• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 23,521 Views, 771 Comments

In a time of need - Small Muffin



After being abandoned by her friends, Sunset Shimmer wanders the steets alone, with no hope left, she gives up, only to be saved at the last second. Meanwhile her friends are trying to find her, and apologize for what they've done.

  • ...
27
 771
 23,521

A cry for help

The table was rather silent after Twilight left. The five girls sat in silence, staring at the small pile of papers the princess had slammed down into the table before she left.

"...So..." Pinkie began nervously, "Who wants to go first..?" All five of them knew exactly what they were, but none of them wanted to read any of them.

After no one had made a move for a while, Applejack reached her hand out to grab the top peice. Just before she picked up the paper, however, she first gave Fluttershy a small, questionable look.

"W...What?" Fluttershy mumbled.

Applejack didn't respond, and looked back towards the pile as she picked up one of the papers. She gave it a quick scan and sighed.

"So are they... What we think they are?" Rarity asked.

"Yep..."

"I knew it..." Rainbow said.

Aj gave a weak cough to clear her throat, and began reading the message to the four others around her.

Dear Princess Twilight.

Things have been a bit rough around here recently, you see, yesterday someone started spreading the secrets, of some of the people in school. I don't know how they found these things out, or why they're doing this, but I'm worried because everyone thinks it's me! Everyone was looking at me funny, and talking about me. Any advice?

Sunset Shimmer.

Dear Sunset.

I'm sure things aren't as bad as they may seem. While I don't really know who's doing this, I'm sure it's just a one off, this time tomorrow, everything will be fine. And I'm sure you're not the only one being accused, those ponys people are probably accusing you as much as they are somepony else, so don't worry about it to much.

Take care, from Princess Twilight Sparkle.

PS, if you ever want to talk to somepony, you've always got your friends to help you through this. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie Pie. I know them, and they'd never turn their back on me when I need them, and I'm sure they wouldn't leave you either.

Thanks Twi, speak to you soon.

Applejack stopped reading for a moment. No one was eager for her to continue.

"So... What next?" Dash asked.

"You really want me to carry on, Dash?"

"No..." Rainbow replied, "But Twilight brought them here for a reason, so she must want us to read them."

Begrudgingly, Applejack continued reading.

Dear Twilight.

It wasn't a one off. This person didn't stop today, instead they've decided to give themselves a name, they're calling themselves Anon-A-Miss, and they let out even more secrets now, and they're framing me for it! Everyone has pretty much accepted that I'm doing this, but I swear I'm not!

I left school early today, but I'm going to talk with the girls tomorrow. At least I know they'll believe me.

From Sunset Shimmer.

Dear Twilight.

They didn't believe me. They all think it's me, and none of them want to see me again. I feel like I'm back at square one again, like I'm right back at the Fall Formal. Everyone was calling me a monster, or a she-demon.

Your friends made it clear they don't believe me. They think I fabricated my friendship with them, that I was waiting for a moment like this to strike back at them. I thought they'd believe me, but they didn't.

I know you haven't replied to my pervious message yet, but I need your help Twi.

Sunset Shimmer.

"So, what did Twilight say next?" Pinkie asked weakly.

"She... Didn't say anything?" Applejack replied, questioning her own words.

"What do you mean?" Rainbow asked.

"Twilight didn't reply, look." Applejack handed the letters to Rainbow, who scaned over the remaining letters. None of them, except for the last letter on the last sheet of paper were from Twilight, they were all from Sunset.

"But why didn't she reply?" Fluttershy asked.

Rarity shrugged. "We'll ask her when she comes back."

"You gonna read the rest to us, or not?" Pinkie asked weakly. Rainbow sighed, and continued with the letters, which at this point, were more like desperate pleas for help.

Twilight? Where are you?

Why aren't you replying?

Do you hate me as well? Did they somehow get a message to you, telling you not to trust me..?

Twilight?

Spike?

Anypony?

Please reply... Even if it's to tell me you hate me, just please reply!


I'm scared...


I don't care anymore... I don't care who's doing this, or why they're doing this, but I'm done. Whoever it is that's framing me wins... Because I can't take it anymore, so I...

I give up...

Goodbye Twilight.

SUNSET PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING DRASTIC! I DO BELIEVE YOU SUNSET! I'm on my way over right now! Please, PLEASE don't do anything stupid, I'll explain everything to you when I arrive. I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier, but I didn't know it would get this bad for you!

Rainbow took a deep breath of regret, and set the letters down on the table. "So that's the one Sunset didn't get?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah." Everyone looked up to see Princess Twilight had come back while Rainbow was reading the final letter. Dash moved over, giving the princess space to sit down.

"Hey, Twilight?" Applejack began.

"Why didn't you reply to these sooner?" Dash asked.

"Rainbow!" Rarity snapped.

"What?" she asked, "You're the one who said we should ask her!"

"Well yes, I did. But I didn't mean to just come out and ask it like th-"

"Because..." There was an immediate moment of silence around the table, as everyone awaited Twilight's response. "Because I was in Canterlot for the last few days. Away from home, and away from mine and Sunset's book."

"What were you doing?" Fluttershy asked.

"Me and my friends were getting things ready for a Hearths Warming Eve play that we were performing in. Princess Celestia even let us stay in Canterlot Castle so we wouldn't be going back to Ponyville every day. So I was never home to get her messages," Twilight said.

"Why were you there for so long?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, the Canterlot Hearths Warming Eve play is, kind of a big deal, so we spent so long practicing and everything, and we aren't even performing it until next week," Twilight replied, "We did the same thing last year. We were having dress rehearsals, setting up the stage, and..."

"And what?" Pinkie asked.

"Having fun," Twilight said, with a harsh, upset tone growing in her voice. "While my friend was being tormented, and having her entire life destroyed around her, I was having fun in Canterlot setting up a stupid play when I should have been here..." she sighed, and took a deep, calming breath, "After the very first message!"

"Why didn't you come then?" a puzzled Pinkie asked, ""Y'know, after the first message.

"Because I thought I knew you..." she replied weakly. "I thought you were my friends from back home, so I thougt you would stay with her, like they would for me..."

"Hold up, I thought we were your friends from back home?" Applejack asked.

"Well, you are. You all are," Twilight replied, "But, you also aren't... It's..." Twilight gave herself a moment to think of the easiest way to explain it, without complicating it. "You see, you're Applejack, and I've got a friend back home called Applejack, and while she may look, talk, and act the same as you... She isn't you." Twilight continued. "Does that make sense?"

"Totally," Pinkie said. "You thought we were your pony friends, so you treated us like them."

"Exactly..." Twilight replied, "But there's one more thing I should have thought about."

"Another thing?" Fluttershy asked.

"Our pasts."

"Your pasts?" Rainbow repeated.

"Yeah," Twilight continued, "Ever since I met them, they've been my best friends. Hell, the same day we met, we saved all of Equestria from Nightmare Moon, but... It's not the same for her, is it?" she asked to no reply, "Sunset has only been friends with you for a few months, and for the three years prior to that, she had the entire school under her 'rule'. I didn't think about that, but I should have..."

"Twilight..." Rarity began, "This isn't your fault."

"Well, it doesn't even matter anymore." Twilight stood back up, "I'm going home."

"What?" the five of them asked in unison.

"Well there's no point in me staying here right now," Twilight replied, "Sunset doesn't want to see me, and if she does change her mind, then I've given her her book back, so she can write to me. Though, I doubt she will."

"So what do we do?" Rainbow asked.

"Right now she just needs her space, so she can think about what to do next," Twilight replied, "whether she comes back to us, or stays where she is,"

"With those sirens?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah, with them. It's not really our choice to make," Twilight replied finally, as she then walked out of Sugercube Corner, leaving the five girls.

Author's Note:

And another one done.

I would really like to know about Twilight's reason for not being here though, simply put, the only way I could think to have her not show up to help Sunset but still believe that Sunset was innocent was to have her not receive the letters from Sunset.

Any and all criticism and comments are appreciated.