• Published 7th Jan 2018
  • 4,027 Views, 225 Comments

Opening Celestia's Heart - Knight of Cerebus



Celestia reconnects with her attachment to the Elements of Harmony with the help of Twilight and her friends

  • ...
12
 225
 4,027

Chapter 5

It was rare that Luna peered into Celestia's dreams. One too many encounters with Nightmare Moon had taught her that her sister's dreams were not a place she was welcome. But she needed to do this. And, while still insulting, this dream was at least more pleasant than the night-terrors that had driven her from Celestia's dreams to begin with. The woods she was travelling through seemed typical of the set that would crop up in Celestia's dreams. Dark, winding and filled with places she, the villain, could ambush Celestia from. But this time, the narrative was different. Celestia was not alone.

A procession of ponies patrolled through the woods proudly. Some of them Luna recognized, some of them she did not. A jaunty tune carried on a flute played by...Rarity, was the white unicorn with the gem flanks?...cut through the forest, following the ponies' progress and setting the speed of their march. The ones at the front, a pair of green and orange (that one was "Applejack", she recalled) earth ponies, carried torches that cut through the Everfree. With every sweep of a torch, waves of light formed that swept away the corrupting darkness.

Lunar flowers and thorn-coated trees warped by the Nightmare's black magic wilted away under the harsh sun, replaced by rolling fields of golden wheat and farmhouses overlooking lush orchards. In the back a pink earth pony, Pinkie Pie, would ring a set of large bells and pull funny faces any time one of the Everfree's monsters made to attack. All of this directed by the shrill, nasally voice of Luna's own archrival, who dictated this devastation of her domain in accordance with one of her trademark checklists.

The danger and cruelty of the night was chased away, and in its place ponies frolicked in the safety of the day. Bats were replaced by butterflies and mushrooms by flowers wherever ponies dared travel. As if the creatures of the night had less right to life. As if they could not be enjoyed on their own merits. It was only once all trace of the nightmarish night had been removed that communities began to grow.

Ponies would group up, touch noses and close their eyes, and around them would form buildings, attracted to their harmony like magnets. Bricks, mortar and wooden planks would fly from patches of earth and groves of trees, forming themselves piece by piece around the ponies until at last a roof would fall into place tile by tile over their heads. The green stranger met a golden one and formed a farmyard. Around it formed boutiques and cottages and bakeries. And libraries.

Cursed libraries. Luna rolled her eyes and flicked her tail. This exactly was why she was here. She made ready to announce her presence, but it was then that she saw her replacement approaching Celestia's side. She remained in her hiding place. Perhaps more evidence of her systematic neglect would make itself clear yet. Celestia leaned down and touched her purple puppy dog's nose, and together they created that hideous castle of shining crystal. At least it had not been the Castle of the Two Sisters.

Twilight Sparkle. The purpose of her journey. Once she had called the mare friend. Twilight had been the first to accept her after her return. Had helped her to find new friends, find a niche in modern Equestria and a hope at the acceptance she had never had when she had last been free to walk among other ponies. It would have been charming. Sweet. Were it not another way to get nestled further into her sister's embrace. Push Luna further into the margins.

Luna snorted. She hadn't truly noticed what was happening to her until shortly after Tirek's defeat. Until Celestia had made journey after journey to Ponyville to visit Twilight more and more, and in turn spoken to her less and less, made less and less time for Luna's own clumsy attempts at blossoming into her own mare. And then she had started to put the pieces together.

Celestia had snubbed Luna's aim to save the Crystal Empire, culling any attempt at redemption Luna may have found there so that Twilight might find glory and adoration amongst the Crystal subjects instead. And just as Luna had begun to return to her duties, had a chance to show other ponies what an alicorn other than Celestia could do, Celestia had pasted wings onto the twenty-something unicorn's back and called her a Princess.

Worse, she'd been granted far more than Luna herself. Was treated with far more fanfare. She had a castle all her own, her own domain out in the wide sunlit world, while Luna had been forced back into the shadows once more. She held the prize place by Celestia's right side that someone else had once enjoyed. Luna narrowed her eyes, walking towards the castle and raising up a hoof to knock on the door.

Now Luna had the evidence she needed. When she had come to Celestia before the mare had steered the conversation away from Twilight. Asked about Luna's dream magic. Any attempts to talk ill of her were smoothed over with examples of Twilight's successes. Successes that should have been Luna's own, that had been arranged by Celestia from the start, but successes nonetheless.

But now Luna could show Celestia the reality of Twilight Sparkle. That she desired things from Celestia that even Celestia would have the good grace to realize were wrong. Was sick in ways Celestia would see were dangerous to her kingdom. Was a threat that Luna did not pose, had used them both and would do so again to appease the darker corners of her mind. She did her best to ignore the shadow she cast upon the glittering home in the brutal sunlight, tapping her hoof against the cheery, shimmering door.

Celestia opened the door. She didn't even have the good grace to banish the image of Luna's replacement, which remained proudly at Celestia's side like the loyal dog she was. But at least she had the grace to smile like nothing was wrong. "Luna! What brings you here!'

"Somepony had a good day." Luna's instinct was to produce a bitter leer, but she forced the muscles in her face to form a wry smile instead.

"I did, thank you." Celestia beckoned her in with a wing. "Would you like to enter?" With all the small miracles she had enjoyed to that point, Celestia actually dared to hope they might talk amiably. That she might not be asked to feel ashamed of the source of her happiness.

Luna's smile faltered. "That is...why I am here, actually. I...have concerns about you."

Celestia's grin also faltered, the hope she'd held for a friendly conversation dying on her face. She hadn't had a civil conversation with Luna since she'd begun her relationship with Twilight. She rather missed her sister. But this was her rival, not her family, that had come to visit once again. Come to request some concession of her regarding her Twilight once again. Two reactions clashed within her head whenever her darker counterpart arrived in this sort of state. In the end politeness always won out. "How may I help you?"

"We need to talk." Luna flicked her gaze down at the Twilight by her side. Celestia stretched a wing over the dreamscape version of her beloved alicorn, stepping ever so slightly between her and Luna.

"We are talking." Celestia laid out the framework carefully. Conversations with an anguished Luna, like conversations with stubborn politicians, were affairs of the mind and not of the heart. Celestia held a breath, readying to make the first move.

The game went like this. Luna would come to her with some emotional need Celestia had neglected, disguised as some failing of Celestia's. Luna would attack her insecurities in the hopes of convincing her to bend to her will. She would be unduly harsh and blunt and force Celestia to agree with her on the smaller issue Luna was currently wrapped up in. This would placate her until another inadequacy cropped up and Luna returned to demonize her once again. It was effectively a ransom, and if she could not guess what was on the table, if Luna gained enough momentum in her accusations, Celestia would have to concede to Luna's wish.

That was if all played out without Celestia's interference. Force Luna to show her true intent and she could reason with her. Be candid or clever and Luna's frustrations would reveal themselves. From there she could catch the building emotions in the act of erupting and defuse them with some kind words, a reasonable offer of her own. Something sisterly. The conflict, then, was whether Celestia could stall Luna long enough to guess her true intentions. How well Celestia knew Luna's feelings on the issue, how long she could stretch out their talk in hopes of identifying them, these were the factors that determined the skirmish.

"No, we are exchanging platitudes. We need to talk." Luna stomped a hoof to emphasize her point. Celestia hid a forming smile. Luna's teeth grit.

The game went like this. Luna would observe some injustice inherent in Celestia and her philosophy and bring it to her attention. Celestia would deny it or offer halfhearted counter-measures. She would smooth over Luna's problems and marginalize her voice. Luna would then bring up how this particular affront connected to the wider picture, and how it mattered to Celestia's subjects. From there she could use Celestia's desire to appease ponies that were not Luna herself to negotiate a small allowance of empathy towards her. This would be enough consideration to appease her, until eventually Celestia again forgot about her needs and she was forced to return.

That was if all played out without Celestia's interference. If she caught Luna with one of her own inadequacies, if she could trap Luna in a prison of her own making, Celestia could slip through Luna's hooves and force her to acknowledge yet another of the ways in which she was the inferior sister. From there she would leave Luna with an offer of peace, which Luna would accept out of shame. She would leave with a halfhearted smile, leaving Luna the more empty and broken for it. The conflict, then, was whose shame would reveal itself first. Which pony would yield to their failings, which sense of loss could be dredged further up, these were the factors that determined the skirmish.

"I am listening." Celestia said this as if it were the most self-evident thing in the entirety of Equestria. Luna gave a mighty groan.

"Fine. I will just show you." Luna, having long since lost patience with her sister's pleasant falsehoods, carved a hole in Celestia's dream and beckoned her forward. "Come."

"I am not inclined to share in another's dreams, Luna. I would not violate their privacy or your realm." Luna fought down a barking laugh. Would not violate another's dreams, Celestia said. Not unless they were dreams of being a better pony, right, sister?

"I assure you that this particular dreamer would jump at the chance to have you in her mind." Luna did not stop the toxic smirk this time. "Now come. Or shall we have this conversation at the Royal Summit?"

"Fine." Celestia tried to keep her voice even. Luna would drag onlookers into this. She followed Luna into the foreign dream.

Around them was a tattered village. Thatched roofs and stone walls with holes for windows. Carts lying abandoned in the street. Ponies watching them with eerie smiles that stretched across their cheeks but never reached their eyes. Every one of them had a Cutie Mark in the shape of an equal sign. Celestia took note of it all. Strange to say the least. Luna's princessly parade led them to a small, stocky building on the far end of town. This one's walls were thicker stone, its door reinforced with heavier wood, and its windows shut with heavy bolted locks that did not exist on any of the others.

"A prison?" Celestia looked at Luna. "Luna...where is Twilight right now?"

Luna waved a wing. "'Tis not important to our conversation. Somewhere peaceful enough to sleep, presumably. And peaceful enough to make a mockery of you."

"Lulu, where is Twilight right now?" Celestia fought down the panic in her voice. "She said she would keep in touch."

She beckoned Celestia over to the window. "Come, see for yourself."

Celestia grit her teeth behind her smiling lips, mind taking in the town more closely now. If Twilight was in danger, if Luna truly felt no concern for that...Celestia tossed aside any concern she may have felt for Luna's argument before. She focused on her surroundings. Focused on figuring out how to help Twilight, since it was clear Luna would not. She soaked in the village more closely now. The climate suggested near the Crystal Empire. The make of the houses suggested border town. She needed some kind of identifier, some kind of landmark...Her thoughts were rudely interrupted by Luna jabbing her with a wing, then pointing it towards Twilight herself.

The little alicorn was nestled in between her wings, their horns crossed closely. The dream Celestia leaned in to whisper into Twilight's ear. "You are intelligent and resourceful. You can find a way out of this. You know better than to lose hope in moments like this. You will overcome."

Emotions swarmed up in Celestia's chest. Love was first. A wood-stove warmth in her core that glowed at being Twilight's voice of strength and reason. Pride next. Twilight was a mare of doubts and distress, and to see her believing in herself gave Celestia hope for a future where Twilight would finally find the confidence and peace of mind she truly deserved. And then, as last, worry rushed in.

For Twilight and for her. Twilight, for it was clear she was in danger and Luna still refused to disclose as to how. Her, for the stress of Twilight's situation had revealed things she was not ready for Luna to see. Things she was still grappling with herself. Luna's scornful eyes were a chilled wind smothering the glowing coals in her heart. She looked away.

"I do not see how this is so terrible." Celestia said at last.

Luna gestured between her and Twilight with an open mouth. "Does it not bother you to see yourself reduced to a caricature? Some kind of safety blanket?"

"Is that truly what you see?" Celestia shut her eyes and bowed her head. Luna continued.

"I see a mockery of you and your values. I see an entitled desire for affection that insults your dignity." Luna raised an eyebrow at her sister's demeanor. "But enough of what I see. What do you see?"

"I see that a pony I care about cares strongly about me also." Celestia held her wings close to her sides.

"And in a way that you approve of? Is this truly how you see yourself and your ex-student?" Luna moved closer, standing tall over Celestia.

"Twilight is her own mare, of age and matured. Her desires are not mine to judge." Celestia looked over at Twilight's vision.

"That was not an answer to my question."

"Is it really so terrible a thing for her to feel?" Celestia studied their locked horns, reminiscing on that first evening together and the magic that had flown between them. "When did love become a crime in the kingdom of Equestria?"

"Stars above, Tia! Answer the question!" Luna tossed her head, wings flitting at her sides. "It disgusts you as much as it does me. Just admit that much and we can discuss what to do about this silly crush and your growing co-dependence!"

"Yes." Celestia whispered, hugging her wings to herself.

"Good. Now, we--"

"Yes. I do approve." Celestia pulled herself up, ignoring the dry feeling in her mouth and the pressure building behind her eyes. "I approve and I share."

Luna took a step back, jaw falling open.

"She and I have reinterpreted our feelings recently. It is why we have seen more of each other of late." Celestia brought herself back to composure, her glance staying even. But still she could not stop the chilly feeling of something smothering her inner hearth every time she chanced a look at Luna's disbelieving stare. "We have been working towards a point where we were comfortable with sharing." Celestia sighed. "Of course, we did not know you would be so keen to--"

"Pry the truth from you?" Luna looked on her with pity. "Oh, sister. Is this how desperate you were without me?"

"Desperation has nothing to do with it." Celestia flicked her wing out absently. "This decision was made long after your return, long after Twilight's ascension and crowning. It was made by two consenting adults, and you insult us both to imply otherwise."

"It is not simply that." Luna shook her head and began to stalk away from the debauchery. "There is much else I have to show you. There are things about that mare you do not know."

"It is fortunate, then, that you stumbled across this unchecked danger so swiftly. And that you came to me before her. I can only imagine the consequences had you talked to the mare in question about your concern for her." Luna frowned, marching on without acknowledging the jab.

"She is not fit to have such things discussed before her." Celestia's eyes narrowed for a moment. Luna did not notice. Luna moved away from Twilight and towards the evidence of her own righteousness. "You will see."

A fluffy white bed with a set of pillows in the patterns of ovular white pills lay hidden amongst the branches of a particularly dark grove of trees not far from the village outskirts. Celestia noted the train tracks in the distance, how they reached to a station and then abruptly stopped. Wherever Twilight was trapped, it was at the end of the reach of the trains. That was a concrete location she could teleport to. Luna interrupted her with a cough. In the midst of the fluffy bedding was a grey button-eyed Raggedy Ann with curly black yarn for hair. Its head slouched to one side, featureless eyes watching the duo of alicorns without seeing them. Luna gave a shudder.

"This is why I did not share my concerns with Twilight Sparkle. Do not touch the doll." Luna walked to one side of the copse of trees without even so much as giving it a glance, her brow furrowed and her shoulders tensed. She gestured to it.

"You mean Smarty Pants?" Celestia looked over at it. "She may seem rough around the edges, but she can grow on you if given the chance. I think she's rather cute myself." She walked over to inspect it. The faint echo of laughter and the sound of quills scribbling reached her ears.

"Do not touch the doll. Listen to its whispers and you will learn the source of my scorn." Luna's wings were rigid at her side, her head lowered to level her horn at the filly's toy. She began to march herself towards the Raggedy Ann. Celestia reached out a hoof and scooped it up, shielding it away from Luna's advances instinctively. Luna reached out a hoof. "Sister--"

The cause of Luna's fear became immediately apparent upon Celestia's skin touching Smarty Pants' own. The doll latched onto her like a parasite. A maniacal panic began to beat itself against her mind. Mad laughter and the sounds of her own enraged voice filled Celestia's ears. Her sight swam with admonishments written in red ink and blurry visions of Twilight's friends in tears, of Twilight herself crumpled in a neurotic mess of cowlicks and overwide smiles. A thousand flittering thoughts threatened to swallow her up and suck her into the doll's mad realm of terrors and shames. Another pony would have been captured by the whirling vortex of insanity. But these terrors were no more alien to Celestia than the shadows of her own heart. She stroked the grasping, cackling creature.

"Shhhh." The mental assault broke against the waves of calm Celestia projected. "I've seen all this before. I forgave you then and forgive you now." The dark anxieties hidden within the dream began to fizzle away. The grasping embrace grew warm and gentle at her words. Celestia gave the doll a kiss on the forehead. It flopped down, head leaning itself against her cheek and thoughts turning to resolution and pride. Celestia nuzzled it back. "You are better than you will ever know, even in these moments. Remember I have always believed that." The doll dissolved itself into cartoonish hearts that flapped away in the breeze, the hurricane of anxieties and inadequacies replaced with a calm breeze of trust.

"That was a Tantabus!" Luna hissed, recoiling at its sudden transformation. "I spent three hours and half my magic reserves trying to vanquish it! How in the name of Equestria did you do that?!"

Celestia shrugged. "You do not know Twilight Sparkle like I do. We can discuss it later. For now, you had concerns you wished to air, and apparently needed to violate my closest friend's trust in order to do so."

"Nay, sister. This ties altogether too well into what we need to speak of. Do you not see how dangerous this mare's mind is?!" Celestia's entire body tensed, and Luna only retroactively sensed the line she'd crossed. She tried an appeal to empathy. "That...that is to say, how unstable her ties to you are, and how them going awry could damage you?" Luna did her best to ignore Celestia's glare. The cold iron lance that was Celestia's look of contempt was one she had learned to deflect long ago. What she took from it instead was that her words rung of some truth.

"Given the truly incredible ignorance you have displayed thus far, I suspect I know far better than you." Celestia flicked a wing at her and turned away.

"Ignorance, sister? In what ways?" Luna pressed her advantage. Then froze. Celestia was smirking. Luna had walked into a trap.

"Firstly, the being I 'vanquished' is not a Tantabus. Although similar in machinations, Twilight's tormentor was not created by another pony and cannot be destroyed." Celestia opened her wings to cup some of the swarming hearts. "Ergo, secondly, I did not 'vanquish' it at all. I merely calmed it for the moment. Battling it makes it stronger. Embracing it weakens it. But it cannot be killed. The form you have found it in is Twilight's best attempt to tame it." Celestia turned to fully face Luna. "It can be difficult to trust one with a troubled conscience with large-scale decisions, especially if they have harmed you in the past." And gave Luna a gentle smile. "But, with effort, you can find that such trust can be rewarded."

Luna ignored the distraction. "This has been inside Twilight for how long?"

"Since she was born, I imagine. As long as I have known her at least, though it grows and shrinks in size."

"It was worse before?" Luna paled.

"And far louder, yes. It was at its worst not long after Discord's escape and has grown much weaker ever since her trial in the Crystal Empire." Luna tensed at the mention, gritting her teeth. "Cadance and I have worked for years to help Twilight tame it." She chuckled a little. "And of course Spike. He helps more than I think he realizes."

Luna blinked. "How? None of you can walk dreams."

"In the waking world. I admit I had never interacted with it physically before." Celestia smiled. "The experience was rather refreshing." The little hearts swarmed themselves around her, tickling under her chin and her wings. She giggled at their touch. "There, is that what was troubling you? Yes, there are parts of Twilight's mind that are troubled by obsession and driven by compulsion. No, she made no move to hide them from me. Part of why she loves me is that I accept her for what she is." Celestia's gaze hardened. "And before you get another silly idea in your head, yes, Twilight is aware of my own shortcomings and yes, she accepts them for what they are, too."

Luna chewed the inside of her cheeks.

"And speaking of Spike, if we are done speaking of Twilight, it would be nice if you might spend some time getting to know him. He is your nephew, after all." Luna rolled her eyes and opened her mouth again.

"You're changing topics."

"I thought we'd said all that needed to be said about Twilight. I thought I might be able to speak about others you may enjoy the company of, since you seem to at last be showing interest in your fellow family members..."

"Perhaps I have been remiss in that regard."

"You could also talk with Cadance, and her husband, also a member of the Sparkle household." Celestia chuckled. "Perhaps you might glean what it is about them that is so magical from speaking with her."

Luna rolled her eyes and snorted. "Thus far all I have learned is that they are neurotic and unreliable."

"Would it hurt so much to laugh once in a while, Lulu?" Celestia looked past her, then blinked and refocused her gaze upon Luna's blank obsidian peytral.

"I have been given little to laugh about of late." Luna crossed her hooves over the piece of jewelry, folding her wings to her side.

"Some things in life must be found rather than given. And even gifts must be accepted." Celestia ran a hoof over the gems set in her neck. "You really should meet Cadance properly, you know. I think you would like her, if you were to speak. Play a game with her, show up with a deck of cards and show her some tricks." Celestia's voice did not change, but she felt herself shrinking away from her sister. "You used to love that."

"I still do, sister. But I must address some things first."

"Spike, then? Maybe I could bring you to Sweet Apple Acres some time. I know you've been speaking with Apple Bloom. She requested somepony to teach her and she could use a tutor."

"Spend more time around the palace, then." Luna countered.

"I already work and sleep there, Luna. What more do you want from me?"

"Some time alone would be nice." Luna huffed.

"Like tonight?" Celestia drew away again. Luna stiffened. Celestia looked up, that same false smile on her face again. "Come with me to see somepony. Rarity, perhaps. She would love to see another royal. She was sad to miss you last Nightmare Night. Or perhaps you could introduce me to a friend."

"I have not the time to make friends, sister. Once you could claim the same. But that mare has done things to you. Changed you in ways unfit for a Princess of Equestria." Celestia stepped back, her gentle smile wavering. But then it found its footing again.

"You're right. Spending time with Twilight has changed me. But you are also wrong. Equestria is a land of friendship and compassion. Of honesty and generosity. Things I have been sorely lacking. Things I have relearned about myself." Celestia touched her collar. "Things you can learn, too. Maybe not from me. But from somepony."

"Perhaps I'd have the time for that if I too had crowned some other mare to do my job for me." Luna huffed, rolling her eyes.

"Do not confuse Twilight's actions for my own. I gave her nothing but a title to go with her wings. She discovered and completed Starswirl's final spell. She found access to the magic powerful enough to become an alicorn. She found the harmony necessary to earn the change. She took on a kingdom of her own choice and jumped at duties once assigned to me. These were choices I consulted you personally on, in a time when you were still thinking of Twilight's growth and life objectively."

Luna ignored the barb, going for the heart of the matter again. "And you gave her that book just so she could study Starswirl's magic, yes? There were no indications you expected anything more?"

"I expected her to wish to better herself. Spells can be undone, Luna. Every unicorn knows that. If Twilight was unhappy with her choice to repair the spell she could have returned to who she was. If our subjects disliked the change, they showed it in a strange way. But that is what our subjects wish for. Harmony and celebration. That is what Twilight wishes for. She chooses not to stay anchored in the past. She chooses to dream of a better tomorrow. And now, so do I." Celestia's gaze grew distant again, her smile growing smaller and more gentle still. Luna seized the chance.

Something was building in Celestia. The final push in the game was set. And then Celestia threw a curve ball. She gave a distant sigh, and some foreign expression drifted across her face. "Can't you just be happy for me?"

"Sister...I am worried for you. You must understand that." Luna made another allowance. Stick to the script. She's about to relent. Celestia sighed again, her brow furrowing.

"Worry then for the harm you would do to my companion. Saying Twilight is unfit to bear my affection because of her psychology is crueler than I would expect of you, sister."

Luna said nothing, crossing her front hooves and sitting instead. This was...something new. What was Celestia's angle? What was her game?

"Twilight's condition also makes her eager to please and quick to observe what others miss. They keep her organized and drive her to excel well beyond what is expected of her. They help to enrich her. A fact you should be well aware of, considering that she was the only pony to reach out to you on your first Nightmare Night." Luna opened her mouth, but was cut off again. "In spite of all you did and have done to harm her."

Luna bit her tongue, glowering. "Perhaps she needs a pony to keep her in check, since it is clear that you will not."

"That duty falls to her friends, ponies who would rejoice in seeing her succeed and support her even in failure." Celestia eyed her muzzle, daring her to speak out of turn. Luna's eyes shone with venom.

"And what of when she next fails? Will you continue to shield her?"

Celestia took a deep breath, spreading out her wings and settling her expression to neutral. One last chance, Lulu. "I would be grateful if you were to be there to show her errors, if only that I may guide her back to success. The same success that allows us to speak at all, Lulu. The same success that allows me to dream of better futures."

There it was. The concession. She had folded into herself, now Luna had but to drive her point home and she would once more have the deserved spot at her sister's side. But then Celestia spoke up again. "But I would agree to this only on the condition that you relent in your disregard for her feelings. Caution I appreciate." Celestia's body clenched. Luna made ready to deliver the final blow. "Cruelty I will not abide."

Luna struck at Celestia's heart one final time. "Cruelty has its place." Celestia snapped her wings back to her side, teeth clenching behind her neutral expression. "Sometimes we must be harsh on others we love. You have done as much for me many times. It is thanks to this philosophy that the Nightmare was banished." Celestia's eyes screwed up. She sucked a rigid breath into her chest, wings tensed. Almost there. "In a mare as--as unhealthy--as Twilight--" Celestia's eyes snapped open, and Luna's own eyes went wide at the emotion written across her sister's face. There was no platitude. No gentle guilt. No serene plea for forgiveness. For the first time since Twilight's replacing her, she had plucked a genuine emotion from her sister. Quite a shame it was rage.

"Enough. What you are trying to do is cruel to me as it is to her." Celestia advanced on Luna, who shrank backwards, uncertain of the dangerous look in Celestia's eyes. "I see your game, Lulu, and it revolts me. Twilight is not inherently healthy, no. And she never will be. But she is happy with me. And I with her. Would you really tear that away from us to sate your jealousy?" Honest pain distorted Celestia's face, pinching at the corners of her eyes and the edges of her lips. She lowered her head. "I suppose this is my penance for being too happy, is it? That I need be kept in check so I can stay trapped forever in your vicious cycle?"

"Sister!" Luna straightened, lowering her muzzle to scowl at Celestia. "I ask you to consider the safety of our subjects! You have raised a new alicorn who is a danger to herself and others. You have given her rule over the lives of thousands of ponies. Think for a moment of the consequences of your actions!"

"I have thought much on the consequences of my actions." Celestia smiled a bittersweet smiles. "On how they've enriched me. Healed this tired old mare's heart." She looked back at Luna, her gaze souring immediately. "Though it is plain you have not thought on the consequences of yours." Celestia took in a breath, eyes pleading Luna not to interrupt. "Where is your catastrophe, Luna? Where is the evidence of Twilight's failings you so cling to in the hopes it would drive me into your hooves again? Against the dozen successes against creatures we failed to best? Why will you not bridge the gap yourself?
Join us and accept us, find happiness of your own in our bond? This has never been about Twilight's wellbeing matching ours. It has always been about propping up yours by destroying hers. And it has been wrong of me to enable it to go this far."

Luna stomped a hoof, spreading her wings to their fullest extent. "Go this far?! The only thing you have taken too far is your journey from your throne! Your flesh and blood!" Celestia bit her lip. Perhaps Luna was right. Perhaps she went too far. Luna was family. She deserved a chance to--"If you will not see how far astray she has led you, perhaps our subjects will."

Celestia spread out her wings and shot forward, thrusting her head out to clash with Luna's own gaze with a snarl. "She would not be the first alicorn of questionable sanity I have let lead me astray against others' better judgement." Luna's jaw fell open. "I will not be lectured on the mental health of my loved ones and the choices I have made for my kingdom by a pony who threatened the starvation of our entire country and betrayed the vow she made on Starswirl's deathbed to satisfy some petty grudge she held against me!" Luna backed away, tears forming. "I have made my life's work creating a society where ponies like you and Twilight can thrive and be celebrated--loved, even! To throw it back in my face--to threaten me with sewing discontent for my love in my own subjects--insults myself and the ponies I love.

"It insults you and the good inside of you. It insults a kingdom I gave my life to better! A kingdom you threw away out of envy of me! And look at what that rising envy has done yet again? I have tried to understand you, tried to trust you, and in the process enabled you to twist me around your hoof time and again. I have ignored the warnings from the past in hopes of a better future. But that future cannot include anypony but yourself, can it? I'm as blind now as I was then." Celestia raised herself up to her full height, staring Luna directly in the eye for the first time since the defeat of Nightmare Moon. "I will ignore your envy no longer. My loved ones are off limits in your quest to best me. Understand that or leave." Celestia's eyes narrowed into a glare.

"S-Sister...I...I beg you to think..."

"If you cannot approve of the ponies I love, then you are no longer welcome among them." Celestia turned away, flicking her tail at Luna with a snort. "Is that clear?"

Luna wiped at her eyes. This had been a mistake. It had all been a mistake. Trying to talk sense into her sister had been a mistake. "As crystal." She spread her wings, and with a flick of her head she carved open a hole in the dream, uncaring as to where it led. Somewhere she was valued. Somewhere she was cared about. She launched herself away from Twilight Sparkle's world without a second thought.

And with that it was over. The spell was lifted. Celestia did not weep. She did not bow her head in remorse. Celestia stretched her wings out in the sun and sighed as if a gigantic weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Luna knew. Luna knew and she hadn't approved. And Celestia hadn't let it ruin her. She'd stood up for herself. Said no. And there was nothing Luna could do about it. She actually allowed herself to smile.

She loved Twilight Sparkle. And there was nothing Luna could do about it. Haha! She had friends now, real friends. And there was nothing Luna could do about it. She was free to love her own way. And there was nothing Luna could do about it! She jumped into the air, her wings pushing her towards the sun. First a few tentative flaps to get off the ground. Then, as she thought more on the implications of Luna's fading shadow, she went higher and higher into that limitless sky.

Possibilities, new freedoms soared along with her. Her first business was Twilight. Whatever danger she faced, she needed her more now than Luna ever had. Celestia flew over the town she would need to find in the waking world. The end of the train tracks nearest to the Crystal Empire. A chance to show her new friends her best. To save them from their enemies. Enough of Luna. Enough of Nightmares and guilt and a broken family. Enough of sacrificing her happiness to appease another's misery and envy. She was going to save her friends.

While Celestia celebrated, Luna pushed herself onwards. She did not look back. Whatever dream this was, the dreamer was near to Twilight's location. No doubt one of her friends. She took one look at the balloon spires in the distance and immediately cut a hole into another dream. A field full of flowers and hummingbirds. A friend of Twilight. She cut again. A barn--Twilight. She cut again. She readied to make yet another jump, but stopped herself short. This time she found Canterlot like she'd never seen it before.

The immense city held its same typical layout--a series of houses attached to a mountainside by a set of stone disks and a series of powerful spells. But that was where the similarities ended. Hay roofs and cobblestone buildings replaced the marble and gold of the Canterlot of old. Evidence of the houses' previous states could be found at the base of the mountain, where piles of ivory stone, thin metal and gems of shimmering colours had been unceremoniously dumped. Luna decided to investigate.

This she could flee to. Luna decided to investigate. Ponies greeted her on the street with the usual fervor. "Hello, stranger!" (she decided not to take insult to that one this time) and "Welcome to Canterlot!" She paid them no notice, instead soaking in the ways in which her sister's vision for Equestria was being defiled. Equal signs flew proudly from flags affixed to every post and pole across the city. Once made of smooth, finely sanded and colourfull painted wood, these flagpoles were little more than small trees that had been stripped of their branches.

No pomp. No decadence. She could get used to it. She walked forward, looking around for more oddities. The work being done in the town was also strange. Public gardens were replaced by farmers' fields, and despite the soil around Canterlot being notoriously poor for farming thanks to its alpine location, somehow wheat and barley was growing and thriving. Ponies worked in teams of six or seven to do what one would normally do alone in Canterlot proper, but they did it together, working in perfect synchronization.

She kept going, now seeing teams of construction ponies, some strong and some skinny, straining to pull a single wall up in groups of ten or twenty that marched in unison. Ponies sat at craft tables talking on how to make hammers or pulleys, some having better understandings than others, but all working quietly and assisting each other when the need arose. Near the center of town was a set of billboards made of that same rugged, barely serviceable wood she had seen before.

The billboards displayed the words "Tasks for the Day" at the top, and each one had a set of cards that displayed the names of a set of the town's inhabitants. Each set of names was filed under one of a set of various activities, such as construction, cooking or farming. Luna could guess from the mixed experience levels of each of the ponies she'd seen that ponies would swap tasks at the end of each day. Somebody cleared their throat, making Luna turn.

"Princess Luna? Excuse me, it's an honour to meet you." A unicorn with a light pink coat and a purple mane stepped forward, teal eyes glimmering dangerously.

"Well met to you as well. What is all this?" Luna gestured to the contents of the dream.

"A better Equestria. The Equestria we know is one of chaos and inequity. A world that divides based on destinies and talents, when we should share in our unity and in the basic compassion all ponies are owed." The unicorn began to pace as she explained. She chanced a glance at the alicorn of the night, and when she saw that Luna had a hoof to her chin and a distant gaze, she continued more eagerly. "Equestria as we know it is one where a single pony can be elevated far beyond all others, in ways that other ponies never should be. A quirk of destiny or a chance encounter can force a pony onto a path they may not understand, want or even deserve. It can tear apart communities, ruin friendships...break families." She gave Luna her best look of sympathy. Luna stared back into the strange little unicorn's eyes.

"Your...your words ring true. These are also problems I have thought much upon of late. My sister does not recognize them. But perhaps you well might." Luna gave a bow, then rose to stand over her new companion once more. "Well met, subject of Equestria. Please, tell me your name that we might be better acquainted."

The unicorn's face rose into a smile, eyes narrowing with determination. "My name is Starlight Glimmer. And I'm going to change the world."

Author's Note:

It is my solemn hope that the comments section does not descend into Luna and/or Celestia bashing. I'd like to hope that I can write them both as flawed without demonizing either of them.