she could. She grit her teeth and pressed her eyes shut as a tiny green glow illuminated on her horn- then puffed out shortly after.

"Whoops. Hehe...", she smiled sheepishly, "Guess I need a bit more practice..."

Then, Scootaloo spoke up quickly and buzzed her wings.

"Hey! I remember that Rainbow Dash told me about Daring Do and how she escaped from a net by uh... 'using a pendulum swing to bring the momentum to snap her free'... or something like that."

The fillies all looked at Scootaloo.

"What? Rainbow Dash said that the movie didn't have that from the book."

Deciding that she had nothing to loose, Applebloom begun to swing herself.

"Don't worry! I'll get myself free!"

"Hurry! We can't do it all together in here!"

Applebloomm's ear picked up the voice of Silver Spoon's. She jerked her body to the side, and the net moved slightly to the left. When she was at the height of it, she swung her body in the opposite direction, swinging her right.'

"Go, Applebloom!"

"You can do it!"

Hearing her friends cheer her, she thrusted herself to the left again as hard as she could. Repeating this process into what seemed to be an eternity, the net was now swinging left and right like a pendulum.

With one hard jerk to the right, the net suddenly swung up, but instead of being held up along the tree, the net briefly hit empty force, and came crashing back down. The tree branch snapped liked a twig and Applebloom hit the dirt.

"UGH!"

She huffed the dust away from her mane, and managed to get up to her hooves.

"Way to go, Applebloom!", Diamond Tiara cheered gleefully at her friend's success.

"Wait! I think I see a rock. Maybe if it's..."

Applebloom's hoof dug towards the rock while she was in the net. With a bit of effort, she managed to slide the rock towards herself.

"Oh yeah, it's sharp! Good thing I didn't land on it..."

Taking it in her mouth, she began to stab at a section of the rope. Over and over she poked and jabbed at her entanglement, until she began to fray the wire. With a final stroke, she cut herself a hole that she could get out of.

"I did it!"

Applebloom shouted in glee once she crawled out of the net.

"Great! Now help us!", Silver Spoon called out.

"Right Now just hold on-"

"Hey guys! I think I got one!"

Another voice came from the forest, obviously belonging to a much older pony, male from the tone of its voice.

At this point, Applebloom looked around her head, and her friends strained to focus in the same direction of interest. Out of the clearing came two stallions, both dressed in armor, though looking far different than the golden armor that the Canterlot guards wore. On their back was an odd long contraption, something that the fillies had no idea what its purpose was for.

The two stallions took a look at their latest catch, and they instantly stopped in their tracks.

"...oh buck.", one of them muttered under his breath.

Then, the other guard noticed the filly that was currently free of binding.

"Shield... that other one is free..."

Immediately, the guard named "Shield" took his device, and pointed it straight at Applebloom.

"Hooves up! Don't move or I'll shoot! Do you understand?!"

However, fear and instinct overtook the poor filly instead of reasoning with the guard armed with a rifle. She turned heel, and scampered as fast as she could, racing off to get help and tell somepony what has happening.

"Hey! Hey! Stop now or I'll shoot!", Shield leveled the rifle and aimed down the sights of the weapon. He lined up the rear pieces with the front, and put it right onto the filly's back.

He held his breath, and his horn's magic began to glow, activating the trigger...

But the gun began to shake. The sights tumbled from left to right, unable to get a baring on that little pony. She grit his teeth and tried to steady the gun, attempting to find out why his gun was shaking so much. It didn't take him a second to find out that he himself was shaking. He couldn't place the sights on the filly that was now escaping. He just couldn't. He couldn't shoot a child.

He looked back at his partner, and found that he himself was shaking. He couldn't shoot the filly either. Heaving, he lowered his rifle.

"Shit... now what?"

"We tell Golden Might. He'll decide what to do with these fillies."

Applebloom watched back to see her friends get removed from the tree branch, being carried back into the forest, still in the net. She was going to get help.

She had to tell somepony.

She had to tell her sister.

Her pace quickened as she sprinted out of the forest.


"As you can see, there are vast quantities of arcanite under this forest's soil.", the Diamond Dog spoke to Golden Might, heaving the pickaxe over his shoulder.

"Really. This forest is just untapped with riches. Those damned Princesses hardly have grasp on the vast land that they control! So... when can you extract it?", Golden Might asked the lupine.

"Well... we can definitely keep things quiet. I'll get my crew together and we can start digging now."

"Good. Do so."

"Alright. Hey boys! Let's go diggen'!"

Golden Might huffed and walked away from the Diamond Dogs.

"I hate working with those beasts..."

Things have been going very well. The Diamond Dogs had now offered their services to illegally mine for arcanite, a mineral that is infused with magic. Either sold for favorable sums, or ground up for arcane powder, the propellent for their Hextech rifles. They had alread stolen a good amount from the Canterlot armory, and the crystal guard had done the same.

He looked to the left and saw guards practicing their swords on nearby trees, finding that it was able to make good and clean cuts into them. Others were busy loading and inspecting their rifles, some aiming down their sights to get a good feel for them.

Golden Might then looked over to a tent. Walking over, he found that the rotary cannon was inside, along with the Optical Detection Device that he had also managed to steal.

"How is the cannon doing?", Golden Might set his rifle down in the corner of the tent and his own personal flintlock on the table.

"Works like a charm. The barrels spool up perfectly, and the magic has been loaded within it. Can't wait to see this beast in action.", a scientist smiled at the marvelous weapon.

"Being able to chop down trees with a single weapon isn't an easy feat... how about the Optical device?"

"Working good. You'll be able to see a ghost from a mile away."

The ex-captain nodded, satisfied.

"Excellent. Not even the entire Equestrian Army will stop us when we just start to get going. Keep up the good work. Your pays depend on it."

"Yes, sir."

Golden Might exited out of the tent, and was immediately stopped by a guard.

"S-Sir! There's a situation! You have to come see this!"

Annoyed, Golden Might brushed the younger stallion aside.

"Can't it wait, damnit? I have important-"

"We've been discovered!"

Golden Might came to a grinding halt. He immediately pushed the guard aside and ran off to where he had come from. When he got through a small group of brush, he came across two other guards, a net in their clutches with four fillies inside, most likely scared out of their minds.

"What the hell happened?!"

"We set up a trap for animals, but we caught these fillies instead."

"One of them escaped!"

Golden Might's eyes widened. He looked at both of the guards, then at the fillies who hadn't said a single word through the conversation. He huffed in frustration then looked back up at the two soldiers.

"One escaped? Did you shoot it?"

The guards looked at each other, then stared down at the ground.

"I... I couldn't."

"She was just a filly. I... I couldn't do that. Sir! You have to understand!"

The leader of the mercenaries couldn't believe his ears. That filly who got away could have now exposed his entire operation right now. Soon, Princess Celestia will know and send out a response.

Most likely, it will eventually resort to an armed conflict. Even though Golden Might's forces will be at an advantage, especially with them gaining more and more allies like the Diamond Dogs, it was still too early.

He looked down at the sword and flintlock at his side. He should shoot one and hack the other one down. They don;t shoot a filly, he'll shoot his own guard. He didn't pay guards to miss, and especially to not fire. No matter what the target was.

That was, until he saw one of the fillies in the net.

He shoved the guards aside and he eyed the filly.

The pink coated and purple and white-maned pony stared back up at him, unbelievably, had the courage to say ,"What are you looking at?"

Golden Might got up and walked back to the two guards.

"Do you know who that filly in the net is? The pink one?"

The two guards both shook their heads, unable to answer correctly.

"You idiots! That's Diamond Tiara! She belongs to the richest family in Ponyville. Her family even has connections to Canterlot! Do you know how much money her family has?!"

"I-I'm guessing a lot?"

"Yes! Tons of it! And do you know how much they'll pay us for ransom? We have their precious little girl, and we'll be swimming in bits before you know it. Since we're already exposed thanks to you two...", the ex-captian smiled maliciously, "Maybe it is time for us to be known. We have the firepower, and the militaries of Equestria will not be much of a match for us. We know this land, they hardly know theirs. Knowing the compassion of Celestia, it will be an easy barter."

The two guards looked at each other a little uneasily. Bartering a filly for ransom? Getting told to fire on a child...?

"You two. Get those fillies back to camp and lock them up. I'll be sending our Princess a little message."

The fillies were hoisted up again, and were carried through the camp.

"I...I'm sorry girls. This is my fault. I shouldn't have come into this forest for some stupid fox...", Diamond Tiara only stared at the moving ground.

"It's not your fault. It's these ponies who trapped us."

"But now they're gonna use you for money, Diamond Tiara."

Diamond Tiara didn't catch what the gaurds were talking about, but she caught onto Sweetie Belle's voice.

"What?!"

"Yeah, they talked about 'money' and something about 'ransom'. What does that mean?"

"It means that they'll exchange Diamond Tiara for money...", Silver Spoon responded.

Tiara's eyes could only stare back onto the ground.

"I... I..."

She didn't know anymore. She didn't know what to say.


Applebloom had reached back to Sweet Apple Acres, and looked around frantically for help. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted her older brother, Big Macintosh. She was out of breath at the moment from running out of the forest, but that didn't stop her from still running to her brother.

"Big Mac *huff*! Something terrible *pant* has happened!"

He dropped his farming equipment and bent down.

"Eeyup?"

"Me and my friends went into the forest, and they got foalnapped! By ponies! I escaped, and we have to help them!"

Her brother's eyes were glued onto her for an entire five seconds before he told her to get onto his back. Applebloom did so, and he suddenly reared up and broke off into a sprint. Knowing right, he knew that Applejack was with her friends as a cafe, and that he could contact authorities nearby. He rushed on the dirt path with all of his might, his well-exercised legs serving their purpose well as in no time, he reached into Ponyville.

Applebloom dismounted and ran to her sister.

"Applejack! Applejack!"

Her sister turned around towards her sister.

"Applebloom? Is that you? Where are your friends?"

"That's just it!"

Author's Note:

Oooooooh, I bet you guys just LOVE Golden Might.

I bet you guys LOVE him so much.

It would be a shame if a certain lion were to, um...

"Correct" him.

-ShadowFall