• Published 14th Jun 2015
  • 5,689 Views, 431 Comments

Tonight, We Hunt - ShadowFall



Fluttershy has a very up-close and personal encounter with the deadliest hunter in all of Equestria when he unknowingly saves her life. New revelations of the Everfree Forest will be made, as well as the most dangerous being living in it.

  • ...
24
 431
 5,689

Signing Up

Rengar had a lot to get used to being blind. Thankfully, he wasn’t at too much of a crippled handicap, his nose and whiskers being able to guide him through the twists and turns of the Everfree Forest. Perhaps he could even hunt like this.

Oh what a thrill that would be. But he wasn’t venturing into the wilderness to hunt, he was traveling inside to see to it that a certain someone had been revived. Or more accurately, two.

Rengar heard the scampering of forest life run away from him, meaning that Ivern, that new champion within the League must be doing his job. Apparently, that trent has quite the despising of hunters, being some sort of protector of the woodlands.

Not that Rengar would care too much.

Pushing aside brush he felt in front of him, two familiar scents immediately caught his nose. It was the scents of Zilean and Ivern. However, there was another scent that Rengar was able to discern from amongst them all.

“Rengar!” Zecora called out from besides Ivern.

The lion immediately ran over and knelt down in front of her, “It is good to see you alive, Zecora. I’m sorry that you had to become a victim of that monster.”

“I do not care, and that matters not. What matters is that you have stopped the beast and the destruction it would have wrought.” Zecora shook her head, “By the ancestors… your sight… maybe I can fix it, so you can see more than white.”

Rengar shook his head, “I’m afraid not. It was done by Kha’zix’s energy blades. It may be beyond repair from anything now.”

“Well… I have to hand it to you, Rengar. I may not be too keen on hunters like yourself, but stopping Kha’zix? That must have taken quite the feat of strength and skill.” Ivern patted a prism fox that he had just revived.

“Actually… Fluttershy landed the killing strike. She saved me from his clutches.” Rengar revealed.

“That little pony…? My my, I think she should become a champion instead of you! Oh- hoh hoh hoh!” Zilean laughed as he rewinded the destruction of the forest. Rengar couldn’t help but chuckle under his breath at that too.

Then, the hunter heard more voices come from his left.

Lamb! Do you smell that?

“I don’t have a nose like you, Wolf.”

Rengar turned towards the voices that were unmistakingly Lamb and Wolf.

Little Lamb! It’s the Pridestalker!” Wolf snarled with happiness, a first in a long time.

“So it is…” Lamb coed as she pranced towards the group of champions.

“Oh, Kindred! Woken up from your slumber, have you?” Zilean floated over towards the two spiritkin.

Yes! And I’m hungry again! When can I eat-” Wolf was silenced by Lamb holding his mouth together, earning muffled growls from the muzzle.

“We’re forever in your debt, League champions. We thank you dearly for reviving us.” Lamb nodded her head, “Even if some of us aren’t showing the proper gratitude.”

Wolf kept silent.

“Rengar, what has happened to Kha’zix? Dead, I must assume if the champions are here.” Lamb asked, to which Rengar nodded his head.

No fair! I was going to devour that insect!” Wolf snarled and levitated around Lamb’s form.

“Well, we need no thanks for our work. However, I do come bearing a message from Summoner Tiberius. He is asking you two if you are willing to join the League of Legends. We always welcome new champions.” Zilean spoke, but then murmured something under his breath, “A lamb and a wolf… at least it isn’t a stupid armored bear this time…”

“The League of Legends? I think we would be honored to join. Right, Wolf?” Lamb looked up at her companion.

The League?! So much to chase down! What fun!” Wolf gleefully growled.


The flap of a tent was lifted by a Canterlot guard when Rengar approached.

“Thank you.” he spoke as he headed inside., “Shining Armor? Are you here? I… can’t see too well now.”

Rengar heard the shuffling of bedsheets and the groaning coming from a pained side, “Yeah, I’m right here. What happened to your eyes, Rengar?”

“Thank Kha’zix for that. But forget about it. I came to check on how you were doing.” Rengar knelt down beside the bed.

“My side is killing me. Is Twily okay?” Shining Armor immediately asked.

“Twilight? Yes, Fluttershy had told me that she and her friends have been revived.” Rengar nodded.

“Thank Celestia…” Shining Armor muttered under his breath. After saying that, the flap of the tent opened again.

“Honey, I brought you another-” the pony in front of Rengar dropped a bowl of leafy greens on the ground in shock.

“C-Cadence! It’s okay! He’s Rengar! Remember the lion I was talking to you about?” Shining Armor held out his arms.

“Oh no… please forgive me. I’m not accustomed to seeing such a big lion like yourself around here.” the pony, and on closer inspection from the amount of mana coming off of her, a unicorn spoke up again, “I’m Mi Amore Cadenza, Princess of the Crystal Kingdoms. But you can just call me Cadence.”

“Princess? Ah, you must be an alicorn, then.” Rengar nodded, “I apologise. I’m a bit sight-impaired for now.”

The princess began to fuss around the dropped bowl of lettuce, “Heh… whoops. Shiny, I’m going to get another bowl of lettuce for you.”

When she exited the tent, Shining chuckled, “The longer I don’t have to eat another salad, the better. Tired of eating healthy to recover.”

Rengar gave a slight smile back, “That’s why I’m never getting a mate. But aside from that, the summoners are here, and they are now registering those on Equestria to represent the nation in the League.”

“They’re here now? Damnit! I need to become a champion!” Shining was about to rise up from the bed, but Rengar held out his paw.

“Don’t get up. I can relay the request to the summoners if you still want to join the League of Legends.” Rengar affirmed Shining Armor.

“Do I have to answer that question? I want to represent the entirety of Equestria with all of my heart. Whatever it takes, I want to become a champion.” Shining Armor spoke up.

“Wait, what?”

The flap of the tent had been opened, and Cadence was standing in the entrance.

“The League of Legends…?” Cadence trotted over, judging whatever she had heard was true, “Shiny, absolutely not. I’m not going to watch you get killed over and over again in some battleground.”

Rengar then looked at the two, “I’m… going to leave you two to discuss.”

When he exited the tent, he could feel Shining Armor’s desperation claw at his back, wanting him to back him up.

“Honey, I have to do this. I can finally have a chance to represent my home, and the entire county. I can represent the Crystal Kingdoms against all of these other great nations.” Shining Armor replied back.

“I don’t care about any of that. All I care about is that you’re still at my side for all of these years to come.” Cadence held his chin in her hoof.

“I know, and I can do that. But you have to know that I’m a captain of the Royal Guard. It’s my duty to fight for what’s right. That’s why I fought against Golden Might and his mercenaries, or they would have torn our country apart with their forces.” Shining Armor took her hoof.

“Honey, if I fight, there will be no more wars for Equestria. I won’t die forever in there, and maybe… if I win, maybe the summoners could grant me immortality to be with you forever.” Shining brushed her hoof.

“But at what pain and cost will that come with?” Cadence asked back.


When Rengar had exited out of the tent, he could sense a massive plume of magic before him, familiar magic at that.

“Tiberius, is that you?”

The summoner nodded, “Ah, perhaps your blindness will not inhibit you as greatly as I have thought.”

Rengar chuckled a bit, “It’s still a massive handicap, and I want to talk to you about it.”

Tiberius got to the point, “Rengar, I want you to know that I want you to see again. Who knows how you will perform.”

“Perform? What are you going on about?” Rengar asked.

Tiberius sighed.

“Rengar, I want to restore your blindness, I really do, but when the League of Legends takes in a new champion, in this case, you as you are right now, we cannot make alterations. If that were not the case, Lee Sin would not be blind, and perhaps we could do some alteration to Sion’s state of mind. Perhaps find a cure for Warwick’s condition.” Tiberius started.

“Are you telling me that you’re going to keep me blind as some sort of publicity hook?!” Rengar now roared his words, “I should have known to never trust your accursed institution again!”

“Now, now, calm down. Perhaps we can arrange a deal. We’ve never done this before, but how about… if you win Equestria’s administration match, then I can restore your sight. Maybe even give you your other eye back as well.” Tiberius spoke, “Best if you do not mention this to the other summoners. Altering our champions is prohibited.”

“And why are you helping me? Why not just give me my sight back now? And why should I put any ounce of trust into you?” Rengar asked.

“Because the League will think that your blindness will build character. But maybe, I can fix you up. I’m your only hope for your sight, Rengar.” Tiberius answered back.

Rengar held his stance firmly and looked over Tiberius with his senses. His body looked up towards him, and he smelt no sign of distress.

“I want you to fix Fluttershy’s wings as well. That’s a priority over my sight.” Rengar demanded.

“The pony? Well… do you want your eyesight, or your friend’s wings restored?” Tiberius gave a smile, knowing that Rengar couldn’t sense that finely to detect it.

“You’re blackmailing me for wins, now.” Rengar growled.

“If you choose to believe that, then who am I to judge you? This is just how the League does its business.” Tiberius spoke back.

“Odd. Not even the League of Legends has stooped as low as you.”

At this, Rengar had turned his back and started to walk off. When he had gotten a fair distance away from the summoner, he could hear a voice call back to him:

“Remember, Pridestalker! I am your only hope to becoming whole again!”

Rengar felt the Hunting Knife on his side.

“I’ll show you how it feels to not be ‘whole’, summoner.”

Rengar wasn’t serious, but he wish he could have been about that statement. This was one of the reasons he hated the summoners. Always argumentative, uncooperative, and selfish.

At least that Allan fellow seemed to defy that a bit.


“Are you sure…?” Cadence held her hooves onto Shining Armor’s shoulders, to which he nodded and replied.

“Yes. I am. And I’ll fight through everything just to see all of Equestria safe.” Shining Armor kissed his wife as he took the scroll from Allan.

“I know it must be a difficult decision for you, but I can assure you, becoming a League of Legends Champion will be the highest honor and grandest duty you will ever receive. I’ll root for you in every single match I can see you in.” Allan smiled and shook his hoof.

As he exited the tent to leave Shining and Cadence to still speak, he looked around the town of Ponyville. The summoners’ and Zilean's efforts to restore the village had been a large success, as some of the former citizens were even walking around the town and helping rebuild what Kha’zix had wrought.

Allan could feel a warm, and cold presence approach him from behind. A few of the ponies looked passed his shoulder, and began to head away from the summoner.

Turning around, he was met by a glowing white lamb and a hazy as night entity of a wolf, both wearing opposing colored masks.

“You must be a summoner. It is a pleasure to meet one of the beings who can bring back those whose times are yet to be up for the reaping.” Lamb coed with her soft voice.

Maybe you could have gotten here a bit sooner!” Wolf licked his lips.

“Don’t be rude to this mage, Wolf.” Lamb hushed him softly, “Rengar has told us a lot about you.”

And that balloon, Bard!” Wolf pointed out as well.

Allan nodded and smiled, “Hopefully good things, I can imagine. I am now tasked to start recruitment for those champions wishing to represent Equestria.”

Lamb then looked over to Wolf.

“Well, this is our chance, dear Wolf.” Lamb then turned to Allan, “Zilean had informed us already about your duty to seek out champions. We would be greatful to become a part of the League.”

Allan’s eyes suddenly brightened up. He had recruited two… not, three entire champions, even getting Rengar back on board in only one day. If this wouldn’t please his master, then he wouldn’t know what would. To think that he was a former orphan in Zaun. Allan wondered what his old friend Ekko would be thinking of him now.

“Well, I shall be making preparations for the transition to Runeterra, and including our new champions. As such, I shall deliver the invitation for Summoner status to the princesses.”

Right as Allan had finished speaking, another pony came up to him, as well as being dragged back by another one.

“Wait! Wait!” Rainbow Dash flailed a hoof towards Allan, “Stop! I want to-”

“No, you don’t!” Twilight struggled to hold back Rainbow Dash’s immense athletic might from reaching the group.

Around this time, Rengar had returned to where Allan and Shining Armor were discussing the inclusion of new champions, only to hear the raspy voice of that pegasus start to fill his ears.

“What is going on?” Rengar turned his head towards the voices.

“I wanna join! I want to join the League of-”

“No! Stop it, Rainbow! You don’t know anything about this “League”, nor have you actually seen what kind of fighting goes on in there!” Twilight argued back.

“Oh please, like you’ve seen anything.” Rainbow Dash pulled herself free of Twilight.

“Actually, yes. I have, and that’s precisely the reason why-”

“But even your brother is joining!” Rainbow Dash threw her arms towards Shining Armor, who slunk further down onto his bed.

“He’s a soldier, Rainbow! And… it’s painful for me too, but he’s qualified for this!” Twilight pointed out.

Then, Rengar spoke up, “Trust me, as much as I would never want to be on the same side as Rainbow Dash, she has potential that I have seen.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed at Rengar, “You can’t be serious! Can’t you see that Rainbow Dash is… you know.” She kept circling her hoof, earning a displeased look from Rainbow Dash.

“Undisciplined?” Rengar asked, chuckling a bit.

“Yeah, undisciplined. And this isn’t a laughing matter!” Twilight fumed.

“Listen to me, I am a veteran of the League, holding many years under my belt, as well as the experience that comes with it. But right now, this isn’t about just the League, this is about Equestria getting the support from the League that it needs and deserves. Look around you, land is being left uncontrolled and contested, your military strength is at an all time low, and now that the Elements are gone, we all need this support.” Rengar started.

“We need all the champions we can get to carry your nation’s banner. Shining Armor, Kindred, me, and now Rainbow Dash. That can be enough to participate in an administration match for the League, but we also need Summoners as well.” Rengar then looked to Twilight, “I know that you’ve seen a League match. Celestia had told me so, and thus you have seen the violence that occurs. But please note that no champion will ever die in the League’s care outside of a match. But with us becoming champions, we need summoners.”

Allan then bit his lip, then walked towards Twilight nervously, “We want you to become one of Equestria’s summoners.”

Then, Twilight looked around everyone, and everypony.

“Me? But… no. I can’t.” Twilight shook her head, “I… a summoner leads the champions into fighting, right?”

“And is also responsible for keeping them safe. Twilight, you have quite the strong mind, and you would be perfect to lead us.” Rengar spoke, “We need all of the help we can get in this time of crisis.”

Twilight looked around, her mind leaping back and forth towards her own defenses, and back to the betterment for her friends and nation.

“Twilight, even if an egghead like you were in charge of me, I trust that you would be an awesome… what were they again?”

“Summoners.” Allan rolled his eyes under his cloak.


A raven flew through the corridors of the massive sprawling castle that rested atop the mountain that overlooked the mighty nation of Noxus, unparalleled in military might. As the guards and personnel went their own ways, they made sure not to get in the way of the bird, knowing the punishment that would happen to them if they did so much as startle it.

Cawing once, it flew into a specially built tunnel carved into the walls, straight into the heart of the stronghold. Exiting out of the passageway, its six glowing eyes rested on a man looking over a table, floating various plans of attack and military strategy around him.

The raven squawked, then landed on his shoulder, preening itself.

Swain looked at his shoulder, and gently stroked the bird’s head. He then pointed to a guard, “You, my bird is hungry. Get it some food, now.”

The guard complied, and rushed off without delaying a second.

Looking over the plans, Swain rested down on his chair.

“The rest of you, get out.”

The guards left without a word, and through the door that had been opened, came an armored man, carrying a gigantic battleaxe.

“General Swain, I am here to report that the latest battle on Summoner’s Rift has been a victory. We now have control of the blackrock mines south of Demacia.” Darius reported to the general.

“Good work, captain. Those hidden ores deeper within those tunnels will serve the greatest purpose of all: to fuel Noxus’s might.” Swain turned towards Darius, “However, there is something else that has just been brought to my attention. Something quite new.”

Darius placed his axe on a rack located in a side of the room, “What would that be?”

Swain then took a scroll from his robe, “There is another nation joining the League.”

Darius chuckled, “Another nation? What kind of insignificant place is there left on Runeterra? All of the major nations are within the League already.”

“Oh no, this nation isn’t from Runeterra. It’s from another world. A nation called ‘Equestria’.” Swain read the name on the scroll.

“Equestria? What kind of a name is that?” Darius scoffed, “What kind of champions are they bringing?” Darius was now feeling the edge of his axe with two pinched fingers.

Swain then looked over the new champion roster, “Spiritkin, and… ponies.”

“Ponies? Hah! This has to be a joke!” Darius mounted his axe over his shoulder.

“We have yet to see these champions in action. The reason that I am telling you this is because we are the first nation that they are going to battle against, coming from Summoner Tiberius.” Swain looked over the scroll again, “Darius, you are not to underestimate them. Do you remember your first match against Teemo from Bandle City?”

Darius’s cocky expression immediately died, “Yordles are one thing. But these ‘ponies’? They probably won’t even come close to what those Yordles are capable of. Especially Kled himself.”

A guard returned with food for Swain’s raven, and then was shooed away, “That reminds me. I’ve already filled out Noxus’s roster for this upcoming match.”

Swain handed Darius the scroll.

TOP LANE: DARIUS

MID LANE: LEBLANC

JUNGLE: WARWICK

MARKSMAN: DRAVEN

SUPPORT: MORGANA


“Hmph. Guess I have to fight with my low-life brother, again.” Darius read over the name, “Draven”

“You two are always at odds, aren’t you.” Swain commented as he fed his bird again, “Should any of these champions be banned, I can always fill in some mercenary champions, but due to this being an administration match, I doubt there will be many restrictions.”

“You chose LeBlanc?” Darius looked from the scroll.

“That will be the last time that you will question my orders today, captain. Now get Warwick out of his lab, and find your brother. I’ll contact LeBlanc and Morgana.” Swain then turned back around in his chair, and got back to analysing the various blueprints and papers.

“Yes, general.” Darius left the chambers. The amount of hate he had for this old man was unrivaled by anything else.

“One day, I will be general, Swain. And that bird’s going to be cooked and become my first meal in your position.” Darius walked through the chambers of the Noxian Stronghold.