• Published 7th Jan 2018
  • 4,026 Views, 225 Comments

Opening Celestia's Heart - Knight of Cerebus



Celestia reconnects with her attachment to the Elements of Harmony with the help of Twilight and her friends

  • ...
12
 225
 4,026

Chapter 6

Celestia landed near the outskirts of the village with a silent folding of her wings. The urge to simply jump to Twilight had been strong, but distant memories of her mistakes with Sombra reminded her that alarm wards keyed to teleportation spells were common in paranoid and dangerous unicorns. She'd ported a thirty minute flight away, following the railroad tracks with pounding wingbeats, but at last her journey through the stinging northern air and near-total darkness was at an end. Now came the time for a plan.

Alright, Celestia. Information first. The village was even more bizarre outside of Twilight's dream of the place. In Twilight's mind the houses had been nondescript, but in truth they were identical. Same number of windows, same layout in the stonework, same space between the door and the roof. The village was more a single house repeated than a cluster of homes huddling together. Inhabitants?

She had to be careful not to shine the light from her horn near any of the windows, but the windows held no candlelight save for one, and upon closer inspection she heard a gentle snore coming from within that one building. Good. Now to my allies. She looked for the prison. A compact building on the edge of town, different from the rest, immediately jumped out at her even in the dim light provided by her horn. Now to reach it without being noticed.

Goodness, how long had it been since she'd had to sneak? She fought down the giddy memories of Still, she had a great deal of practice at trotting through her palace halls with silent elegance, and in this lighting it was hard to spot even an ivory-coloured giant with a flowing mane. It was certainly much easier without the risk of her hooves making metallic clinks wherever she went, and given she had been capable of walking silently even when wearing her shoes for eight hundred years now...It was unlikely that the villagers would hear her entrance.

Her regalia were left by the bed in Canterlot, where they belonged. It was three hours to sunrise. Another five till court. She could make up the lost sleep on one of the times Twilight was shouldering her workload. She had eight hours to be Celestia before she had to return to being the Princess. She approached the window of the prison, looking in on her exhausted friends. Oh, but the looks on their faces when they saw who'd come to their rescue. She could see it already.

Five little ponies curled up in sleep, each of them beaten and disfigured. The sixth and most treasured was still diligently working away, her brow furrowed and her hooves carrying her back and forth across the room. Celestia couldn't and didn't want to keep the scowl from her face when she saw the state of her friends. The discoloration on their coats and the frailty of their drained bodies brought her back to Discord's return and the traumas Twilight had suffered from it. Her brow creased and her gaze hardened. Not this time. No powerless begging, no frantic hope that Twilight would prevail. This time was different. This time she saved them. She slipped a window open, jolting the pacing Twilight from her thoughts. "Hello, my little ponies." Twilight was at the window in a heartbeat.

"Princess?" She blinked, a hopeful smile breaking through the exhausted mug she had been wearing before. Then her eyes widened. "What are you doing here?! It's dangerous, there's this crazy pony--"

"Out to remove others' Cutie Marks. So I have seen." Celestia smiled a supportive smile. It was okay, Twilight. She was here now. "You are thinking on a way to stop her, yes?" Twilight tried to chase the concern away from her face.

"I haven't come up with much. I think we might be able to get them to agree to let Fluttershy out, and she'll be able to figure out where our marks are from the--oh." Celestia's amused smirk cut her off. "Princess, I mean it. She wants to steal your Cutie Mark most. This is really dangerous."

"And that," She poked Twilight's nose with a wing, "is exactly why I am here. Luna sensed your distress and informed me of it." Not a lie in the strictest sense of the word..."Far too many times have I sat back and allowed you to shoulder the perils of our kingdom alone. But not tonight. Tonight I stand beside the pony I love." The two of them blushed at this, but for once Celestia did not look away, her smile wide and earnest.

Twilight still seemed uncertain. "But what about what I--What happens if you get caught? What happens if Starlight leverages us in exchange for more power?" Twilight looked down. "What if you get hurt?"

"Not to worry, Twilight. I have several fallbacks in case things go awry, and none will take long enough to leave Equestria unattended. This won't be my first rebellion I've had to negotiate." She gave a gentle smile. "Will you help me?"

Twilight seemed to take solace in this, for she gave a firm nod and hardened her expression back to that look of unconquerable determination Celestia had grown to know so well. "Always. Starlight Glimmer's her name. Unicorn. Soft pink. Darker purple mane and teal highlights. She hid our Cutie Marks in a cave. If we can just get them back--" Celestia nodded.

"Show me the way to this Starlight." Twilight pointed with a hoof. Celestia made her way towards one of the nondescript shacks as silently as she could. Her haste meant she did not notice the small sigh that escaped her fellow alicorn at her leaving. She peered through the window. Sure enough, there were the pirated Cutie Marks. She quashed the instinct to simply power through the rogue unicorn's magic and have the culprits arrested. She could petrify every living creature in this village with a flick of her horn. And the instinct to make little Starlight feel truly small and insignificant for daring to harm her friends, for daring to harm her Twilight, was tempting.

But no. This was a rebel against her ideals, not her military, and to best her opponent, she would have to demonstrate why her ideals worked. If she were to simply crush the perpetrators under the weight of her magic and political clout, she would feed the rebellion. But discredit the upstart, show the world her true colours and the kind of society a pony who disfigured others by force would really make, then she could sway her lost little ponies. Bring them back towards Harmony. That is what a Princess would do. She approached the window, finding the problematic unicorn she was looking for lost in the throes of some particularly vivid dream.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

"And how, pray tell, do you intend to 'change the world', Starlight Glimmer? Your vision for Equestria is interesting. Your criticisms of its culture valid and your intents just. But what is your mechanism? My sister is experienced in dealing with rebels, and you would not be the first to try and fail to bend her ear on such important matters." Luna inspected the unicorn, who straightened herself and put a hoof to her chest.

"I already have Princess Twilight Sparkle herself in my captivity." If Starlight had considered the consequences of admitting to treason in front of Luna, she was hiding it well. But Luna heard her out. "With a bit of conditioning and some showcasing of our culture, we can bring her into our fold, and from there the endorsement will bring others. The momentum will carry the cause from there. Soon enough we'll be at Celestia's door with a list of demands, half the country at our backs." Starlight threw out her chest and gave a quick smirk.

"I regret to say that will never work." Starlight's smirk vanished.

"You're not going to stop me, if that's what you're thinking." Starlight gave a breathy laugh. "I'll just wake myself up and set up some wards in case you teleport in."

"Peace." Luna stepped back, raising a hoof in placation. "That is not why your plan would fail. You have selected perhaps the worst among the Equestrian Princesses as your would-be envoy. Your plan hinges on attempting to tell Twilight Sparkle that her world view and outlook is wrong, and to convince Twilight Sparkle that she is wrong in any respect is perhaps the greatest labour a pony in our kingdom can undertake. Even her friends wrestle with the task at times."

"I can still ransom her! Her and her friends are hostages, which means I can--"

"Are threats of violence truly where you want your vision to lead?" Luna laughed a dark laugh. "You will wake up a thousand years later with an offer of 'forgiveness', banished and sealed for your troubles. And that is if you agree to 'repent'. The last unicorn to attempt violent rebellion against Celestia was sealed in ice and shadow for a thousand years and then vaporized by a magical artifact upon his return."

Starlight's pupils shrank at the thought. She flicked an ear. "W-well, I can always..." Starlight sighed, wilting. "I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Regardless of what you may be doing now, rest assured you have no need for Twilight Sparkle's support. You already have the interest of an Equestrian Princess."

"Really?" Starlight tilted her head. "Who?"

Luna sighed and rolled her eyes. "Of course, my support wanes in the face of statements of insulting ignorance such as that."

Starlight stiffened, eyes briefly widening in panic. "Right! I, sorr--" But just as quickly as the fear was there, it was gone again. "I meant no disrespect. I've merely faced resistance to my perspective whenever I've shared it in the past.

"Tis why your plans interest me so. It is clear as day that Equestria is a flawed society. Ponies slip through the cracks all the time. And when they do, do we stop to help them up? Do we work to help them feel better? No. They are neglected, left behind by the endless parade of Harmony. And those who fail to comply with the simpering cheer are left to rot in the shadows, where their hearts grow dark and festered. I have a vision for a better Equestria, one where those left behind are caught and accepted, but it seems like few other ponies can see the problems inherent in the system. You seem to have that clarity." Luna looked up at the moonlit sky of the dream, giving a low sigh. "They will not listen to your plans and concerns, but I will."

Luna saw motion out of the corner of her eyes. The peculiar unicorn had drawn closer to her.

"That's...actually a big relief." Starlight swallowed, then looked up at Luna. She tried to force back the suspicion. It had driven ponies away before, but if she could just tame it now..."I just wasn't expecting you of all ponies to come around so quickly to the truth."

Luna paused. "Truly? Why not?"

Gentle, Starlight. Gentle. "You're Celestia's own sister. I just thought one of the younger Princesses would be a better pick for shaking up the status quo. You two must be close."

To Starlight's shock, Luna's entire face darkened, her bowed head framing her features in shadow and her starry mane obscuring her eyes. Starlight made to smooth over the faux pas, but Luna cut her off with a scowl. "I assure you that Celestia and Twilight Sparkle are far closer than she ever was with me."

Starlight paused, unsure of what she was witnessing. Normally her need to confirm support would bring about this reaction. But this time it seemed directed at other ponies entirely. "Really?"

"Blood does not equate to friendship." Luna scowled. "Of that I can assure you."

"Well, but this is good, then! You must know a lot of ponies who have problems with Celestia. We could use them! If you send them my way we can spread the word, and then...then...what is it?" Starlight blinked. The lunar Princess had turned away.

"I am afraid I cannot help you." Luna bowed her head.

"But why? You said you'd listen! You promised!" Starlight stressed the last point in particular, though Luna had done no such thing.

"Celestia is superb at making allies. Twilight Sparkle moreso. We do not endorse them, and so we are alone." Luna stepped away, her wings drooping at her sides.

"You--" Starlight's next words came unbidden. "But you're a Princess of Equestria! You could be friends with anyone you wanted."

"Aye, and what then?" Luna turned back to her, eyes glassy and narrowed in a glare. "Be part of my sister's parade? The darker, the lesser once again? No. We forge our own path. It is not so easy as hers. But it makes us strong."

"Who's the 'we', though?" Starlight pressed. "You just said you didn't have anybody." She said this part more quietly, forcing her voice to go soft once more.

Luna froze. She looked away, her mane obscuring her eyes. "It is just a figure of speech..." She murmured.

"Your Majesty?" A truly strange pony, this Princess Luna.

Luna gave an unconvincing chuckle, a hoof to her chest. "Sometimes I speak in dated parley. In the past Equestrians knew me as the head of their state, a representation of all of their hopes and their dreams. At times I fall back into those old ways."

"Sounds like things used to be better..." Starlight trailed off.

"Once. We were truly sisters long ago." Luna's gaze grew distant, a deep sigh leaving her chest. "She and I would adventure together. Share in all each others' secrets. With me by her side, we faced evils that would crush her and her new alicorn of choice in the span of a day. We explored the ruins of kingdoms older than her own dear Equestria by orders of magnitude, founded the cities Celestia puppets from afar side by side with our own citizens."

Her eyes fell upon Canterlot Castle, and she narrowed them with disdain. "But then came the peace times, and the way of Harmony. Equestria grew fat and complacent, and she with them. She thrived in this new era, falling in love with the joy of control and the idolization her perfect composure brought her. But we were not so lucky. For as they worshiped her they came to ignore me. Soon that turned to fear of me, and from there to anger. Till at last I was demonized as surely as she was deified. Little has changed in that time. I can feel the process starting anew already. Feel myself being crushed under the shadow of newer, younger alicorns, turned into something evil and petty."

"Well, that's perfect, then!" Luna blinked, sucked away from her bitter ministrations by the outburst. "My Equestria doesn't have demons or angels. No Princesses and politics. We're all just ponies. Just the same as one another. You won't have to compete with anypony else in my Equestria. No divisions. No stations or duties. No more bureaucrats and nobles."

"Perhaps..." Luna rubbed a hoof against her chin. "It would do us good if you might show me some of these subjects. We wish to see others engaged in this society of yours."

"W-well, y'see I...haven't really had that much success yet. The other ponies in town go along with it, but I don't think any of them really appreciate how important it is to me. I can tell some of them aren't really happy with the changes..."

Luna looked over, her gaze softening. "It hurts. To be isolated, and unwelcome in your own home. But those who would neglect you are not worthy of your time. You must accept that, or the pain will consume you." Luna gazed at the moon. Her charge as much as her prison.

Starlight's melancholy reacted to the sorrow reflected in another. Sadness briefly flared into anger. "I wish they'd just tell me so I could fix it. Why can't they just let me in? I'd change their perspective and really show them what Harmony is really about."

"What use is there in that? Leave them, I say. They never helped you anyway. Focus on those who care." Luna closed her eyes and hugged her wings close to her sides.

"No. That just leads to divisions I'd have to deal with down the line. I can make them see. I just need to put an end to ideas that would distract them from harmony. The stupid parties and muffins don't mean anything." She gave an exasperated sigh, then pulled in a breath and recomposed herself. "I'll show them the bigger picture and then they'll understand."

Bigger picture. Why did that sound familiar? Luna turned from the moon, her eyes wide. "What?"

"Parties, muffins, skiing. It doesn't matter, but they keep acting like it's the end of the world that we don't have any of that! When we're in control we'll have bigger plans then baking and balloon animals!" Starlight huffed. "You know how that is."

"And you feel that they cannot be your friend while holding to their own passions?"

"That's what happens when you give ponies too much freedom. They run off on tangents that don't mean anything and ruin your friendships! It's just like you said with your sister. She stopped adventuring with you and started worrying about appearances and politics and look what happened!" Starlight stomped a hoof. "The only stable bonds come from unity. The only way to achieve unity is control."

Sister. Luna's thoughts went to another pony with a bigger picture she knew. Domineering. Manipulative. Perfectly in control, and utterly alone save for the one pony in Equestria desperate enough to cling to her. She looked back at Starlight, herself alone save for Luna's own presence. "Is that so?" Having trouble finding allies indeed.

"Of course it is! If you leave room for choice you split ponies apart. Provide two roads and you get two sets of travelers." Starlight's glare left no room for discussion. A clumsier version of a familiar face, no gentle smile to hide it. Luna stiffened.

"So you cannot call another friend unless they agree with you in full?"

"Of course! Otherwise the differences between us will just build up until one of us leaves." Starlight shrugged. "It's ugly, but that's just how it works."

Luna stepped away, no longer looking Starlight in the eye. Her eyes instead focused upon the night sky above her. "What are your opinions on the stars, then? And what of dreams?" Now that she was seeing the 'bigger picture' in all its glory, what she saw revolted her.

Even her own creations were uniform in this strange land of enforced equality, the stars forming a compass rose that stretched across the darkness for the benefit of navigation alone. Hard lines replaced elegant swirls, unique pinpricks of light tamed down into dull, even dots that were spaced in regular intervals. She was certain that if astronomy did not exist, if navigation was not a necessity, there would be no stars at all.

Starlight shrugged, cutting her out of her thoughts. "I never really think about them. White noise, really. Stars are background. Dreams are worse--distractions from reality. They're a lie."

Luna tasted vacuum. Another one. Bitter and damaged perhaps, but no more her ally for it than Celestia herself. Just another mare looking to slave her dreams to their own perfect visions. Another perfect world for her to not fit within. "A pity." She spread out her wings. "We'd hoped to find a kindred spirit. But there is no more welcome here than anywhere." Luna flapped her wings, launching into the sky.

"No, wait--please!" Starlight held out a hoof, watching the strange new alicorn fade into the night. "Don't go!" The outline of her new friend faded into that of the moon's. "Princess Luna!" And like that she was alone, her strange companion fading away on another pathway. She wrenched her eyes shut, drooping her head and slumping into a sitting position. "Not again."

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Starlight began to murmur, her hooves twitching and her head twisting back and forth. She turned over in her sleep. Celestia crouched lower, hoping to avoid detection in the instance of Starlight waking. looked around the room, then spotted something. A makeup kit? In a town as brutalist and barren as this it seemed out of place. She wrapped her magic around the contents and floated them up to inspect them.

Coat dye, colour corrector, foundation, and the brushes, towels and combs needed to apply them. She examined the colour. Strange. They all seemed to match Starlight's own coat, save for a black coat dye and foundation. Why black? She searched Starlight's face for any sign of the colour. No indication of the foundation there. Her next step would be more delicate. With a gentle pull, she lifted the blankets off Starlight's body. Celestia summoned a jet of warm air to keep the sudden cold from waking Starlight, and set the blankets on the floor discreetly with a flick of her horn.

She scanned Starlight's body for black markings. At last she spotted the location of the mysterious black foundation. Celestia stifled a laugh at the painted-over Cutie Mark. Oh dear. She's making this far too easy. Well, she'd intended to ask a procession of gentle questions to undermine the developing tyrant, but this made things far faster and easier. She levitated the makeup back to its hiding place, then shut the windows once more. Now to wait for the cold to wake the sleeping unicorn.

But Starlight had other plans. She jolted awake with a start, eyes shooting open and then lowering back into the haze of bleariness that a troubled awakening always brought. She whispered a little 'no...' and turned away from her window to look at herself in the mirror. Celestia slunk away. She had the information needed for her plans. Her first task would be to halt the momentum of Starlight's revolution. Right now her enemies saw her as a rival with ferocious magic and tyrannical absolute authority to bring to bear. That brought them strength in their fear and their desperation, their need for change and acceptance. If she became an outlet for that change and acceptance, that driving pressure would swiftly die off.

Time to alert Starlight to her presence. She began to weave together the delayed mass teleport. Magic wove itself around the jars of Cutie Marks and the prison. Harm her or any of her friends directly, and they and their Marks would port back to the palace on a trigger. A spell as complex as it was immeasurably powerful. It would trip every ward from here back to the train station. She closed her eyes, allowing herself to tighten her focus. The golden magic solidified itself around everything--She took special care to add an element of cozy warmth to the tendrils that wrapped around Twilight--and sealed over. Now for a focal point. The carpet leading to her throne would do. She reached out with her magic all the way back to Canterlot Castle.

A door slammed open a few houses from her. Lights in the other houses were beginning to switch on one by one, the unicorn inhabitants of the village no doubt feeling the power of the enchantment Celestia was about to complete. She sealed it over with a smile, throwing up a quick shield for good measure. There. I'm ready to receive you now, Starlight. Right on cue, a lance of blue magic shot out at her, and was easily parried by a bubble of yellow magic. She threw on her best shocked face. "Excuse me!" She raised her shield spell a little higher for emphasis. "Is that any way to treat a visitor?"

"Princess Celestia." Starlight Glimmer sneered at her and lowered her horn, exhausted unicorns slowly making their way out of their houses to crowd the scene she was making. "You showed up sooner than expected. Summoned here by your little pet?" Now for some feigned ignorance.

"I fail to see how my phoenix Philomena factors into this. I was speaking with my sister," Starlight's glare narrowed at that, earning some honest confusion from Celestia, "when she mentioned encountering your village in a dream. I was told you are dissatisfied with my rule." Celestia did not have to act when it came to the next line. A genuine frown tugged at her peaceful smile. "My subjects come first in any situation, and this is no exception. I was saddened to hear of your discontent with my philosophy."

"I'll bet!" Starlight's horn still glowed, but now she crowded to the front of the group of ponies that had come to spectate. By this time the entire town was up. "So, come to stop us, now? Arrest us for treason? Well I have news for you--" Her eyes flicked back toward the prison triumphantly.

"Actually." Celestia held up a hoof, looking at Starlight directly. "I have come to see your society firsthoof. The society presented in your vision seemed quite harmonious to me. I wish to experience your philosophy." Celestia spread out her wings and lowered her shield. Murmurs of disbelief rushed through the crowd like wind on a warm summer evening.

"It's a trick!" Starlight wheeled around, staring into the eyes of each of her followers. "She just wants to bring Cutie Marks back to us and split us apart once again!"

Celestia pursed her lips. "I'm not sure I follow. Why am I to be championing Cutie Marks?"

"W-well, because all of Equestria has them! You're the one making everyone get them!" Starlight stomped a hoof. "Ponies should have the right to choose to embrace them or reject them! But you give them no choice!"

Celestia scratched the back of her head with the tip of her wing. "I'm terribly sorry, but you've lost me again. I did not invent Cutie Marks, nor did I choose one of my own accord."

Starlight blinked. "What?"

"The concept of Cutie Marks predates my reign. I cannot remember a time without them, and I have yet to witness a spell that can remove them." Celestia lowered herself in a bow. "You clearly see merit in undoing Cutie Marks. I am hoping to be convinced myself." Starlight hesitated. "Surely such an intelligent and forward-thinking unicorn as yourself deserves a chance to prove herself. So, in the interest of equality, do what you must." Celestia closed her eyes and opened her wings, rearing up to allow for the little pony to strike at her.

Starlight bit her lip, eyes darting around at the assembled villagers. Some of them seemed as conflicted as her, but others seemed glad--excited, even--to see Celestia herself so willing to explore their way of life. "Give me your crown." Starlight said at last. "I want some sort of confirmation this isn't a trick."

"A trick? Of what sort?" Celestia again wore her best confused face.

"That magic you were weaving earlier. I'll bet it does something to us. If I hit you it'll give us all Cutie Marks again! Or summon guards that'll start rounding everypony up and throwing them in some sort of dungeon." The villagers began to nod along with Starlight's words.

"Goodness! I would hardly be a worthy ruler if I locked away ponies simply for disagreeing with me. I could hardly live with myself if I were to solve my problems by throwing harmless ponies like yourselves in a prison." The crowd began to murmur. Starlight's eye twitched. Celestia, for her part, removed her tiara with a hoof and held it to her chest. "You have my word, on the crown of Equestria, that I will use neither magic nor force to try to turn you from your ideals. Such an act would be the height of hypocrisy and a point of great shame against me." A white-coated earth pony winced as she said this, bowing his head and screwing his eyes closed. "I wish to speak on your philosophy, not as an enemy, nor as a ruler. I wish to speak," She paused to look around at the increasingly shame-faced villagers, "as equals."

"She's right!" A blue-coated unicorn chimed in, cringing at the way Starlight tensed when he spoke up. "Real leaders don't use force to keep their subjects in line."

"What did you say?" Starlight rounded on the pony, who shrank back from her glare. Beads of sweat began to dot his coat, and his eyes shrunk at the way Starlight began to advance.

"I'm afraid I don't understand." Celestia cut in. Starlight swiveled her head to stare at her, a vein protruding from her neck and her eyes narrowed in a glare. "If you're all equals, why is there a need for a leader?"

"There isn't!" Starlight gave an overwide smile. The earth pony with the white coat looked at her in concern. "We make our decisions as a collective! In unison and agreement, unlike the laws and mandates of Equestria."

The crowd began to nod along again. "Odd." Celestia put a hoof to her chin. "It seems you have some dissent to me. Let our equal speak. I want to hear his story." The trembling unicorn shrank back further into the crowd. "Please. I promised you safety, and I am sure Starlight will do the same. Won't she?" Celestia looked at Starlight with a trusting smile.

Starlight tapped her hooves together. "O-of course."

"M-my name is Party Favor. I...I spoke out of turn earlier. I'm sorry," the unicorn bowed his head to Starlight, "I have nothing to add."

Celestia gave the faintest of frowns. "But if you don't speak about your concerns, how can we have unity?" The crowd began to share glances at this. "And if you are not allowed to speak out of turn, what does that say for the rest of us?" Murmuring began again. "If I were sick, injured or in danger, I would need the right to interrupt the collective to keep myself safe and healthy. I would want that same right for my equals. Wouldn't you?" Ponies began to nod along, discussion beginning to take root among the assembled crowd. The earth pony from before was biting his lip, his stare boring deep into Starlight's barrel.

"Go on then, Party Favor." Starlight gave another painfully large smile. "T-Tell her your worries." She shoved the pony towards Celestia with a hoof.

"I--I don't..." He sagged. Then straightened up. "We made a mistake! All of us! We're all equal here! And that means my opinion is equal to any of yours! I don't want to be part of this anymore! I miss throwing parties! I miss being able to make people smile because of what I do! Not what I'm told to do by everyone else! And I don't want to get thrown in jail just for saying that! This isn't what you promised it'd be! You said there'd be harmony and we'd all be closer, but I...I've never felt more alone!" He wilted. "I just want to have fun again..."

"Well, Starlight Glimmer?" Celestia looked on her with that same gentle smile. "It seems you have a dissenter. Show me how your exciting new society will deal with them."

"I don't have a dissenter." Starlight rolled her eyes and glared at the miserable unicorn. "You do. It's clear he has no place in our society. He belongs in yours."

The crowd continued to shift and murmur. Celestia paid them and Starlight no heed. For now there was a trembling subject of hers in need of her eternal calm. She walked over to him, lifting his gaze with a wing. "Does that sound fair to you, Party Favor? There are places in Equestria that would love a party planner of your dedication. I know of a few such towns along the train tracks alone. Would you wish to rejoin them?" The little unicorn nodded glumly. Celestia frowned. "But you don't wish to leave your friends?" Another sad nod. Celestia looked back to Starlight. "What's the harm in letting him keep his Cutie Mark? Can he not be our equal in other ways? Can the two societies not coexist?"

"Of course not!" Starlight snapped. "If he's better at planning parties then he'll need to be faster, funnier and smarter than the rest of us! He'd have the entire collective following him in a matter of weeks! And then we'd be back where we started! Your society assimilating mine!"

"Assimilating our society, you mean. I was under the impression that your philosophy decreed we shared it." At once Starlight's anger turned back to nerves.

Starlight bit her lip, glancing to one side. Sweat began to bead upon her forehead. "R-right. Our society. It'll go to pieces if we let anypony excel beyond anypony else! He can't get a leg up on everyone and still expect not to be treated different."

Celestia sighed. "Could he at least visit, then? There is no reason you cannot get along despite disagreeing, is there? Is it not in the nature of harmony to bring together ponies across all kinds of boundaries?"

"It is." A white coated earth pony stepped forward. He looked at Starlight with regret. "I don't think our society should be keeping ponies against their will. If they don't want to join us, we need to give them time to come around, not try to force them to do it. If we try forcing this we'll just get more ponies like Party Favor. I want this to work out as much as you do. But we need to be open to change, to different ideas, if we're going to make this work. I think we need to let the ponies go. We don't look smart or dedicated if we hold them. We just look crazy and afraid."

"Double!" Starlight hissed. "What are you doing? This is our chance!"

"You're right. It is our chance. Our chance to show a world leader how well we work together! So let's show her, Starlight! You said this society would create harmony! But look at Party Favor! Does he look in harmony?" Other ponies began nodding along. "Locking up ponies doesn't make harmony! And it doesn't make them believe us, either! It just divides us even more. We need to be honest. And we need to be fair."

Starlight growled, her gaze cutting into the ground, but Celestia only gave a quiet nod at this. "I appreciate honesty in all of my subjects, as I hope they appreciate honesty in me." The orange gem on Celestia's peytral glinted. "If you have something you need to share, I will reserve my judgement."

"We've been holding dissenters ever since you arrived! And it was wrong." The white pony, which Celestia now knew to be Double, looked over at Starlight. "If we're going to show the world how good we are, we need to start acting like it. I say we let the prisoners go with Party Favor, so we can show the Princess how well our society works! Not hide the ways that it doesn't." He gave a nod to Starlight, looking for approval. She only scowled back.

"Fine." She spat the word. "Let them go with Party Favor for all I care. But you have to stay." She thrust a hoof at Celestia.

"I already said that I wished to see your society fully, didn't I?" Celestia stretched her wings. "We can begin with the removal of the Cutie Mark once you've let the prisoners go."

"But I don't...alright. We'll do it your way. Double Diamond, get their Cutie Marks and get them out of here." Starlight jerked her head in the direction of the prison. "Now then, where were we?" Starlight lit her horn, a malevolent grin spreading across her face. "Oh right. You were joining us."

Celestia raised the shield spell up once more, gesturing to its boundaries. "Not until I see that your prisoners are free to go and unharmed."

"I gave you my word. I've been acting on yours and I expect you to act on mine." Starlight grit her teeth.

"I would gladly trust you, Starlight Glimmer. But you will forgive me if I find myself somewhat alarmed by the mention of secret prisons. I will need my trust in you restored, and respecting my boundaries will be a good first step."

"Fine! Fine!" Starlight sighed. She pointed at the prison, where six confused mares were being led out by the pale earth pony. "See. They're fine. I've met my terms. Time you met yours. "

"I would see their Cutie Marks restored to them first."

"You're changing the deal!" Starlight stomped a hoof.

"You agreed to release them. Their Cutie Marks, whatever our opinions on them end up being, are a part of them. One they clearly cherish. I have changed nothing."

"Ugh, Fine!" Starlight lit her horn, and the sound of shattering came in the distance. Cutie Marks flew back towards their owners, who in turn accepted them like the return of an old friend. Coats became fuller and brighter. Eyes more alive with internal fire. Joy returned to her friends.

"There! Done now! Happy?!"

"Very." Celestia lowered her shield spell, giving a low bow. "You may fire when ready."

Starlight fired off the shot the moment Celestia began her bow. The blast caught the eyes of everyone involved, muffling the sound of somepony screaming Celestia's name in the distance. She felt the effects of the strange spell almost immediately. It was like the light drained from her body. She felt her fur thin and her muscles begin to fail. Her mane fell out of its ethereal flow, coiling around her seated body and into the dirt around her in winding pink locks. Cold air rushed in where her weakened fur was parting. Her chest seemed to lack the strength to draw in enough air. The world grew dimmer in her vision. Her mind started to grow fuzzier, less focused. A voice cut through it all, still shouting out her name and bringing her out of the haze the spell had planted in her mind.

"Princess! Princess Celestia!" Twilight forced her way through the crowd with a burst of earth pony strength, rushing to her side and throwing her hooves around her. She nuzzled into Celestia's side greedily, their fur intermingling. "You said you'd be safe." She whispered.

"Twilight Sparkle!" Celestia said the name as if it was a carefree laugh. She was careful to check Starlight, but the unicorn was busy fetching a jar for her Cutie Mark and proudly showing it to the assembled villagers. "My fellow Princess. What are you doing here?" She hugged Twilight a little closer and hid her muzzle from the gathered ponies using the back of Twilight's head. "Play along." She whispered, careful that her lips were not seen. Twilight straightened, releasing her from the tight hug. Celestia also released her hooves, allowing Twilight to step back.

"M-my friends and I were summoned here by the Elements of Harmony to stop rising disharmony in this group of ponies." She turned and faced the crowd. "We appreciate that you've let us go, but there's more we have to do here."

"Yeah! Like hay we're letting them turn you into one of those creepy zombie ponies!" Rainbow Dash threw her hooves out at the surrounding crowd. She was met with a colourful array of glares for her accusation.

Celestia simply laughed. "I appreciate the concern, Rainbow Dash, but I believe we are working out an accord as we speak. Are we not?"

Starlight sucked in a breath between her teeth, looking at the Cutie Mark she'd captured with philosophical consideration. "If you really are willing to listen, yes. We're working out an accord together. One society to another." The crowd seemed to begin to settle at this, and Celestia once again gave a gentle smile.

"I assure you that I am. I believe that my first order of business in that regard would be looking after my mane." Celestia lifted up one of her filthy clumps of tangling pink hair. "I can hardly speak to my subjects on the value of your society looking like this." She gave Starlight's own mane a nod. "I believe something more...composed is in order, yes?" Twilight looked at her in horror. Celestia pressed on. "It could use a trim." Her eyes twinkled.

"That...makes sense..." Starlight paused. Something seemed off. But the momentum of the crowd was no longer with her. She nodded along. "Sugar Belle!" Starlight pointed to a pink pony in the crowd. "Get us the scissors!"

Celestia turned to look at the remaining assembled Element Bearers. "Tell me. Are there any among you who wish to stay and learn more of Starlight's culture? Or have all of you already made your choice?"

"I'm staying." Twilight's eyes hardened, "Anything they wish to do to you, we'll go through together." She swallowed down her look of hurt, the words like you promised unsaid but implied. She gave the villagers a shaky smile. The other Element Bearers looked at Twilight in concern.

"Ya sure 'bout that, Sugarcube?" Applejack put a hoof to her withers.

"Yeah! Starlight's been a lying meaniepants before and she's probably gonna do it again!" Pinkie chimed in. "No offense, Starlight."

"None taken." The unicorn in question rolled her eyes.

"If Twilight's staying, I say we all are." Rainbow crossed her hooves. "Do what you want. We're sticking together."

"It's what friends would do." Fluttershy added with a gentle smile.

"Very well. That is a good number of new ponies to manage, however." Celestia folded her wings to allow Starlight better access to her mane. "Perhaps we should do me first and allow the others to watch? They seem distressed by their time in your captivity. Perhaps a show of goodwill might help them see your perspective better."

"Celestia!" Rarity interjected. "If you intend to be subjected to the dark intentions of this ne'er do well I must insist one of us go first."

"I'll do it." Twilight stepped forward.

"That won't be necessary, Rarity, Twilight." Celestia looked Twilight in the eye. The two of them held the same expression. Desperate. Determined. Self-sacrificing. She turned away from Twilight to look at Starlight. "I truly believe there is merit to what this mare has to teach us. We need to see her viewpoint, and I think the transition towards that would be easiest if we started with me. Only, we'll need somepony to spray my tail and mane down, won't we?" Celestia's eyes twinkled. Starlight looked torn. "They can be quite stubborn if not wetted down."

"We don't need anything like that. We can do the trim right here and now!"

"Could we not be more gentle? You've already given my companions here a terrible fright. Let them participate. Let them see you and your ponies mean them and I no harm." Starlight cast a look at the town. They were nodding along. She fought down a nervous tremor. "I think it would do us all some good to let patience and goodwill prevail."

Starlight sighed. "Alright, alright. But we're starting the cut the minute it's done!"

"Why not bring the two together? You get in position, and we can go from there. Does that sound acceptable?"

"Sure, sure. Let's just get this started already." Starlight walked forward rigidly, shooting a triumphant look at anypony she could catch the eye of. She needed to show them she was still in control. That this was still her idea, her village and her society.

"Twilight, my dear fellow Princess, would you be so kind?"

"Always." Twilight gave her another look, their eyes locking. A silent conversation ensued.

Twilight bored her eyes into Celestia's chest. You lied to me.

Celestia flicked a look at her hair with a delicate smile. It's just a mane, Twilight. They grow back you know.

Twilight clenched her wings together. Don't make me do this to you.

Celestia gave a tiny bow of her head, gesturing toward Twilight. Please let me do this for you.

Twilight summoned a gust of mist, teeth clenching. Fine. But I'm not happy.

Celestia lowered her gaze into a submissive grin. I'll make it up to you.

Twilight gave a gentle nod. Good. Twilight started spraying her down.

Celestia edged her gaze over to Starlight. Make sure to spray her, too. Near the tail.

On it. Twilight began to spray wider and heavier jets of water. Celestia's pink locks were swiftly tamed down from a horde of tangles to a manageable trail of silky pink. Water droplets were everywhere. The fine mist washed over both of the ponies, soaking into both of their coats. Now to wait for gravity and distillation to do their job.

Starlight, for her part, began to trim at the hair with increasing confidence. Gentle snips at the edges turned to quick chops that took away more and more bunches with every moment. There was a satisfaction to it. Here was the source of all her traumas. The sun tyrant who'd stolen away her only friend, who was chipping away at the foundations of her village, beaten and tamed. At last submitting to her, as she always should have. Conforming and safe, not absolute and unattainable anymore. She cut away at the last of the long pink strands with a flourish of her scissors. Now for the tail. At last they could have true peace across Equestria. An Equestria where no one would ever again be wrenched away from their friends because of some immutable, nebulous magic. She set herself to humming a little tune, focusing on snipping away at the locks of flowing solar hair. Celestia was, for her part, very gracious. She sat patiently, a quiet little smile on her face.

That was when the whispers began. She glanced around. The village was being swept up in a wave of gossip. She studied their eyes, heart beginning to plummet. What was going wrong? All of them were staring at her again. Why? She had done it! They were going to keep Celestia and her friends forever and never have to hide again! Harmony was in their grasp, they should be celebrating, not--not staring at her flank like it had grown a second tail! Then her veins turned to ice. Her flank... The water. The cursed water they'd let Twilight spray. It was on her flank. It was on her flank and her makeup was running and--she wheeled around, looking directly at a disbelieving Double Diamond

"I-I can explain." She hauled in a breath. Everyone was staring. It was all coming undone.

"I think I can, too." Celestia chimed up from behind her. No. Don't you dare. Don't you dare you manipulative, cruel old--
"Starlight Glimmer needed her magic in order to keep her ideal society running smoothly. Some tasks are simply beyond ordinary ponies. Growing enough food to keep our current population together. Bringing water to our nation through tornadoes. These tasks require the magic innate within us all in order to achieve. Ponies like Starlight are necessary to transition between societies."

Starlight nodded. Maybe she could use this. It could be a launching point. "Exactly! Some ponies would need to retain certain power until true harmony could be restored! Then we'd give up that power--"

"--Provided they all believed your cause as genuinely as you did--" Celestia added, closing the trap with a gentle smile.

"I'd make sure they did!"

"Like you did with Party Favor, or Double Diamond?" The eyes of the villagers all turned to Starlight. She clenched her teeth, sweating profusely. Celestia leaned down to whisper into the ear of the panicking unicorn. "I think you may have wanted a second opinion on this bold new style of government, my little pony." She then pulled herself back up to her full height to speak to the village. "There are some tasks that can never be surrendered to many individuals, as you yourself are beginning to discover, Starlight." Her gaze bored into Starlight's soul, and the unicorn wilted. "Some tasks require talents that your society would never allow. Expressions of the self that no equality could ever recapture." She gave a gentle chuckle, further sinking Starlight into humiliation and despair. "Tell me, all of you. In this brave new world of yours where none had magic powerful enough to reach beyond the outskirts of your own village, who was going to raise the sun?"

Nopony looked her in the eye. Nopony said a word. Celestia raised Starlight's chin with a gentle wing. "May I have my Cutie Mark back?"

"Y-yes Ma'am." Starlight bowed away from her, then rushed past Celestia and away from the village, her eyes shut and a pressure building in her throat. She flung open the door to her house and slammed it shut again with a resounding crack. The other villagers shuffled awkwardly, their eyes at the ground. None of them approached or even looked at her. She opened her wings, a wide smile upon her face. But before she could begin to placate their worries, her friends erupted into cheers behind her.

Rarity and Applejack were the first to her side. "Celestia, dear! That was stunning!" Celestia closed her eyes and hummed.

"Land's sakes, pony! Never thought I'd see the day somepony'd frisk the literal Cutie Marks off somepony else." Applejack

"We totally have to play Steal The Tail On The Pony some time!" Pinkie Pie interjected. "I still have to give back Bulk Bicep's..."

"Yeah, remind me never to get on your bad side!" Rainbow Dash added.

Celestia only laughed this off. "I hardly think that likely, Rainbow Dash. You all of you inspired me on this day." She placed a wing around Rarity and another against Applejack's shoulder. "I only wanted to repay all the kindness and hardship you have endured on my behalf. Especially you." She looked over at Twilight, who had not deigned to join them.

"I...actually have something I'd like to say about that, Princess." Everypony's eyes went to her, and Twilight, seeing Celestia's ear begin to droop, swiftly adjusted. "But I can wait on it! I just...need to talk to you."

"Always, Twilight." Celestia said with measured grace. She made to open her mouth again, but a noise of anguish interrupted them both.

Rarity picked up some of the locks of pink hair with delicate sympathy. "And what a hardship it was. It's a true sacrifice if ever there was one. Yours was one of the finest manes in all Equestria! Why, the way it flowed was what inspired my own curls in the first place!"

Celestia laughed again, squeezing Rarity with a wing once more. There was a faint blue glow on her collar. "I must admit I was rather inspired myself in that regard. Twilight once told me a particularly noble unicorn once did the same in hopes of saving me." Rarity looked at her in confusion. "And I was hoping a particularly talented fashionista might help me to look as stunning as she did when she so sacrificed her tail for me." Understanding reached Rarity immediately, and she blushed and waved a hoof.

"It was nothing."

"It was wonderful. And so have all of you been to me. I hope I returned even half of that to you. But I do believe we could all use a little less excitement at this time. It's nearly time for the sun to rise." Celestia turned to face the crowd. "I do not wish to stomp out Starlight's ideas in full. The choice is now within all of you to embrace or reject what parts of her philosophy you see fit. A choice each of you will have to make yourselves, without forcing it onto the minds and hearts of your peers. This land of ours holds many perspectives and ways of life. Grace, joy, compassion, integrity, devotion." Celestia nodded to each of the ponies beside her.

"Each of these ponies holds different things dear. But we all respect one anothers' ideals. That is what makes us equal, not prisons or false Cutie Marks." Celestia gestured to the ponies around her. As if on cue, Starlight arrived, refusing to look at the villagers that were doubtlessly glaring at her and refusing to look at the two-faced tyrant in front of her. She thrust Celestia's Cutie Mark, safely protected within a simple glass jar, at the older mare, who lightly opened the jar and let the mark fly back towards her.

The crowd still seemed unconvinced. Quick looks around showed ponies staring at their fallen leader with looks of pity or betrayal, and at one another with shame "My own friends do not live my life or hold my station, but each of them is dear to me in ways as unique as they are wonderful. I hope you can someday say the same of yours, and that we might one day know each other under better circumstances." She gave a gentle smile. The ponies around her blushed, but did not move. Still, they began to talk, pointing at her assembled friends and whispering to one another.

"Yeah! And if you want us to come back some time we can totally have a 'didn't turn Equestria into a totalitarian dictatorship' party! And I can teach everypony how to make real muffins!" Pinkie Pie spoke up, bounding in front of Celestia. This got the assembled subjects to cheer at last, and hushed conversations became open ones. Pinkie wheeled around. "And we totally need to throw you a 'saved everypony and got a funky new manecut' party! To the spa!" Celestia laughed along with Pinkie, but a glance at the horizon, so close to dawn, made her smile fade.

"I should be returning to court, I'm afraid. My petitioners will be wondering where I am..."

"Aww, please! We can't let you go to court looking all frumpy-dumpy! It's all anypony's gonna be talking about if you come in looking like that!" Pinkie tilted her head to point at the harsh, conformist bangs. "Nothing will get done anyway!" Pinkie whispered her last point in a sing-song voice. "And this way will be more fu-un!"

This was all true. But duty called her. Still, there was one solution to her problems she could always count upon. "Twilight? I believe Pinkie is correct. What do you think?"

"Well..." Twilight looked at Celestia. Looked at her friends surrounded by that set of enormous wings, all looking at her expectantly. "I could look after it, but..."

"Nonsense." Celestia gave her a gentle smile. "I wouldn't dream of leaving you out of our triumph." Twilight did not comment that she felt like Celestia already had. Instead, she nodded along. "I will send my seneschals a missive, and tell them that, owing to political complications in the North, court will reopen in the afternoon. I will make up the lost time by holding court alongside Princess Twilight on one of her scheduled days in attendance." Celestia lit her horn and hugged Rarity and Applejack closer, a golden glow enveloping the six mares. She gave the assembled ponies a gentle smile that spoke of laughter and freedom. "For the moment, I think I may be otherwise engaged."

Author's Note:

Crazy!Starlight is fun to write. I tried to marry the two interpretations of Starlight as best I could for this chapter. The unhinged extremist willing to do anything to get her way meets the lonely ball of insecurities who lost her only friend to changes outside her control. What I got was a lonely ball of insecurities willing to do anything to keep everything inside of her control.