• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 23,519 Views, 771 Comments

In a time of need - Small Muffin



After being abandoned by her friends, Sunset Shimmer wanders the steets alone, with no hope left, she gives up, only to be saved at the last second. Meanwhile her friends are trying to find her, and apologize for what they've done.

  • ...
27
 771
 23,519

Leaving?

The beginning of school bell rang throughout the buildings hallways, as students began making their way into the school from the cold outside. Despite all the people walking through the schools entrance, it was rather silent, as none of them said anything to anyone, or even made eye contact to one another.

In short, the atmosphere around the school that day was dark, and dead.

Trixie was one as of those students. She walked into the building, and unzipped her coat, before having a glance around at the other students.

"...Don't suppose anyone has heard from her?" she said. breaking the silence.

The others just turned towards her and gave Trixie a gloomy look. It was all the reply she needed.

"Me neither..." she replied weakly.

Trixie hadn't told anyone where Sunset was, or more accurately, who she was with. Not knowing how her classmates would take it, she had kept the knowledge that she was with the three sirens to herself. Yes everyone was worried sick about her, but telling them that Sunset was in the hands of three former Equestrian monsters, that no one at the school really undestand, might not exactly make anything better.

"What are you doing here!?!?"

Trixie was distracted from her thoughts by a surprised voice infront of her. She looked up to see everyone was looking right at her. "What?"

"Can you move... " A very familiar voice called from behind her.

That's... It took about half a second for Trixie to recognize the voice behind her. It was the same voice from the siren she had ran into yesterday, and the night before when she was looking for Sunset. Trixie turned around, and sure enough, the one behind her was Adagio Dazzle. "Great... It's you..." Trixie said.

She wasn't alone, however. There were three others with her, who had just walked through the front doors of the school. Two of them were her two siren accomplices, Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk, but the third girl was someone in a hooded jacket,

Trixie wasn't dumb by any means, she knew exactly who that hooded girl was, but no one else did.

"What are you doing here?"

"Hey, you're those three freaks, aren't you!?"

"Great, you're the last thing we need!"

"We've got enough problems right now without them."

Everyone probably would have easily figured out it was Sunset under the hood, if it wasn't for her three new... rather unwelcome friends.

Adagio took a step closer to Trixie, "Can we come in?" Adagio asked.

Trixie took a peak over Adagio's shoulder at the hooded girl. While her face was hidden, Trixie somehow knew without a doubt, that It was definitely Sunset under tuat hood. She even noticed her hands were trembling slightly. Not enough that everyone would see, but it was there.

"Well?" Adagio asked. "Can we come in your school?" She repeated.

"What?! You've got to be kidding, get out!" one of the students said.

"Yeah, we've got serious problems right now!" another replied.

"Let them through!!!" Rainbow Dash shouted from the back of the crowd.

The crowd turned their attention to Rainbow, who was accompanied by Spitfire and Lightning Dust, who all slowly, walked closer to Trixie, the sirens and Sunset.

"Rainbow? You're kidding, right?" Lightning asked.

"No, no. Rainbow is right," Trixie replied, "Trixie thinks we should let them in as well." Trixie returned her attention to Adagio, "But just what is it that you want here?"

"We don't want anything," Adagio replied.

"We don't, but she does," Aria continued.

"Don't suppose you would give us directions, would you?" Sonata asked.

"It's up the stairs," Sunset said, pointing to the large staircase in the middle of the hall. That was a choice she would quickly come to regret, as the school students recognized that it was her under the hood.

"Sunset? Is that you?" Spitfire asked.

Lightning moved closer to Sunset, in an attempt to reach out to her. "Sunset? What are you doing with these three?"

"Lightning, I don't think that's a good idea," Dash said.

Before she knew it, Dust felt an incredibly strong grip on her arm. "What the?" Adagio had grabbed Dust's arm, preventing Dust from getting any closer. "Hey! You three stay away from her!" Dust said.

"We should stay away from her?" Adagio asked. "What about you?"

"Yeah!" Sonata continued, "What about all of you? You meanies!"

"Here's a little piece of info for you. We're the only reason she's alive right now!" Aria shouted.

"Um..." Sunset interrupted. The three sirens turned their attention towards her. "Can we just... Get this over with..? They're not worth it..."

Adagio let go of her grip on Lightning, who quickly backed up towards Rainbow and Spitfire.

"Alright. That's probably best anyway. The quicker the better," Adagio said. She took a look around at the crowd of students, who didn't look like they were any mood to put up a fight. "Which way?" she asked.

Sunset once again pointed up the stairs, and the four of them moved towards the staircase.

"Um... Sunset..." Rainbow began weakly as Sunset walked past her. "I just want to say... I'm so-"

"Save your breath, Dash!" Sunset interrupted. As she continued walking. Rainbow didn't even bother catching up to her. Instead, she just stood with the crowd, in complete silence.

The rest of the school hallways were empty, as everyone who wasn't a part of the large crowd was now in their homeroom. This made getting to the principals office simple, since there were no more obstructions.

The four of them approached the office, and Sunset gave a light sigh. "Here we go..." Sunset lifted her arm, ready to knock on the door.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Adagio asked.

"What other choice do I have?" Sunset replied, as she gave the office door a few knocks.

"Come in." Sunset opened the door, and both her and Adagio walked in.

Principal Celestia was sat in her chair, looking through one of three files on her desk. Adagio calmly rested herself against the door as it closed, preventing anyone from interrupting. She had promised Sunset she wouldn't say a word while her and Celestia were talking, but she did want to be in the room with her.

"Do you have any possible idea how much trouble you're in?" Celestia asked.

"Um... Principal..." Sunset said as she took down her hood.

Celestia immediately looked up from her desk, and was in shock at the girl in her office. "Sunset!?... You're back?... We didn't think we'd... I'm sorry, it's just-"

"I'm guessing... From what you just said, you were expecting someone else?" Sunset asked.

"Well... Yes, but you were honestly the last person I was expecting..." Celestia replied weakly. "But, what is she doing here?" she asked, looking towards the siren blocking the door.

"She's with me," Sunset replied. "I know the three of them did, well... What they did, but I swear, they're not here to cause trouble!" she said before Celestia passed a comment on just who Adagio was.

"Well... Alright, I'll take your word for it." Celestia turned her attention back to Sunset. "Why did you come back?" She asked, "If I'm honest, I... We never thought we'd see you again,' she continued.

"That's why I'm here," Sunset replied. "Well, one of the reasons." She sighed.

"One of the reasons?" Celestia repeated, "Honestly I'm surprised you have one reason good enough for you to come back."

"Firstly, I know everybody has been worried about me," Sunset began, "At least they were... After they found out I wasn't doing this... But, they're still worried, so I thought I should come her to let you know that, I'm fine. I'm okay. I'm alright..."

"Sunset, you didn't need to do that," Celestia said.

"You all don't need to be worried about me, cus I'm okay now..." Sunset took a deep breath. "I also want to let you know that... I'm not coming back to CHS."

Celestia nodded. "I... Understand..."

"If I'm honest, it's not something I want to do, but..."

"Sunset, you don't need to explain, I understand perfectly..." Celestia said weakly.

"... I really do want to stay here but..." Sunset continued, "After all my efforts, what I've done, or tried to do to make up for myself, and everything I've tried so hard to convince everbody that I really am different now... When that all gets blown away this easily... It just makes me wonder if there's any point in trying."

"Sunset..."

"I just can't do it anymore. I've tried, I've tried, and I've tried... But in the end, It's clear that nopony really cares about me."

"That's not true!" Celestia replied.

"They never did, and they never will, so I just..." Sunset sighed, and wiped a few tears forming in her eyes. "I just give up!"

"I..." Celestia really didn't know what to say. She was at a complete loss for words.

"Thanks for listening to me." Sunset got up from her seat and turned towards Adagio and the office door.

"SUNSET WAIT!" Celestia shouted, seemingly out of nowhere. Sunset stood still on the spot. "I owe you an explanation. Everyone here does, but as the principal of this school I should've helped you through this, and I owe you an explanation as to why I didn't!"

After a small moment of silence, Sunset turned back toward the chair, and sat back down. "You just heard me out so... Go ahead." Sunset said.

"Thank you," Celestia said. "Well, back when you were... The old you..." she began awkwardly, "You would blame other students for things you had done. Like that one time you blamed Lyra for damaging the sports equipment, or when you blamed Octavia for stealing Bon Bon's hairclip..."

"What's that got to do with this?" Sunset asked.

"Well, when those kind of things happened, I always thought you were innocent, even though everyone else knew you were guilty, and because I thought you were innocent, I never punished you for anything." Celestia continued, "Every time you pulled something, I would always be on your side, bailing you out. Every time."

"I get it..." Sunset mumbled.

"So... When this happened, I thought you were innocent Sunset." Celestia sighed, "I really did think you were innocent, and being set up... But, because everytime I thought that before I was wrong, I thought that I was wrong here. I thought you were innocent, so I told myself I wasn't going to bail you out anymore. I wasn't going to defend you this time."

Sunset didn't give any kind of reply.

"I even went as far as to tell the other teachers to specifically not listen to you this time, not that any of them took much convincing at all." Celestia sighed heavily, "I was trying so hard to not repeat the biggest mistake I ever did at this school, letting you get away with, but... The one time I decide I won't listen to you... Is the one time you really are innocent. I know it may not be the best reason, or even a good reason. But it's my reason," Celestia said weakly.

There was a long silence between the two of them. The only thing that could be heard in the room was the ticking of the clock.

"You said before... That you didn't want to go, Sunset, didn't you?" Celestia asked.

"I don't..." Sunset replied, "I really don't want to... I've got nowhere else to go, and as much as I really want to, I just can't go through this again."

"Well, if, by some miracle you do decide to return here, I promise that I won't ever let this happen to you again," Celestia said, "I promise I'll look out for you."

"Really?" Sunset asked.

"I promise!" Celestia replied, "Please think about it over the weekend. If you really do want to come back, then do, and I'll look after you. But if you don't want to come back, then I hope you find a place more accepting of you than here."

Sunset once again got up from the chair. "Thanks. I'll think about it." She walked toward the door, and Adagio opened it up for them both.

"Please, take care of yourself Sunset." Sunset gave a tiny smile, and walked out the office.

Adagio looked over at Celestia. "You should just be glad you've got that face. It's probably the only reason she listened to you," Adagio said as she walked out the office, and clossed the door behind her.

Author's Note:

Told you this one would be longer.

Any and all criticism and comments are appreciated.

I don't ussualy do this, but... Next chapter is a CMC chapter.